Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
New England May 2017 Toplef10New England May 2017 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

New England May 2017 I22gcj10New England May 2017 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
New England May 2017 Toplef10New England May 2017 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

New England May 2017 I22gcj10New England May 2017 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener Today at 2:42 pm

» Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas
by middlemamma Yesterday at 2:04 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 8/29/2024, 8:32 pm

» N & C Midwest: August 2024
by Scorpio Rising 8/27/2024, 11:17 am

» Article - Create a Seed Library to Share the Extras
by OhioGardener 8/26/2024, 4:09 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 8/23/2024, 8:13 pm

» Best Tasting Parthenocarpic Cucumber?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 7:07 pm

» Pest Damage
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 11:24 am

» Winter Squash Arch
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 8:02 am

» Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries
by OhioGardener 8/19/2024, 10:09 am

» Looking for a local source for transplants.... Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:26 am

» Hi, y'all. I'm new to everything in Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:21 am

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 8/14/2024, 5:47 pm

» Hi from N. Georgia
by AtlantaMarie 8/13/2024, 8:57 am

» Hello from Atlanta, Georgia
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:09 am

» growing tomatoes from seed outside
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:05 am

» 15-Minute Garlic Sautéed Eggplant
by Scorpio Rising 8/12/2024, 7:25 pm

» Downsizing Gardens for the Autumn of our lives
by Hollysmac 8/6/2024, 10:37 pm

» Golden Beets
by Scorpio Rising 8/6/2024, 7:03 pm

» Hi all!
by sanderson 8/6/2024, 12:56 am

» DIY Tomato Trellis for Birdie's Tall Raised beds
by sanderson 8/6/2024, 12:48 am

» Got zucchini? Toot your own horn!
by OhioGardener 8/5/2024, 9:17 am

» Compost not hot
by Aintyergrandpaschickenpoo 8/5/2024, 8:29 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by nrstooge 8/1/2024, 6:57 am

» Zucchini Cobbler
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:38 pm

» Vertical Zucchini
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:34 pm

» Cover Crops to Kill Nematodes
by dstack 7/18/2024, 5:43 pm

» Hi from Lapeer Michigan
by Scorpio Rising 7/18/2024, 10:49 am

» Mel's Mix
by OhioGardener 7/16/2024, 1:40 pm

» Baker Creek Heirloom Whole Seed Catalog Pre-Order
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 4:00 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

New England May 2017

+7
camprn
trolleydriver
bigdogrock
sanderson
CapeCoddess
Scorpio Rising
quiltbea
11 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

New England May 2017 Empty New England May 2017

Post  quiltbea 5/1/2017, 8:51 pm

I went shopping today and saw Walm had veggie plants.  Alas, they were so sickly looking and I can wait til the end of May to plant anyway, so I came home and ordered mine online from Territorial Seed.  I've had good luck with plants from them before.
They still have plants if you can have them shipped the end of May.  I can here in Maine.  The later plants always seem to catch up with the earlier ones planted without the worry about freezing nites and what do I do with them or having to bring pots inside.

I also bought some containers and potting soil for my plants so I'm getting ready little by little.

How're your gardens coming my friends?
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4711

Back to top Go down

New England May 2017 Empty Re: New England May 2017

Post  quiltbea 5/2/2017, 12:15 pm

I forgot to add which varieties I ordered:
Early Cherry, Sungold, Tasti-Lee, Little Napoli, and Red Robin.  The latter two are very small with Robin only growing less than a foot tall.  Great for even your windowsill but mine will be in a pot out on the patio.  I also got English Thyme which seems to be difficult to find around here.
I could not find Campari which has such good flavor, but Tasti-Lee is touted as being full of flavor so I'll let you know.  Little Napoli is a dual variety, being a tasty slicer but also a sauce tomato.  I intend to freeze those this year.
I'll take photos as I tend my little patio 'garden' this year.  See ya.
New England May 2017 100_1810
See those pots in the upper right?.  That's the patio area where we are allowed to grow our own potted plants.  Those are NOT my pots.  Mine are still in the trunk of my car.  I still intend to keep to Mel's recipe for soil as much as possible.

