Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
My first cukes.... Toplef10My first cukes.... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

My first cukes.... I22gcj10My first cukes.... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
My first cukes.... Toplef10My first cukes.... 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

My first cukes.... I22gcj10My first cukes.... 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

My first cukes....

+5
camprn
MsMinchin
Megan
Chopper
quiltbea
9 posters

Go down

My first cukes.... Empty My first cukes....

Post  quiltbea 7/26/2010, 5:03 pm

What a surprise. I was at the community garden doing a bit of watering and pushed some leaves aside, and lo and behold, this is what I was able to harvest for today....
My first cukes.... 07-26-10
The smallest is 3" long and the largest is 4 1/4" long. There are some other ones nearly ready for picking as well. Variety is Diament Pickling.
My first cukes.... 07-26-11
Together with the 2 Oregon Spring tomatoes I harvested from my home SFG yesterday, they'll go good with our meatloaf and mashed potatoes for super tonite.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

My first cukes.... Empty Re: My first cukes....

Post  Chopper 7/26/2010, 5:20 pm

Exciting! My cukes are all young plants. I think I planted them too late as the So Cal summer heat is just starting and tends to last through September. Very nice harvest. I am really excited to try making some pickles. I hope I have enough of them.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 7/26/2010, 6:01 pm

Me too, Chopper. There've been some pickle recipes on the board lately that I want to try and some I got last year. I love pickles.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 7/26/2010, 6:22 pm

I am starting to have cukes pile up in my fridge... plus a batch of fresh pickles! There are plenty more coming... Hopefully in the next week or two I will be able to try my hand at canning! Shocked
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  MsMinchin 7/26/2010, 10:36 pm

Me too! I just brought in 6 cukes today because they were getting too big. Those things really like to grow!
I'll have to try some home made pickles, cucumber sandwiches, cucumber salad, cucumbers a la mode...
MsMinchin
MsMinchin

Female Posts : 69

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 7/26/2010, 10:54 pm

I'm doing ok with my cukes, I planted just a pickling variety I put up 7 pints of bread and butters a few weeks back and I have almost enough to put up a batch of dills. My vines are slowing down, I wish they would put out more blooms. 😢 next year I will plant more, I only put in 8 plants.
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 7/27/2010, 12:04 am

Bad weather ect. ect. ect. my cuke plants are almost as big as some of your harvests!!

My first cukes.... 100_2418

One plant out of seven seeds

My first cukes.... 100_2419

Will summer last long enough for fruit?

My first cukes.... 100_2420

Good thing I've got some crock pickles left over from last year! Is it too soon to start talking about how good next year is going to be?! Very Happy

Last edited by boffer on 7/30/2010, 11:13 am; edited 1 time in total
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 7/27/2010, 12:19 am

Hey, boffer, they live. A few weeks of intermitent sunshine and who knows. Checked your weather and it says sunny and hot for the next 10 days. Cross your fingers - might be a good time to fertilize.
Chopper

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 7/27/2010, 1:22 am

Hey Chops,

The funny thing is...I'm an ignorant gardener. After this, my fifth year of SFG, I don't know squat about fertilizing, or much else, because that doesn't interest me. I have taken Mel at his word: I follow his soil making instructions; I stick stuff in the ground; it usually grows; and I have no complaints. I feel like Mel wrote his book just for me. He would have called it "Gardening for Dummies", but the title was already taken!

I'm facing a conundrum this summer: we have folks with decades worth of gardening experience, posting on the forum this year, who are having less than satisfactory results with the SFG system. I, who know little, am very satisfied with my SFG when the weather is decent. Why is that? Are my expectations less than theirs (that would be a bummer!) I don't know.

