Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Help please, can't find 5 different composts here. Toplef10Help please, can't find 5 different composts here. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Help please, can't find 5 different composts here. I22gcj10Help please, can't find 5 different composts here. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Help please, can't find 5 different composts here. Toplef10Help please, can't find 5 different composts here. 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Help please, can't find 5 different composts here. I22gcj10Help please, can't find 5 different composts here. 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Today at 3:09 am

» N & C Midwest: October 2024
by OhioGardener 10/16/2024, 6:18 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 10/11/2024, 5:31 pm

» Confirm what this is
by sanderson 10/11/2024, 2:51 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 10/10/2024, 5:47 pm

» Harlequin Beetles?
by sanderson 10/7/2024, 3:08 pm

» Preserving A Bumper Tomato Harvest with Freezing vs Canning
by sanderson 10/7/2024, 3:05 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 10/6/2024, 4:20 pm

» Greetings from Southeastern Wisconsin
by OhioGardener 10/6/2024, 12:05 pm

» N & C Midwest: September 2024
by OhioGardener 9/30/2024, 4:13 pm

» The SFG Journey-Biowash
by OhioGardener 9/29/2024, 8:33 am

» Fall is For Garlic Planting
by Scorpio Rising 9/28/2024, 12:19 am

» source for chemical-free lanscape fabric
by Woodsong 9/19/2024, 10:51 am

» Hurricane
by sanderson 9/14/2024, 5:42 pm

» Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas
by sanderson 9/12/2024, 2:09 am

» Old Mulch and Closing Beds for Winter
by Scorpio Rising 9/11/2024, 8:23 pm

» Pest Damage
by WBIowa 9/8/2024, 2:48 pm

» cabbage moth?
by jemm 9/8/2024, 9:15 am

» adding compost yearly
by sanderson 9/5/2024, 2:16 am

» N & C Midwest: August 2024
by OhioGardener 8/31/2024, 8:13 pm

» Article - Create a Seed Library to Share the Extras
by OhioGardener 8/26/2024, 4:09 pm

» Best Tasting Parthenocarpic Cucumber?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 7:07 pm

» Winter Squash Arch
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 8:02 am

» Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries
by OhioGardener 8/19/2024, 10:09 am

» Looking for a local source for transplants.... Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:26 am

» Hi, y'all. I'm new to everything in Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:21 am

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 8/14/2024, 5:47 pm

» Hi from N. Georgia
by AtlantaMarie 8/13/2024, 8:57 am

» Hello from Atlanta, Georgia
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:09 am

» growing tomatoes from seed outside
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:05 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Help please, can't find 5 different composts here.

+5
LaFee
GloriaG
milaneyjane
Retired Member 1
hayjude
9 posters

Go down

Help please, can't find 5 different composts here. Empty Help please, can't find 5 different composts here.

Post  hayjude 6/3/2010, 10:02 am

Hi, We are here in north Florida, Lake Butler, and have gotten my plants all started and redy to transplant. Now we have the sfg boxs built on the back of the 5th wheel and ready to make Mel's mix but can't find 5 diferent kinds of compost. Anyone know where to look, have checked Walmart, Lowes and Home Depot but no luck. Next year I will have my own going but really need help now.
hayjude

Female Posts : 10

Back to top Go down

Help please, can't find 5 different composts here. Empty Re: Help please, can't find 5 different composts here.

Post  Retired Member 1 6/3/2010, 2:27 pm

Around here, all three stores you mention carry cow or steer manure but different brands. That's three right there. HD has Scotts brand of manure which has two different kinds in it: cow and poultry. And the last time I was at Lowes, I saw cotton burr soil conditioner, which is compost. Not all composts are actually called that. Read the ingredients label. Plus many urban areas compost and it can be obtained for free or almost. Most plant nurseries also carry compost, either in bulk or bagged.
Believe me, this time of year it is out there -- you just have to read the backs of bags. You are looking for organic material, forest material, manure, "no field dirt" -- stuff like that.
Retired Member 1

Female Posts : 904

Back to top Go down

Help please, can't find 5 different composts here. Empty Re: Help please, can't find 5 different composts here.

Post  milaneyjane 6/3/2010, 4:00 pm

I would call local nurseries and landscape companies. Also what about grocery store greenhouses (the ones set up in parking lots?). The best compost I found was from our chain grocery store out in their store garden area in the lot. The nursery that had the compost cost three times as much so I just used a smaller amount from there. Do you have Kmart or anything like that?
milaneyjane
milaneyjane

Back to top Go down

Help please, can't find 5 different composts here. Empty Ingenious!!!!!

Post  GloriaG 6/3/2010, 6:03 pm

Hi hayjude,

If I'm reading your post correctly it sounds like you're full time RV'rs who built your boxes right in the bed of your 5th-wheel.

How great is that!!!!! I know gardeners are creative, but you are tops - you get to take your garden right along with you. Help please, can't find 5 different composts here. Icon_bounce Help please, can't find 5 different composts here. Icon_bounce Help please, can't find 5 different composts here. Icon_bounce

Please send pictures. I'm sure we'd all love to see them.
GloriaG

Female Posts : 440

http://www.laketrailstudio.com

Back to top Go down

Post  LaFee 6/3/2010, 6:07 pm

Just do the best you can. I ended up with two kinds of horse manure and one type of compost...and that's all that was available this year.

And my garden is going great...I've nicknamed my radishes The Bouncing Radishes because they sprout so fast in Mel's Mix that it's more like the seeds have bounced.
LaFee

Female Posts : 1022

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin.B 6/3/2010, 8:10 pm

I was in my local DIY store today and spotted a rather good one , at first i saw manure compost , but on further investigation it said contains at least 4 different animal manures . I didnt read further ,but i'm sure if i had it would have listed which animals provided the goodies inside .

So i've been pretty lucky in that i can easily find one more and some on top .Not sure if they have B&Q in the states ,but for people in europe it may help
Colin.B

Male Posts : 28

Back to top Go down

Post  extremesoccermom 6/3/2010, 10:25 pm

Do you have a Whole Foods nearby I drove by mine tonight and noticed they had 2 kinds of compost and a bag of worm castings. They were a little pricy but I may stop tomorrow to pick up at least one bag.
extremesoccermom

Female Posts : 80

Back to top Go down

Post  SirTravers 6/3/2010, 11:23 pm

Walmart will have steer manure in a yellow and white bag along with Natures Way composted mulch in a white and orange bag. Home depot should have the same natures way compost. Lowes will have a white and yellow bag that says organic humus that's good. They may have an alternative compost there too. Check for composted cottonseed hulls. They are a good one usually at garden centers. Try asking on your local Freecycle list. Someone should have some other types of compost they are willing to share.
SirTravers

Male Posts : 327

Back to top Go down

Post  Chopper 6/4/2010, 12:55 am

I echo the previous sentiment. If you cannot find 5 different kinds don't sweat it too much. Just do what you can. Worst case scenario is that you may have to add a little veggie fertilizer somewhere down the road. I actually was getting my SFG info second hand and did not know about the 5 diff kinds so I didn't even try and so far so good. I do give my babies a mix of fish emulsion and epsom salts every other week and at one point I ground up some calcium-magnesium pills for the health of one square of green beans.
Chopper

Female Posts : 2464
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down