Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
automatic watering Toplef10automatic watering 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

automatic watering I22gcj10automatic watering 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
automatic watering Toplef10automatic watering 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

automatic watering I22gcj10automatic watering 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Bokashi
by sanderson Today at 1:08 am

» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 12:46 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

automatic watering

+4
junequilt
Megan
Jay Bird
bonniesherbals
8 posters

Go down

automatic watering Empty automatic watering

Post  bonniesherbals 7/1/2010, 5:15 pm

I'm thinking that automatic watering might be a really good thing, what kind of hoses are you all using for it I'm guessing that you are using soaker hoses, but what kind and are there connectors so that you can go inbetween the boxes and connect them all?
bonniesherbals
bonniesherbals

Female Posts : 32

http://www.bonniesherbals.com

Back to top Go down

automatic watering Empty Re: automatic watering

Post  Jay Bird 7/1/2010, 5:31 pm

Take a look at dripirrigation.com lowes and home depot also carry they same product but its a wee cheaper online by volume
Jay Bird
Jay Bird

Male Posts : 228

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 7/1/2010, 6:03 pm

YES!

I am using "Mister Landscaper" from Lowes. It was cheap (about $32 for the basic kit), easy to install, and it works well. Very happy with it. It is more of a mister than a sprinkler, really.

The basic kit was enough for me to get from the hose bib and around the outside of two SFGs 8x4 and 9x3. I did buy 6 additional elbows to keep the tubing tight to the boxes in the layout I had, and I also got a "Y" diverter to go between the hose bib and this system to keep my regular hose connected.

The basic kit is called a Micro Sprinkler Starter Kit. There are two of them and the only difference is the color of the stakes and 1/4" vinyl tubing (tan or green). The stakes have a max flow rate of 10 gallons per hour; there is a valve on each stake you can twist to shut it off or regulate it down. It has 50 feet of 1/2" line, 5 stake assemblies, assorted fittings (including a backflow valve) and a number of extra heads that spray in various patterns. Also one 1/2" tee and a 1/2" coupling and two end fittings, plus a punch tool to connect things and some 'goof plugs' to plug holes you make by accident or move a stake to a different location on the line.
Green: MLK-81, Lowes Item #71218
Tan: MLK-82T, Lowes Item #248982

There is a timer sold separately (Lowes item #62056). I didn't get one, but my friend did.

It took me a little while to get my head around all the different parts, but once I did it was very easy. Only tool you need is a pair of scissors to cut the tubing, though I did have to apply elbow grease a few times. You can bury the line or not.

I ended up extending the system:
- the 1/4" tubing on the stakes wasn't quite long enough for what I wanted to do
- add a dripper line for my existing landscaping (1/2" tubing and dripper heads)
- added number of additional drippers for container herbs and veggies (1/4" tubing and dripper stakes)
I went in with a friend on the additional tubing. The drippers -- those take some study and you might need to buy a flow regulator. Some are fixed rate, others are adjustable. I got the adjustable type which go from 1 to 10 gph.

They do sell true drip line that has a dripper every 12", too.

And no, they didn't pay me to say that! (They should!)

Last edited by Megan on 7/1/2010, 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

automatic watering Empty dripworks

Post  junequilt 7/1/2010, 6:10 pm

One of our other forum members swears by Dripworks. http://www.dripworksusa.com/
junequilt
junequilt

Back to top Go down

Post  Weed 'em and Reap 7/1/2010, 6:11 pm

I am also very interested in this. Can someone post pictures?
Weed 'em and Reap
Weed 'em and Reap

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 7/1/2010, 6:14 pm

I'd be happy to. My main line is mostly buried under the mulch but I'll see what I can do. It is a lot of fun to play with, though... kinda like tinkertoys Smile
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  Weed 'em and Reap 7/1/2010, 6:30 pm

Hey, look what I found!
Videos about the Mister Landscaper! Very informative!
http://www.maxijet.com/video_page/index.html
It'd still be nice to see pictures of them in a real SFG, though. :-)
Weed 'em and Reap
Weed 'em and Reap

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 7/1/2010, 6:45 pm

Try http://www.misterlandscaper.com, too! Working on uploading photos now.
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 7/1/2010, 7:48 pm

Here's my watering system.

Below are some leftover pieces. Not all are part of the starter kit. Clockwise from the left, sorta: 1/2" line, 1/4" line, various fittings in packages, 1 stake dripper and 2 stake mister/sprinklers, stake extensions. In the middle are some extra sprayer heads, the hole punch and goof plugs.
automatic watering Photo%202-725029

Closeup of one of the stakes. There is a black collar that is ziptied to the stake label when you buy it. DO NOT LOSE THIS. It does not screw on, it just fits on. I don't think you can get them separately (though I bet their customer service might help you.) You can probably put a sprinkler head in without it, but it's like a washer... the head would be difficult to get off again, I think. (The stakes I have planted in the garden are tan with green 1/4" tubing. This is not standard. I bought some 1/4" line without realizing there were two starter kits.... and the store I bought from had the tan starter package but they only sold extra 1/4" line in green... grrr! So when I lengthened the lines (standard stake line is 27") I used the green.)
automatic watering Photo-722977

Hose attachment. Sunlight is too bright, but there is a tee in the shadow against the foundation.
automatic watering Photo%203-726520

Stake drippers.
automatic watering Photo%204-727554

Dripper head (stake is buried)
automatic watering Photo-767243

Wish I could rotate this picture. It shows the 1/2" line going inside a section of hard plastic tubing (bought separately). I did this because the 1/2" line goes across a place I walk on all the time. Also, I forgot to say I also use Earth Staples to anchor 1/2" line in place. You need to buy those separately if you want them.

