Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
horse manure Toplef10horse manure 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

horse manure I22gcj10horse manure 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
horse manure Toplef10horse manure 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

horse manure I22gcj10horse manure 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Today at 11:26 am

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Today at 11:19 am

» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 6:57 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

horse manure

+2
OhioGardener
Emily49
6 posters

Go down

horse manure Empty horse manure

Post  Emily49 5/20/2020, 11:54 am

I searched the forum, but don't think I have an answer to my exact question.  We got a source of horse manure today.  The pile it was from is a year old, but unclear if it is still being used today.  The "boys" took from the bottom.  We have about 100 gallons.
Now what should we do with it?  DH wants to make a 4x4 frame and put it in there to sit until next year.  We have a 3 bin compost area where we put weeds, kitchen scraps, leaves, and guinea pig droppings. Should we add some to that?  All of it? 
I am still learning how to use the 3 bins too.  Right now, one has some mostly finished compost I am cleaning out, one has all leaves, and one has the mixture of the above things.  I think I will finish filling the mix to the top and cover it.  Turn it once in a while as I get the urge, then start adding greens to the leaf pile?
Emily49
Emily49

Back to top Go down

horse manure Empty Re: horse manure

Post  OhioGardener 5/20/2020, 12:14 pm

Emily, horse manure is normally full of weed seeds of various and sundry types, which you don't want in your garden beds. It is best to hot compost the horse manure to kill the weed seeds, and any pathogens that may be in it. Hot composting means that in needs to reach 160°F, and be held there for several days in a row - that heat will destroy both seeds and pathogens. If you layer the horse manure with browns (dried leaves, sawdust, etc.) in 3'x3' or 4'x'4 bin so it is at least 3' tall you will get good heat. The way the 3-bin system works is that you put the horse manure & browns in Bin 1 to allow it to start heating up. Once it reaches peak heat, and begins cooling, then turn it into Bin 2. It will again start to heat up. Once that heating is completed, and it starts cooling down, turn it into Bin 3 to finish composting.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4505

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Post  Emily49 5/20/2020, 5:56 pm

ok thanks!  We will do it that way for the manure. 

So I'm still trying to picture the hot process with the kitchen scraps, since it takes a long time to build up 1/4 of the bin with scraps - we average a 32 oz yogurt container a day.  Will it not really heat up until the bin is full? IF the kids are instructed to add 3 containers of leaves when they dump the scraps, it should stay at the right ratio, correct?  Do you only need 2 heat cycles to compost anything that way, or do you do that all season? 

TIA!
Emily49
Emily49

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 5/20/2020, 10:06 pm

Not directly related to your question but something to consider: when I was first mixing my MM, one of my composts was horse manure. Unfortunately it was full of sawdust from the stalls which, when decomposing, use up a lot of nitrogen. I was told the manure had been composting for at least a year, but the woodchips in the sawdust were still very much woodchips. They hadn't composted at all. I ended up needing to supplement with fertilizer to make up for the lack of nitrogen that first year. So if there's any woodchips in your horse poo make sure you take that into account.
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Female Posts : 1087

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate 5/20/2020, 11:18 pm

I've had very good results from adding composted horse manure from KSU's "equine unit", but I put it into my own cycle of composting for the next growing season before using it. I don't know how hot it gets, but if I don't see anything sprouting in it by the next spring, I use it in the beds.
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 5/21/2020, 2:58 am

Em, look up the " Composting 101 " thread .  It explains about hot composting in a lot of detail and has a lot of member input.

The Cornel university extension   has a lot of information for their ,  "  18 day hot composting method "  to kill the seeds .

A horses digestive system does not kill them like a ruminants digestive  system does .

I have stored a large volume of hot composted horse muck with bedding for seven years.  I use it in the beds one bed at a time as that is my preferred way of growing my crops for canning .  It grows airborne weeds better than corn  Laughing
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/21/2020, 5:34 am

Horse manure was always a component of my 3'x3'x3' bin. My husband would get it from CSU-Fresno. Manure, dry leaves saved from the fall, food waste saved in the freezer or collected culls from the summer farmer markets, 2 or 3 5-gallon buckets of Starbucks, mowed alfalfa hay or pellets, and even the expired pantry items. They would be layered, wet thoroughly and within 2-4 days, reach 160*F. I used the Berkeley 18-day method, turning on the 4th day and then every 2 days for a total of 7 turns. Putting the outside cooler material on the inside and visa versa. I only had room for one bin, so I had to fork everything out onto a large tarp, and back in again. If I had room for a second bin, I would have turned it back and forth.

Just to note, last summer was the last time I made my own compost. A total of 26 batches, 13 in the large bin and 13 in the 80-gallon Lifetime tumbler. I have now joined the ranks of "searchers of bagged compost."

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t18500-compost-berkeley-18-day-hot-method?highlight=berkeley

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21531

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down