Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Are these mites on my cukes? (photo) Toplef10Are these mites on my cukes? (photo) 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Are these mites on my cukes? (photo) I22gcj10Are these mites on my cukes? (photo) 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Are these mites on my cukes? (photo) Toplef10Are these mites on my cukes? (photo) 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Are these mites on my cukes? (photo) I22gcj10Are these mites on my cukes? (photo) 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:08 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 Yesterday at 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 4:46 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Yesterday at 4:36 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Yesterday at 4:30 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:34 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:31 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson 5/10/2024, 2:06 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Are these mites on my cukes? (photo)

+2
camprn
dstack
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Are these mites on my cukes? (photo) Empty Are these mites on my cukes? (photo)

Post  dstack 10/28/2013, 8:53 pm

In my Fall/Winter garden here in S. Florida I have these yellowish bugs on my cukes. Are these mites and what do you recommend that I use. 

Are these mites on my cukes? (photo) Cuke_p10

I cut off the leaves that were badly infested and I sprayed the others with rubbing alcohol (70%), and rinsed them off with water after about 30 minutes. In the past I've had very persistent mites (if that's what these are) that don't seem to be fazed by Neem Oil or other similar sprays.   thinking
dstack
dstack

Male Posts : 659

Back to top Go down

Are these mites on my cukes? (photo) Empty Re: Are these mites on my cukes? (photo)

Post  camprn 10/28/2013, 9:51 pm

Looks like whiteflies to me. Yellow bugs could be aphids.
Have you tried contacting you extension service ag agent?

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Are these mites on my cukes? (photo) WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Are these mites on my cukes? (photo) Empty Re: Are these mites on my cukes? (photo)

Post  dstack 10/28/2013, 10:10 pm

No. There's a nursery that's a lot closer that I normally go to for these questions. But I thought I'd run it by the forum first.
dstack
dstack

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 10/28/2013, 10:32 pm

The folks at the extension service are a wonderful resource.

http://solutionsforyourlife.ufl.edu/map/

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Are these mites on my cukes? (photo) WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 10/28/2013, 11:11 pm

Aphids don't actually eat the leaves, but suck sap from them, if I recall correctly. So if these are eating actual holes in your leaves, maybe they're not aphids. Kinda look like them to me, but your pic is too fuzzy to really tell. All I see is general shapes and a while color. FWIW, the aphids I've seen have mostly been white. I can't tell if those black spots are poo or rot or holes.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/29/2013, 1:14 am

My 2 cents. My aphids are generally green. They do look like white flies but I can't really tell.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21562

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 10/29/2013, 6:41 am

aphids<~~~click

Are these mites on my cukes? (photo) Aphids

whiteflies<~~~click

Are these mites on my cukes? (photo) Spiralling-whitefly-1-websize

leaf mites

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  dstack 10/29/2013, 6:52 am

Then they're aphids. In that case I'll use my Dawn detergent spray.
dstack
dstack

Back to top Go down

Post  dstack 10/29/2013, 2:33 pm

sanderson wrote:My 2 cents.  My aphids are generally green.  They do look like white flies but I can't really tell.
I've read that aphids come in almost any color.  Mine are identical to the photo that camprn posted.
dstack
dstack

Back to top Go down

Post  dstack 10/29/2013, 2:43 pm

camprn wrote:aphids<~~~click

whiteflies<~~~click

leaf mites
I'm quite familiar with that white fly and what that looks like. We have a huge white fly problem here, and I control them in my garden with a neem oil spray. The aphids I have appeared so quickly! I almost have to inspect the leaves every day.
dstack
dstack

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 10/29/2013, 3:11 pm

dstack wrote:
camprn wrote:aphids<~~~click

whiteflies<~~~click

leaf mites
I'm quite familiar with that white fly and what that looks like. We have a huge white fly problem here, and I control them in my garden with a neem oil spray. The aphids I have appeared so quickly! I almost have to inspect the leaves every day.
Posting photos of all the insects mentioned in this thread, as well as informational links, was for the benefit of all the readers of the SFG Forum. I am glad you have identified your current pest. Good luck with getting rid of the infestation.

