Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Frozen Tomatoes - Page 2 Toplef10Frozen Tomatoes - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Frozen Tomatoes - Page 2 I22gcj10Frozen Tomatoes - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Frozen Tomatoes - Page 2 Toplef10Frozen Tomatoes - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Frozen Tomatoes - Page 2 I22gcj10Frozen Tomatoes - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Today at 11:26 am

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Today at 11:19 am

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 6:57 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Fri Apr 05, 2024 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener Thu Apr 04, 2024 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Frozen Tomatoes

+11
Wyldflower
camprn
happyfrog
quiltbea
junequilt
Megan
ander217
janefss2002
Dunkinjean
Furbalsmom
Chopper
15 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Frozen Tomatoes - Page 2 Empty Re: Frozen Tomatoes

Post  Chopper Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:11 pm

Well, the raw taste was a guess. I think tomatoes are one of the few veggies that you can freeze without boiling first and like you said - no waste! And easy saving. I would be interested if there was a difference in taste between the skin removing boiled and no boiling at all.

I once made a spaghetti sauce with fresh tomatoes, that I cooked for some time, and it was awful. That is where I get my prejudice.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2467
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:14 am

Chopper wrote:I once made a spaghetti sauce with fresh tomatoes, that I cooked for some time, and it was awful. That is where I get my prejudice.

How'd you make it, and how long did you cook it for? If I'm starting with fresh tomatoes, I start them under the broiler.
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:34 pm

Megan wrote:
Chopper wrote:I once made a spaghetti sauce with fresh tomatoes, that I cooked for some time, and it was awful. That is where I get my prejudice.

How'd you make it, and how long did you cook it for? If I'm starting with fresh tomatoes, I start them under the broiler.

That is what I am saying. Fresh, uncooked tomatoes just boiled are not my cup of tea. I think the broiling makes them more flavorful and rich. I cooked for what I thought was quite awhile, but just on a stovetop - and it was all fresh - no tomato sauce or tomato paste added. So, yuk. I vote for broiling all tomatoes that are ultimately going to be used for cooking.
Chopper

Back to top Go down

Frozen Tomatoes - Page 2 Empty "raw" tomatoes

Post  ander217 Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:30 pm

This discussion is interesting to me. I've never heard of anyone broiling or roasting their tomatoes before adding them to tomato sauces. When they are canned they are just basically boiled at a high temperature. Commercial canneries do not roast or broil them, to my knowledge.

Is it possible your "fresh" tomato sauce needed more salt, Chopper? I've found that it seems to take a lot of salt to make tomatoes taste right. Perhaps if they are roasted or broiled first, I could get by with using less salt.

When I save the fresh tomato juice from tomatoes it has a kind of a wonky flavor, but I add some salt and it is then okay - not as good to me as canned juice, but drinkable.
ander217
ander217

Female Posts : 1450

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:11 pm

I don't know where I got the idea to broil my tomatoes, but it works. What I do is blanch and peel them, season well, olive oil, then slow cook them (along with onions and whatever else I want, maybe carrots, onions, peppers) for a long time. Then drain the juices and broil, flipping, to get a little char on them. Dice up, add in the drained liquid, simmer and add whatever else you need to get it to a sauce of a consistency and taste that you like.

Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:22 pm

ander217 wrote: Commercial canneries do not roast or broil them, to my knowledge.

Ander, I don't know but I doubt they broil them either. However I am sure they use higher heat and possibly do it longer than I was able and by the time we get our hands on it it has had time to mellow. Believe me, salt would not have helped. My daughter said to me yesterday. "Remember when you made that tomato sauce from fresh tomatoes and it was so awful?". LOL.

I have added fresh tomatoes and cooked them for other dishes but there was often canned sauce involved or other ingredients. This was an attempt at a spaghetti sauce with only fresh tomatoes and it will not be repeated.

I find the roasting mellows them out just fine and the sauce is ready for whatever recipe you normally use. I don't go to nearly the trouble Megan does, though. Just as the recipe says: cut into quarters with skins and all - add kosher salt, minimally or some basil and olive oil too. Bake 400 for an hour, then all goes into the blender to be used or frozen. I have now made about 6 batches and love it!
Chopper

Back to top Go down

Post  Wyldflower Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:35 pm

I wonder if the problem with the fresh tomato sauce is due to water content. I would think that 'eating tomatoes' have a good bit more water than 'paste tomatoes'. My guess is that you'd have to cook the heck out of fresh tomatoes to reduce to sauce consistency.
Wyldflower
Wyldflower

Female Posts : 530

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:42 pm

Wyldflower wrote:I wonder if the problem with the fresh tomato sauce is due to water content. I would think that 'eating tomatoes' have a good bit more water than 'paste tomatoes'. My guess is that you'd have to cook the heck out of fresh tomatoes to reduce to sauce consistency.

