Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in JULY 2017? Toplef10CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in JULY 2017? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in JULY 2017? I22gcj10CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in JULY 2017? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in JULY 2017? Toplef10CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in JULY 2017? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in JULY 2017? I22gcj10CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in JULY 2017? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Today at 7:58 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by markqz Today at 2:19 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson Today at 2:06 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 11:03 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in JULY 2017?

+8
Fiz
Mimi2
CapeCoddess
sanderson
Scorpio Rising
SwampTroll
trolleydriver
Kelejan
12 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in JULY 2017? Empty CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in JULY 2017?

Post  Kelejan 7/1/2017, 2:51 am

To all Canadians: HAPPY CANADA DAY celebrating 150 YEARS.  Have a great day.

:canada: :canada: :canada: :canada: :canada: :canada: :canada: :canada: :canada: :canada: :canada: 

For myself I will be going to our Downtown Railway Museum and having a Pancake breakfast hungry prepared by our Mayor and hard working Councillors. The regular Farmers' Market will be adjacent so I hope they will be sold out and that it will provide some much needed exposure.

In the afternoon our celebrations will commence at our Millennium Park down by the Columbia River starting at 3pm.  There will be food vendors, and all sorts of music, games and activities. happy banana rock on   Providing the weather holds, we have three natural ponds for three levels of paddling and swimming.  At 4pm the "Bark Park", a state of the art dog park, will be officially opened.  When it gets dark there will be a 40ft screened movie and free popcorn and birthday cake.
smiles smiles smiles smiles

To round it off there will be fireworks.   I reckon that Sunday will be a very quiet day in our little city.

Last edited by Kelejan on 7/2/2017, 10:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in JULY 2017? Empty Re: CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in JULY 2017?

Post  trolleydriver 7/1/2017, 7:33 am

Thanks KJ and I also want to wish all Canadians a very Happy Canada Day.  Hundreds of thousands are expected to take in the festivities on and around Parliament Hill here in Ottawa.  People are visiting from right across country. Prince Charles and Camilla are here.  As for Mrs TD and I, we will keep it simple and take in the activities in our own community. Unfortunately, at this time (8 a.m.) the rain is coming down in buckets ... hopefully it will clear later in the day for the celebrations. 

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in JULY 2017? Oh%20Canada%20pic
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in JULY 2017? Empty Re: CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in JULY 2017?

Post  SwampTroll 7/1/2017, 12:30 pm

Here's hoping that it clears up as well.

If I don't pick up overtime tonight I have the following planned:

Thinning of beets.
Adding supports for the Peppers that need them
Rotate the potatoes (allows for even growing)
Lots of weed pulling/boiling water - other parts of the garden
Lawn mowing - if it dries out
Installing the trellis for the cukes/peas.
Order a weed whacker
Prep for moving/turning the compost bin.
SwampTroll
SwampTroll

Male Posts : 141

http://literate-troll.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 7/1/2017, 12:48 pm

The rain stopped so we decided to take a walk over to the local park where the community association is putting on a Canada Day celebration. We didn't even get past the front porch before the rain started pouring down again.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/1/2017, 10:23 pm

Happy Canada Day, neighbors!  You are great allies and friends!  Enjoy and celebrate your awesome country!  
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in JULY 2017? 3170584802
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8731

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/1/2017, 11:35 pm

Happy Canada Day to my dear northern cousins! :canada: smiles

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21556

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 7/2/2017, 3:58 pm

This is really getting to be ridiculous ... raining heavily again. We must be setting a record for the number of days in a row that we have had rain.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 7/2/2017, 5:06 pm

My neighbors are in Ottawa right now. They called last night and told me that it's been raining ever since they got there. I'm taking care of their gardens and her veggie garden. We're starving for rain here. So I watered her garden this morning and ate all her sugar snap peas.
Wink
Happy Canada Day weekend! CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in JULY 2017? 3170584802
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 7/2/2017, 9:07 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:My neighbors are in Ottawa right now. They called last night and told me that it's been raining ever since they got there. I'm taking care of their gardens and her veggie garden.  We're starving for rain here. So I watered her garden this morning and ate all her sugar snap peas.
Wink
Happy Canada Day weekend! CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in JULY 2017? 3170584802
CC I feel sorry for your neighbours. They came all the way up here just to get drenched. It's a shame because Ottawa is such a beautiful city to visit and I feel blessed to live here.