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  Pox 10/29/2013, 4:48 pm

Let us know how the soap works for you DStack.
Pox
Pox

Back to top Go down

Post  dstack 10/30/2013, 1:19 pm

Pox wrote:Let us know how the soap works for you DStack.
Yesterday when I got home from work I inspected the leaves. Most of the bugs have turned black from having dried up from the alcohol, but the leaves didn't look damaged. Thank goodness! I'm assuming those bugs are all dead. But then there was a small number that still had color, and may still be alive. I REALLY need to buy a magnifying glass to get a better look!

Two consecutive nights of spraying rubbing alcohol might be harsh on the leaves, so last night I used my Triple Action Plus (suppose to kill insects, fungus and mites, and it has neem oil -- It's what I use to control the white fly, and it does pretty well!) I may use my detergent water tonight. I like doing a rotation of various sprays assuming some of the aphids might be strong enough to resist one spray, but not the other.

I also like to switch off between that Triple Action and another neem oil that has that "triple action" claim. Since both previous attempts to grow cukes I've battled a fungus, I'm counting on neem to protect them from a fungus outbreak before it happens. 

If this sounds like overkill, this is Florida!  I grew up in Southern California where gardening was a breeze compared to this! LOL Very Happy
dstack
dstack

Back to top Go down

Post  Pox 10/30/2013, 1:24 pm

DStack, never had the luxury of trying my hand at this in So. Cal. only here in S. Fla, and yes the bugs have been my biggest challenge.  I waited this year to plant the cukes for that reason, hoping having them mature in the cooler weather might help.  We'll see.  I should know within a month or so based on my limited past experience.  I'm going to be more vigilant than ever this year and try and address issues before they get out of hand as you are doing here.

How's everything else coming?
Pox
Pox

Back to top Go down

Post  dstack 10/30/2013, 8:16 pm

Pox wrote:DStack, never had the luxury of trying my hand at this in So. Cal. only here in S. Fla, and yes the bugs have been my biggest challenge.  I waited this year to plant the cukes for that reason, hoping having them mature in the cooler weather might help.  We'll see.  I should know within a month or so based on my limited past experience.  I'm going to be more vigilant than ever this year and try and address issues before they get out of hand as you are doing here.

How's everything else coming?
I agree that the downside of having a Fall garden too early might be that will be more bugs. I bought a magnifying glass on the way home with a light on it. I saw those same bugs in smaller numbers on my zucchini leaves as well. The zucchini is doing quite well in spite. I harvested my second zucchini last night and I'll have another in a couple of days. 

Then I have Seminole Squash/Pumpkin vines that have just about reached the top of my lattice, and have little flowers starting to develop. I started rosemary from seed, as well as tarragon, fennel and three varieties of basil.  Actually everything in my boxes was started from seed, but I was a little surprise how easily the rosemary started. 

So that's how things are in a nutshell.
dstack
dstack

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 10/30/2013, 8:27 pm

Just a note on tarragon -- the seed sold is usually Russian tarragon, which is supposedly nothing near as good as French tarragon, which is propagated from root cuttings.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  dstack 10/30/2013, 9:41 pm

Marc Iverson wrote:Just a note on tarragon -- the seed sold is usually Russian tarragon, which is supposedly nothing near as good as French tarragon, which is propagated from root cuttings.
Thanks for that Marc!  That's good to know! Yes, it is Russian tarragon that I have and I didn't know better. Do you know if the Russian variety has the same pest repellent qualities? That's one reason I'm growing it.
dstack
dstack

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 10/31/2013, 3:54 am

I couldn't tell you because my germination rate in peat pots(Jiffy pellets) was so ridiculously poor that I only got two plants out of many attempted, and they for whatever reason died out quick.

