Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Trellises - help me locate mine, please? - Page 2 Toplef10Trellises - help me locate mine, please? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Trellises - help me locate mine, please? - Page 2 I22gcj10Trellises - help me locate mine, please? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Trellises - help me locate mine, please? - Page 2 Toplef10Trellises - help me locate mine, please? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Trellises - help me locate mine, please? - Page 2 I22gcj10Trellises - help me locate mine, please? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest: October 2024
by OhioGardener 10/16/2024, 6:18 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 10/15/2024, 5:35 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 10/11/2024, 5:31 pm

» Confirm what this is
by sanderson 10/11/2024, 2:51 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 10/10/2024, 5:47 pm

» Harlequin Beetles?
by sanderson 10/7/2024, 3:08 pm

» Preserving A Bumper Tomato Harvest with Freezing vs Canning
by sanderson 10/7/2024, 3:05 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 10/6/2024, 4:20 pm

» Greetings from Southeastern Wisconsin
by OhioGardener 10/6/2024, 12:05 pm

» N & C Midwest: September 2024
by OhioGardener 9/30/2024, 4:13 pm

» The SFG Journey-Biowash
by OhioGardener 9/29/2024, 8:33 am

» Fall is For Garlic Planting
by Scorpio Rising 9/28/2024, 12:19 am

» source for chemical-free lanscape fabric
by Woodsong 9/19/2024, 10:51 am

» Hurricane
by sanderson 9/14/2024, 5:42 pm

» Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas
by sanderson 9/12/2024, 2:09 am

» Old Mulch and Closing Beds for Winter
by Scorpio Rising 9/11/2024, 8:23 pm

» Pest Damage
by WBIowa 9/8/2024, 2:48 pm

» cabbage moth?
by jemm 9/8/2024, 9:15 am

» adding compost yearly
by sanderson 9/5/2024, 2:16 am

» N & C Midwest: August 2024
by OhioGardener 8/31/2024, 8:13 pm

» Article - Create a Seed Library to Share the Extras
by OhioGardener 8/26/2024, 4:09 pm

» Best Tasting Parthenocarpic Cucumber?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 7:07 pm

» Winter Squash Arch
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 8:02 am

» Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries
by OhioGardener 8/19/2024, 10:09 am

» Looking for a local source for transplants.... Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:26 am

» Hi, y'all. I'm new to everything in Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:21 am

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 8/14/2024, 5:47 pm

» Hi from N. Georgia
by AtlantaMarie 8/13/2024, 8:57 am

» Hello from Atlanta, Georgia
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:09 am

» growing tomatoes from seed outside
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:05 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Trellises - help me locate mine, please?

+2
sanderson
Soose
6 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Trellises - help me locate mine, please? - Page 2 Empty Re: Trellises - help me locate mine, please?

Post  Soose 4/27/2022, 10:21 pm

Have any of you ever used the handheld tape machines to tie plants to trellises?
Like this:  (will see if it'll let me just paste in a thumbnail)

I was thinking today of buying one.

Trellises - help me locate mine, please? - Page 2 ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fi5.walmartimages.com%2Fasr%2Fb656f087-cc4c-47be-a79d-d92092855a88.671e70ebb0b4eda2fda6e966b460ada7
Soose
Soose

Back to top Go down

Trellises - help me locate mine, please? - Page 2 Empty Re: Trellises - help me locate mine, please?

Post  Soose 4/28/2022, 9:03 am

About the tape/stapler...  are there alternatives for vining plants, as SFG seems to rely heavily where possible on going vertical with trellises?
Does anyone make a similar machine that uses sticky tape instead of staples?  (I see comments that the staple part has gone bad.)
Seems this machine would be a good investment.  I saw it on the Texas Prepper channel, and he really recommended one.

[ Can't find a way to edit that post or I'd have just tacked that onto the inquiry. ]

I looked up the 14g solid one-conductor electrical wire and 25ft lengths were available for under $7 at Home Depot here.  500ft rolls about $75.
That would last forever!    I know Lowe's must have them, too.  But I'll check our stash.  I'd already thought of some much thinner wire cutoffs
that I surely still have from years ago, but they're too thin for trellis construction, and the tape machine looks more convenient for tying stuff to
trellises.

Hope to finish off enough more grids and then erect my first trellis today just on the northern side of one box.  See how it works.
I may have to wait for a second hand, I'm alone in the garden this week.
Soose
Soose

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 4/28/2022, 9:35 am

Before moving to using tomato cages, I used clips for the tomatoes, and they worked great. Easy to install, easy to remove, easy to re-use.

https://www.amazon.com/Vegetable-Garden-Tomato-Trellis-Clips/dp/B00579X2HC?th=1

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4741

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Soose likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Soose 4/28/2022, 9:47 am

OhioGardener wrote:Before moving to using tomato cages, I used clips for the tomatoes, and they worked great. Easy to install, easy to remove, easy to re-use.

https://www.amazon.com/Vegetable-Garden-Tomato-Trellis-Clips/dp/B00579X2HC?th=1

OhioGardener, how big are your tomato cages?  These are for bush tomatoes? 
I've seen some big ones that fit a whole bed made out of sections of cattle panels, both side vertical and interior horizontal sections at the mid point and above.
Soose
Soose

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/28/2022, 2:56 pm

I use the following.  All are washed at the end of the summer season for the following summers.  

