Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Greetings from a haggard mom Toplef10Greetings from a haggard mom 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Greetings from a haggard mom I22gcj10Greetings from a haggard mom 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Greetings from a haggard mom Toplef10Greetings from a haggard mom 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Greetings from a haggard mom I22gcj10Greetings from a haggard mom 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Yesterday at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Greetings from a haggard mom

5 posters

Go down

Greetings from a haggard mom Empty Greetings from a haggard mom

Post  MamaV 3/1/2024, 4:55 pm

Hello everyone, 

I'm trying to kickstart a garden at our new home, but I have a bad habit of wanting to start things and never actually doing it. I've found that if I join a forum, I'm more encouraged to keep doing the thing, so here I am! 

I'm interested in planting fruits and veggies that I know my family will eat (no sense in starting something we'll waste) and experimenting with flowers. I'm aiming to be as practical as possible (e.g. lazy) so I'm trying to figure out what works best for a busy Mom on a small lot. I've been successful with tomatoes and almost successful with cucumbers (the flowers died and nothing came out of the plants after, for some reason Sad ) and I'm open to trying anything twice. 

I'm on a corner lot with a very nice stretch of land running east and west, shaded only in the early morning with our neighbor's house; by noon it's bright. Now, as the sun sets, tree shadows could be a problem, and for the life of me I can't remember what they did last summer, which doesn't help. For now though, it's definitely the sunniest part of our land. 

I'm hoping to plant green beans, cucumbers, summer squash, acorn squash or butternut squash, sugar snap peas, carrots, lettuce, strawberries, potatoes (I think those need shade, so I'll put them someplace else), melons, and maybe peach trees if my winter experiment succeeded. I killed the avocado seeds I started a year ago so I'm trying to be hopeful...Anyway, I think that's all that springs to mind right now. I'd love to try broccoli, cauliflower, and maybe cabbage, but I feel like I heard those were difficult, so we'll see. 

I'm joining a few forums at once to see if any (or all) stick, so if you see this same message somewhere else, it's me, being lazy again. Thanks for the opportunity to share, everyone! 
~Lucy
MamaV
MamaV

Female Posts : 4

Scorpio Rising likes this post

Back to top Go down

Greetings from a haggard mom Empty Re: Greetings from a haggard mom

Post  OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 5:08 pm

Welcome to the forum, from SW Ohio.  It is not clear to me from your description if you plan on using raised beds, or if you are planning on using Square Foot Gardening?  Have you read either the 2nd or 3rd edition of the All New Square Foot Gardening?

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4517

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/2/2024, 2:12 am

MamaV, From years of experience on this Forum, the best advice I can give you is to read either the 2nd or 3rd Edition of ALL NEW Square Foot Gardening. Check out from the library, order on Amazon, buy used on eBay. The books are easy read with lots of photos.

Browse the Square Foot Gardening Foundation website. https://squarefootgardening.org/

If you get inspired:

- Involve the kids
- Place the garden where you will see it
- Grow what you like
- Start small with one bed
- Download a vegetable planting guide for your area from the County Master Gardeners or Ag Extension

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

MamaV and TxSeeds&Sourdough like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  MamaV 3/2/2024, 10:31 am

OhioGardener wrote:Welcome to the forum, from SW Ohio.  It is not clear to me from your description if you plan on using raised beds, or if you are planning on using Square Foot Gardening?  Have you read either the 2nd or 3rd edition of the All New Square Foot Gardening?
Hello from NE Ohio! I'm not sure what to use yet, hence my forays into different forums. I'm also looking into books to read to figure out what suits my situation and goals best, so I'll add those to my list!
MamaV
MamaV

Back to top Go down

Post  MamaV 3/2/2024, 10:32 am

sanderson wrote:MamaV,  From years of experience on this Forum, the best advice I can give you is to read either the 2nd or 3rd Edition of ALL NEW Square Foot Gardening.  Check out from the library, order on Amazon, buy used on eBay.  The books are easy read with lots of photos.

