Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Gardening in Central Pennsylvania - Page 5 Toplef10Gardening in Central Pennsylvania - Page 5 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Gardening in Central Pennsylvania - Page 5 I22gcj10Gardening in Central Pennsylvania - Page 5 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Gardening in Central Pennsylvania - Page 5 Toplef10Gardening in Central Pennsylvania - Page 5 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Gardening in Central Pennsylvania - Page 5 I22gcj10Gardening in Central Pennsylvania - Page 5 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:15 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by cyclonegardener Yesterday at 8:56 am

» Zucchini Cobbler
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:38 pm

» Vertical Zucchini
by sanderson 7/25/2024, 11:34 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 7/23/2024, 8:25 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by Scorpio Rising 7/22/2024, 1:33 pm

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 7/20/2024, 11:02 am

» Cover Crops to Kill Nematodes
by dstack 7/18/2024, 5:43 pm

» Hi from Lapeer Michigan
by Scorpio Rising 7/18/2024, 10:49 am

» Mel's Mix
by OhioGardener 7/16/2024, 1:40 pm

» Baker Creek Heirloom Whole Seed Catalog Pre-Order
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 4:00 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 7/11/2024, 1:01 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 7/9/2024, 2:23 pm

» Wasabi Radish
by markqz 7/8/2024, 10:14 pm

» Check out your local (seed) library !
by OhioGardener 7/8/2024, 11:45 am

» YIKES! I'm hosting uninvited guests in my squash...
by tappingmom 7/3/2024, 9:43 am

» Baked Eggplant
by OhioGardener 7/2/2024, 7:45 am

» N&C Midwest—June 2024
by nrstooge 7/1/2024, 7:48 am

» Epic Gardening "Master Class on Square Food Gardening"
by sanderson 6/26/2024, 10:03 pm

» Growing Tomatoes in 6" of soil?
by sanderson 6/25/2024, 4:21 pm

» Frequency/amount to water
by OhioGardener 6/22/2024, 5:34 pm

» Rhubarb Tom Collins
by DonP 6/19/2024, 2:10 pm

» Change email address
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 2:00 am

» Howdy from San Diego, CA
by sanderson 6/19/2024, 12:49 am

» Getting Started
by Turan 6/18/2024, 12:58 pm

» Turan's Garden Western Mountains and Plains
by Scorpio Rising 6/18/2024, 11:49 am

» Question about replenishing squares after harvest
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 6/17/2024, 12:14 am

» My NWA garden
by Guinevere 6/13/2024, 11:13 am

» creating grids
by plantoid 6/13/2024, 6:42 am

» SFG jOURNEY-What's Hiding in your organic fertilizer
by has55 6/13/2024, 12:40 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Gardening in Central Pennsylvania

+13
countrynaturals
herblover
jimmy cee
bigdogrock
sfg4uKim
wyldhawk9
floyd1440
yolos
Kelejan
Scorpio Rising
AtlantaMarie
CapeCoddess
BeetlesPerSqFt
17 posters

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Go down

Gardening in Central Pennsylvania - Page 5 Empty Re: Gardening in Central Pennsylvania

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 12/10/2016, 6:40 pm

AtlantaMarie wrote:
BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:
Scorpio Rising wrote:I need to figure out the covering issue....for extended season and protection from  the white butterflies!
 Before you build cold frames, read this!:
   http://www.motherofahubbard.com/10-reasons-low-tunnels-are-better-than-cold-frames/

Very interesting article!  And I've got everything except the Agribon.  Just haven't installed it yet...  

I had also looked at cold frames, but just haven't been thrilled with them.  So this definitely helped set my mind.
Agribon30 is just one of the options. Deerfield Supplies sells Gro-Guard. GG34 is equivalent to AG30. Specs are here, but I don't see online ordering:  http://www.gintec-shade.com/grow_guard.html
(My understanding is that Deerfield supplies also does not have online ordering, one requests a catalog.)
I also found Gardenquilt, which I think is also equivalent or a little thicker=a little less light transmittance:
http://www.gardeners.com/how-to/row-covers/5111.html
I don't know the price comparison between them, or what other important factors vary - but it's probably worth trying to look into.
---
Perhaps foolishly, I dragged my sick(cold?/flu?) self out to the garden for a short time during the "heat of the day." The fresh air and brief sunlight was nice, but I'm beat.

