Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in September 2016 - Page 6 Toplef10CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in September 2016 - Page 6 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in September 2016 - Page 6 I22gcj10CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in September 2016 - Page 6 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in September 2016 - Page 6 Toplef10CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in September 2016 - Page 6 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in September 2016 - Page 6 I22gcj10CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in September 2016 - Page 6 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson Today at 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:16 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by sanderson Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:52 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:53 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:36 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:57 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson Mon Apr 22, 2024 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson Sun Apr 21, 2024 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth Sun Apr 21, 2024 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie Sun Apr 21, 2024 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson Mon Apr 15, 2024 2:33 pm

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener Sat Apr 13, 2024 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:43 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson Mon Apr 08, 2024 10:28 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in September 2016

+6
CapeCoddess
Mimi2
countrynaturals
Scorpio Rising
trolleydriver
sanderson
10 posters

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Go down

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in September 2016 - Page 6 Empty Re: CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in September 2016

Post  Mimi2 Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:21 am

Kelejan- Your post was a very interesting read indeed. It always feels like we've had a little visit over a nice cup of tea- and I have had a glimpse of your life through your eyes. And it is lovely Smile In between there are good tips, that remind me things like "Oh yes, I should be planting my bulbs (including garlic)." Thanks for injecting some small town charm, warmth, and gardening nuggets into my daily commute to cubicle town.
Mimi2
Mimi2

Back to top Go down

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in September 2016 - Page 6 Empty Re: CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in September 2016

Post  trolleydriver Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:04 am

Mimi2 wrote:Kelejan- Your post was a very interesting read indeed. It always feels like we've had a little visit over a nice cup of tea- and I have had a glimpse of your life through your eyes. And it is lovely Smile In between there are good tips, that remind me things like "Oh yes, I should be planting my bulbs (including garlic)." Thanks for injecting some small town charm, warmth, and gardening nuggets into my daily commute to cubicle town.

+1
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:35 pm

Mimi2 wrote:Kelejan- Your post was a very interesting read indeed. It always feels like we've had a little visit over a nice cup of tea- and I have had a glimpse of your life through your eyes. And it is lovely Smile In between there are good tips, that remind me things like "Oh yes, I should be planting my bulbs (including garlic)." Thanks for injecting some small town charm, warmth, and gardening nuggets into my daily commute to cubicle town.

Mimi, I am enjoying all this writing stuff considering when at school I used to look at a blank page in my exercise book and have to write an essay on some subject and a couple of times I actually turned in a blank page.  I suppose when there is something that interests me I have no problem filling a couple of pages. I would not be any good on Twitter as I believe one is limited to 140 words?  I do have a FaceBook account and I am inclined to be a bit verbose on there as well as here.

I know that this Forum is about gardening so I do try and inject a few words about that subject, as bolded in your comment above. I am not the most knowledgeable of gardeners but I try not to say something if I do not know what I am talking about.  As a Host I feel it is my job to welcome people here and get them to feel at home and ask questions so that others more knowledgeable can answer them.

When I was asked to be  a Hostess here in late 2014 I delayed my answer until January 1st 2015 as I felt that I did not understand enough compared to all the experts here and I thought maybe some would look down on me but everyone, without exception, has never made me feel a lesser gardener.  This Forum is now one of the important things in my life.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:19 pm

I love your posts, too, Kelejan!  And for me, my climate can be more like Ontario than some of my own region, depending on the year/season.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi2 Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:56 am

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in September 2016 - Page 6 IMG_20160930_071208_zps4dcmypro

Here is my indoor herb garden planted in MM and transplanted from my SFG. I reverse hardened the plants by leaving them outside for a couple of days to get them used to being in pots, and the warmer, and more sheltered conditions of the house. Before coming inside they were waiting in their pots next to a warm brick wall in the car port. And when I brought them in last night- I left the window open for a few hours...until Chris said: why is the window open? Why is it so cold in here? I'll keep you posted if this experiment works.

Question: do you think the herbs will get enough natural light- or should I rig up some artificial lightening to help them out?
Mimi2
Mimi2

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:55 pm

Is your window facing south? Then I think they may have sufficient light, otherwise supplementary lighting would be good.

Other opinions welcome. Very Happy
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:08 pm

Kelejan wrote:Is your window facing south? Then I think they may have sufficient light, otherwise supplementary lighting would be good.

Looks good Mimi. I agree with Kelejan concerning the light from a south facing window.

The following website article is good and there are many others. Note in particular, "This technique works best for perennial and biennial herbs, such as chives, mint, oregano, thyme, parsley, and rosemary. Annual herbs, such as basil, tend to tire after a few weeks indoors. Annual herbs are best started from seed indoors under grow lights and grown as new plants for a winter harvest."

http://garden.org/ediblelandscaping/?page=201009-how-to
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:32 pm

I finally finished trimming all of the cedar hedges. On two sides they are quite high which requires the use of a step ladder to allow me reach on top. As well, they are quite wide which means I am at full stretch to reach across the top to trim the parts on the neighbours' sides. Two of the three neighbours are not keeping their sides trimmed so eventually these hedges are going to look awful. For the most part I just left the trimmings on the ground where they fell except if they fell onto lawn areas in which case I gathered them up and used them on paths near the SFG. I saved about $400 by doing this myself. As well I got lots of exercise, although I have to spread the work out by doing about 1 to 3 hours per day over a few days. I'm no spring chicken.

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in September 2016 - Page 6 Stock-vector-english-idiom-spring-chicken-illustration-313948334
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising Fri Sep 30, 2016 6:44 pm

Mimi, I have never been able to keep any herbs alive over winter except Rosemary.  Tried dill, basil, and maybe cilantro?  But I only have an east facing window big enough to handle the plants....keep us posted.  Love your set-up!

TD, my lists are way longer than my capacity to get them completed in the time I personally alot them!  Grrr!  At least I can do them at a pace I can handle!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8712

Back to top Go down

Post  Mimi2 Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:40 pm

trolleydriver wrote:
Kelejan wrote:Is your window facing south? Then I think they may have sufficient light, otherwise supplementary lighting would be good.

Looks good Mimi. I agree with Kelejan concerning the light from a south facing window.

The following website article is good and there are many others. Note in particular, "This technique works best for perennial and biennial herbs, such as chives, mint, oregano, thyme, parsley, and rosemary. Annual herbs, such as basil, tend to tire after a few weeks indoors. Annual herbs are best started from seed indoors under grow lights and grown as new plants for a winter harvest."

http://garden.org/ediblelandscaping/?page=201009-how-to

Thanks for the tips and ideas friends. I think the lighting situation may not be too bad for now. The window is South-ish (southeast). I think I do have a few biannual and perennial herbs in the mix. I'll let you all know how it goes.
Mimi2
Mimi2

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:47 am

+1 !!

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:52 am

Mimi, The stand is so cute!

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21547

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:50 am

Our Canadian thread is continued in

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing in October 2016.

See you there. Very Happy
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6