Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in March 2017 - Page 2 Toplef10CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in March 2017 - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in March 2017 - Page 2 I22gcj10CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in March 2017 - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in March 2017 - Page 2 Toplef10CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in March 2017 - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in March 2017 - Page 2 I22gcj10CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in March 2017 - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in March 2017

+8
CapeCoddess
Jaffa55
BeetlesPerSqFt
Scorpio Rising
GWN
sanderson
Kelejan
trolleydriver
12 posters

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in March 2017 - Page 2 Empty Re: CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in March 2017

Post  GWN 3/8/2017, 5:23 pm

On an SFG note. The leeks and onions that I sowed indoors last week could not be left alone in Ottawa. So I brought the containers with me. This morning there were a couple of leek and a couple of onion seedlings rising out of the starting mix. I don't know how to post a photo from my android phone.

Now THERES a real gardener... Hope your mom is OK
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in March 2017 - Page 2 Empty Re: CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in March 2017

Post  Kelejan 3/8/2017, 6:39 pm

TD, so sorry your Mom has to stay in the emergency area for now; I hope she can get a bed in a proper area ASAP.  It seems as though everywhere in Canada hospitals are straining at the seams. She is lucky to have you to help her.

Prayers continue for your Mom.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 3/8/2017, 6:52 pm

sanderson wrote:KJ,  You have written about the victory garden in England when you were a girl.  Well, I'm almost finished reading The Unlikely Spy by Daniel Silva.  WWII in England and Germany.  Most action takes place in England and I am cold, wet and hungry just reading it.  The rain, wind, food rationing, shortage of meat and milk.  It makes me appreciate never having lived in a war torn country.  Having a plot to grow something, anything, could have made a difference in health.  But, even with a garden, a long, cold rain could wipe it out.  Okay, enough of this.  

What you have to remember, sanderson, that as I child I was very insulated from real tradegy.  I remember the bombs as the front of our house was damaged with the glass blown in with my foster mom telling me not to get out of bed and I remember my older foster-brother showing me a piece of shrapnel that had blown through the back door and cutting a broom handle in half. But I was far too young
to realise the horror of it.  Later on at six years of age off I went to the institution where I remained until the end of the war.  No TV, in those days, so we lead and very sheltered life.  As I have been reading in recent years, Berlin, Hamburg, etc had it far, far worse than any of us.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 3/8/2017, 7:03 pm

This morning I woke up to yet another Winter Wonderland.  As it was Refuse Recycling Day and I knew it was supposed to snow, I got up quickly and found that I needed to clear a path down to the road to put out the Blue Bins in time for them to be collected.

The 3" of snow was wet and heavy but I got that done quite quickly as was in time for the stuff to be collected. then out to the back where I re-cleared the path I had made to my compost pile.

A year ago our collection day used to be a Friday at noon; ideal. I hate that after twenty years of that ideal time, I now have to get up early for 7am and forbidden to put anything out the evening before, otherwise a $50 fine. Sad

I am wondering when I will ever see my garlic and tulips again?

We have another two days of snow to get through followed by more rain/snow days.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 3/8/2017, 7:21 pm

KJ what a crazy rule for garbage.

It seems as though everywhere in Canada hospitals are straining at the seams.

From a different perspective. My father 88 is currently in the hospital in BC with pneumonia and was kept in ICU for the first 2 days because there were no beds on the regular ward.
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 3/8/2017, 9:29 pm

GWN wrote:KJ what a crazy rule for garbage.

It seems as though everywhere in Canada hospitals are straining at the seams.

From a different perspective. My father 88 is currently in the hospital in BC with pneumonia and was kept in ICU for the first 2 days because there were no beds on the regular ward.
Wow GWN, sorry to hear about your father. Sounds like we are in the same boat.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 3/8/2017, 10:17 pm

Wow GWN, sorry to hear about your father. Sounds like we are in the same boat.

Thank you  Trolly driver..  Yes I guess we are in the same boat.  My mother passed away in January....and now my father is ill.  I guess I just feel fortunate to have had parents this long.  It seems so many people lose their parents young.
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 3/8/2017, 11:50 pm

The North American influenza rate has been epidemic since December.  We have had record rates of hospitalized influenza pneumonia patients.....

So sorry to hear your loved ones are sick.  

The vaccine was a great match, but sometimes the virus is strong....