I finished covering the wire cages, plus I put a clear plastic tub over a young broccoli and a fridge drawer over the sad-looking curly parsley. On Thursday I moved the surviving potted plants (mint, lemon balm, mache) off the deck and under the wagon-hoop houses. The top (at least) of the MM is frozen but the already covered plants look pretty good. However, I hate having them scattered all over the garden. Must plan better!

I put open-ended cardboard boxes over the leeks and filled them with leaves. The other day I learned that there are two different kinds of leeks: winter leeks and summer/fall leeks. My American Flag leeks are winter leeks. They grow more slowly but are more-cold hardy. The King Richard leeks I have seeds for are the summer/fall kind. They will grow faster, but I won't want to try to overwinter them.

The uncovered collards are ok so far and they might have to cope; I'm out of stuff to cover with. There is already a difference between the uncovered cold-hardiness of the two kale varieties I planted this year: Siberian and White Russian, but I don't know which is which, the labels are long gone. I can also tell that they aren't doing as well as the Winterbor kale I had last year. 

I put some homemade hay (long grass clipped before it went to seed, and dried well) over my walking onions. The tops look pretty bad, but they are apparently quite hardy: http://www.egyptianwalkingonion.com

Someone (I presume it was the landlord based on timing) ran over end of my strawberry bed. The plants were unharmed but the box is ruined, part of the wood is even missing. Gardening in Central Pennsylvania - Page 5 671790 So I couldn't really slip a cardboard box along the inner edges to hold straw in. I put some of the fluffy homemade hay over them, topped it with doubled-over Agribon15 and weighed it down with some short wire fence pieces. Hopefully it will help them, and won't turn into a cozy vole bed&breakfast.

The predicted 17*F didn't happen - I think it only got down to 24*F. Tonight might be 21*F, which is I think the coldest so far here.  The prediction for Thursday has been ranging from 4-7*F.
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Gardening in Central Pennsylvania - Page 5 Empty Re: Gardening in Central Pennsylvania

Post  Scorpio Rising 12/10/2016, 8:24 pm

K, so on the low hoops, plastic and Agribon?  Both?  Or just that one product GG.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8801

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 12/10/2016, 8:47 pm

I looked at some pricing on the Agribon. BOY, these companies are proud of that stuff!!! Any suggestions on where to find it cheaper? I have not looked at anything else yet...
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5603

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 12/10/2016, 9:03 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:K, so on the low hoops, plastic and Agribon?  Both?  Or just that one product GG.
I'm still trying to figure this all out, but I think it's like this:
One layer of 'fabric' (AG30 or GG34 or gardenquilt) until it gets down to ... one notation said "15*F" and a different one said "the teens."
  Then add a second layer, either of fabric, or plastic.
But, once it gets back up to 40*F the plastic has to come off or you cook the plants. And just leaving two layers on fabric the whole cold season is undesirable due to the amount of light blocking.
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 12/10/2016, 10:05 pm

AtlantaMarie wrote:I looked at some pricing on the Agribon.  BOY, these companies are proud of that stuff!!!  Any suggestions on where to find it cheaper?  I have not looked at anything else yet...
Yeah, it's a little pricey. You can see why I'm using free zebra grass stems even though PVC isn't that expensive. Scrimp here, spend there.

I bought the shortest piece I could find at Johnny's: http://www.johnnyseeds.com/tools-supplies/row-covers-and-accessories/row-cover/agribon%2B-ag-30-row-cover---83%22-x-50-7365.html
Since it's not particularly wide, it's definitely more suited for low tunnels than hoop houses made from 10ft PVC.
A 10ft long piece of the 83" wide AG30 went almost 6ft on my 3ft wide bed - I think a board to clip to at the end instead of needing extra to put weights on would get it to 6ft - for 18 squares. I guess that means the tops of my hoops are around 2ft high and the zebra grass stems I used must be around 7ft long.

The 50ft piece would have 4 more 10ft pieces on it, and you could either use that for four more 3x5-6ft rows, or save some for doubling up on two, and the odd piece out could get plastic as its second layer during any colder periods, for comparison. 