Also, it is a little hard to see but there is a tee in the 1/4" (green) line that splits it so one dripper runs to the strawberry in the white pot, and another runs to the terra cotta strawberry jar.
automatic watering Photo%202-769866

The other end of the hard plastic tubing... there is a 90-degree elbow here after the 1/2" tubing emerges, and several Earth Staples. (I dug this up so it could be seen; normally it is all covered by the mulch.) There is also a stake plugged in against the landscaping timber here, with the 1/4" line leading away toward the stake.
automatic watering Photo%203-771528

Wider view. That stake is set up with a 90-deg corner spray head. (There are a couple versions of those; this one reaches 4-5 feet.)
automatic watering Photo%204-773965

Other side of same SFG. This stake has an extension on it, and a 320-degree fan spray head on it. It tosses out 5-6 feet.
automatic watering Photo%205-775403

Stake in the corn with another spinner head. Connection unburied.
automatic watering Photo%203-713281
automatic watering Photo-710790

Another spinner head in with the cukes, watermelon, amaranth, kohlrabi, and peas.
automatic watering Photo%202-712110

A second walkway between the SFGs where I used the protective tubing. Unburied.
automatic watering Photo%204-714604

Dripper heads inserted directly into 1/2" line in my landscaping. @Debs - there's my lavender! Smile
automatic watering Photo%205-715716

In action.
automatic watering Photo-748519
automatic watering Photo%202-750415
automatic watering Photo%203-752009
Three drippers running in this pic below.
automatic watering Photo%204-754011
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  Weed 'em and Reap 7/1/2010, 8:30 pm

Wow, Megan, you are awesome.
Thank you so much for taking and posting those pictures!
I think I am sold on the Mister Sprinkler. I checked Lowe's website and they have them in stock at the store down the street... now I just have to convince hubby.
:-)
Thanks again! You win the awesome award!
Weed 'em and Reap
Weed 'em and Reap

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 7/1/2010, 8:34 pm

Weed 'em and Reap wrote:Wow, Megan, you are awesome.
Thank you so much for taking and posting those pictures!
I think I am sold on the Mister Sprinkler. I checked Lowe's website and they have them in stock at the store down the street... now I just have to convince hubby.
:-)
Thanks again! You win the awesome award!

Very Happy Very welcome! If you need help with it, just PM or email me. My friend put theirs in first and it was helpful to both of us to talk about it. I suggest you do what I did... draw your layout on paper first, and figure out how best to minimize the 1/2" line. You get 50 feet with the starter kit. I went through a number of iterations before I got my final install plan. Since my garden is in my front yard, I had to be careful to keep the lines neat and tight up against the boxes and that meant more elbows, etc.... if you have a backyard it might not matter so much to you.

I want to reiterate I got extra 1/4" line to extend the stake lines on everything. A 100-ft box is about $15 if I remember right. I made them all about 4 feet long so I could reach clear across a box if I needed to.
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

automatic watering Empty Soaker watering

Post  barmstr 9/15/2010, 4:52 pm

In Mell's latest book (pg 141), he said if you use the drip system, use the soaker tubes that works with the drip system. Have a one about every 6 inches. What you have to do is find what works best for you. I use 2 gallon per hour soaker ends and also use some that are variable from one gallon to 10 gallons per hour. Next year, I'm going to try the soaker tubes on one of the boxes.

Do we hear the veggies talking yet?
Bruce
barmstr
barmstr

Male Posts : 62

Back to top Go down

Post  Squat_Johnson 9/15/2010, 5:46 pm

I have had good luck with soaker hoses. My three boxes are 4' x 24'. I have a 75' soaker that runs up, back, and up. I have regular water hose that connects from a 4 way splitter at the source. I have them underground, to prevent fungal problems.

It works great after plants are established. When they are little, I spray them with a water hose.
Squat_Johnson
Squat_Johnson

Male Posts : 440

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 9/15/2010, 7:37 pm

An update: I split cost of that 1/4" line with a friend, and ended up using not a whole lot of it, but what I did use was very helpful. I've toyed with the idea of buying a timer next year, but I think I'll probably pass. I like the "visiting time" that turning on and off gives me, plus I do vary timing quite a bit. (We don't travel, but if we did, I'm sure I'd get a timer.)
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  acara 9/15/2010, 9:55 pm

I use the DIG irrigation system on everything in my yard. The SFG is alll rigged up with 2 GPH drippers, but I use various miisters, sprayers, sprinklers & flag drippers with my other plants.

Here is the SFG Garden (Ran the 1/2" main line internal to the box before I planted):

automatic watering DSCN0777

I also have both of my main feeder lines hooked to automatic timers with zone programing. I can water on different days, at different times and in different locations (4 programable areas per manifold.

Manifold is on left hand side of picture;

automatic watering Day2d

It's an absolute godsend for those late days at work when I dont get time to water, and for when I travel on business.
acara
acara

Male Posts : 1012

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down