Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Winter Hobbies and Crafts Toplef10Winter Hobbies and Crafts 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Winter Hobbies and Crafts I22gcj10Winter Hobbies and Crafts 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Winter Hobbies and Crafts Toplef10Winter Hobbies and Crafts 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Winter Hobbies and Crafts I22gcj10Winter Hobbies and Crafts 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Today at 3:09 am

» N & C Midwest: October 2024
by OhioGardener 10/16/2024, 6:18 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 10/11/2024, 5:31 pm

» Confirm what this is
by sanderson 10/11/2024, 2:51 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 10/10/2024, 5:47 pm

» Harlequin Beetles?
by sanderson 10/7/2024, 3:08 pm

» Preserving A Bumper Tomato Harvest with Freezing vs Canning
by sanderson 10/7/2024, 3:05 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 10/6/2024, 4:20 pm

» Greetings from Southeastern Wisconsin
by OhioGardener 10/6/2024, 12:05 pm

» N & C Midwest: September 2024
by OhioGardener 9/30/2024, 4:13 pm

» The SFG Journey-Biowash
by OhioGardener 9/29/2024, 8:33 am

» Fall is For Garlic Planting
by Scorpio Rising 9/28/2024, 12:19 am

» source for chemical-free lanscape fabric
by Woodsong 9/19/2024, 10:51 am

» Hurricane
by sanderson 9/14/2024, 5:42 pm

» Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas
by sanderson 9/12/2024, 2:09 am

» Old Mulch and Closing Beds for Winter
by Scorpio Rising 9/11/2024, 8:23 pm

» Pest Damage
by WBIowa 9/8/2024, 2:48 pm

» cabbage moth?
by jemm 9/8/2024, 9:15 am

» adding compost yearly
by sanderson 9/5/2024, 2:16 am

» N & C Midwest: August 2024
by OhioGardener 8/31/2024, 8:13 pm

» Article - Create a Seed Library to Share the Extras
by OhioGardener 8/26/2024, 4:09 pm

» Best Tasting Parthenocarpic Cucumber?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 7:07 pm

» Winter Squash Arch
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 8:02 am

» Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries
by OhioGardener 8/19/2024, 10:09 am

» Looking for a local source for transplants.... Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:26 am

» Hi, y'all. I'm new to everything in Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:21 am

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 8/14/2024, 5:47 pm

» Hi from N. Georgia
by AtlantaMarie 8/13/2024, 8:57 am

» Hello from Atlanta, Georgia
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:09 am

» growing tomatoes from seed outside
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:05 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Winter Hobbies and Crafts

+8
plantoid
CapeCoddess
Scorpio Rising
countrynaturals
Kelejan
jimmy cee
trolleydriver
sanderson
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Winter Hobbies and Crafts Empty Winter Hobbies and Crafts

Post  sanderson 10/16/2016, 3:47 am

Obviously, this topic is a little early for the Northern Hemisphere, but here it is. Use it for displaying/discussing hobbies, crafts or winter projects.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21619

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Winter Hobbies and Crafts Empty Re: Winter Hobbies and Crafts

Post  trolleydriver 10/16/2016, 7:54 am

sanderson wrote:Obviously, this topic is a little early for the Northern Hemisphere, but here it is.  Use it for displaying/discussing hobbies, crafts or winter projects.
You do realize that I will be discussing my "virtual flying" hobby or perhaps I can present some of Mrs TD's hobbies, crafts.  Very Happy
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5388

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 10/16/2016, 10:57 am

I will be using my spare time, between painting house, cooking, cleaning, swimming, playing music, winter garden work, washing clothes, plowing snow, shopping, housework, remodeling,  and lots of other chores. In my spare time I'll be making my surf fishing lures still. We did this as a business for the past 30 years, this year was our last.
Since having all equipment and material I will continue working on these just to have something to do....

Winter Hobbies and Crafts 4_supe10
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 10/16/2016, 12:45 pm

trolleydriver wrote:
sanderson wrote:Obviously, this topic is a little early for the Northern Hemisphere, but here it is.  Use it for displaying/discussing hobbies, crafts or winter projects.
You do realize that I will be discussing my "virtual flying" hobby or perhaps I can present some of Mrs TD's hobbies, crafts.  Very Happy

I will be looking forward to your results, TD, having happy memories of last winter.

