Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Healthy Meals Toplef10Healthy Meals 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Healthy Meals I22gcj10Healthy Meals 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Healthy Meals Toplef10Healthy Meals 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Healthy Meals I22gcj10Healthy Meals 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Healthy Meals

+10
Catalina
sanderson
Mimi2
CapeCoddess
Banned Member
BeetlesPerSqFt
countrynaturals
RoOsTeR
trolleydriver
Ginger Blue
14 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Healthy Meals Empty Healthy Meals

Post  Ginger Blue 4/17/2017, 10:05 am

I didn't feel like having a smoothie for breakfast this morning. Rather than taking the easy route of a toasted and well-buttered maple English muffin, with a side or two of left over Easter candy, I make the good choice of having this, instead:

Healthy Meals Mixed_10

Lightly sauteed mixed greens, a tomato, and a small serving of raw walnut.

I used whatever greens had on hand: fresh spinach, kale, bok choy and cilantro, wilted in a couple teaspoons of olive oil; seasoned with a dash of dried Italian seasoning and granulated garlic; then topped off with a sprinkle of cheese and two teaspoons or so of chia seeds.

Made for a hot, crunchy, entirely healthy, very satisfying breakfast - packed full of flavor and vital nutrients - perfect fuel for a busy day!

I may have a smoothie for lunch...

What's on your plate, today?

Save
Ginger Blue
Ginger Blue

Female Posts : 281

Back to top Go down

Healthy Meals Empty Re: Healthy Meals

Post  trolleydriver 4/17/2017, 10:17 am

I just finished off a tall green smoothie but when I see that delicious dish that you made GB now I'm really hungry. It looks so good.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 4/17/2017, 11:09 am

Yeah, my morning bowl of steel cut oatmeal and blackberries was working well for me...till I saw that delicious looking plate!

For my lunch:
2 tsp Sriracha
1/2 cup steamed broccoli and cauliflower w/1tbsp olive oil
10 cherry tomatoes
1 cup raw mixed vegetables w/3tbsp raw cider vinegar, 1 tbsp teriyaki, and herbs
Frozen Atkins meal...chicken alfredo w/broccoli

lunch calories: 554
I'm skipping my 1/2 c of cottage cheese for lunch...I ate pizza over the weekend and feeling a bit 'plugged' up lol.

Healthy Meals Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 4/17/2017, 12:06 pm

Ginger Blue wrote:I didn't feel like having a smoothie for breakfast this morning. Rather than taking the easy route of a toasted and well-buttered maple English muffin, with a side or two of left over Easter candy, I make the good choice of having this, instead:

Healthy Meals Mixed_10

I used whatever greens had on hand: fresh spinach, kale, bok choy and cilantro, wilted in a couple teaspoons of olive oil; seasoned with a dash of dried Italian seasoning and granulated garlic; then topped off with a sprinkle of cheese and two teaspoons or so of chia seeds.

Made for a hot, crunchy, entirely healthy, very satisfying breakfast - packed full of flavor and vital nutrients - perfect fuel for a busy day!

Save
GO, GINGER! We're starting the Fuhrman program, today. Healthy Meals 3170584802
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 4/17/2017, 1:03 pm

That looks delicious, Ginger Blue - thanks for including a pic!

I just got back from a trip. That means I've been eating food I didn't make for a few days. This always makes me cranky because it usually means I've ended up with more processed starch and saturated fat than I want, and no whole grains. I did manage to get vegetables this time around, so hopefully I'll feel better soon. My spring allergies are probably coming on, too. Before the sinus symptoms come on I usually have a few days of being very tired.

This morning was plain yogurt with half a tablespoon of peach jam, and pecans.
Lunch was a beautiful (I was too hungry to photograph it) salad: greens (from the aerogarden: lettuces, basil, and mitsuba; from the garden: arugula, yellow komatsuna flower clusters, endive leaves, and claytonia (some w/ white flowers); sauteed onion and chicken, sliced strawberries, and black quinoa; with an extra virgin olive oil, balsamic vinegar, carrot honey vinaigrette dressing.
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  Banned Member 4/17/2017, 2:14 pm

I want to try out that new restaurant in New Hampshire called "Ginger Blues," where the food is so wonderful, you can smell it from the pictures she posts online.

Yum, Yum, Yum.  That will be a meal to replicate here with Lacinato Kale, Collards, Turnips, and mustard greens and maybe pecans instead of walnuts.  

The garlic and fresh Italian herbs on a flavorful olive oil from our olive oil store, and that will be many lunches this summer when the heat misery index says no hot meat & three.
Banned Member

Male Posts : 144

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 4/17/2017, 2:51 pm

Ginger Blue wrote:I didn't feel like having a smoothie for breakfast this morning. Rather than taking the easy route of a toasted and well-buttered maple English muffin, with a side or two of left over Easter candy, I make the good choice of having this, instead:

Healthy Meals Mixed_10

Save
Our breakfast looked a lot like yours, but the pic was blurry and it's gone, now. Ours was kale and snow peas from the garden and store-bought broccoli. Today is our first day on this plan, so we're still a little chaotic. Hubby's blood sugar is down to 155, but he's still having a reaction to his meds. At least he's feeling pretty good and so am I. Cool
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 4/17/2017, 2:51 pm

That's definitely my kind of breakfast, GB! Except for the tomatoes due to problems with nightshades and Arthur.