Last edited by quiltbea on 5/2/2017, 12:18 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : to add photo and description.)
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 5/2/2017, 10:35 pm

quiltbea wrote:I forgot to add which varieties I ordered:
Early Cherry, Sungold, Tasti-Lee, Little Napoli, and Red Robin.  The latter two are very small with Robin only growing less than a foot tall.  Great for even your windowsill but mine will be in a pot out on the patio.  I also got English Thyme which seems to be difficult to find around here.
I could not find Campari which has such good flavor, but Tasti-Lee is touted as being full of flavor so I'll let you know.  Little Napoli is a dual variety, being a tasty slicer but also a sauce tomato.  I intend to freeze those this year.
I'll take photos as I tend my little patio 'garden' this year.  See ya.
New England May 2017 100_1810
See those pots in the upper right?.  That's the patio area where we are allowed to grow our own potted plants.  Those are NOT my pots.  Mine are still in the trunk of my car.  I still intend to keep to Mel's recipe for soil as much as possible.
Sounds like some great plants, QB!  And that is nice that they provided you a spot to allow MM to put everyone else's plants to shame!   lol!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8807

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 5/4/2017, 1:16 pm

Thanks for starting the new thread, QB.  What a nice surprise!  Sounds like you have your gardening plans organized and ready to take off. Very Happy

My plans are coming along little by slow: New England May 2017 00210
Since the 1st plantings have already sprouted, I sowed more beets, chard and bush beans in anticipation of a big rain tomorrow

The sugar snap peas grow about 2 inches a day.  This was taken May 1st so they are now up to the netting:New England May 2017 00510
The peas in the box behind this one were eaten down to nubbin's, along with all the other sprouts - radish, pak choi, kale - in the same box.   Sad  I'm thinking sow bugs.

Shallots:New England May 2017 00311

Garlic, broccoli, pak choi and lettuce in the front box:New England May 2017 00910

Chives are getting ready to flower:New England May 2017 01110

The strongest strawberry plants have broken thru the mulch.  Some have jumped ship which happens every year.  The escapees go to neighbors:New England May 2017 01311

All in all, we're moving right along on ol' Cape Cod:New England May 2017 00211

A friend gave me these tulips in a basket 2 Easters ago, but no tag with them.  I planted them out on a whim when they were finished and they came back!  Note the variegated leaves: New England May 2017 02711
Anyone know what they are called? I'd love to get some more...
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 5/4/2017, 2:40 pm

CC....Try checking out
http://www.whiteflowerfarm.com/232771-product.html

They certainly look like a double-flowered tulip like this double sugar:
New England May 2017 Tulip_11
Maybe they carry the colorway you want.
Good luck.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/5/2017, 2:05 am

Good to see QB and CC planning their gardens. QB, Is that your patio area outside your apartment?

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21614

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 5/5/2017, 3:06 pm

UMass Extension Hort Notes just in:
https://ag.umass.edu/landscape/newsletters/hort-notes/hort-notes-2017-vol-284

Along with the Landscape Message for May 5th:
https://ag.umass.edu/landscape/landscape-message-may-5-2017

And the Vegetable Notes:
http://ag.umass.edu/sites/ag.umass.edu/files/newsletters/may_4_2017_vegetable_notes_0.pdf
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 5/5/2017, 9:33 pm

Sanderson.......That is the patio area for all 24 apts but there are only a few of us wanting to garden anything.  There are even eight 4 x 4 raised beds.
New England May 2017 100_1711
You can see them here above.  But they all would need lots of MM to get them in good shape for veggies.  I have neither the stamina nor inclination these days so I'll be happy just to maintain 8 assorted containers for mine this year, on the patio where it'll be easy to tend.  Since I take my dog Penny out to walk 4 times a day, tending my pots should not be a problem at all.  I like to sit out there and watch the water fall and the river. 
New England May 2017 04-15-11
I really love this place. Here's a bit of the waterfall.

New England May 2017 100_1811
And above is the river.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 5/5/2017, 9:43 pm

QB, that looks gorgeous!  cheers
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 5/6/2017, 6:27 am

What a beautiful spot, QB! If/when you are feeling ready, will you be allowed to use one of those raised 4x4s?