For myself, I will be getting back to tracing my ancestry, and catching up on my letters to my birth family in England, to find out more about my mother and her siblings.
Starting this effort some years ago, I was instrumental in bringing  two branches of the family together who had lost touch in the 1960s. It was a request of mine in the 1990s about a great-uncle and his three sons.  This year, 2016, I had a reply and it turned out there were four sons and the reply was from his grand daughter. When I mentioned it to our family historian, he said he knew of the fourth son but had lost touch with that side of the family.  Since then there has been a blizzard of letters and I owe them a letter.  This is when I am happy that my gardening is seaonal, too many other things to do.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6009

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 10/16/2016, 12:51 pm

Early?  Shocked I started months ago. I'm almost finished with Christmas knitting, about to start back on rock painting. The difference is that I need something to do all summer when it's too hot to go outside and play. Rolling Eyes
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5697

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 10/16/2016, 12:59 pm

countrynaturals wrote:
Early?  Shocked I started months ago. I'm almost finished with Christmas knitting, about to start back on rock painting. The difference is that I need something to do all summer when it's too hot to go outside and play. Rolling Eyes

Very Happy We are egocentric, we forget this is a big continent(world) with different seasons at the same time.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 10/16/2016, 8:18 pm

thinking So what should we call this thread?  Off season activities.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8823

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/16/2016, 8:24 pm

I was thinking "Winter Hobbies and Crafts" Very Happy

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 10/17/2016, 10:30 am

Thought I would share with you what Mrs TD is doing.  These are fishtail blankets that she is crocheting for the grandkids. She has two more to make.

Winter Hobbies and Crafts Img_2822Winter Hobbies and Crafts Img_2821Winter Hobbies and Crafts Img_2820
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 10/17/2016, 11:39 am

That's neat.  Keeps them snug. 

Now and then I take up knitting, it is really very soothing, but my Jazz could not then sit on my lap so I gave it up after a while.  I used to knit slippers for Ronald MacDonald Home visitors.  I had a whole load of yarn given me, all colours and thicknesses, and the beauty of it was that I could knit the same pattern every time and the result was sure to fit someone.

I wonder of Pal would allow me without wanting to play with the yarn.  He is a grownup cat and not a kitten.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/17/2016, 4:22 pm

Razz Good luck! Prey is prey at all ages.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 10/17/2016, 4:54 pm

TD, do those fish tail blankies go all the way around so the kids can stick their legs in there and have mermaid and merman tails?
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 10/17/2016, 5:27 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:TD, do those fish tail blankies go all the way around so the kids can stick their legs in there and have mermaid and merman tails?
Absolutely. They are like tubes that they get into. The shark is quite effective!  Very Happy
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 10/17/2016, 7:20 pm

Part of my winter time will be spent returning to a hobby I started 35 years ago , that of lost wax casting to make small cast in metals such as brass . copper gold & silver etc .  using investment powder cast ceramic moulds to hold intricate hand made  wax forms that I'll make .

As a present to Alison,  just after she moved in with me in 1986  I made her nine small cats playing with a ball of wool in 18 carat gold and a larger 1" high one of a cat sat tall in lead ,   plus one of a set of three hand made filed and drilled  small thin ingots in silver that contained the initials of DAPP  joined together ( David , Alison , Peter & Paula ) P&P are the initials of my children from my first marriage .

I was going to give her the set of nine cats as the big ones , but couldn't afford the fortune for the 2 ounces of gold needed to do it at the time .

Shhhhhh ! .........It may happen this time though if she still has the larger cast lead cat in her jewelry box

It's been an expensive re learning curve ,  I'm currently trying to locate British company's that sell small batches of vulcanising rubber  for me to make the moulds for repeating my models in hard casting wax .

I've also got to make nearly all my own equipment as well for again I can't find any company here in th UK that sells the equipments at prices I can afford or can justify paying for ..

By this time next year I may have something worthwhile to show you guys & gals  . Very Happy
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4091

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 10/18/2016, 12:37 am

Sounds fascinating.  I for one will all look forward to seeing your creations.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 10/18/2016, 7:37 am

TD, I had to send copies to my mom. I know she'll get a kick out of them. She has knitted puppets in the past. I believe one was a shark...

Plantoid, Alison will be thrilled I'm sure!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5599

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/18/2016, 3:50 pm

Plantoid, can't wait

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 10/18/2016, 7:35 pm

trolleydriver wrote:
CapeCoddess wrote:TD, do those fish tail blankies go all the way around so the kids can stick their legs in there and have mermaid and merman tails?
Absolutely. They are like tubes that they get into. The shark is quite effective!  Very Happy
Those are adorable!  Nice work, Mrs. TD!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 10/18/2016, 7:48 pm

sanderson wrote:Plantoid,  can't wait
Very very intriguing!  Fun!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 8/26/2019, 12:14 pm

countrynaturals wrote:
Just starting on the rosemary harvest. The sprigs I cut last week are already dry. Time to order some little tulle bags for sachet and dryer bags. bounce
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 8/26/2019, 12:22 pm

plantoid wrote:Part of my winter time will be spent returning to a hobby I started 35 years ago , that of lost wax casting to make small cast in metals such as brass . copper gold & silver etc .  using investment powder cast ceramic moulds to hold intricate hand made  wax forms that I'll make .