Browse the Square Foot Gardening Foundation website. 

If you get inspired:

- Involve the kids
- Place the garden where you will see it
- Grow what you like
- Start small with one bed
- Download a vegetable planting guide for your area from the County Master Gardeners or Ag Extension

Hello! I'll look into that book, and I didn't know planting guides existed! I'll start trying to find one now. Thanks!
MamaV
MamaV

sanderson and Scorpio Rising like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Turan 3/3/2024, 2:13 pm

My memories from when I was a haggard mom are that I needed to start small and find a way to keep it organized and have kids involved. Also it had to be cheap. So raised beds with wooden sides came around when kids were bigger and my knees protested at kneeling. I made raised bed/berms to concentrate my good soil, and the berms on top were 2-3 feet across with enough room between berms to mow the  annual rye grass (rye grass out competes most all weeds and adds organic rich compost to the soil to be added annually). Then I used the square foot garden principles of the squares and spacing with in the squares and mixing of plants, in other words I used that form of organizing. In my case there was a lot of annual flowers among the vegetables. The kids each had their own 3'x3' garden space to grow big seeds, a few nursery plants, and various trucks and fairy towns. We made a pole bean tipis big enough for them to crawl in, and sunflower houses too. I bent cattle panels into hoops for plants to climb over and make tunnels for kids to climb through. Cherry tomatoes and sugar snap peas are great for tunnels and provide the best snacks. This is not orthodox square foot gardening, I used what was useful for me.

Find more about Weather in Belgrade, MT
Turan
Turan

Female Posts : 2620

sanderson, Scorpio Rising and MamaV like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  MamaV 3/4/2024, 2:20 pm

Turan wrote:My memories from when I was a haggard mom are that I needed to start small and find a way to keep it organized and have kids involved. Also it had to be cheap. So raised beds with wooden sides came around when kids were bigger and my knees protested at kneeling. I made raised bed/berms to concentrate my good soil, and the berms on top were 2-3 feet across with enough room between berms to mow the  annual rye grass (rye grass out competes most all weeds and adds organic rich compost to the soil to be added annually). Then I used the square foot garden principles of the squares and spacing with in the squares and mixing of plants, in other words I used that form of organizing. In my case there was a lot of annual flowers among the vegetables. The kids each had their own 3'x3' garden space to grow big seeds, a few nursery plants, and various trucks and fairy towns. We made a pole bean tipis big enough for them to crawl in, and sunflower houses too. I bent cattle panels into hoops for plants to climb over and make tunnels for kids to climb through. Cherry tomatoes and sugar snap peas are great for tunnels and provide the best snacks. This is not orthodox square foot gardening, I used what was useful for me.
This is so smart! My little girl just turned 1, so she won't be very helpful yet, but I'm certain she'll try to be involved, and this is just the ticket! Plus I love tunnels  Very Happy I'm hoping to go to the library with her today to find some gardening books and get started on making a plan for actually doing things instead of dreaming about it! Thanks!
MamaV
MamaV

sanderson and Scorpio Rising like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 3/4/2024, 3:04 pm

Hi MamaV!  Welcome from a fellow Buckeye!  I think your kids and you will like the simplicity of the SFG method.  One box is enough, and you already know what you like!  I hope you find inspiration!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

sanderson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

If you look at 10 books of gardening, and one is an edition of ALL NEW Square Foot Gardening, you will see that it narrows all the alternatives down to one simple method.

I was in Barnes and Nobles book store the other day looking for a gardening book about indoor gardening (which I don't and wouldn't do, but I was curious). I had a long talk with the salesman about different books on the shelf. He asked, if I had to recommend just one book, which one. I pulled our book off the shelf and showed him the photos, diagrams, chapters, especially the one on Mel's Mix. I told him I recommend this book to beginning gardeners. Even if one doesn't want to use the method, there is so much information and a lot of take away. Wink

A second book I recommend is Teaming with Microbes by Lowenfels and Fields. We owe our existence to these little creatures in our dirt.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content