Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing July, August, September Toplef10CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing July, August, September 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing July, August, September I22gcj10CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing July, August, September 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing July, August, September Toplef10CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing July, August, September 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing July, August, September I22gcj10CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing July, August, September 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/17/2024, 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

» Horsey poop
by MrBooker 2/29/2024, 10:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing July, August, September

5 posters

Go down

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing July, August, September Empty CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing July, August, September

Post  Kelejan 7/7/2020, 11:14 am

Over half of 2020 gone and what a year it has become.

For myself I am downsizing as I will be moving  sometime and I will have to leave it all behind.  I have been trying to take care of the lawn that with all the rain we have had gets out of my control at times. I swear it grows an inch a day and is so hard to keep looking nice.  With all this growth, when we do get sunshine it takes ages to be dry enough to cut.  I did that over two days with the blades set high, and today I had hoped to lower the cut and have it a bit easier to push the mower.

I am having a nice crop of sugar snap peas, had strawberries, lettuce and radishes and there is plenty of garlic.  A few cherries on the trees due to lack of pollination in the spring   and I can only see two apples on my tree, whereas last year I was overwhelmed with them and spent many hours dehydrating them. I also expect a nice harvest of blueberries as the bushes are loaded with them.

I have never seen my garden so green as this year with all the rain in the summer.
Right now the rain has arrived and I was going to do so much in the garden today but it is not to be.  Yesterday the temp got to 84F by the time I had finished mowing the grass and laid out the the grass to dry before it went mushy.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing July, August, September Empty Re: CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing July, August, September

Post  lvanderb 7/9/2020, 3:12 pm

Ah hah, so that's where the rain is! Well, we're slated for random thunderstorms in the next 4 or 5 days, so maybe our brown grass will green up? Actually just northeast of us in Toronto, they got a whole lot of rain a few days ago that totaled all the rain they got in June, but in one day - yep, there was flooding. We got none of that. It hasn't rained more than 1/4" this month.

My garden, well, the cucumbers and beans exploded. I've never seen bush beans that big, they're all falling over and are more suitable to 1 per foot rather than the 4 I think I put per sq. foot. Similarly, my cuke plants are huge, maybe normal for some, but nothing I'm used to. Consequently I've been visited, for the first time by cucumber beetles that are busily eating all those bushy cucumber leaves and visiting other plants too. I did thin out the cucumbers to allow air and beneficial insects to get in, and also dusted with DE a bit.

Tomato and cucumber trellises that hubby built for me:
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing July, August, September Img_2023

Huge bean leaf:
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing July, August, September Img_2022

Another view of cucumber trellis, before they got really big and cucumber beetles found them:
CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing July, August, September Img_2021

Linda
lvanderb
lvanderb

Female Posts : 61

Back to top Go down

CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing July, August, September Empty Re: CANADIAN REGION: What are you doing July, August, September

Post  Kelejan 7/9/2020, 4:21 pm

You are getting results, Linda. do you preserve any food that you grow? I can or dehydrate apples, cherries, beans and anything else I can so that I have fruits and vegetables for the winter.

I saw on TV  the floods in Toronto, something like 63mm in one go.  We have lots of floods in British Columbia and it seems to affect low lying trailer parks as they often seem to be  near watersheds that flood in the spring with rain and snow melt.

In Surrey where there are many agricultural fields there that  the Fraser River floods them at time.  So many streams,  rivers small and large drain into that watershed and it can take five days and you know the rivers are going to rise and there i little that can be done.

Yesterday I was able to cut my lawn again but them I ran out of steam and decided to finish it today, but the weather is chilly and windy so thee are other things I can do in comfort. The weather forecast keeps telling us that tomorrow will be warm, dry and sunny, but tomorrow seldom comes. Sad  Right now the wind is kicking up and clouds are scudding across the sky. Our 40% chance of rain will soon be here.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  lvanderb 7/9/2020, 4:32 pm

I tend to freeze veggies, but I will see, I have a larger dehydrator now, so will dehydrate. I haven't harvested any cucumbers, but they will be coming soon, no zucchini yet - I may have to cut off some of the leaves to let the pollinators in or hand pollinate, but I'm not worried yet. The beans are just starting to set. I'll freeze them. Hubby can't eat them, but I love them.

We should get a bumper crop of apples - good idea to dehydrate, I may do that.

It's so hot here...33 or 34C. I think the thunderstorm watch is over for the day, lol... I'll water tonight. My fruit trees have some curled leaves. My tomatoes did until I started watering, only have cherry tomatoes setting right now. I'll get tomatoes in August and September and will make tomato powder - that is yummy.

If my kale ever gets going, I can make green powder.

The winter sowing I did was a real fail this year, so next year I'll be starting most seeds indoors, still better than buying nursery starts, which I ended up doing for my tomatoes and a pepper. Actually I did start some tomatoes on June 1 and they are starting to grow, so I'll get tomatoes from those, just later.

I can sit one of my compost in place containers beside a tomato plant and really see a difference in growth, so cool!

