Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in March 2017 - Page 5 Toplef10CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in March 2017 - Page 5 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in March 2017 - Page 5 I22gcj10CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in March 2017 - Page 5 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in March 2017 - Page 5 Toplef10CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in March 2017 - Page 5 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in March 2017 - Page 5 I22gcj10CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in March 2017 - Page 5 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 2:28 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson 4/23/2024, 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 4/23/2024, 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/22/2024, 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in March 2017

+8
CapeCoddess
Jaffa55
BeetlesPerSqFt
Scorpio Rising
GWN
sanderson
Kelejan
trolleydriver
12 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in March 2017 - Page 5 Empty Re: CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in March 2017

Post  Kelejan 3/22/2017, 12:34 am

Mim2, do not worry about being late with your seeding program, they always catch up.

If you look in one of the SFG books under Seedling Germination, there is a table that gives the days required at different temperatures. I am always surprised how a rise in temperature cuts down the number of days for seeds to germinate.

I my older years I am getting more relaxed about the actual time I plant seeds now.
In any case I have friends who give me transplants so I let them do the work.  Last year I had four tomato plants and between them I harvested at least forty pounds of tomatoes.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in March 2017 - Page 5 Empty Re: CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in March 2017

Post  trolleydriver 3/22/2017, 7:27 am

The funeral for my Mom was honouring to both her and the Lord. Now that it is over I expect the full impact of her passing will begin to affect me.

Mimi ... You have plenty of time to get tomatoes started in Ottawa. I'm not sure I will get any started indoors this year because we will be in St.Catharines taking care of my Mom's estate.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 3/22/2017, 8:56 am

TD, I'm glad the funeral went well...

Lots of hugs!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 3/22/2017, 12:12 pm

TD: I have no doubt that several of us here were thinking of you and your Mom on Tuesday. You were with her during the last days and now a time for mourning, at your own speed.

For some time now I have been de-cluttering paperwork that has gathered in my home and I have many letters received from my Mom over the years plus I always kept copies of my replies.  Finally I am getting them sorted in date order and at the same time re-reading each one. Instead of feeling sad, I am enjoying each one as it brings back memories.

Hugs.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 3/22/2017, 12:18 pm

My lawn is gradually exposing itself as the snow melts.  The ground is soggy and I still have not reached the main garden where the garlic, rhubarb,strawberries, tulips and other flowers are still snug under their snow cover.

Rain forecast for the rest of this week. Sad 

I remember in 1982 I took a trip to England, returning on April 1st hoping to start playing  golf as I had taken it up the previous year and was eager to improve my scores.  Only to find that my husband, his sister and her husband had already been playing for three weeks.  I bet all the golf courses and their players are feeling like us gardeners; can't wait to get going. Very Happy
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 3/22/2017, 12:46 pm

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in March 2017 - Page 5 Empty
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in March 2017 - Page 5 Empty  Kelejan Today at 9:39
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in March 2017 - Page 5 396615 c0ryp1 CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in March 2017 - Page 5 61949 from Woodstock, Ontario.
from Kelejan in British Columbia. CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in March 2017 - Page 5 445227

Welcome also to our CANADIAN REGIONAL thread from Kelejan, your Canadian Regional Host.

We seem to be getting quite a group from Ontario now with Trolley Driver from Ottawa being the most prolific writer.

As Canadians we are only now beginning to think that Spring will arrive and in no time we should be deep in the dirt at last, trying to catch up on all those things we could not do becasue of the snow, ice, freezing rain etc. Very Happy
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 3/23/2017, 10:03 am

Mrs TD and I are right into the cleaning out of my mother's house. We are thankful it is not a huge house but it is still overflowing with stuff. She kept a spotless, neat, orderly house. However, when we started to get into the closets, cupboards, dressers it is a sight to behold. Again she kept it all very orderly and clean but everything (and I mean everything) is in plastic bags, plastic clothes bags, etc.,  and there is not a bit of room to add anything more into those spaces.  We have bags upon bags upon bags of clothing to take to the Christian Thrift Store.  So I've come to the conclusion that my dear Mom was a closet hoarder. Very Happy