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in JULY 2017? Ottawa-city-in-canada

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in JULY 2017? Ottawa_-_ON_-_Stadtansicht

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in JULY 2017? Ottawa
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 7/2/2017, 10:46 pm

Well, yesterday was a very hot day for our Canada 150 celebrations, and walking to the Breakfast and Farmers' Market in the morning, walking to and from the grand opening of the Dog Park and seeing the kids in the natural swimming ponds and the vendors and listening to the music, I must have walked a total of two and a half hours of actual walking in the blazing sun, trying as much as I could to walk under every shadow of tree and building I could find.

I was well supplied with water, as I drank two bottles in total and when I arrived home I had a shower and a rest.  Later in the evening I walked Guthrie but only for a short 15 minute walk while I watered my friend's potted plants. Then I was in bed by 9pm and slept through to 7am.

The breakfast put on by our mayor and councillors was well attended, there was a half hour line-up, then a seat in the main area with full sun and I found it very uncomfortable.

The Dog Park was opened in the afternoon by the mayor etc., the dogs let in, the little ones to the right where it was shady and the big ones to the left where there was no shade at all.  Within half an hour all the dogs had gone, they had had enough of chasing around in the heat.  I expect ,in the evenings and mornings in this heat,  the park will be well attended.

Today, too hot again to do anything in the garden and it will be like this for the rest of the week with temperatures in the 35Cs with no relief.

Would someone, say in Ottawa, send a few clouds and raindrops my way?  I would be so grateful. CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in JULY 2017? Icon_biggrin
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in JULY 2017? 4500-40
Kelejan
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 7/3/2017, 7:40 am

The forecast is for sun and cloud with only a 30% chance of showers starting later in the day. Mrs TD and I will be working the gardens today.  Very Happy
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 7/3/2017, 4:42 pm

Yippee ... no rain.  Sunshine, blue skies, and a few clouds from time to time.

Blue Skies
Ella Fitzgerald

Blue skies
Smiling at me
Nothing but blue skies
Do I see

Bluebirds
Singing a song
Nothing but bluebirds
All day long

Never saw the sun shining so bright
Never saw things going so right
Noticing the days hurrying by
When you're in love, my how they fly

Blue days
All of them gone
Nothing but blue skies
From now on
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 7/3/2017, 7:11 pm

So happy for you all in Ottawa and surrounds, T. D.Very Happy

In the mid-thirties here today and it makes me feel tired.  No dog walking until 8pm.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  SwampTroll 7/3/2017, 9:01 pm

Ottawa is indeed a beautiful city and I had the pleasure of roaming it's streets off and on for close to two years.  My favorite part of it is the infamous ByWard Market.  Somehow I always ended up at Beaver Tails.

They also have some amazing museums.
SwampTroll
SwampTroll

Male Posts : 141

http://literate-troll.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/3/2017, 9:15 pm

trolleydriver wrote:Yippee ... no rain.  Sunshine, blue skies, and a few clouds from time to time.

Blue Skies
Ella Fitzgerald

Blue skies
Smiling at me
Nothing but blue skies
Do I see

Bluebirds
Singing a song
Nothing but bluebirds
All day long

Never saw the sun shining so bright
Never saw things going so right
Noticing the days hurrying by
When you're in love, my how they fly

Blue days
All of them gone
Nothing but blue skies
From now on
Huge fan!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8731

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 7/5/2017, 7:59 pm

It was quite a good day yesterday with the temp only rising to 32C, but today is another story.