I love to eat veggies that I have grown, and I enjoy creating things to facilitate growing veggies. But the details of growing veggies is not all that interesting to me. That's why I appreciate SFG: I don't have to know much. Fertilize you say? Uh, OK, maybe fish emulsion?
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 7/27/2010, 3:18 am

Hey, boffer, I am no expert. I just thought a combo of new sun and new food might help. But I don't know. Were it I and I had money, I would go to the local store and see what the best all around organic veggie fertilizer was and get it. If I had to make my own concoction it would be blood and bone meal (you can buy them combined), fish emulsion, epsom salts (1T/gal) and maybe some ironite. I think that covers most of the bases for green growth, stem grown the flower/fruit growth. I am sure others might know better. I only offered because this year seemed such an anomoly you may want to cheat as much as possible. My first cukes.... Icon_smile
Chopper

Back to top Go down

Post  MarcyG 7/27/2010, 8:53 am

I'm new this year to SFG and I had noticed that everything in my SFG beds really wasn't growing. of course I started thinking maybe the bags of compost I bought didn't have in it what they told me at the nursery Maybe I put to much of this not enough of that. So I had decided to use some type of fertilizer I never heard of fish emulsion until being on these forums. I went to my local nursery and found it since then I've used it twice (every 3 weeks) and everything has come alive.
MarcyG
MarcyG

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 7/27/2010, 10:15 am

Boffer....I feel for you, I really do. I'm so new at this, I glean info where I can. Last year was my first year and it was a disaster. My cukes...I think I got 2 wrinkled and mishappen ones from my 2 different plants. They were about a foot high by the end of season.
This year I played with a planting mix of my own, taking into account the needs of plants and info devised from both SFG, the book, Bob Thomson's New Victory Garden and Eliot Coleman's info on Maine gardening that works for him. It seems to be working because my cukes are healthy this year and I've had very little bug damage.
I added some composted manure to each box this spring, then as I planted each seedlings or square of seed, I added a cupful my own mix to the square. If it was a brassica, I also added an extra tablespoon of limestone to the hole.
Of course, weather makes a difference.
Last year we had rain, rain, rain, the end of June and for July, it was a deluge of the wet stuff. Many gardens in Maine were ruined. The organic gardener next to our comm garden lost over 400 tomato plants to late blight.
So weather makes a difference. Its been grand this year for us in Maine with more hot days than usual.
The other day I sprinkled some dried milk around my tomato plants to help stave off blossom end rot. This is a way to add more calcium to the soil, I read. I had found one with BER the day before. I hope it helps.
I hope the coming good weather you will be having does the trick for you.
Good luck. My fingers and toes are crossed for you.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 7/27/2010, 10:25 am

All good thoughts.... but I wanna know why MsM is having her pickles "a la mode"

New seedlings?

Deborah.... dumb luck gardener with cukes very much like boff's (can you eat those harry leaves?)
Tuesday, July 27: Stunning tangerine sunrise, low morning clouds pushed away by warm south-west wind. Blue sky this afternoon. Highs in the mid 70's to 80
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 7/27/2010, 10:37 am

Lavender Debs wrote:All good thoughts.... but I wanna know why MsM is having her pickles "a la mode"

New seedlings?

That took me a minute-good one, Deb! good job!
boffer
boffer

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 7/27/2010, 11:13 am

Thank you Sir B

These are my cukes (had to run snap a shot while the sun was still poking through the clouds)
My first cukes.... July_233
Lemon Cucumber I gave up and bought these in June. I planned to thin them to one or two vines only keeping the first to blossom. I just don't want to thin out any survivors.
My first cukes.... July_234
Oh my, actual blossoms?
My first cukes.... July_235
These are Bush Cucumbers ...the third re-planting (the first two rotted from the rain) No blossoms yet.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Mirjam 7/27/2010, 2:39 pm

Wow, I'm sooo jealous of all you folks already harvesting tomatoes and cukes and so...over here I have two cukes forming, they're now the size of my index finger, but with enough watering and a little sunshine they will get there... tomatoes are nowhere near getting red, but I know some will eventually... I have to be more patient, I know...
I hope I'll get to harvest zuchini too, but up until now the snails are eating all my flowers before they get the chance to get fertilized. Yesterday I picked up a fallen flower and there were 4 snails inside it, munching away... needless to say they ended up in a bucket of salty water... if there was a way to make money with snails, I'd be a millionaire by now...
Mirjam
Mirjam

Female Posts : 151

http://mirjamroos.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 7/30/2010, 11:04 am

LavDebs....I tried lemon cukes last year. That was one of the cukes that made it and I loved it. It looked just like a little lemon.
Mirjam...The cukes are starting to come now so be patient a little longer.
I got a few more over the last few days but we've been eating them as fast as I pick them. Mmmm good.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down