That's why I roasted them. Smile
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:54 pm

Wyldflower wrote:I wonder if the problem with the fresh tomato sauce is due to water content. I would think that 'eating tomatoes' have a good bit more water than 'paste tomatoes'. My guess is that you'd have to cook the heck out of fresh tomatoes to reduce to sauce consistency.

It wasn't the consistency. It was the taste.
Chopper

Back to top Go down

Frozen Tomatoes - Page 2 Empty freezing tomatoes

Post  ander217 Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:43 am

Hmmm, maybe it was the kind of tomatoes you used? As Wyldwood said, paste tomatoes make thicker sauces, although I use whatever I have on hand. I don't know. I can't figure this one out. I've made spaghetti sauce and chili using fresh tomatoes lots of times and I've never had a batch I thought tasted terrible. (Maybe I just have a bad palate?)

If memory serves correctly, commercial canning heats food to 250 degrees while home pressure canners reach about 240, but I don't think water bath canners reach higher temperatures than regular boiling for long periods. Someone please correct me if my memory is faulty on this one.

I'll keep freezing tomatoes my easy way - slip the skins, core, dice, bag, and freeze. However, I do plan to try roasting some just to see if there's an appreciable difference.
ander217
ander217

Back to top Go down

Frozen Tomatoes - Page 2 Empty possible problem?

Post  ander217 Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:53 am

I googled making tomato sauce from fresh tomatoes and a couple of sites recommended straining the seeds first because some varieties have bitter seeds. Is it possible that tomato seeds made your sauce unpalatable?

Most of the sites stressed using only the best quality tomatoes with no bruising or soft spots. I assume yours were top quality, so if it wasn't the seeds that caused the problem I'm at a loss to explain the problems with your fresh sauce.
Frozen Tomatoes - Page 2 601593

I'm glad you found a way to freeze them anyway.
ander217
ander217

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:25 pm

It was simply too fresh. It might have been useful for something, but not spaghetti sauce. Yuk. It had a taste that said it needed to be cooked a heck of a lot longer and not for another 30 minutes. Consistency was not the issue at all. Commercial canners cook to 250 which like you pointed out could be match by a pressure cooker. I obviously just did mine on a stove top. There was and is no fixing it and I will never do it again. LOL Frozen Tomatoes - Page 2 Icon_biggrin

Roast and freeze and use that is fine with me. Or of course there are those handy cans you find in that place where I go to buy my protein once a week. Frozen Tomatoes - Page 2 Icon_wink
Chopper

Back to top Go down

Post  happyfrog Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:57 am

i ended up just dicing up tomatoes - averaging about 2 tomatoes per bag (to get about 20 oz per bag) and squashing air out and freezing.

will let you know how that plays out come winter when i'm making all my winter dishes instead of buying cans of tomatoes. Smile

my husband and i sat together at the table and accomplished this. it was fun. (gotta find those quiet moments with three young children.)

my goal was to have 24 bags ultimately in freezer - as i usually buy 24 large cans of diced tomatoes every winter. we're well on our way to accomplishing that goal - only need 4 more bags. Smile and i can do that easily, just haven't had time - but i sure have the tomatoes. *grin*

bettyann
married 17 years I love you to the most amazing man, blessed with three awesome kids on earth. Smile
happyfrog

Female Posts : 625

Back to top Go down

Frozen Tomatoes - Page 2 Empty Yay!

Post  ander217 Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:03 am

Cheers for you, Happy Frog! cheers

(Your post probably made Boffer cry. Next year will be better, Boff.)
ander217
ander217

Back to top Go down

Post  elliephant Sat May 28, 2011 9:49 pm

I just made up a cookie sheet of Rio Grande paste tomatoes.