Next year for me, dwarf kale (the tall kale and collards are why I put my AG30 on the tall hoops,) more concentrated planting for plants needing covers, and better follow through starting seedlings on time.
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 12/11/2016, 12:35 am

OK, glad I am not the only one confused!  

Would like to do this better tho...
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/12/2016, 2:41 am

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21616

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 12/12/2016, 10:34 am

Re-located the 'teens' reference, and it was "the low teens and below" - so approximately the same as 15*F.
The 40*F reference explicitly mentioned 'sunny,' but I don't have a "and #*F if partly cloudy" nor an "or #*F overnight"
Reading so much stuff and trying to sort which of it is important... 
--
Low Saturday night ended up being 16*F.
Thursday night-Friday morning's predicted low has dropped to negative *F, with evenings in the low teens on either sides, so it's time for me to add a second layer. I don't have more AG30, but I have plastic drop-cloths in the basement. I should be able to cover the low greens tunnel easily, but I don't know if there's stuff big enough for the wagon hoop houses. I'm leaning towards harvesting my radishes and turnip because they are in planters -- more exposure than something in the ground, and not much mass to hold heat.
---
Three more options for 'fabric':
https://www.harrisseeds.com/storefront/p-9919-row-cover-pt-bonded-125oz-6-x-50.aspx
https://www.amazon.com/Agfabric-Insects-Barrier-Extension-Protection/dp/B00ICZ80FW
http://www.greenhousemegastore.com/product/megagrow-medium-weight-row-cover-1-5-oz/plant-protection-fabric < This one only transmits 50% of light
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 1/23/2017, 6:34 pm

I did the first part of my seed ordering because I needed long day onion seeds after growing mostly the wrong ones last year because I incorrectly assumed the local home stores would carry the right ones for the region. rofl

From Baker Creek:
Bean, Galopka (yellow, bush, Polish heirloom)
Lettuce, Lunix (red oakleaf, both slow to bolt & recommend for "out-of-season low-tunnel production" Perfect!)
Onion, Stuttgarter (storage onion, one of my dad's guesses for what he used to grow)
Orach, Aurora mixed
Pepper, Ghost -- for a friend. I'll keep some, but I'm scared to grow them.
Radicchio, Castelfranco (variegated!)
Squash, Hidatsa (C. maxima, 2-10lb, winter hubbard type, from a tribe who came from what is now N.Dakota)
Herb -- Balangu Lallemantia Royleana Mountain Balm

From Adaptive Seeds:
Eggplant, Astrakom (suitable for short season climates and container growing)
Fava, Ianto's Return (very cold hardy)
Kale, Baltic Red (a cold hardy kale, probably one of the parents of the hybrid variety Redbor)
Lettuce, Hyper Red Rumple Waved (red wrinkly leaf lettuce, resistant to cold/wet weather)
Lettuce, Hungarian Winter Pink (quick to bolt, but winter hardy "Interior leaves maintain quality down to 20°F")
Mustard, Green in Snow ("Shi-LiHon", copes handily with lows of 8°F!)
Onion (red), Rossa di Toscana (good for storage, pungent, and with high levels of healthful pigments)

Last edited by BeetlesPerSqFt on 1/23/2017, 6:35 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo resulting in the incorrect tense)
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Back to top Go down

Post  Mellen 1/23/2017, 11:43 pm

We are out of control.  All of us.  From Maine to California.  Totally.

My last count of seeds is at 81.  This does not include those I have in long term storage for an emergency situation.  It also doesn't include the 27 I WANT that I haven't ordered because....I HAVE NO WHERE TO PUT THEM!  (But it doesn't stop me from yearning)

My daughter thinks I'm nuts.  Do you think maybe she's right?   thinking
Mellen
Mellen

Female Posts : 128

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 1/23/2017, 11:47 pm

Mellen wrote:We are out of control.  All of us.  From Maine to California.  Totally.

My last count of seeds is at 81.  This does not include those I have in long term storage for an emergency situation.  It also doesn't include the 27 I WANT that I haven't ordered because....I HAVE NO WHERE TO PUT THEM!  (But it doesn't stop me from yearning)

I am out of control up here in Canada as well.   Shocked

And yes you are nuts along with the rest of us seed collectors/hoarders.
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5394

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 1/24/2017, 8:31 am

LOL! Mellen, you've seen my spreadsheet. And I've got a few things that aren't in there.

