Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
The SFG Journey:Vermicompost Garden Bucket(VGB): How fast do worms eat in a VGB experiment  Toplef10The SFG Journey:Vermicompost Garden Bucket(VGB): How fast do worms eat in a VGB experiment  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

The SFG Journey:Vermicompost Garden Bucket(VGB): How fast do worms eat in a VGB experiment  I22gcj10The SFG Journey:Vermicompost Garden Bucket(VGB): How fast do worms eat in a VGB experiment  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
The SFG Journey:Vermicompost Garden Bucket(VGB): How fast do worms eat in a VGB experiment  Toplef10The SFG Journey:Vermicompost Garden Bucket(VGB): How fast do worms eat in a VGB experiment  1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

The SFG Journey:Vermicompost Garden Bucket(VGB): How fast do worms eat in a VGB experiment  I22gcj10The SFG Journey:Vermicompost Garden Bucket(VGB): How fast do worms eat in a VGB experiment  14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:15 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by cyclonegardener Yesterday at 8:56 am

» Zucchini Cobbler
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:38 pm

» Vertical Zucchini
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:34 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 7/23/2024, 8:25 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by Scorpio Rising 7/22/2024, 1:33 pm

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 7/20/2024, 11:02 am

» Cover Crops to Kill Nematodes
by dstack 7/18/2024, 5:43 pm

» Hi from Lapeer Michigan
by Scorpio Rising 7/18/2024, 10:49 am

» Mel's Mix
by OhioGardener 7/16/2024, 1:40 pm

» Baker Creek Heirloom Whole Seed Catalog Pre-Order
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 4:00 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 1:01 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 7/9/2024, 2:23 pm

» Wasabi Radish
by markqz 7/8/2024, 10:14 pm

» Check out your local (seed) library !
by OhioGardener 7/8/2024, 11:45 am

» YIKES! I'm hosting uninvited guests in my squash...
by tappingmom 7/3/2024, 9:43 am

» Baked Eggplant
by OhioGardener 7/2/2024, 7:45 am

» N&C Midwest—June 2024
by nrstooge 7/1/2024, 7:48 am

» Epic Gardening "Master Class on Square Food Gardening"
by sanderson 6/26/2024, 10:03 pm

» Growing Tomatoes in 6" of soil?
by sanderson 6/25/2024, 4:21 pm

» Frequency/amount to water
by OhioGardener 6/22/2024, 5:34 pm

» Rhubarb Tom Collins
by DonP 6/19/2024, 2:10 pm

» Change email address
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 2:00 am

» Howdy from San Diego, CA
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 12:49 am

» Getting Started
by Turan 6/18/2024, 12:58 pm

» Turan's Garden Western Mountains and Plains
by Scorpio Rising 6/18/2024, 11:49 am

» Question about replenishing squares after harvest
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 6/17/2024, 12:14 am

» My NWA garden
by Guinevere 6/13/2024, 11:13 am

» creating grids
by plantoid 6/13/2024, 6:42 am

» SFG jOURNEY-What's Hiding in your organic fertilizer
by has55 6/13/2024, 12:40 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

The SFG Journey:Vermicompost Garden Bucket(VGB): How fast do worms eat in a VGB experiment

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The SFG Journey:Vermicompost Garden Bucket(VGB): How fast do worms eat in a VGB experiment  Empty The SFG Journey:Vermicompost Garden Bucket(VGB): How fast do worms eat in a VGB experiment

Post  has55 4/28/2016, 4:28 pm

has55
has55

Back to top Go down

The SFG Journey:Vermicompost Garden Bucket(VGB): How fast do worms eat in a VGB experiment  Empty Re: The SFG Journey:Vermicompost Garden Bucket(VGB): How fast do worms eat in a VGB experiment

Post  yolos 4/28/2016, 5:36 pm

I will be interested to see the results.  Does the top of the bucket come with that bucket or did you just have the right size bucket to match the top.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

The SFG Journey:Vermicompost Garden Bucket(VGB): How fast do worms eat in a VGB experiment  Empty Re: The SFG Journey:Vermicompost Garden Bucket(VGB): How fast do worms eat in a VGB experiment

Post  has55 4/28/2016, 10:37 pm

yolos wrote:I will be interested to see the results.  Does the top of the bucket come with that bucket or did you just have the right size bucket to match the top.
The bucket is a lowes 2.5 gal paint bucket. It's in the paint dept. The handle makes it easy to pull out. I think it galvanized to resist rusting.

United Solutions Lowe's 2-Gallon Residential Paint Bucket   
The SFG Journey:Vermicompost Garden Bucket(VGB): How fast do worms eat in a VGB experiment  Lowes_10

The top is a 10" valve cover top in the irrigation, sprinkler dept. the regular paint top cover is to hard to remove. So I chose to use a valve cover top. Easy on, easy off. I couldn't find it on the website, but it's there. This is the nearest item that describes what I talking about without confusing you.

NDS 6-in W x 1-in H Round Irrigation Valve Box
The SFG Journey:Vermicompost Garden Bucket(VGB): How fast do worms eat in a VGB experiment  622_va11
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 7/5/2016, 10:57 am

has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 3/1/2017, 11:40 am

I put into the carrot and homemade sunflower milk pulp into the vermicomposting buckets in the mid part of January. I filled them to the top because I had too much pulp and haven't set up my compost bins yet. this a great reduction.
The SFG Journey:Vermicompost Garden Bucket(VGB): How fast do worms eat in a VGB experiment  Vermic10
has55
has55

Soose likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/2/2017, 2:45 am

That is a big reduction.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21616

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

The SFG Journey:Vermicompost Garden Bucket(VGB): How fast do worms eat in a VGB experiment  Empty why I love vermicomposting buckets

Post  has55 7/2/2017, 11:09 am

has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/3/2017, 7:43 pm

The buckets are really working for you!

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 7/3/2017, 8:01 pm

I still need to do the actual consumption experiment, so don't get upset at me. I will get around to it.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 3/28/2018, 9:20 am

since I'm exploring raising my vermicomposting to a standing level I came across the idea. has anyone used the Hungry bin from the US supplier.?

hungry bin

has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 3/28/2018, 10:08 am

this looks easy to build for someone like me who isn't a carpenter. I think I might have to figure out how to make a compression zone to make the worms stay up in the top.  
The idea would be for me to place it on cinder blocks that are stacked approx 2-3 feet tall on each corner. 
Any ideas from the gardener engineers? 

has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 3/28/2018, 11:00 am

I like this system, but I think it has to be indoors.  It has that compression zone feature. 109.00 good price.

has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 3/28/2018, 11:33 am

another player on the block. I might build a hanger plus a small roof covering. Don't know how but I can learn.

has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 3/30/2018, 7:26 am

I remember watching a vid where this guy just used an old plastic kitchen garbage can & some 2x4's to make a flow-through box. That's what I'm thinking about building - nice & compact. Don't have room in the house for this nice stuff!

And has anyone looked at soldier fly larvae composting? Had a student in a few days ago who switched from vermicompost to soldier fly. Likes it much better...
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5603

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 3/30/2018, 9:58 am

AtlantaMarie wrote:I remember watching a vid where this guy just used an old plastic kitchen garbage can & some 2x4's to make a flow-through box.  That's what I'm thinking about building - nice & compact.  Don't have room in the house for this nice stuff!

And has anyone looked at soldier fly larvae composting?  Had a student in a few days ago who switched from vermicompost to soldier fly.  Likes it much better...
This is the video I have had my eye on.  Looks interesting.  He followed up with subsequent videos so make sure you look at all his video's on this bin to see if he made any modifications later.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2smEluKUaJw
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 3/30/2018, 2:37 pm

yolos wrote:
AtlantaMarie wrote:I remember watching a vid where this guy just used an old plastic kitchen garbage can & some 2x4's to make a flow-through box.  That's what I'm thinking about building - nice & compact.  Don't have room in the house for this nice stuff!

And has anyone looked at soldier fly larvae composting?  Had a student in a few days ago who switched from vermicompost to soldier fly.  Likes it much better...
This is the video I have had my eye on.  Looks interesting.  He followed up with subsequent videos so make sure you look at all his video's on this bin to see if he made any modifications later.
I looked at his creation first which led me to the hungry worm bin since I want to use it outdoors. I like it.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 3/30/2018, 2:40 pm

here you are-
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 3/30/2018, 2:46 pm

OYR built a converted a compost bin into a worm bin, but it's not a flow thru design., but he makes good use of the worm content. I want to build a flow thru that's elevated off the ground, withstand the extreme weather and easy access for flow thru. I'm getting close to an idea. 
anyone successful with this concept.

has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 3/30/2018, 3:48 pm

The one I saw was a different one, Has55. It was a 13-gallon garbage can....

Found it!

AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/31/2018, 4:23 pm

I watched all three videos. Pretty nifty. I wonder if a hair pick would also work.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 4/2/2018, 6:42 am

sanderson wrote:I watched all three videos.  Pretty nifty.  I wonder if a hair pick would also work.  

do you have a picture of the type of hair pick?
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/4/2018, 2:40 am

Called Afrp Pick or Hair Lift Pick. I used one when I had long permed hair.

$1.95 https://www.houseofbeautyworld.com/mehapikhp1.html?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Bing%20Merchant%20Center(BSC)&utm_term=1100203251168&utm_content=All

$1.95 https://www.houseofbeautyworld.com/memelil2.html?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Bing%20Merchant%20Center(BSC)&utm_term=1100203251168&utm_content=All

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  has55 4/9/2018, 2:36 am

sanderson wrote:Called Afrp Pick or Hair Lift Pick.  I used one when I had long permed hair.

$1.95   https://www.houseofbeautyworld.com/mehapikhp1.html?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Bing%20Merchant%20Center(BSC)&utm_term=1100203251168&utm_content=All

$1.95   https://www.houseofbeautyworld.com/memelil2.html?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Bing%20Merchant%20Center(BSC)&utm_term=1100203251168&utm_content=All

I believe it would work. I think they still make the metals ones.
has55
has55

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 4/9/2018, 8:24 am

You can get plastic ones at wally-world. I use them for some of my paper crafts.
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/9/2018, 4:27 pm

I still have a couple of plastic ones that I use when conditioning my hair.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next