End result was a bit seedy, but wonderfully deep red and THICK. Delicious, too!
elliephant

Female Posts : 842

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino Sun May 29, 2011 1:09 pm

For many years, our canned or frozen tomato sauce is a two-step process. First, the destemmed and cut at least in half tomatoes are put in the basket of a steamer-juicer
Frozen Tomatoes - Page 2 D-WHcGsPQC0ieCyiAQ6PFOKZNf6lXdsTIjdQjyNzsviQ43x-8Jg2g3_xNBLgU23gSj5nl3EXPN9mrRODtK-6BvLgr58pRGhEMobbE2r130kL9091pZa3pQsEBCukcQUYN7cIvPN_TWb4f598G1vze17bZsl1_0wPUBFGjy3tXSZlAMG1ndKhxUo2wQHeated on stovetop, and almost-clear juice drained off (saved for Kinda V-8 juice). The pulp left in the top basket is cooled a bit then run through a Squeezo, which strains out skin, seeds, and tough parts (if you add things like celery, onion, garlic).
Frozen Tomatoes - Page 2 31bGMNoJujL._SL500_AA300_The result is tomato sauce, ready for canning or freezing as is, or mixed with seasonings, etc. to make spaghetti sauce. Remember the almost-clear juice left from step 1? I add back a bit of tomato sauce, season it and can it as tomato juice. Most often when we make our tomato sauce, I also make at least one batch of mixed vegetable tomato sauce, using tomatoes, 1 large onion, at least 1 head fresh garlic, couple of large celery stalks, handful (or more) jalapeno peppers, handful of fresh parsley and a double handful of fresh basil. The result is delicious all by itself, but makes a superior spaghetti sauce in mid-winter. Caveat, the one time I added a couple of red beets to the mix it gave the sauce a peculiar red color. Tasted fine, just not the visual I wanted. Wink Happy canning! Nonna
Nonna.PapaVino

Female Posts : 1437

Back to top Go down

Post  elliephant Sun May 29, 2011 2:02 pm

I tried to get my mom's old Squeezo when my dad retired and they moved across the country, but she had already gotten rid of it Sad Those things are $$! I think she got hers at a yard sale. We used to glean the fields and can 100+ quarts of spaghetti sauce each year.
elliephant

Female Posts : 842

Back to top Go down

Post  Nonna.PapaVino Sun May 29, 2011 6:10 pm

Ellie, the above-noted Squeezo has been used almost every year for 28 years, and is still doing well. Let's hear it for all metal! I also use it to make seedless raspberry and blackberry jams--both big hits amongst family members with dentures or bridges.
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Post  The Cat's Other Mother Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:27 pm

quiltbea wrote:Roasted Tomatoes:
by Melissa D'Arabian, Food Network

In a large bowl:
Add sliced half tomatoes (any variety). Sprinkle with salt, pepper, garlic, olive oil, dried thyme.
Toss gently til covered with oil and seasonings.
Place halves on cookie sheet, skin-side down.
Place in preheated 275* oven for two hours.
After One hour, turn the tomatoes over.
Remove from oven. Allow to cool. Place into freezer bags.
Mark and date bags. Freeze.
These can be used in sauces, chili, soups, later.

You can also use these right away wherever you use tomatoes.

This looks good. I've got about 10 more pounds of various tomatoes to put up somehow tomorrow, so I think I'll try some this way.
The Cat's Other Mother

Female Posts : 146

Back to top Go down

Frozen Tomatoes - Page 2 Empty Frozen Tomatoes

Post  Nonna.PapaVino Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:48 pm

Years ago, my mom had to leave home and travel to Boise, ID, to help her aunt recover from surgery. While she was gone, Dad began worrying about all the tomatoes coming on and what to do with them during Mom's absence. His solution: put them all in plastic bags and put them in the freezer. When she returned, Mom thought this solution might have ruined them, but she quickly learned, if you take out the tomatoes you need for a recipe and let them begin to thaw, you can cut an X on the bottom of the 'mater, hold it over the stew or whatever, squeeze gently and the meat will slip right out of the skin into the soup, stew, sauce. Toss the empty skin and proceed with your recipe. Sometimes the best solution is the simplest.
Nonna.PapaVino

Back to top Go down

Post  westie42 Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:51 am

The roasted tom recipe looks real good, think I too will do some that way besides my somewhat similar “sun dried” in the dehydrator gig. Would it make sense to freeze those roasted toms separated on a tray first then combine in a bag making separating for use later a bit easier or is that not a problem?
westie42

Male Posts : 512

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:00 am

westie42 wrote:Would it make sense to freeze those roasted toms separated on a tray first then combine in a bag making separating for use later a bit easier or is that not a problem?
+1 What a Face Frozen Tomatoes - Page 2 311672 , yes frozen separately makes it easier for use later.
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2