Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
wild strawberries Toplef10wild strawberries 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

wild strawberries I22gcj10wild strawberries 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
wild strawberries Toplef10wild strawberries 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

wild strawberries I22gcj10wild strawberries 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Today at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Today at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Today at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Today at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

» Horsey poop
by MrBooker 2/29/2024, 10:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

wild strawberries

+8
pattipan
bullfrogbabe
Megan
miinva
Jola
Dunkinjean
Ha-v-v
nancy
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

wild strawberries Empty wild strawberries

Post  nancy 5/11/2010, 2:24 pm

Once upon a time someone (or something) planted wild strawberries as groundcover at my house. It spreads like wildfire! Fortunately it is easy to pull. I have left some of it as is and it now has tiny strawberries on it. I have never eaten one (I don't know why). Should I look at this as a gift and pick and eat them? Surely they aren't poisonous. The flowers are tiny little yellow ones instead of the bigger white ones I see in photos here and in other gardener's gardens. What would you do? Thanks!
nancy
nancy

Female Posts : 595

Back to top Go down

wild strawberries Empty Re: wild strawberries

Post  Ha-v-v 5/11/2010, 2:37 pm

We have wild strawberries and we found a patch today, one of my guys picked it tasted it, quite sour Smile Yuck mom Smile too bad too because there is a lot. I was reading some where about the color of the blossoms and cant remember at the moment. I googled transplanting wild strawberries. http://garden.lovetoknow.com/wiki/Wild_Strawberries
I wanted to see if I could utilize the wild ones and bring them into the SFG Smile I did decide not to.

Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Female Posts : 1123
Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

Back to top Go down

wild strawberries Empty wild strawberries

Post  Dunkinjean 5/18/2010, 9:33 pm

I remember many years ago growing up in our town, at the end of our street there was a field of wild strawberries. There were just our house and 2 other houses on the block!
We would walk down to the strawberry field, pick the strawberries, bring them home, put them into bowls, then add milk and sugar. - Yummy!
Dunkinjean
Dunkinjean

Female Posts : 694

http://2jean@excite.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jola 5/19/2010, 9:09 am

Ha-v-v, if your wild strawberries were sour then they must had been not ripe. I also have heard that some of wild growing wild strawberries are not particularly tasty.
Wild strawberries, or alpine strawberries, are one of my favorite fruits. They are much better, in my opinion, then traditional strawberries. To experience their full flavor they must grow in sunny position and be ripe. I have been growing red fruit variety, and this year I will grow yellow and white fruit variety.
Nancy, I've never seen yellow flowers on alpine (wild) strawberries! What color is fruit?
Jola
Jola

Female Posts : 107

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 5/19/2010, 9:23 am

Well as for "ripe" wild strawberries I would think the bright red color was the key:) or a deeper red, we wait till they are real red and they are still sour. Just the other day again we tried. Same sour face happens. And I did read the same that some wild strawberries arent tastey. I did some reading and chose not to try and transplant them.
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Location : Southwest Ms. Zone 8A (I like to think I get a little bit of Zone 9 too )

Back to top Go down

Post  Jola 5/19/2010, 9:48 am

If you want good alpine strawberries buy seeds from any seed company which carries them. They grow very easily from seeds. I would never transplant wild wild strawberries to my garden. They are nice in wild, but for a garden you need garden varieties.
Jola
Jola

Back to top Go down

Post  Ha-v-v 5/19/2010, 10:58 am

Oh yes Smile Next year I will get strawberry seeds. But Im forever trying to be frugal and I love experimenting. I like taking cuttings from native plants if I can and other things to see if they will grow and that led to me to research wild strawberries, and I quickly found that wasnt what I wanted to do, and shared that in my earlier post. Next year the garden will be bigger and I can think about strawberries from our place. Maybe this can be the last year I buy strawberries to make jam. That would be nice. I dont mind buying them here though, there is a local fellow we get them from, he brings them up from Louisiana and at 12 dollars a flat this year, I bought 4. It keeps me in the community and is nice when I can go to the little market.

