Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Are My Cukes And Zukes Done For? Toplef10Are My Cukes And Zukes Done For? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Are My Cukes And Zukes Done For? I22gcj10Are My Cukes And Zukes Done For? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Are My Cukes And Zukes Done For? Toplef10Are My Cukes And Zukes Done For? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Are My Cukes And Zukes Done For? I22gcj10Are My Cukes And Zukes Done For? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/17/2024, 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

» Horsey poop
by MrBooker 2/29/2024, 10:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Are My Cukes And Zukes Done For?

+4
markqz
Scorpio Rising
sanderson
Nicola
8 posters

Go down

Are My Cukes And Zukes Done For? Empty Are My Cukes And Zukes Done For?

Post  Nicola 7/31/2021, 1:46 am

The first thing I noticed the other day was the cucumber vine was looking kind of dry.  I didn't think much of it with our weather having been alternating heat waves and rainstorms.Are My Cukes And Zukes Done For? Firsts10
For a brief moment, I wondered if the fly had anything to do with the dryness, 'cause  I know insects can do damage to plants. 
Are My Cukes And Zukes Done For? Drylea10
But then I looked over at the Zucchini plant (which we'd been surprised to find was Golden, not the regular green kind) and realized it had worse-looking issues.Are My Cukes And Zukes Done For? Dryzuc11
And then noticed that about half of the little zucchini fruit I'd been seeing was starting to turn brown and shrivel.
Are My Cukes And Zukes Done For? Shrive12
Are My Cukes And Zukes Done For? Half-s12
By this time, I remembered it was the cucumbers that got me started looking, and I saw this leaf that looked so nice and green.  However,
Are My Cukes And Zukes Done For? Leaflo11
when I lifted the leaf -- you can probably guess what I saw --- 

Are My Cukes And Zukes Done For? Uh-oh_10
Yes, both the zukes and the cukes are messed up!  

Am I correct in guessing that this "yuck" on both plants is frass, the evidence of a Squash Vine Borer?   So disgusting to think about!

Are My Cukes And Zukes Done For? Frass-11
     Now, assuming that 2 -or more- nasty little SVB's are the problem here, my creative mind is trying to figure out if there could be any way to save these plants.  I know I could slice the stems lengthwise and pluck out the offenders.  But then what?  Wait, I have some medical tape left after my hand surgery a couple of years ago -- maybe that would work to wrap the stems once the little buggers are evicted from them.  
     I also thought of seriously trimming the yuck (as I've come to think of it) from the plants, and, rather than put it back down where it was growing before & face the possibility of being re-infected(?) maybe "replant" it in water, somehow.  I'm thinking, I guess, somewhere between hydroponics (about which I know next to nothing) and how you can set little plant pieces in a jar of water near a window to root.  
     Then there are nutrients to consider.  Do I put my cukes & zukes in a bucket of compost tea, or in water with a bagful of something like Garden Tone mixed in, or some other way?  Anyone got any other ideas?  Well, maybe I can think about it in my sleep, since it took way too long to create this picture-heavy post, and now it's well past my bedtime!
Nicola
Nicola

Female Posts : 220

Back to top Go down

Are My Cukes And Zukes Done For? Empty Re: Are My Cukes And Zukes Done For?

Post  sanderson 7/31/2021, 6:02 pm

I'm going to be the first to "guess" what is happening.  I don't have SVB where I live, but it sure looks like something did a number on it.  I'm not sure if there is enough xylem and the phloem left to make taping it worth while.

I notice that they are planted in dirt.  Do you also have a SFG bed with Mel's Mix?  If so, have you tried growing them in the Mel's Mix?

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21487

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicola 7/31/2021, 8:24 pm

sanderson wrote:... I notice that they are planted in dirt.  Do you also have a SFG bed with Mel's Mix?  If so, have you tried growing them in the Mel's Mix?
Oh, no! I've been found out! 
Do I have to turn in my official Mel Bartholomew SFG ID card and Secret Decoder Ring that figures out formulas like "What does 50%, 20%, 10%, and 2% mean?"   And "1/3 +1/3 + 1/3, divided by 5 types equals _?"   And ...

But seriously: My beds, not being cedar or teak (or plastic or steel) gradually disintegrated after several years.  And being a poor, jobless person,  I just haven't been able to rebuild 'em, even though I knew where the box sides and squares were (the grids went first.)  It used to be my SFG next to my boyfriend's traditional garden, but this year I just planted in "his" garden.  So, yes, that's "dirt" you saw, although pretty rich amended dirt, with years of our compost, plus a few of "the 5 types" added over time.  And believe me, I really wish I could've been growing in Mel's mix, in one and 2 squares each! 

At least a little good news:  There are a couple of other cucumbers and zucchini plants in another section of the garden that have produced some of each.  I guess that's why they sell seedlings in six-packs, even when you think you don't need that many!  And, I did see this after I took all those depressing  pictures above:Are My Cukes And Zukes Done For? Fromfr10
There are tiny cucumbers on this healthy-looking plant, next to the others.  So, looks like I know what my chores are when I get up and out tomorrow!
Nicola
Nicola

Female Posts : 220

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/31/2021, 9:43 pm

Hi!  

Yeah, that is unquestionable SVB damage.  It is over.  Unless the plant has somehow managed to find another way to get roots in…my Red Kuri succumbed to SVBs but some of the downstream vine managed to get rootS i??? Who knew
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8682

Back to top Go down

Post  markqz 8/1/2021, 2:52 pm

If any of the vines are somewhat salvageable, you might be able to use the technique outlineded here:

uconn.edu wrote:As soon as frass is seen, cut a longitudinal slit halfway through the vine near the base and remove any larvae.  Make the cut as short as possible.  Bury the cut section under moist soil.

(More advice at the site).
markqz
markqz

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  cholyk 8/1/2021, 6:01 pm

Are My Cukes And Zukes Done For? 1c11dc10I was going to ask about my cucumbers! Nothing looks like it’s rotting but all the laces just died over a week or so, despite rain and watering! First year mel’s mix. What’s happening?!
cholyk
cholyk

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/2/2021, 12:26 pm

Looks like bacterial wilt—what do others think?  If it is, the plants should be removed and destroyed.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8682

Back to top Go down

Are My Cukes And Zukes Done For? Empty Cucumbers wilting

Post  bgardner 8/10/2021, 7:32 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:Looks like bacterial wilt—what do others think?  If it is, the plants should be removed and destroyed.
I had one plant that had bacterial wilt. It looked exactly the same and I removed it. All the others around it are fine.
Brian
bgardner
bgardner

Male Posts : 49

https://reallygoodfood.us

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 8/10/2021, 9:39 pm

I had one plant that had bacterial wilt. It looked exactly the same and I removed it. All the others around it are fine.
Brian

Unfortunately I’ve had the same problem years back so I just don’t plant cukes  anymore 
floyd1440
floyd1440

Male Posts : 815

Back to top Go down

Are My Cukes And Zukes Done For? Empty Squash bugs

Post  tboofy 8/11/2021, 12:54 pm

I haven't dealt with SVBs, but I've got squash bugs this year and they killed all my pumpkins. It's easy to find out if you have them; check under the leave and see if they've laid a bunch of eggs. Or pick up a piece of the squash plant near the base and look underneath it (they like to hide under things). Yuck yuck yuck! I'm going to make sure to plant nasturtiums and marigolds next to my squash next year; squash bugs don't like them.
tboofy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down