I use the 1/2" green vinyl garden tape for overhead tomato supports and tying really thick stems to the trellis netting or stakes or cages.  I use a "half bow" so I can remove easily and wash.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/180-ft-8-MIL-Green-Plant-Tie-Tape-4-Rolls-ZL0014-8ML-4PK/314466795

I use the big green ones for the tomato, pepper and eggplants.  The little ones for skinny vining stems like cucumbers.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/allFENZ-2-in-Plant-Support-Clips-50-Pack-PSC50/315448500

I also use what OG uses for skinny vines like cucumbers and winter squashes, luffa, cantaloupe . .

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087R7F4WZ/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B087R7F4WZ&pd_rd_w=kLmqz&pf_rd_p=57cbdc41-b731-4e3d-aca7-49078b13a07b&pd_rd_wg=HZeJ6&pf_rd_r=HWVR5W2A7FREWAV9S8WY&pd_rd_r=9101995f-2039-4bc0-b8c5-dd32f19a3859&s=lawn-garden&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyWjhZRjU2V1ZaUFlDJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNzgwMTExMTFaQlVTMUxSQVNNUCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNDM3MTk1MTAwRUdRNDg0SVg3MCZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2RldGFpbF90aGVtYXRpYyZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Trellises - help me locate mine, please? - Page 2 Tomato47

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21617

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 4/28/2022, 3:57 pm

Soose wrote:OhioGardener, how big are your tomato cages?  These are for bush tomatoes? 
I've seen some big ones that fit a whole bed made out of sections of cattle panels, both side vertical and interior horizontal sections at the mid point and above.

They are for indeterminate tomatoes, which grow to about 8' tall generally.

I made the tomato cages out of cattle panels. They are 18" square. The cages are 8' tall, but about one foot is pressed into the ground to support them, leaving about 7' for the tomatoes.  They are super durable, and will be very long lasting.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

sanderson and Soose like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Soose 4/28/2022, 7:33 pm

So you are getting 3 of these 8ft tall tomato cages (18" square) out of two cattle panels.
Good deal. 

That means you're giving your indeterminate potatoes 1 and a half squares.
I would only be able to plant two tomatoes instead of 3 across the narrow back of my
trellised north side.  What should I do?
Soose
Soose

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 4/28/2022, 7:58 pm

Soose wrote:So you are getting 3 of these 8ft tall tomato cages (18" square) out of two cattle panels.
Good deal. 

Actually I get 2 8' tomato cages out of one cattle panel. I cut the 16' panel in half lengthwise, then cut each of those sections into a 36" x 8' section. I bend the panel to a 90º angle lengthwise so each side is 18" wide.  Put two of those sections together to make a 18" square.

That means you're giving your indeterminate potatoes 1 and a half squares.

I put 4 cages along the north side of an 8' long bed, and plant other things, such as lettuce, radishes, etc., to the south side of them. Have successfully done this with 8 tomato cages for several years.

I would only be able to plant two tomatoes instead of 3 across the narrow back of my trellised north side.  What should I do?

Don't know, just don't know...

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Soose 4/29/2022, 7:56 am

OhioGardener, thanks, your cattle panels are wider than ours.  Sounds like yours are 72" wide.  Ours are 50" x 16".  (I think they used to be 54" but I just looked.)

I'd like to know how to bend a cattle panel, please.  Clamp between boards and bend/hammer/lever?  Any tips?

[ Since I'm starting so far up in this raised bed, my little trellises (less than 5ft above planting surface) are just not going to be tall enough or long enough for most of these tomato plants.  I had no idea tomatoes could get so tall.  We have still not decided how to enclose the garden but one option, an 8ft ceiling above ground, just won't cut it with trellises so high.    ]
Soose
Soose

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 4/29/2022, 8:36 am

Soose wrote:OhioGardener, thanks, your cattle panels are wider than ours.  Sounds like yours are 72" wide.  Ours are 50" x 16". 

The cattle panels are 16' long by 50" high, just as yours are.  I cut each one in half to make two 8' by 50" sections, then cut the bottom off each section to make two 8' by 36" sections. Each of those sections makes one-half of the 18" square by 8' tall tomato cage.

I'd like to know how to bend a cattle panel, please.  Clamp between boards and bend/hammer/lever?  Any tips?

I place a 8' long 2"x12" board down the middle of the panel, so it will be bent at the 18" mark.  Then stand on the board and pull up the portion of the panel that needs bent up. Move down the board and continue pulling up the panel until it is all at right angles.

Somewhere there is a youtube video on making these tomato cages, I'll see if I can find it. I modified his directions a  little so that I used the entire 8' of the panel instead of cutting it down like he did, though.

Edit: This is the video that inspired me to make these tomato cages:

OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Soose likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Soose 4/29/2022, 1:26 pm

Thanks for the video and tips on construction. I am quite impressed with these cattle panels. So sturdy and affordable! I had seen a larger 4ft square cage. We've tossed around the idea of using cattle panels to roof our garden enclosure, too. If I had not pre-cut the two panels I bought into five sections for a different purpose (made them easier to get home in the truck), I would now cut them differently.
Soose
Soose

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2