My catalogs are filled of marks of other things I want. And I doubt I have room either. But it doesn't stop me from yearning. :-)
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Zmoore 1/24/2017, 11:06 am

Little off topic,

This thread and another one were lined up under the "latest topics" tab with Atlanta Marie posting replies.  My brain kind of blurred them together and I got:
"3rd world Country Gardening in Central Pennsylvania"

Wait, what?
Little "double take", thought it was funny.
Zmoore
Zmoore

Male Posts : 225

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 1/24/2017, 3:54 pm

Zmoore wrote:Little off topic,

This thread and another one were lined up under the "latest topics" tab with Atlanta Marie posting replies.  My brain kind of blurred them together and I got:
"3rd world Country Gardening in Central Pennsylvania"

Wait, what?
Little "double take", thought it was funny.
I misread a LOT. It makes my life very interesting. What a Face
Nah, rural or maybe subrural? Tractors and other mysterious farm equipment like the hay pronghorns* periodically cause traffic slowdowns, occasionally the domestic geese try to play chicken with the cars Laughing , and there are cows in the yard behind mine...so it's not quite suburbia --definitely not third world though. Today I learned, through wikipedia, that the phrase "third world" has an interesting history and different original meaning that today's usual usage.
*this piece of equipment with a single prong on an attachment at the front, that pierces the center hole of the round bales of plant matter, and tilts up to carry it away. I'm sure they have a real name.
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 1/24/2017, 7:41 pm

trolleydriver wrote:
Mellen wrote:We are out of control.  All of us.  From Maine to California.  Totally.

I am out of control up here in Canada as well.   Shocked

And yes you are nuts along with the rest of us seed collectors/hoarders.
Do you buy seeds when you are disappointed, stressed or have had a fight with someone?
Can you plant more seeds now than when you first started to garden?
Are you more in a hurry to plant your first seeds of the year than you used to be?
When gardening with other people, do you try to plant a few extra seeds when others won't know about it?
Have you tried switching seed companies or vegetables, or following different plans to control your seed collecting?
Has a family member or close friend expressed concern or complained about your seed hoard?
After large seed purchases do you sometimes see or hear things that aren't there?

I don't think I could stop, I like how gardening makes me feel. So I'm more likely to be an enabler of seed collecting by others; I'll be making a trading post sometime soon. I'll admit I even ...make my own seeds... in my back yard.
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/24/2017, 9:49 pm

Zmoore, that is funny!

BPSF, Great definition of seedolics and their enablers. Razz

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21616

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Mellen 1/26/2017, 3:18 pm

OH MY GOODNESS!  BPSF!  I was rolling on the ground.  My daughter says What in the WORLD?  I read what you posted to her.  She just rolled her eyes.

I guess you have to be one to appreciate another.  She isn't & doesn't.

Thanks for the laughs everyone....!
Mellen
Mellen

Back to top Go down

Post  Mellen 1/26/2017, 8:23 pm

Oh My Gosh!  They heard us!  Spring Fever Seed Sale:  https://outlook.live.com/owa/?path=/mail/inbox/rp
Edit:  Add "This is Seed Savers Exchange"
Mellen
Mellen

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 1/26/2017, 9:12 pm

I
BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:

Do you buy seeds when you are disappointed, stressed or have had a fight with someone?
Can you plant more seeds now than when you first started to garden?
Are you more in a hurry to plant your first seeds of the year than you used to be?
When gardening with other people, do you try to plant a few extra seeds when others won't know about it?
Have you tried switching seed companies or vegetables, or following different plans to control your seed collecting?
Has a family member or close friend expressed concern or complained about your seed hoard?
After large seed purchases do you sometimes see or hear things that aren't there?

I don't think I could stop, I like how gardening makes me feel. So I'm more likely to be an enabler of seed collecting by others; I'll be making a trading post sometime soon. I'll admit I even ...make my own seeds... in my back yard.
YES!  YES, I do!  

Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 1/27/2017, 6:54 am

BLAHAHAHAHAHAhahahahha! ZMoore & BPSF, y'all are TOO funny!

And, yes, my name is Marie & I'm an addict!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5