Linda
lvanderb
lvanderb

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 8/10/2020, 7:32 pm

KJ are you ok?  Have not heard from you for some time.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/11/2020, 6:37 pm

It's been a month since we have heard from you, KJ. Please let us know if you are okay. I love you

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21487

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 8/11/2020, 6:43 pm

sanderson wrote:It's been a month since we have heard from you, KJ.  Please let us know if you are okay. I love you

I just sent her an email. Hopefully she will get back.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/11/2020, 8:49 pm

I love you
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8682

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 8/11/2020, 9:25 pm

trolleydriver wrote:
sanderson wrote:It's been a month since we have heard from you, KJ.  Please let us know if you are okay. I love you

I just sent her an email. Hopefully she will get back.

I really did not realise how quickly time flies even in spite of being isolated at home although allowed out now with the new way of living.
It humbles me that I am missed and I really appreciated this SFG forum, one of the best that can be in this world.

As I said over a month ago, I am downsizing my home in preparation for returning to England. I never, ever realised how much STUFF I have in my house and I have promised myself that it will never get like like that any more.

My garden:  have not done much but did have a wonderful crop of sugar-snap peas, plus garlic and blueberries.  From my two trees I have had cherries and apples, but not the amount I had last year.  The grass as usual has been hard to keep up with having to mow in the hot weather we have been having.

Last year when returning from England it took weeks to tame the overgrown garden so was not able to prepare much for the spring. 

I will be leaving sometime to go and live in England but I will still keep in touch with this most wonderful forum and will be part of SFG for the rest of my life. While I am here I will do my best to keep the Canadian Forum up to date.

By the way, I have two pieces of planting equipment to give away; they are seed blocks. One large and one small,  Let me know; just the cost of mailing.

Last edited by Kelejan on 8/11/2020, 9:28 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling as usual.)
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 8/11/2020, 9:59 pm

Thanks for updating us KJ and thank you for your contribution to the forum. I hope the Covid pandemic does not delay your plans for too long. So exciting for you to be making such a big move to the UK. I was hoping to visit my UK family (found two years ago) but the pandemic plus my health situation messed up those plans.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 8/12/2020, 1:58 am

Yes, TD, we both had connections to family two years ago.  This Covid has delayed my departure but the crux of the matter is getting the property found and bought and signed added to the time it is taking to downsize. I am finding that as I get older I cannot do so much in one day.  I start good in the morning then gradually taper off until I fall asleep in this very hot weather we are having.

Once the family property is secured and brought up to scratch then everything will be fine.  But I really must be ready to move as soon as that happens. 

If my family were in Canada then I would be delighted, but it is a choice between location and family, and I need to be with family as there is no one this side of the Pond.  

In my garden I am growing a nice crop of potatoes and beans around the compost heap.  All self-sown and I am looking forward to new potatoes very shortly. the self sown runner beans around the compost are always better than the ones I grew in the beds.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/12/2020, 3:48 am

KJ, Thank you for updating us on your situation. I love you

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21487

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 8/12/2020, 7:19 am

A little over 4:00am here in British Columbia in the Southern Interior and alrady it is 20c but surprisingly it is only set to rise to 27c this afternoon.  almost comfortable.

This is when I notice the daylights hours getting fewer as it is completely dark . Sad
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 8/23/2020, 6:38 pm

My garden this year is at a standstill, but I am now gathering the apples, especially the windfalls to discourage the bears that are now around our area.

It has been far too hot for my liking but this week the temperatures are getting lower and I will be active again.

Under another thread about feeding worms I have said I am waiting for my allocation of two bags of city compost that normally we collect ourselves. this year they are being delivered providing a square of cloth, canvas, plastic etc. is laid out in front so that the compost can be placed there. In our subdivison, they have been in place for several days and I am sure the all the grass verges, which belong to the city, are going to have patches of dead grass there.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  lvanderb 8/23/2020, 8:30 pm

It's hot here too - thankfully no bears though, just squirrels, mice, rabbits etc... but you have those too, right?
I'm getting lots of windfall apples too - I'm thinking it's still a bit early for the apples, but I do have a multi variety apple tree - just to make things confusing, however I am pretty sure I have NO granny smith apples this year, I did have them once, just the granny smiths that year tho', lol.
Just picked what I'm pretty sure is the last peach today - I got most of them yesterday after a number of days of picking them off the ground - they are much softer than apples! I learned that you do NOT twist of peaches, you gently rock them off...after 40 or 50 peaches, that is pretty obvious!

I took all the diseased leaves off my cucumbers - leaving them very naked looking, but not yet dead...sigh..I hate to kill any plant. My green beans are looking more diseased but still producing beans every other day.

Funny story - I covered my kale with tulle to protect from the horrid white cabbage moth. Well, that worked, but I wondered why my kale was not growing - checked the leaves and they were covered with, I think, aphids - little white looking eggs?

Good thing I planted 4 sweet million cherry tomato plants and only killed one of them - they are producing very well and I am having to give them away. For regular tomatoes, the ones I broke down and bought from WalMart - Early girl and Better Boy - are ripening first, the heritage tomatoes are doing fairly poorly, just not a great year for them, oh well, there's always next year!

Linda
ps started 4 Tiny Tims in June and planted 2 in my raised bed that had no tomatoes - oh my gosh, so cute and very short, like 6" and each has like 5 or so cherry tomatoes growing on them
lvanderb
lvanderb

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down