Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Water and SFG Toplef10Water and SFG 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Water and SFG I22gcj10Water and SFG 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Water and SFG Toplef10Water and SFG 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Water and SFG I22gcj10Water and SFG 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Thu Sep 05, 2024 6:37 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener Thu Sep 05, 2024 2:01 pm

» adding compost yearly
by sanderson Thu Sep 05, 2024 2:16 am

» N & C Midwest: September 2024
by Scorpio Rising Wed Sep 04, 2024 9:30 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Mon Sep 02, 2024 3:10 pm

» N & C Midwest: August 2024
by OhioGardener Sat Aug 31, 2024 8:13 pm

» Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas
by middlemamma Fri Aug 30, 2024 2:04 am

» Article - Create a Seed Library to Share the Extras
by OhioGardener Mon Aug 26, 2024 4:09 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising Fri Aug 23, 2024 8:13 pm

» Best Tasting Parthenocarpic Cucumber?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Wed Aug 21, 2024 7:07 pm

» Pest Damage
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Wed Aug 21, 2024 11:24 am

» Winter Squash Arch
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Wed Aug 21, 2024 8:02 am

» Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries
by OhioGardener Mon Aug 19, 2024 10:09 am

» Looking for a local source for transplants.... Sarasota, FL
by sanderson Mon Aug 19, 2024 3:26 am

» Hi, y'all. I'm new to everything in Sarasota, FL
by sanderson Mon Aug 19, 2024 3:21 am

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener Wed Aug 14, 2024 5:47 pm

» Hi from N. Georgia
by AtlantaMarie Tue Aug 13, 2024 8:57 am

» Hello from Atlanta, Georgia
by sanderson Tue Aug 13, 2024 3:09 am

» growing tomatoes from seed outside
by sanderson Tue Aug 13, 2024 3:05 am

» 15-Minute Garlic Sautéed Eggplant
by Scorpio Rising Mon Aug 12, 2024 7:25 pm

» Downsizing Gardens for the Autumn of our lives
by Hollysmac Tue Aug 06, 2024 10:37 pm

» Golden Beets
by Scorpio Rising Tue Aug 06, 2024 7:03 pm

» Hi all!
by sanderson Tue Aug 06, 2024 12:56 am

» DIY Tomato Trellis for Birdie's Tall Raised beds
by sanderson Tue Aug 06, 2024 12:48 am

» Got zucchini? Toot your own horn!
by OhioGardener Mon Aug 05, 2024 9:17 am

» Compost not hot
by Aintyergrandpaschickenpoo Mon Aug 05, 2024 8:29 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by nrstooge Thu Aug 01, 2024 6:57 am

» Zucchini Cobbler
by sanderson Thu Jul 25, 2024 11:38 pm

» Vertical Zucchini
by sanderson Thu Jul 25, 2024 11:34 pm

» Cover Crops to Kill Nematodes
by dstack Thu Jul 18, 2024 5:43 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Water and SFG

5 posters

Go down

Water and SFG Empty Water and SFG

Post  Chopper Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:03 pm

One of the selling points of a SFG is less water use. I have seen people comment that they are using MORE water. Hard to tell here b/c So Cal gets no natural water from now until fall pretty much so water addition is always needed.

Some of my beds are MM exactly as Mel suggests and some are fudged for budget purposes. I do not notice a lot of difference from bed to be water wise. However, I did mulch a few of my plants with about an inch of dried grass clippings and have noticed that the soil under the clippings stays cool and moist while the soil in the exposed dirt is moist under the top crust, but the top definitely dries out.

Any other water input or observations? Maybe it is not as much of an issue once the plants get bigger and shade the ground more?
Chopper

Female Posts : 2464
Location : Warner Springs, CA USDA Zone 8a, Sunset Zone 7 (I think)

http://thezimmermannfamilytoo.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Water and SFG Empty Re: Water and SFG

Post  Megan Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:28 pm

I feel your pain, at least in memory, because I lived in So Cal for about 7 years. It was miserable trying to keep a few simple flowers alive, much less a whole garden!

Mine bed mixes are fudged too, have to admit, but everything does have peat and vermiculite and does seem to drain nicely.

I had hoped to go the bucket route, supplemented by inverting a few bottles with holes punched in them into the ground near some of the really thirsty plants (watermelon, cukes, etc)... but just a week or so taught me that was not going to work for me. I would love to commune with the plants by hand-ladling each one a dipper of water, but I simply don't have the time to do that 2 to 3 times a day (not to mention the time it takes to re-fill that bucket.) So I installed a buried misting system over Memorial Day. It cost under $50 and is working very well so far. I am still playing with the different sprinkler heads (different coverage patterns) and will probably change those out and/or move them as the plants get bigger, but that won't be difficult. (I probably will still half-bury those gallon jugs by the watermelon and cukes, though.)

The misting system has only been running a few days so I am still playing with it and not sure how it impacts our water bill. I have been running it 15-20 minutes in the morning on days we don't expect rain. (Today I gave it a second 20 minutes this evening, because there seems to be a growth spurt going on and it's been a very hot couple of days.) I'm hoping I can eventually get to watering 30 minutes ever other morning, just still learning how the soil reacts and what our wacky weather is doing.

I am not sure what I am going to do about mulch. No grass clippings as most of my lawn is gone now! I do have some straw left so I'll probably spread that a bit later. Sad to say, a few of my plants are still so small they'd be lost in it! Wink
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3348

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  martha Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:10 pm

My garden is too big this year for the individual ladling approach. I do still think I use a lot less water, because with the hose on a gentle stream, I am still watering the individual plants. At some point, if the weather doesn't send rain on a convenient schedule, I will have to soak the entire bed, so there is reserve moisture for the little guys, but for the moment, although I do miss the individual quality time with each plant, it definitely takes less extra water than using a hose on a regular garden.

I do suspect that the individualized misting system or similar things would be better than what I am doing, but for me, that will be next year.
martha
martha

Female Posts : 2177

Back to top Go down

Post  mybeth Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:24 pm

We have had some super warm weather lately and I have been watering in the morning and at night just for a few minutes with the misting setting. Texas has been unseasonably hot though. In the spring and fall, I was doing every few days .
mybeth
mybeth

Female Posts : 7

http://www.blogger.com/mybethlecroy

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:54 pm

martha wrote:I do suspect that the individualized misting system or similar things would be better than what I am doing, but for me, that will be next year.

Martha, it's not really individualized misting per plant, but there are stakes which you can locate here and there, and each stake supports a head which can distribute mist in a variety of patterns. (E.g. 90-degree spread, 180, 240, 360, and a number of other ways.) I have two stakes per bed (they are 9x3 and 8x4 beds) and if I planned it a bit better I could probably get away with 1 per while the plants are small. The starter kit was just $31, but I ended up buying a handful of 90-degree T connectors so the system would fit more neatly, plus a Y-diverter for the water bib so I could still use my regular hose when needed. Good luck with it next year if you try it; it was easy to put in!
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3348

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  timwardell Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:41 pm

My MM is by the book and I've mulched with 1-2 inches of pine needles. Exposed MM dries out in a hurry while the stuff under the mulch stays moist much longer. It's been in the mid 90's all week and is expected to hit 100 this weekend. The lawn sprinklers get most of the SFG twice a week. I use a drip line on the other days that I run for about 45 minutes to an hour. Occasionally I'll water by hand with the hose just to spend some quality time with my plants. Overall though I'd say I'm watering more often, but using less water when I do, and I'm not wasting any water since every square is planted.
timwardell
timwardell

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 778

http://www.timwardell.com/gardening/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum