Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Edamame? Toplef10Edamame? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Edamame? I22gcj10Edamame? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Edamame? Toplef10Edamame? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Edamame? I22gcj10Edamame? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Hurricane
by sanderson Today at 5:42 pm

» Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas
by sanderson 9/12/2024, 2:09 am

» Old Mulch and Closing Beds for Winter
by Scorpio Rising 9/11/2024, 8:23 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 9/11/2024, 8:20 pm

» N & C Midwest: September 2024
by OhioGardener 9/10/2024, 5:47 pm

» Pest Damage
by WBIowa 9/8/2024, 2:48 pm

» cabbage moth?
by jemm 9/8/2024, 9:15 am

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 9/5/2024, 6:37 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 9/5/2024, 2:01 pm

» adding compost yearly
by sanderson 9/5/2024, 2:16 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 9/2/2024, 3:10 pm

» N & C Midwest: August 2024
by OhioGardener 8/31/2024, 8:13 pm

» Article - Create a Seed Library to Share the Extras
by OhioGardener 8/26/2024, 4:09 pm

» Best Tasting Parthenocarpic Cucumber?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 7:07 pm

» Winter Squash Arch
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 8:02 am

» Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries
by OhioGardener 8/19/2024, 10:09 am

» Looking for a local source for transplants.... Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:26 am

» Hi, y'all. I'm new to everything in Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:21 am

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 8/14/2024, 5:47 pm

» Hi from N. Georgia
by AtlantaMarie 8/13/2024, 8:57 am

» Hello from Atlanta, Georgia
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:09 am

» growing tomatoes from seed outside
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:05 am

» 15-Minute Garlic Sautéed Eggplant
by Scorpio Rising 8/12/2024, 7:25 pm

» Downsizing Gardens for the Autumn of our lives
by Hollysmac 8/6/2024, 10:37 pm

» Golden Beets
by Scorpio Rising 8/6/2024, 7:03 pm

» Hi all!
by sanderson 8/6/2024, 12:56 am

» DIY Tomato Trellis for Birdie's Tall Raised beds
by sanderson 8/6/2024, 12:48 am

» Got zucchini? Toot your own horn!
by OhioGardener 8/5/2024, 9:17 am

» Compost not hot
by Aintyergrandpaschickenpoo 8/5/2024, 8:29 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by nrstooge 8/1/2024, 6:57 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Edamame?

5 posters

Go down

Edamame? Empty Edamame?

Post  Bart 6/3/2016, 7:07 pm

Howdy Folks,

Has anyone had any luck with Edamame [Soy Bean]?

Bart
Bart
Bart

Back to top Go down

Edamame? Empty Re: Edamame?

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 6/3/2016, 7:24 pm

I grew edamame last year - I started late, and they got shaded by the zucchini (that I guess I thought I could just keep to 4 squares using the power of my mind...) but still got some to eat, and they were very good. 

My first round for this year is out in the garden and has germinated. I'll start another pair of squares at some point in the future. This time they have more sun, I've started sooner, and I added the right inoculum.
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1433

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/3/2016, 7:45 pm

Bart, There are 7 other threads on edamame. Hopefully you can find some nugget of information that will help you. I know folks do grow it and like it.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21605

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 6/3/2016, 9:31 pm

I looked back at my notes but did not record how many I planted per square.  But if I were planting them again I would probably go with 1 per square with maybe one in the middle of 4 squares.  That would be 5 per 4 square feet.  But I do not plant as intensely as Mel suggests.  Here is a picture of one I cut down to harvest the Edamame.  It is only a picture of part of the plant after most of the leaves and side branches had been removed.
Edamame? Edamam10
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4139

Back to top Go down

Post  Windmere 6/5/2016, 9:51 am

yolos wrote:I looked back at my notes but did not record how many I planted per square.  But if I were planting them again I would probably go with 1 per square with maybe one in the middle of 4 squares.  That would be 5 per 4 square feet.  But I do not plant as intensely as Mel suggests.  Here is a picture of one I cut down to harvest the Edamame.  It is only a picture of part of the plant after most of the leaves and side branches had been removed.
Edamame? Edamam10

Thanks for this information yolos.  I did not plant any edamame before we went on vacation because I was worried about watering.  I intend to get some seeds in the ground soon.  This was very helpful.  Smile
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1422

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 6/5/2016, 11:48 am

Windmere wrote:
yolos wrote:I looked back at my notes but did not record how many I planted per square.  But if I were planting them again I would probably go with 1 per square with maybe one in the middle of 4 squares.  That would be 5 per 4 square feet.  But I do not plant as intensely as Mel suggests.  Here is a picture of one I cut down to harvest the Edamame.  It is only a picture of part of the plant after most of the leaves and side branches had been removed.
Edamame? Edamam10

Thanks for this information yolos.  I did not plant any edamame before we went on vacation because I was worried about watering.  I intend to get some seeds in the ground soon.  This was very helpful.  Smile
I do not plant as intensely as I should.  Read this article and see if you want to plant more per square.  I read a couple other articles and they all said to plant way more than I planted.  I think when I plant mine I will start out with 2 or 4 per square.  I hate bending over and searching thru all the leaves to see what is going on down below.  My packet of Butterbean Edamame says to thin to one every 4 inches.  Translated to SFG, this means nine per square.  Way too many for me but maybe I should experiment with a few more per square than I thought.  4 maybe and then thin if they start getting tangled.
http://www.motherearthnews.com/organic-gardening/growing-and-harvesting-edamame-zmaz02jjzgoe.aspx?PageId=1
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  Windmere 6/5/2016, 4:43 pm

Thanks for that link yolos.  I learned something new... bacterial seed inoculants?  That term led me to a few university extension office sites.  Did you use any bacterial seed inoculants?

I was very encouraged to read the positive comments regarding "Sayamusume" because that's what I have.

I think I might go four per square then.  Or, I might compromise and do three.

I have a very, very large circular tomato cage that opens up... I think I'll use that to trellis them.  I'm pretty excited about this because we can eat edamame like popcorn (as in a lot at one time).  Thanks again!
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1422

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 6/5/2016, 10:25 pm

Windmere wrote:Thanks for that link yolos.  I learned something new... bacterial seed inoculants?  That term led me to a few university extension office sites.  Did you use any bacterial seed inoculants?

I have a very, very large circular tomato cage that opens up... I think I'll use that to trellis them.  I'm pretty excited about this because we can eat edamame like popcorn (as in a lot at one time).  Thanks again!
No, this is my first year using inoculates and I only used it for the pole beans, dragon tongue beans, and lima beans.  There are various kinds of inoculant that you use for different kinds of peas/beans.  I am not sure if the inoculant I have will be good for the Edamame.   I have not planted my Edamame this year.  Waiting on the dang Daikon Radish seeds to mature.

In the past, when I planted my Edamame, I planted it in a 2 x 2 and put up a small landscape fence around the outside to corral the plants.  Worked okay.
yolos
yolos

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down