While going through some books yesterday I came across one called "Terrific Garden Tonics" (345 Do-It-Yourself, Fix 'Em Formulas for Maintaining a Lush Lawn & Gorgeous Garden) by Jerry Baker.  Me thinks that one is a keeper.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 3/23/2017, 11:47 am

trolleydriver wrote:Mrs TD and I are right into the cleaning out of my mother's house. We are thankful it is not a huge house but it is still overflowing with stuff. She kept a spotless, neat, orderly house. However, when we started to get into the closets, cupboards, dressers it is a sight to behold. Again she kept it all very orderly and clean but everything (and I mean everything) is in plastic bags, plastic clothes bags, etc.,  and there is not a bit of room to add anything more into those spaces.  We have bags upon bags upon bags of clothing to take to the Christian Thrift Store.  So I've come to the conclusion that my dear Mom was a closet hoarder. Very Happy
Hubby's mom was the same way. When she left us, the whole family came to go through her things. It was almost like having her there with us, helping to decide what to do with everything. It actually helped ease a little of the pain of losing her. Our daughter was in her 30s then, and her daughter was 9. Katie kept back some of the most sentimental treasures and gave them to her daughter over several Christmases from her "Memaw."
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 3/23/2017, 12:32 pm

trolleydriver wrote:
While going through some books yesterday I came across one called "Terrific Garden Tonics" (345 Do-It-Yourself, Fix 'Em Formulas for Maintaining a Lush Lawn & Gorgeous Garden) by Jerry Baker.  Me thinks that one is a keeper.

Oh yeah...my mom had one of his books once back before I knew squat about gardening. The concoctions she made and put on the lawn had me in stitches - mouthwash, beer, dish soap...all kinds of weird mixes. BUT...she had a lovely lawn and garden.
good idea
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 3/23/2017, 9:37 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:
trolleydriver wrote:

Oh yeah...my mom had one of his books once back before I knew squat about gardening.  The concoctions she made and put on the lawn had me in stitches - mouthwash, beer, dish soap...all kinds of weird mixes.  BUT...she had a lovely lawn and garden.
good idea
Jerry Baker:  Big time PBS organic early star for your garden and yard, roses, just normal stuff!  Yeah he had some real concoctions.  But much better than chemicals...
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 3/24/2017, 7:12 am

Ummm... Be careful with some of Jerry's stuff. He recommends things like tobacco, etc. That will kill beneficial bugs as well....

Like always - Examine every recipe before putting it together.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 3/24/2017, 11:35 am

This morning I took some of my Mom's clothing, books, etc. To a Mission Thrift Store . While I was there I noticed that they had a "never been used" Aerogarden Ultra LED unit for sale.  The asking price was $75 Canadian. The man behind the counter knew I was making a donation of things. So he said "I see a scratch" on the Aerogarden and he rang it up at $60. Of course there is no scratch  Very Happy
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 3/24/2017, 12:59 pm

That's nice about the AeroGaden, TD.  What you give often comes back to you.

I am feeling a little down right now.  No sunshine in sight for seven days.  When I read our local forecast yesterday there was a sun symbol for one day next week, but it has been switched off for today.

I was able to take a trek though most my garden yesterday and so far it does look pathetic and soggy, just like last year then I lost most of my garlic and tulips. I have faith that when the sun does shine again in my garden that it will take off.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 3/24/2017, 1:05 pm

trolleydriver wrote:This morning I took some of my Mom's clothing, books, etc. To a Mission Thrift Store . While I was there I noticed that they had a "never been used" Aerogarden Ultra LED unit for sale.  The asking price was $75 Canadian. The man behind the counter knew I was making a donation of things. So he said "I see a scratch" on the Aerogarden and he rang it up at $60. Of course there is no scratch  Very Happy
I can see lettuce growing in the winter in your house next year with the Aerogarden.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 3/24/2017, 1:14 pm

Nice sunny warm day here in the Niagara Peninsula.  Just took a walk around Mom's retirement "village" and noticed some rose bushes planted near a south-west wall have buds on the stems. As well the weeping willow trees appear to be starting up.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/24/2017, 5:00 pm

TD,  That's nice about the Aerogarden and it's invisible scratch. Very Happy  I was a court approved conservator so I had to sell most of Mother's collectables.  Still ended up with boxes and boxes donated.   Shocked

KJ,  Hang in there.  The sun will be back. sunny

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21546

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  GWN 3/26/2017, 10:55 am

TD with cleaning out of your mothers house, too bad it is winter.  My husband and I have each lost our mothers in the past few years and I dug up "souvenirs" from both of their gardens. It is alway nice to hang out in my mothers raspberry patch (I dug them up when she went into the "home") .... and my mother in laws bearded Irises 
We also dug up a plum tree that my father in law had planted. Lotsa memories in our yard
GWN
GWN

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 3/26/2017, 7:39 pm

That's nice, GWN...

SCORE, TD!!!!  Nice!  

KJ, I am like you, I need sunshine sunny
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi2 3/27/2017, 8:22 am

Kelejan wrote:Mim2, do not worry about being late with your seeding program, they always catch up.

If you look in one of the SFG books under Seedling Germination, there is a table that gives the days required at different temperatures. I am always surprised how a rise in temperature cuts down the number of days for seeds to germinate.