I usually put berries in my morning smoothie but last night a friend brought over a plate of ginormous chocolate covered strawberries. So breakfast was fresh baby collard greens from the sfg blended with just cut fresh pineapple for the smoothie, and those superbly awesome strawberries for dessert.
Healthy Meals 4022887542
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 4/17/2017, 2:54 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:That's definitely my kind of breakfast, GB! Except for the tomatoes due to problems with nightshades and Arthur.

I usually put berries in my morning smoothie but last night a friend brought over a plate of ginormous chocolate covered strawberries. So breakfast was fresh baby collard greens from the sfg blended with just cut fresh pineapple, and those superbly awesome strawberries.
Healthy Meals 4022887542
Oops, I forgot -- Hubby had a strawberry with his, too. The 2 things he loves about this plan is fruit for breakfast and mushrooms. He can fix a portabello mushroom so he thinks it's as good as steak. For me it's more like "better than nothing" but my kidney stones like it a lot. Rolling Eyes
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 4/17/2017, 5:07 pm

CN, I'm so excited for you both! Keep posting your meals. May your kitchen be loaded with GBOMBS!

Right now I have to go very high protein for this hip so they tell me. Rolling Eyes  It's not easy after  being on Fuhrman for so many years.  With slips of course .  Wink So I've actually added cottage cheese and seafood to my diet, along with the usual beans and other legumes. Cooking quinoa and lentils together, since they take the same amount of time, in broth for soup helps a lot.
Matter of fact that's what's on the stove for dinner right now. Along with a big huge bag of frozen veggies that I threw it at the end. Can't wait till I have my own veggies for soups.
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 4/17/2017, 5:48 pm

Anybody try this? 

http://www.motherearthnews.com/real-food/seasonal-recipes/nutritious-snacks-zm0z13aszhun

I have several cauliflower plants that have to go when the weather clears up and I can plant my sfg. I have too many leaves to give them all to the rabbit, so I want to try making chips out of them. Maybe tomorrow (unless someone here tells me not to bother). Cool
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 4/17/2017, 7:40 pm

countrynaturals wrote:Anybody try this? 

http://www.motherearthnews.com/real-food/seasonal-recipes/nutritious-snacks-zm0z13aszhun

I have several cauliflower plants that have to go when the weather clears up and I can plant my sfg. I have too many leaves to give them all to the rabbit, so I want to try making chips out of them. Maybe tomorrow (unless someone here tells me not to bother). Cool
I've enjoyed kale chips, but haven't tried broc or cauli. Try it! bounce
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi2 4/17/2017, 8:10 pm

Glad to see everyone eating so well  Very Happy I love to eat good, healthy, food, which is one of the reasons I like square foot gardening. Just learned how to use my crock pot to make soup broths.  The ham bone went in last night to make Swedish pea soup. The chicken bone went in tonight for chicken broth for chicken noodle or chicken rice soup. Anyone tried making veggie broth with a slow cooker? I'm new to this.
Mimi2
Mimi2

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 4/17/2017, 9:08 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:CN, I'm so excited for you both! Keep posting your meals. May your kitchen be loaded with GBOMBS!

Right now I have to go very high protein for this hip so they tell me. Rolling Eyes  It's not easy after  being on Fuhrman for so many years.  With slips of course .  Wink So I've actually added cottage cheese and seafood to my diet, along with the usual beans and other legumes. Cooking quinoa and lentils together, since they take the same amount of time, in broth for soup helps a lot.
Matter of fact that's what's on the stove for dinner right now. Along with a big huge bag of frozen veggies that I threw it at the end. Can't wait till I have my own veggies for soups.

For high protein snacks I love deviled eggs. Only I leave out the mayo and use some good hummus, cracked black pepper and a little squirt of mustard. I had 'normal' deviled eggs for brunch yesterday and they just aren't the same anymore. I'll take mine made with hummus any day! Healthy Meals 3170584802

Healthy Meals Logo-111
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/18/2017, 4:23 am

Never thought of using hummus for deviled eggs. I will have to try it.

Just reading this thread made me hungry so I ate a yogurt. Wink Ken's been out of state, so dinners have been my frozen butternut squash and cans of tuna and sardines in olive oil for dinner.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21496

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 4/18/2017, 10:49 am

Rooster, homemade hummus of course, right?

Mimi2 wrote:Glad to see everyone eating so well  Very Happy I love to eat good, healthy, food, which is one of the reasons I like square foot gardening. Just learned how to use my crock pot to make soup broths.  The ham bone went in last night to make Swedish pea soup. The chicken bone went in tonight for chicken broth for chicken noodle or chicken rice soup. Anyone tried making veggie broth with a slow cooker? I'm new to this.