Prayers, blessings, ((((((healing vibes)))))))
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/9/2017, 1:07 am

GWN wrote:
On an SFG note. The leeks and onions that I sowed indoors last week could not be left alone in Ottawa. So I brought the containers with me. This morning there were a couple of leek and a couple of onion seedlings rising out of the starting mix. I don't know how to post a photo from my android phone.

Now THERE'S a real gardener... Hope your mom is OK
Wink I totally understand taking the babies with you.

GWN and TD, I hope the best for your parents.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 3/9/2017, 1:07 am

GWN: The rule for putting out garbage too soon is not really crazy as it encourages the bears.  Even though our new garbage cans are supposed to be bear proof, there is a weakness with the clips that are attached with twisted wires are not really strong enough not be broken. If you get close up to a bear you will know what large teeth they have.

When we first had the bins last year it was bear season and no end of them were broken into.  One of the problems is that when they are put curbside, you are to leave them unfastened so no wonder the bears can open them as they have a minimum of two hours from 5:00 am to 7:00 am to have a go at them.  Mine is generally emptied by 7:30am as we are one of the first to be cleared (thank goodness) but if you are at the end of the area then I suppose it will take several hours more.  The bears also know the collection days and work their way up and down our long narrow city. Sadly, too many bears and their cubs are shot and it is not their fault.

So far  have not heard of anyone being fined the $50 penalty.

Last edited by Kelejan on 3/11/2017, 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Jaffa55 3/9/2017, 10:52 am

TD... sorry to hear that your mom is sick.  Hopefully she's starting to feel a bit better.  You're quite dedicated bringing your seedling babies along with you!

No snow on the ground in Milton, but it looks like our temperatures will be below zero for the next week or so, so perhaps we'll get a sprinkling of white stuff.  

I mentioned on another thread that my parents are now venturing into SFG. My dad loves projects like this, so he's already planning out how to router the corners of some 4x4s to make his garden boxes nice and fancy. He's offered to make some for me, too, so hopefully my boxes will be made soon. 

I was taken aback when I looked at the gardening almanac and saw that some plants (brocolli, kale, brussels sprouts) could be started outdoors at the beginning of April. It seems a bit early to me. Can anybody offer advice on this? Should I add a cold frame?

Another question (from the newbie, sorry)... if you start seedlings indoors, what soil do you use? I have a grow light in my basement and can get started, although I know I'm a little late.
Jaffa55
Jaffa55

Female Posts : 33

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 3/9/2017, 3:34 pm

Hi Jaffa, nice of your dad to offer to make your boxes look nice.  Take advantage of it as I am sure it will give both of you much pleasure and satisfaction. Good to know that he is considering SFG.

I think you will find that veggies such as the cruciferous ones are quite hardy so there should be no problem there as they can stand a light frost.  By all means have something to cover them with if it is a hard frost.  Sheets or a blanket?

This year I have purchased some survival blankets for humans, and on the literature it suggests using them for veggies.  The size of them, 60" x 84".  They are light so should be anchored down.

For indoor seed starts maybe use Mel's Mix?  I would suggest using the Search Box at the top-left-hand side of this page and insert something like "seedling starts`and I am sure that you will get quite a number of answers, and I bet some expert will be happy to advise you.  Unfortunately I have not started indoor seedlings, my procrastinating nature one again.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 3/9/2017, 4:18 pm

TD, you took the seed pots WITH YOU??? Shocked You are SO funny! Guess they liked the ride since they're sprouting.

sanderson wrote:
GWN and TD,  I hope the best for your parents.

Me, too. And I'm so sorry for the loss of you mom, GWN. That's got to be tough.

My mother in FL just got over a 3 wk bout of pnuemonia. She was so sick that I finally told her I wouldn't talk to her anymore until she saw a dr. So she had Rescue/911 take her to the hospital where she says they checked her out and sent her home with antibiotics. But most likely they wanted to keep her and she escaped. Which she does since she hates staying in the hospital. Anyway, she got a cab to pick her up and take her home, and promptly passed out outside her front door. The poor cabbie was beside himself and called 911. A couple of her friends showed up at the same time and they all took her in and put her bed. She's better now but still trying to get her weight up and strength back.
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 3/10/2017, 12:38 pm

My Mom is in end of life care. Treatment has been suspended. She is getting meds to keep her comfortable. It's very painful to watch her.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 3/10/2017, 1:03 pm

Sad Oh, I'm so sorry, TD. I've been thinking about you and your mom a lot lately and wondering how you were doing. It's so difficult to watch them suffer. I'm sure the dr's will do all they can to ease any discomfort she may be feeling. My prayers are with you and yours for a timely and gentle transition.
CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 3/10/2017, 1:22 pm

OH dear TD, warm wishes for you, truly a difficult time.
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 3/10/2017, 1:32 pm

CC
She was so sick that I finally told her I wouldn't talk to her anymore until she saw a dr. 
would you call this tough love?