For the rest of the week we will be hovering around the 37C to 38C mark and I find it very hard going. I think our small city will be the hottest in British Columbia.

I was up early this morning, 5a.m. and watering parts of my garden that needed it most, then I have stayed indoors and spent a couple of hours sorting out paperwork and seeing if I can discard some of it.  I limit myself to an hour at a time as it can get very boring and I also seem to want to read every piece of paper first.

This evening I will be going to "Concerts in the Park" as my friends down the road will be performing and other friends will be giving me a lift.  The park is Kinnaird Park and it is quite a bit higher than where I live so I am hoping it will be cooler, but I have no doubt there will be lots of mosquitoes there and they love me. I have my repellent ready.

I hope those of you who have had too much rain are enjoying the sunshine.  Me, I would like a few hours of rain overnight to water the garden, cool the air, and give all firefighters a much needed respite.

Last edited by Kelejan on 7/7/2017, 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi2 7/6/2017, 9:13 pm

We are getting lots of strawberries these days. [size=34]My avatar shows the ones I picked today. Gotta love that fresh food. The raspberries and blueberries should be ready in a couple of weeks. I think all my lovely lettuce has bolted though.[/size]
Mimi2
Mimi2

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 7/7/2017, 12:48 pm

Yeah, my lettuce has bolted, too Mimi. I don't dare start more since we haven't even entered our hot weather yet.

Btw, one lettuce that's a fave of mine due to still tasting fine after bolting is Rouge d' Hiver, so I plant lots of it. Picked some yesterday to use as hot dog buns and to dip in scape flavored hummus.
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 7/7/2017, 5:40 pm

We have had good weather for a few days but this afternoon we got a band of thunderstorms and torrential rain passing through.

Here are the hen and chicks in front of our house.

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in JULY 2017? Img_4222
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Fiz 7/7/2017, 8:05 pm

We just got similar torrential rain and thunderstorms, TD. Haven't seen anything like that in a long time. It was a severe downpour with lightning flashes every few seconds, and rolling thunder that all lasted at least 30 straight minutes. Then it slowed down and started up again for another 10! One of my tomato pots got knocked over, so I ran out with my umbrella and righted it, lol. It's all done now. No hail thankfully, as my corn had started its pollen shed this morning. The only other casualty was an eggplant plant in a pot which is leaning severely to one side. Fixing it as soon as I hit send.
Fiz
Fiz

Male Posts : 152

Back to top Go down

Post  Fiz 7/7/2017, 8:12 pm

Beautiful rainbow over the garden. Plants will perk up from that nitrogen they got from the lightning!

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in JULY 2017? Img_6233
Fiz
Fiz

Male Posts : 152

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi2 7/8/2017, 9:34 am

CapeCoddess wrote:Yeah, my lettuce has bolted, too Mimi.  I don't dare start more  since we haven't even entered our hot weather yet.  

Btw, one lettuce that's a fave of mine due to still tasting fine after bolting is Rouge d' Hiver, so I plant lots of it.  Picked some yesterday to use as hot dog buns and to dip in scape flavored hummus.
Thanks for the tip. Seems like we ate a lot of red lettuce last year year and it didn't get bitter. It is all making sense now.
Mimi2
Mimi2

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi2 7/8/2017, 9:35 am

Help. My cucumbers have lots of flowers but no baby cukes growing yet. What can I do?
Mimi2
Mimi2

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 7/8/2017, 9:41 am

Mimi2 wrote:Help. My cucumbers have lots of flowers but no baby cukes growing yet. What can I do?
Mine are getting flowers as well.  So far I only see what look like male flowers. There are no female flowers which have miniature cukes between the stems and the flowers.

If necessary,hand pollinate when the female flowers appear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hq_KNAAG7j0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqJJmSZpPwM
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 7/8/2017, 8:11 pm

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in JULY 2017? 19932141_1198575443582491_150663621632851968_n
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next