As a present to Alison,  just after she moved in with me in 1986  I made her nine small cats playing with a ball of wool in 18 carat gold and a larger 1" high one of a cat sat tall in lead ,   plus one of a set of three hand made filed and drilled  small thin ingots in silver that contained the initials of DAPP  joined together ( David , Alison , Peter & Paula ) P&P are the initials of my children from my first marriage .

I was going to give her the set of nine cats as the big ones , but couldn't afford the fortune for the 2 ounces of gold needed to do it at the time .

Shhhhhh ! .........It may happen this time though if she still has the larger cast lead cat in her jewelry box

It's been an expensive re learning curve ,  I'm currently trying to locate British company's that sell small batches of vulcanising rubber  for me to make the moulds for repeating my models in hard casting wax .

I've also got to make nearly all my own equipment as well for again I can't find any company here in th UK that sells the equipments at prices I can afford or can justify paying for ..

By this time next year I may have something worthwhile to show you guys & gals  . Very Happy
huh?  Pictures?
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 8/26/2019, 6:36 pm

Sorry I'm totally bamboozled how to put picture on any website now I have MS Windows 10 , initially I was able to but after about two months  in June last year( 2018 ) I had an automatic update & everything went pear shaped .

I can load the pictures  to a picture file but not get them from the file into a website , it keeps trying to get me to use faceache , twitter  & other associated platforms instead or use Microsofts cloud storage .

Don't worry ,  now summer is coming to a close I'll have a lot more time  to work my way through things…. Hhmmmm Microsoft cloud ?  That might be the problem . 

I've made my metal melting furnace , lined it with refractory reinforced concrete  , put the furnace in a heavy steel frame and made it wheel mounted as it weighs about 300 pounds .
 Made a simple venturi burner that roars like a tank engine when lit and set to full gas pressure for heating the furnace . 

Obtained a graphite crucible from China , obtained the instatement powder as well as casting wax and some rubber sheet  treated with sulphur to make some vulcanized rubber moulds  to inject the casting wax into make forms for the lost wax casting . 

Before I can inject the warmed up wax into the vulcanised moulds I have to turnup a precision wax  injection device on my lathe & find a way of heating it just enough to plasticise the casting wax ready for injecting ..no mean feat I can tell you.
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4091

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 8/26/2019, 7:05 pm

Plantoid wrote:Sorry I'm totally bamboozled how to put picture on any website now I have MS Windows 10
If you'd like to send me some jpg files, I'd be happy to post them for you. If you want to, send me a PM and I'll send you my email address.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 8/26/2019, 7:39 pm

Plantoid...I feel your pain; Windows 10 is a bear when you need to send a file or picture without sending it as an email attachment. MS wants you to stick everything in their "cloud", and then charge you a fee once you've maxed out your allotted GB's. The heck with their Cloud Service, I'd rather just tell Microsoft to go "stick it" where the sun don't shine. Evil or Very Mad
Yardslave
Yardslave

Male Posts : 544

Back to top Go down

Winter Hobbies and Crafts Empty Rosemary

Post  countrynaturals 8/27/2019, 12:37 pm

I'm whittling away at my huge rosemary bush. I harvested a nice bunch last week. It's already dry (high heat, low humidity). Today I started working on it. Plucking the needles is fun and smells great.
Winter Hobbies and Crafts Rosema14

Here is the yield from this morning -- only the top inch or 2 from the box.
Winter Hobbies and Crafts Rosema15

Yesterday, I ordered little drawstring bags from Amazon. Katie's charity (Love Your Pet Expo) is part of Amazon Smile, so she might get a nickel out of it. Rolling Eyes  Anyway, they were only $7.99 for 100 with free shipping. YEE-HAH! When they get here next week, I'll start stuffing them for dryer bags and Christmas presents. Very Happy 

After I was finished, I had a pile of dry, fragrant stems left over. I broke those into little sticks for fire-starters this winter.
Winter Hobbies and Crafts Firest10

Obviously, I have way too much time on my hands. rofl
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next