Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Reducing Number of Plants - more room between plants? Toplef10Reducing Number of Plants - more room between plants? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Reducing Number of Plants - more room between plants? I22gcj10Reducing Number of Plants - more room between plants? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Reducing Number of Plants - more room between plants? Toplef10Reducing Number of Plants - more room between plants? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Reducing Number of Plants - more room between plants? I22gcj10Reducing Number of Plants - more room between plants? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 6:57 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Reducing Number of Plants - more room between plants?

4 posters

Go down

Reducing Number of Plants - more room between plants? Empty Reducing Number of Plants - more room between plants?

Post  OhioGardener 10/26/2019, 9:36 am

This year's production of peppers and tomatoes has me thinking about reducing the number of plants I put in next year, but wondering if at the same time that I reduce the number of plants if I should increase the distance between the ones I do plant.

This year, as in past years, I planted 36 pepper plants - 6 each of Bell, Banana, and Jalapeno - with each plant in a one foot square. With the fertility of the soil, and the drip irrigation system, the pepper plants grew to slightly over 4' tall, and produced more peppers than us and the neighbors combined could use. So, next year I am thinking of reducing the number of plants to 4 each instead of 6. But, since the plants got so huge this year, I wonder if I should give each plant a little more than the one sq ft of soil - maybe put the 4 plants in the same six square feet that the 6 plants used?  If the plants are spaced further apart, I wonder if they would require staking or caging to prevent them from breaking over - with the plants close together they support each other without any problem.

This year we had two of each variety of tomatoes, and had far more tomatoes than we and the neighbors could use as well. So, next year I may reduce some of the varieties to one plant, while keeping two plants of the favorites such as Brandywine & Golden Jubilee.  Since the tomatoes are in 20" Texas Tomato Cages, the spacing won't change, but less garden space will be used for tomatoes.

Meanwhile, the double-cropping of bush beans was a huge success, and allowed us to freeze 20 quarts of green beans for this winter.  I planted 24ft2 of Blue Lake Bush Beans, which produced heavily with multiple pickings.  By mid-August the plants were finished, so I cut off the plants at the soil level and composted them. Then I refreshed the compost in the bed and replanted with more Blue Lake beans. That second planting of beans produced 4 pickings, right up until frost killed them in mid-October. I plan to re-do that double-cropping of beans again next year in a different bed to see if I can replicate the success.

I love the end of the season when we can look at the year's successes & failures, and start planning for what next year will look like.  Very Happy

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4504

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Reducing Number of Plants - more room between plants? Empty Re: Reducing Number of Plants - more room between plants?

Post  countrynaturals 10/26/2019, 10:38 am

Charlie Brown and the football -- just wait til next year! Razz I'm doing the same thing. Tomatoes, cukes, and beans were a huge success. Everything else needs work and I'm already planning my strategies. thinking
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Reducing Number of Plants - more room between plants? Empty Re: Reducing Number of Plants - more room between plants?

Post  OhioGardener 10/26/2019, 11:00 am

countrynaturals wrote:Charlie Brown and the football -- just wait til next year! Razz I'm doing the same thing. Tomatoes, cukes, and beans were a huge success. Everything else needs work and I'm already planning my strategies. thinking

My green thumb came only as a result of the mistakes I made while learning to see things from the plant's point of view.   ~ H. Fred Ale

"In short, the soil food web feeds everything you eat and helps keep your favorite planet from getting too hot. Be nice to it."  ~ Diane Miessler, "Grow Your Soil"
OhioGardener
OhioGardener

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 4504

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkKWnsWrs0RIcyIQD1_Z26g

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 10/26/2019, 1:18 pm

Ohio Gardener - I did something similar a couple years ago.  Here in Georgia, the diseases and bugs are none stop.  It helps to space things farther apart so I can catch bugs or diseases before they become real problems.  This is the first year I have had successful peppers.  I planted them at 1 per square and that was way too close.  Almost impossible to find the peppers.  They are producing wonderfully but I can't find the peppers.  Also, with Southern Peas, the aphids attack them every year.  If they are planted too close together, I don't see the aphids early enough.  I also did a double planting of beans for the first time this year.  Rattlesnake pole beans.  It is much more pleasant harvesting the beans in this cooler weather and also no Japanese Beetles at this time of year.  They are still attacked by spider mites but I am used to just dealing with them by doing nothing.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 10/26/2019, 2:42 pm

I plant by the book in my 4x4, but I have old re-used window planters that are actually 1 1/2 feet deep (by various lengths) shortest is 5 1/2 feet and longest is 8 feet long.  I treat them like they are 1 foot deep, so by default they are spaced wider.  I have great results there especially for tomatoes.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8703

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down