I will definitely try the Alpine strawberries, Ive not tried any strawberries and excited to try. We have good sun for them too. I look forward to fall and the spring planning already Smile Im planning next spring now really in my head.
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v
Ha-v-v

Back to top Go down

Post  nancy 5/19/2010, 11:10 am

The friut on my wild ground-cover strawberries is small and red. Almost raspberry size. And they are everywhere! They spread like wildfire! Fortunately they are easy to pull out.

I bought some "real" strawberry plants over the weekend - some junebearing and some everbearing. Their box has not yet been assembled, but I am so excited to get them in the ground! I never thought I'd grow them because the wild ones make me so crazy! But, I'm going to give it a try.
nancy
nancy

Back to top Go down

Post  miinva 5/19/2010, 11:33 am

I can't imagine pulling them out, I think they're pretty Smile I'm not big on manicured lawns though, I see them as vast ecological wastelands and prefer mine to have a more 'meadow' look to it, other than keeping a band of mowed grass around our house to keep the spiders and snakes at bay. I read an article about cities out west that went from mandating manicured lawns to encouraging more natural landscapes because of a drought and I thought that was a great solution, since natural landscaping doesn't require the constant watering or application of chemicals. I'm sure the pollinators appreciated it!
miinva

Female Posts : 780

http://www.ungardener.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  nancy 5/19/2010, 2:28 pm

I feel the same way about manicured lawns. I'm pulling the strawberries that are trying hard to invade my flower beds. They keep trying to grow where I have put something else. Grr... If they grow in the yard, the landlord cuts them down when he mows. At least they are native to Ohio.
nancy
nancy

Back to top Go down

Post  miinva 5/19/2010, 4:08 pm

I know what you mean about flowerbeds, my flowers are my babies and I can be pretty picky about flowerbeds! I'm not quite as militant about the gardens, but mel's mix makes weeding so easy that the beds don't require much management.

Speaking of native, I drove to North Carolina last weekend and it was sad to see the places where the kudzu is taking everything over Sad I was at the co-op and I saw a scottish broom, which has gorgeous flowers, but when I got home and googled them I discovered that they're considered a noxious weed in Canada because they seed prolifically, so I decided not to buy one.
miinva

Female Posts : 780

http://www.ungardener.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jola 5/19/2010, 5:35 pm

Nancy, you say "real" strawberries, but wild or alpine strawberries are different plants from "real" strawberries. They do not produce runners, they can take some shade and they taste completely different from "real"
strawberries. I think that the names for them in English are very confusing.
In Poland, where I'm from, we have completely different names for them. We call wild or alpine strawberries "poziomki" and cultivated, or "real" strawberries "truskawki". Even without knowing Polish you can see the difference.
If you want to try something different, try real alpine strawberries which are not strawberries - complicated, isn't it?!
Jola
Jola

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 5/19/2010, 6:52 pm

miinva wrote:I was at the co-op and I saw a scottish broom, which has gorgeous flowers, but when I got home and googled them I discovered that they're considered a noxious weed in Canada because they seed prolifically, so I decided not to buy one.

Scottish Broom is a weed, but Sweet Broom isn't. I have started Sweet Broom a couple of times from Home Depot plants. They are really pretty. Unfortunately they must not have been in a good spot, because the first two lasted only two years, and the ones I planted last year didn't make it through the winter. Still trying to decide what to put there!

And, to (more or less) stay on topic Smile the strawberries I am growing from seed this year are a yellow wild strawberry. The seedlings are SO tiny! Shocked
Megan
Megan

Female Posts : 3350

http://novasquarefootgardener.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Jola 5/19/2010, 9:09 pm

Yes! They are tiny. Every time I want to see them I have to put glasses on What a Face
Jola
Jola

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 5/19/2010, 9:16 pm

I need to thin / re-distribute them, but they are so small at this point that I am afraid even with tweezers or a toothpick I would crush them all. So I guess I get to wait!
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  bullfrogbabe 5/19/2010, 9:25 pm

When I was a kid I loved to pick and eat wild strawberries when I lived in southern Ontario. They were really tiny, with the largest ones being the size of sweet green peas and the smaller ones baby peas or even smaller. The plants weren't very big and they had white flowers with yellow centers. The deeper red the berry, the sweeter they were.