We received the much-needed rain last night. It seems to have stopped now. I know a lot of other parts of the country are dealing with flooding and I'm so sorry about that. Sad Living on a sandbar omits that issue for most of us here on the Cape.

CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  bigdogrock 5/6/2017, 10:37 am

We've not been pounded like some of wonderful folks around the country, my thoughts and prayers go out to those that are being damaged by the wet overage. Since yesterday, in this part of New England, we have received about an inch and half of slow cool rain, with thick clouds and milky mists that turns to a heavy fog in front of your eyes.

The birds don't seem to mind, not that they are all atwitter, but the constant, lasting dreariness of no sunshine doesn't seem to bring them down like I feel when the wet, grays of rainy weather conditions dominate and take over your visual territory. The little ones aren’t flittering around everywhere nearby like on a sunny day, but when I step outside and just use only my hearing, closing my eyes, wearing a light jacket so that I can put all my concentration on only hearing them, this gray place almost comes alive with the sounds of the creatures relaying their message from just inside the protection of the forest.

The Pileated Woodpecker has the unforgettable, almost seemingly pterodactyl cry that can be heard great distances. The Loon as they fly over the house sends its eerie but comforting echo, while the Greater Canadian Geese greet the flight path they take with that voice of confidence in their daily travels from one place to another.

The beautiful red Cardinals can always bring a smile to my face as they call, the tussling Blue Jays always seem to rant about one difficulty or another. Occasionally I hear a Chickadee, but most of the little ones are still asleep, or hiding, doing the little bird thing that is a mystery, like where do they all go at night.

This time of the year is also special for the big birds of the forest, the turkeys. Tom is calling for attention, and you can easily imagine him fluffed up, showing the world his prized plumage, hoping to catch the eye of a willing “fan”.

So, it is a gray day, more so to us than the creatures of the wing, they go on about their lives, while we wait for the warmth of the rays of sunlight, which bring it all alive in front of our eyes.
bigdogrock
bigdogrock

Male Posts : 440

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 5/6/2017, 10:42 am

bigdogrock wrote:We've not been pounded like some of wonderful folks around the country, my thoughts and prayers go out to those that are being damaged by the wet overage. Since yesterday, in this part of New England, we have received about an inch and half of slow cool rain, with thick clouds and milky mists that turns to a heavy fog in front of your eyes.
The birds don't seem to mind, not that they are all atwitter, but the constant, lasting dreariness of no sunshine doesn't seem to bring them down like I feel when the wet, grays of rainy weather conditions dominate and take over your visual territory. The little ones aren’t flittering around everywhere nearby like on a sunny day, but when I step outside and just use only my hearing, closing my eyes, wearing a light jacket so that I can put all my concentration on only hearing them, this gray place almost comes alive with the sounds of the creatures relaying their message from just inside the protection of the forest.
The Pileated Woodpecker has the unforgettable, almost seemingly pterodactyl cry that can be heard great distances. The Loon as they fly over the house sends its eerie but comforting echo, while the Greater Canadian Geese greet the flight path they take with that voice of confidence in their daily travels from one place to another.
The beautiful red Cardinals can always bring a smile to my face as they call, the tussling Blue Jays always seem to rant about one difficulty or another. Occasionally I hear a Chickadee, but most of the little ones are still asleep, or hiding, doing the little bird thing that is a mystery, like where do they all go at night.
          This time of the year is also special for the big birds of the forest, the turkeys. Tom is calling for attention, and you can easily imagine him fluffed up, showing the world his prized plumage, hoping to catch the eye of a willing “fan”.
          So, it is a gray day, more so to us than the creatures of the wing, they go on about their lives, while we wait for the warmth of the rays of sunlight, which bring it all alive in front of our eyes.

Beautiful write-up Rock.

Last edited by trolleydriver on 5/6/2017, 1:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5390

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 5/6/2017, 1:20 pm

Bigrock.......If you ever write a book, I'll buy one.  You have a great talent.  Love to read your murmurings.  Hugs, QB

The Derby runs today and my son is going to the racetrack to watch on the bigscreens there today and he's taken a bet along from me.  I like Irish War Cry.  It will make it much more fun to watch knowing I actually have money on him.