We've cooked lots of veggie broths over the years but never in the crockpot. I would imagine it's quite similar - throw in a bunch of scraps and water into the crock and let it simmer all day. Ever since I got a pressure canner/cooker I've used that to make meat or seafood broth. I can throw in a whole frozen chicken and have cooked chicken and broth a short time later. I haven't used it for veggie broth yet. It doesn't seem like a good idea - probably end up with a pile of mush.  

A while back I tried making a veggie broth with juicer pulp in a stock pot. After it had cooked all day and then cooled a bit I couldn't get it to separate liquid from mush. I guess I would need cheesecloth or something like that. Anyway, the worms in the compost pile were very happy that day.
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 4/18/2017, 2:45 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:A while back I tried making a veggie broth with juicer pulp in a stock pot. After it had cooked all day and then cooled a bit I couldn't get it to separate liquid from mush. I guess I would need cheesecloth or something like that. Anyway, the worms in the compost pile were very happy that day.
LOL! I did that, too. It sure seemed like a good idea at the time. rofl
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 4/18/2017, 5:47 pm

I MADE THE CAULI CHIPS, TODAY! AWESOME!

First I pulled out the cauliflower plant (I still have 4 more).
Healthy Meals Cauli110

I threw away the stalk and the chewed leaves, then gave the biggest leaf to the rabbit. Next, I washed the leaves, cut out the main stem, tore the rest into chip sizes, and let them all dry on paper towels.
Healthy Meals Cauli310

Next, I hand-rubbed all the pieces with olive oil and laid them out on a cookie sheet. I salted them, lightly with sea salt, then put them into the oven at 200 degrees and set the timer for 20 minutes. I thought it would take 40 minutes and just planned to turn them over after 20, but they were done to perfection. Skeptical Hubby took the first taste and said WOW! cheers

Healthy Meals Cauli410

They were really good, but a whole lot of work for what you get. I saw another recipe that said to add soy sauce, but that's definitely not on the diet, and not at all necessary.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 4/19/2017, 7:43 am

Steel cut oats, unsweetened almond milk, strawberries and a sprinkle of cinnamon. Very Happy

Healthy Meals Logo-111
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 4/19/2017, 8:21 am

Smoothie w/ fresh baby SFG Kale, raspberries, pc of banana, coconut water, hemp powder. An orange for dessert. I love you
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Ginger Blue 4/19/2017, 9:02 am

Thanks for the kind remarks on my previous photo - those greens were a delicious start to a busy day (week!). I have an appointment this morning and will try later today to respond to the replies, thus far.  In the meantime, please keep adding to the thread (and add pictures, if you can); let's continue to inspire each other!!!

BIG hug
Today's breakfast: Black bean tostada, on a multi-grain tortilla (I was so hungry I didn't think of taking a picture until after I started eating...) Embarassed

Healthy Meals Quesed10

Yesterday's breakfast: Spiced Apple Quinoa (made with 1/4 cup uncooked quinoa; 8oz almond milk; 1/2 an apple; 1 tsp finely minced ginger; 1/4 tsp ground turmeric; 1 tsp vanilla extract; several drops of liquid stevia; 1 TBS each of ground flax meal, chia and sesame seeds; topped with my daily serving of walnut)

Healthy Meals Spiced10

Bon appetit! Keep up the good work!  way to go

GB

Save

Save
Ginger Blue
Ginger Blue

Female Posts : 281

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 4/19/2017, 9:07 am

Really nice meals GB.

As for me it was a green smoothie:

• Almond milk
  • Baby spinach
  • Green grapes
  • Green apple
  • Greek yogurt
  • Ice cubes
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 4/19/2017, 1:01 pm

Looks like I need to get some quinoa! Healthy Meals 3170584802

Healthy Meals Logo-111
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Back to top Go down

Post  Banned Member 4/19/2017, 2:26 pm

Quinoa makes a great bulgur wheat substitute in Middle Eastern dishes.  Our Iranian-American friend makes an incredible salad with quinoa, and I always overeat when we have supper with them.
Banned Member

Male Posts : 144

Back to top Go down

Post  Catalina 4/19/2017, 4:18 pm

A mention of deviled eggs prompts me to share my new method of cooking eggs in the pressure cooker. The benefit of this is that freshly laid eggs can be peeled,  plus store-bought eggs peel like a charm.
Method:
Put enough water in pressure pot up to rack, about 1/2" to 1", depending on height of rack. 
Set a vegetable steamer on rack to keep eggs from bouncing around.
Place eggs on steamer -- I steam 8-10 at a time.
Bring to low pressure, maintain for 5 minutes.
Bring pressure down under running cold water.
Immediately put eggs in ice water, gently cracking shells on counter when cool enough to handle and returning to ice water.
Peel and refrigerate.
I cook room temperature eggs for 5 min.; cook refrigerator-cold eggs for 6 min.
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/237562/pressure-cooker-hard-boiled-eggs/
I make our mayo using an inversion blender. If anyone wants that recipe, let me know.
Catalina
Catalina

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next