They taste better than any cultivated strawberries I have ever had but it does take alot of time picking them to even fill a small bowl. I still stop to eat them when I see them even now. They aren't as common here in Petawawa as this is wild blueberry country but I do get a taste every once in a while.

Wild or Common Strawberry (Fragaria virginiana)
wild strawberries Strawberrycarpet

wild strawberries Strawberrypl

wild strawberries Strawberryfruit
bullfrogbabe
bullfrogbabe

Female Posts : 189

Back to top Go down

Post  Megan 5/19/2010, 9:28 pm

There was not a species name listed for the seed I bought. I will post pictures if I ever get fruit! (And I hope I do, because I have a bet on with martha! Smile )
Megan
Megan

Back to top Go down

Post  nancy 5/20/2010, 9:31 am

bullfrog - I'm going to try one of the wild ones in my yard when I get home tonite. I keep hearing how bitter they are, but you've convinced me perhaps not. I also have a couple of places where I should be able to get some pics. I'll keep you all posted!

wild strawberries Icon_flower
nancy
nancy

Back to top Go down

Post  bullfrogbabe 5/20/2010, 7:07 pm

There a few different species, perhaps the wild species you have are different than the ones here?
bullfrogbabe
bullfrogbabe

Back to top Go down

Post  nancy 5/20/2010, 8:43 pm

Well, I tried one - it had no taste! It just felt like a mouthfull of seeds. Hmmm... They're very small - the size of raspebrries. And they are everywhere!

Here they are:

wild strawberries 20100522

wild strawberries 20100523
nancy
nancy

Back to top Go down

Post  bullfrogbabe 5/20/2010, 9:24 pm

They look like a different kind than the ones that grow here in Ontario. Your berries have seeds that stick out off the surface instead of being in dimples and the leaves are a slightly different shape.
bullfrogbabe
bullfrogbabe

Back to top Go down

Post  Jola 5/20/2010, 10:59 pm

Bullfrogbabe, your wild strawberries Fragaria virginiana are the best wild strawberries, and were used to hybridize, I think, some European strawberries to get very good cultivated variety of "real" strawberries.
Nancy, you are just unlucky with your wild strawberry variety. If you're really determined to try wild strawberries, and they taste completely different from cultivated ones - try growing them from seeds. They are easy to grow.
Jola
Jola

Back to top Go down

Post  pattipan 5/20/2010, 11:21 pm

nancy wrote:Well, I tried one - it had no taste! It just felt like a mouthfull of seeds. Hmmm... They're very small - the size of raspebrries. And they are everywhere!

Nancy,
The yellow flower brings to mind what we used to call Indian Strawberries. Also called Barren Strawberry, False Strawberry or Mock Strawberry. Do a Google image search for "Potentilla indica" and see if that's your berry. They are not poisonous, just tasteless.

Patti
pattipan
pattipan

Female Posts : 808

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/gallery/personal160.htm

Back to top Go down

Post  littlesapphire 6/1/2010, 11:19 am

I don't know about wild strawberries that grow elsewhere, but the ones you find here in New York and Pennsylvania are so sweet and wonderful, they taste like candy. We have a huge patch of them in our back yard that I'm keeping weed free in hopes of having a huge crop of the tiny bites of heaven.
littlesapphire
littlesapphire

Female Posts : 826

http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

Post  cansaskgard 6/9/2010, 8:52 am

Bullfrogbabe - I have to laugh... we just moved in to our new house in Feb this year and have now discovered that most of the whole north end of my front yard (corner lot) is the wild strawberry with dandelions as only the minor issue. wild strawberries Icon_lol

We will see how things go with them but they are always getting mowed over when we cut our grass...
cansaskgard
cansaskgard

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next