CapeC......I've already been told I can take a raised bed when and if I want one.  Not on my bucket list this year.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/7/2017, 2:53 am

QB, Your place has a wonderful outdoor environment. One could sit and watch the river all day. . .

Rock, your writing rocks Wink

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21614

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/7/2017, 8:31 am

I sure wish it would warm up. We had snow flurries overnight.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

New England May 2017 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14136

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  bigdogrock 5/7/2017, 9:40 am

Hey Camprn, it would be nice to dodge that bullet of being to cold this late, I saw a few flakes last night as well. Some of the apple trees have started to bud, we need the warmth for the bees to pollinate. I did see a big Bumble Bee in the yard yesterday.
bigdogrock
bigdogrock

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 5/7/2017, 10:26 am

quiltbea wrote:Bigrock.......If you ever write a book, I'll buy one.  You have a great talent.  Love to read your murmurings.  Hugs, QB

Ditto, me too.  You can really paint with words, Rock!

I will have to cover stuff up tonight too, chance of flurries at the freezing mark...but trending in the right direction for the coming days.

I have seen bumbles, carpenters, and a few honeybees here.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  bigdogrock 5/7/2017, 12:24 pm

My first garden is all set except for one square, which I am not sure of what to plant. This garlic is 13 days from planting just beneath the surface. I had my doubts about planting it so late, usually this is planted in October. The quarters were placed to give a reference for size. I am very happy with how fast it has started. Now I will see if I get good sized bulbs. (The rocks are there for a temporary border.)New England May 2017 05061711
bigdogrock
bigdogrock

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/7/2017, 6:27 pm

Sorrel season . hooray!

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

New England May 2017 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/7/2017, 7:06 pm

bigdogrock wrote:My first garden is all set except for one square, which I am not sure of what to plant. This garlic is 13 days from planting just beneath the surface. I had my doubts about planting it so late, usually this is planted in October. The quarters were placed to give a reference for size. I am very happy with how fast it has started. Now I will see if I get good sized bulbs. (The rocks are there for a temporary border.)New England May 2017 05061711
Radish. By the time you figure it out you'll be eating radishes.

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 5/7/2017, 8:42 pm

Yah, I agree, radishes.  I plan to buy some seed to plant some around my new tomatoes when I get them.  They grow so quickly.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 5/7/2017, 9:25 pm

I second Camp and QB, radishes are the bomb in the quickie garden.  many times I put them around hotties and they get done way before being shaded out!  Plus I love 'me!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  bigdogrock 5/7/2017, 9:59 pm

Great call Camp, I think I will will be planting Radish seeds asap. Thanks for all the inputs folks, I appreciate the advice and kind words.
bigdogrock
bigdogrock

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 5/8/2017, 11:08 am

Those little garlic sprouts are adorable, Rock.   I love you
It really doesn't matter if they don't make big bulbs because they'll be so full of flavor anyway.    I have garlic of all different ages all around my gardens, in and out of the SFGs.  Last year I planted some cloves in spring to use as grid markers after getting tired of retrieving my grids blown away by wind. This year there are multiple plants coming out of each those spots, like all the cloves in each bulb sprouted.  I'll be digging them up this year once the leaves die back and we'll see what's under there.  Wonder if it will be like a multiplier onion and have multiple bulbs.

OK folks, I'm thinking of trying zucchini and Delicata again.  dangit  
BUT...this time I'll grow them in a hoop tunnel SFG just like this greens box: New England May 2017 002110

If I can keep them protected thru the SVB season, then afterward I could uncover and trellis the Delicata.  The thing is, the opening on this netting is about 1/4+" and I'm wondering if SVB moth would be able to crawl in with folded wings.  
Here is a good website showing size:
http://woodswalksandwildlife.blogspot.com/2016/07/squash-vine-borer.html
Any thoughts?
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 5/8/2017, 11:42 am

CapeCoddess wrote:I have garlic of all different ages all around my gardens, in and out of the SFGs.  Last year I planted some cloves in spring to use as grid markers after getting tired of retrieving my grids blown away by wind.
What a GREAT idea! Bunching onions would probably work the same way. I LOVE IT! I love you
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5700

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next