Thank you for your thoughts, but if anyones passing could be a blessing, my mothers was.
She had a stroke while having an angiogram 10 years ago,  and gradually went down hill until she was not able to interact or do anything for herself for the past 3 years.  So I feel I said goodbye a long time ago.
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/10/2017, 4:11 pm

CC, Stubborn parents! My Mother was stubborn (controlling), even with her dementia. Thank goodness your Mom had friends show up to help her when she collapsed.

GWN, I'm so sorry.

TD, It's good that you are able to be with her at this time, even though it's horribly painful. I talked to Mother in her last 4 days on morphine (broken femur and pelvis - osteoporosis). Mother died within minutes when I whispered to Ken to tell her that he would take good care of me, her only child. Talk to her, tell her all the wonderful things about her and life with her. Let her know that she did everything right, that she made you a man who can take care of himself (and anyone else she may worry about). My Mother was unpleasant but I wanted her to be at peace so I put a positive spin on everything. Your Mom seems like a good Mom if you brought her home each Christmas season. That wonderful photo of her dipping pretzels in chocolate! I love you

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 3/10/2017, 4:17 pm

TD, It's good that you are able to be with her at this time, even though it's horribly painful. I talked to Mother in her last 4 days on morphine (broken femur and pelvis - osteoporosis). Mother died within minutes when I whispered to Ken to tell her that he would take good care of me, her only child. Talk to her, tell her all the wonderful things about her and life with her. Let her know that she did everything right, that she made you a man who can take care of himself (and anyone else she may worry about). My Mother was unpleasant but I wanted her to be at peace so I put a positive spin on everything. Your Mom seems like a good Mom if you brought her home each Christmas season. That wonderful photo of her dipping pretzels in chocolate!  CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in March 2017 - Page 2 Herz

how lovely.  We did exactly that in the last days of my mothers life.  We told her we would look after my dad.... and we are.
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 3/10/2017, 6:29 pm

Thanks everyone for your kind thoughts. Mom is still hanging on as I write in her room. She can no longer.communicate. We had a nice time on Thursday afternoon  talking about the good things in her life. I even got a few smiles. We also discussed her relationship with the Lord. Winter sowing and indoor sowing seem so trivial now when dealing with a life of 91 years coming to an end. Blessings to all.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 3/10/2017, 10:19 pm

I love you
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 3/11/2017, 12:50 am

We are with you TD and your Mom and family.  In our hearts.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 3/11/2017, 10:11 am

Kelejan wrote:We are with you TD and your Mom and family.  In our hearts.
Thank you all so much. Our bedside vigil continues. My Mom is calm and sleeping all the time due to the drugs she is receiving during this end of life phase.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 3/11/2017, 10:49 am

Reading, TD,. I am sorry that you and your Mom had a six hours journey to hospital.
In our community we lost our hospital along with the Hospice rooms so that now families have to travel to the next community for hospice care.

My husband passed away when we still had local hospice care and it was so good that our family and friends could pop in any time of the day or night and spend ten minutes with my Bill. The people seeing to that section of the hospital were so caring.  His Mom passed away there several years preciously and it was just the same.

We are trying to get funds to start a hospice building but it is an uphill battle. I would hate  be in hospice care and isolated from my friends at the end of my life. But them being able to drop in for ten minutes at a moments notice would make me very happy.

I hope you are having the same caring people as we had.  Gentle hugs to your Mom and your family.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 3/11/2017, 11:20 am

KJ it was Mrs TD and I who had the 6 hour journey from Ottawa to St.Catharines. My Mom is in an almost new hospital in St.Catharines and which is the main facility for the Niagara Region. She has her own nice big room. But that has to be because of her infection. The nursing staff are mostly caring but overworked. I rarely get to speak to a doctor.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next