I my older years I am getting more relaxed about the actual time I plant seeds now.
In any case I have friends who give me transplants so I let them do the work.  Last year I had four tomato plants and between them I harvested at least forty pounds of tomatoes.
Thanks Kelejan! I did end up getting the tomato, pepper plants and flower seedling planting done after all. I think I have about 60 or so little pots ready to grow. Hopefully I'll get some green shoots coming up soon. I probably have enough to share with TD too :-) I probably have about 25 different varieties of tomatoes and pepper plants. I never do a very good job of marking tho- so they'll be a bit of a surprise.
Mimi2
Mimi2

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 3/27/2017, 8:25 am

Mimi ... that would be most welcome since it looks like I am not going to get mine started this year.  In fact I was thinking of sending you a PM to see if you would be able to share some with me.
Very Happy
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 3/27/2017, 10:04 pm

No wonder I was feeling a little down when I posted on the 24th.  Next morning I woke up with a cough etc. etc. and have been home bound since then.  I found some Buckley's Cough Syrup and nearly blew my head apart when I took a spoonful. I have no idea how long it had been in the medicine cupboard as I have not had a cold or cough for some years. So I ditched it

I thought I was immune but found I was just as vulnerable as the next person. I dragged myself downtown, stocked up cough mixture, lemon tea, grapes and oranges and retired to bed for the rest of the day.  The rest of the weekend has been spent in bed sleeping, or on the lounger watching TV and falling asleep on and off.

This morning I know I am on the mend but intend to tale it easy and make sure I get completely better.

Looking out the windows into the garden, the snow has all but melted but no way was I going out to spend time there.  The sun did shine this evening so maybe I will get out there for a little while tomorrow.    Cough! Cough! Time for another spoonful of cough medicine.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 3/27/2017, 10:13 pm

Kelejan wrote:No wonder I was feeling a little down when I posted on the 24th.  Next morning I woke up with a cough etc. etc. and have been home bound since then.  I found some Buckley's Cough Syrup and nearly blew my head apart when I took a spoonful. I have no idea how long it had been in the medicine cupboard as I have not had a cold or cough for some years. So I ditched it

I thought I was immune but found I was just as vulnerable as the next person. I dragged myself downtown, stocked up cough mixture, lemon tea, grapes and oranges and retired to bed for the rest of the day.  The rest of the weekend has been spent in bed sleeping, or on the lounger watching TV and falling asleep on and off.

This morning I know I am on the mend but intend to tale it easy and make sure I get completely better.

Looking out the windows into the garden, the snow has all but melted but no way was I going out to spend time there.  The sun did shine this evening so maybe I will get out there for a little while tomorrow.    Cough! Cough! Time for another spoonful of cough medicine.

After the stress of my mother's passing and the funeral service, I have come down with a miserable cold as well. Mrs TD and I are working our behinds off cleaning up the house.  So far I've taken about 40 bags of clothing and other things plus separate items (small tables) to the Mission Thrift Store and another thrift store. It's been crazy. Taking a day off on Tuesday to go visit our daughter and family who live about 80 minutes by care from here.

BTW it was a beautiful no jacket day in St.Catharines with a temperature of 18 Celsius (64 F).
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 3/28/2017, 12:40 am

Look after yourselves and each other as well as you can. Stress make you more vulnerable to colds and other illnesses. 

I have the luxury of retreating completely as I have few responsibilities, but you have to carry on to get the job completed.  This makes me realise that I really must get down once again to clearing my home as much as possible so as to save others having to do the job.  We spend out lives amassing so many large and small items especially if we stay in one place for any length of time.

tonight I am feeling a bit better and I know that when I wake in the morning I will have more energy to get up and do something.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/28/2017, 3:05 am

Kelejan wrote:The rest of the weekend has been spent in bed sleeping, or on the lounger watching TV and falling asleep on and off.
I bet Pal enjoyed time with you.  Whenever I was sick, Sweetie knew it was going to be a sleep with Mom day.

TD and KJ,  You guys take care of yourselves.

Mimi, That's really nice of you to share with TD. I love you

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21546

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi2 3/29/2017, 7:56 pm

trolleydriver wrote:The funeral for my Mom was honouring to both her and the Lord. Now that it is over I expect the full impact of her passing will begin to affect me.

Mimi ... You have plenty of time to get tomatoes started in Ottawa. I'm not sure I will get any started indoors this year because we will be in St.Catharines taking care of my Mom's estate.
Yes, of course I'll share my plants with you. I don't think I have enough room on my property to grow them all. You'll probably get more tomatoes with them than I do. My yeilds aren't that amazing. Ha ha!
Mimi2
Mimi2

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next