Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
The darned deer! Toplef10The darned deer! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

The darned deer! I22gcj10The darned deer! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
The darned deer! Toplef10The darned deer! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

The darned deer! I22gcj10The darned deer! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest: October 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 6:18 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 10/15/2024, 5:35 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 10/11/2024, 5:31 pm

» Confirm what this is
by sanderson 10/11/2024, 2:51 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 10/10/2024, 5:47 pm

» Harlequin Beetles?
by sanderson 10/7/2024, 3:08 pm

» Preserving A Bumper Tomato Harvest with Freezing vs Canning
by sanderson 10/7/2024, 3:05 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 10/6/2024, 4:20 pm

» Greetings from Southeastern Wisconsin
by OhioGardener 10/6/2024, 12:05 pm

» N & C Midwest: September 2024
by OhioGardener 9/30/2024, 4:13 pm

» The SFG Journey-Biowash
by OhioGardener 9/29/2024, 8:33 am

» Fall is For Garlic Planting
by Scorpio Rising 9/28/2024, 12:19 am

» source for chemical-free lanscape fabric
by Woodsong 9/19/2024, 10:51 am

» Hurricane
by sanderson 9/14/2024, 5:42 pm

» Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas
by sanderson 9/12/2024, 2:09 am

» Old Mulch and Closing Beds for Winter
by Scorpio Rising 9/11/2024, 8:23 pm

» Pest Damage
by WBIowa 9/8/2024, 2:48 pm

» cabbage moth?
by jemm 9/8/2024, 9:15 am

» adding compost yearly
by sanderson 9/5/2024, 2:16 am

» N & C Midwest: August 2024
by OhioGardener 8/31/2024, 8:13 pm

» Article - Create a Seed Library to Share the Extras
by OhioGardener 8/26/2024, 4:09 pm

» Best Tasting Parthenocarpic Cucumber?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 7:07 pm

» Winter Squash Arch
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 8:02 am

» Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries
by OhioGardener 8/19/2024, 10:09 am

» Looking for a local source for transplants.... Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:26 am

» Hi, y'all. I'm new to everything in Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:21 am

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 8/14/2024, 5:47 pm

» Hi from N. Georgia
by AtlantaMarie 8/13/2024, 8:57 am

» Hello from Atlanta, Georgia
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:09 am

» growing tomatoes from seed outside
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:05 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

The darned deer!

4 posters

Go down

The darned deer! Empty The darned deer!

Post  SusanTheWriter 3/31/2020, 9:53 am

I'm still in the planning stage for my garden (I know, I'm really late), and I realized that it wouldn't be worth the effort if I couldn't figure out a solution for the deer. We have a small herd of 5-7 deer that regularly use the woodland strip that separates my house from the next neighborhood as a pathway. 

They're pretty brave, and know exactly how far my dogs can go before the invisible fence stops them, so they'll stop running to turn around and stare at my hackle-raised pups just to taunt them. They've come up onto my patio to nibble at the beans, and even the cucumbers, although they mostly leave the herbs alone. 

I live in a neighborhood with an HOA (god help me), so proper deer fencing is out, but I'm still interested in trying the least visually offensive version -- an electric fence. 

Have any of y'all had success with electric fences for deer? And if you live in an HOA neighborhood, have there been any objections?
SusanTheWriter
SusanTheWriter

Female Posts : 15

Back to top Go down

The darned deer! Empty Re: The darned deer!

Post  OhioGardener 3/31/2020, 10:45 am

SusanTheWriter wrote:Have any of y'all had success with electric fences for deer? And if you live in an HOA neighborhood, have there been any objections?

I don't live in a HOA, but I have tried electric fencing with only very limited success. When it is first installed, they won't go near it.  But, within a couple days they learn that they can easily jump over it and it won't bother them. The only thing we have found that will stop them is that if there are two fences about 4' apart - they are afraid of getting trapped between the fences. And, that can't exist in your HOA.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4741

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

The darned deer! Empty Baited electric fences

Post  beardeddan 4/2/2020, 4:26 pm

I read somewhere that you can use a baited electric fence for deer. Basically you put up a small section of fence and bait it with peanut butter wrapped in foil. The deer will bite it and get shocked and stay away.

I honestly don't know if it works.

Dan
beardeddan
beardeddan

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 4/3/2020, 8:05 am

Hi BeardedDan. Welcome to the forum from Atlanta, GA! And Hi to Susan as well. I know you've been a member for a while, but don't post much.

Can't give you any advice on the deer... Sorry!

Can you both give us some ideas on what you're growing this year?

And, Dan, my family has a place in Harrisville, NH, so always glad to see someone from the state! :-)
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5599

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  SusanTheWriter 4/7/2020, 9:09 am

AtlantaMarie wrote:Hi BeardedDan.  Welcome to the forum from Atlanta, GA!  And Hi to Susan as well.  I know you've been a member for a while, but don't post much.

Can't give you any advice on the deer...  Sorry!

Can you both give us some ideas on what you're growing this year?

And, Dan, my family has a place in Harrisville, NH, so always glad to see someone from the state!  :-)
Hey Marie!

Well, today is garden building day and after doing some more research on deer-resistant plants (not deer-proof because that's not a thing), I think I'll be growing a lot of herbs in and amongst everything else, as those seem to be less-favored by the critters, as well as decorating with colorful wind spinners to try and startle them away. 

My yard has recently become a focal point for some in the neighborhood -- not because of anything we did -- but because our back-door neighbors tore down a whole bunch of the lightly wooded area between us. I don't know if less cover will make the path less attractive to deer, but we'll see. In the meantime, I'd rather not give the HOA board something to set their beady little eyes on, so no deer fences for me.
SusanTheWriter
SusanTheWriter

Back to top Go down

Post  OhioGardener 4/7/2020, 9:29 am

I would not get overly optimistic that Deer-resistant plants will deter the deer.  I have a fairly large butterfly garden which is part of my Monarch Waystation, which consists totally of deer-resistant plants. The deer don't eat any of the plants since it is in the old pasture with lots of clover & grass, but they nest in the middle of the flower garden and mash everything down. I ended up putting a 6' fence around the bed to keep the deer out, which totally destroys the beauty of the garden. But then, we have herds of deer which run in groups of 8 or 10 at a time.

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4741

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Post  SusanTheWriter 4/7/2020, 10:02 am

OhioGardener wrote:I would not get overly optimistic that Deer-resistant plants will deter the deer.  I have a fairly large butterfly garden which is part of my Monarch Waystation, which consists totally of deer-resistant plants. The deer don't eat any of the plants since it is in the old pasture with lots of clover & grass, but they nest in the middle of the flower garden and mash everything down. I ended up putting a 6' fence around the bed to keep the deer out, which totally destroys the beauty of the garden. But then, we have herds of deer which run in groups of 8 or 10 at a time.
We've got a regular herd of 5-7 that use the formerly wooded path behind my yard as a freeway. I have fairly low expectations of the herbs making a difference, except that the deer have historically not eaten them in the table top gardens on my patio. There's every possibility that I'm fixing to blow a couple hundred dollars on very gourmet deer feed.
SusanTheWriter
SusanTheWriter

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down