I love the idea of companion planting, and that's one reason I planted tarragon too, particularly by my eggplant, which I read it was an especially good partner for. The eggplant got holes in some leaves, big ones, but it didn't seem to slow the plant down much, and most leaves didn't have holes. I'm not sure if it was the Russian tarragon or not; I also had two marigolds planted quite close by and a basil not far away.

The area otherwise was populated mostly by cherry tomatoes, which because of their toxic nightshade nature tend to repel many pests. In my case, even hornworms, oddly enough, though anything bigger than a cherry plant was ravaged both late spring and early fall.

So there's kind of lame anecdote for you. I don't know why my germination rate was so poor, but frankly my germination in jiffy pots in general was poor this season. I'm not sure what, if anything, you can take out of all of that. Sorry!
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  dstack 10/31/2013, 6:00 am

I have a germination challenge like that with my spinach. So I have a seed starter soil that I use in biodegradable egg cartons for those germination rate challenges. I finally have a substantial amount of spinach coming up.

Most of the plants that I planted for companion planting such as onion, tarragon, rosemary, etc. are growing so slow and are too immature to repell anything. Our Lowe's is suppose to get their annual supply of onion bulbs in some time in November. So I look forward to incorporating those in with the other onions.
dstack
dstack

Back to top Go down

Are these mites on my cukes? (photo) Empty UPDATE

Post  dstack 11/25/2013, 12:02 pm

I've ripped out the zukes and cut the cukes down to 9 inch stubs, where potential new growth looks somewhat promising. I've new got seedlings for zukes that I've planted among the fennel just for the sake of crop rotation. I've got new cuke seedlings as well, but don't have the luxury of crop rotation there. The cukes will go where the zukes were (next to the old cukes), but for now I'm keeping the cuke seedlings in little pots until I decide whether to rip out the old cuke stubs or not.  I'm not certain if they're diseased or not. I wish I knew. If they are diseased I don't want it spreading to the new cuke seedlings. No 

We're getting into cooler weather which should mean less bugs... or at least I HOPE!  Smile 
dstack
dstack

Back to top Go down

Post  Pox 11/25/2013, 1:07 pm

My cukes are doing what they have done in the past.  They are taking off, looking great, growing rapidly and beginning to flower.  But some leaves are now starting to look eaten.  Holes thru out.  But no sign of any pests at all that I can tell.  I'm going to hit them with Neem and see if that helps at all.
Pox
Pox

Back to top Go down

Post  dstack 11/25/2013, 1:40 pm

That's so frustrating! I'd love to find an effective home remedy repellent. As far as companion planting I've got both mint and marigolds with the cuke but don't seem to make a noticeable difference. A master gardener recommended a book called "Natural Solutions to Things That Bug You". I'll give some of the auther's suggestions and if they work I'll let you know.
dstack
dstack

Back to top Go down

Post  Pox 11/25/2013, 1:44 pm

Please do.  If they work and you think the book is worth the time and money, I'll go get a copy.  Thanks.
Pox
Pox

Back to top Go down

Post  dstack 11/25/2013, 2:03 pm

Yes, it has a LOT of great info. I'm a bit skeptical of home remedy claims, so it was hard for me to believe when I read that I could use a biodegradable dish detergent (I.E. Dawn) water to kill roaches. But it WORKED for me! Some roaches seem to have a stronger tolerance than others, but eventually the soapy water does them in. I bought the Kindle version of the book for about $10.

dstack
dstack

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 11/25/2013, 11:03 pm

I found that mint didn't do anything as far as keeping away pests, either. I had three mint plants right next to each other, and the peppermints especially were very fragrant. I got bugs, snails, beetles, lizards, gophers, and even a snake anyway.

I'll still grow mint anyway, for my original purpose -- putting leaves into coffee and tea and chewing them occasionally.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next