Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
New England, May 2015 Toplef10New England, May 2015 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

New England, May 2015 I22gcj10New England, May 2015 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
New England, May 2015 Toplef10New England, May 2015 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

New England, May 2015 I22gcj10New England, May 2015 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

New England, May 2015

+12
CapeCoddess
DeborahC
jessica_alinari
yolos
littlesapphire
sanderson
AtlantaMarie
Razed Bed
NHGardener
mollyhespra
quiltbea
camprn
16 posters

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

New England, May 2015 Empty New England, May 2015

Post  camprn 5/1/2015, 5:29 pm

Onward to warmer weather. We need rain!

My peas, book choy and rapinni have sprouted and I can see them growing. There are tons of baby dill, calendula and some leeks emerging as well.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

New England, May 2015 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

New England, May 2015 Empty Re: New England, May 2015

Post  quiltbea 5/1/2015, 11:03 pm

Camprn.....My peas are about an inch plus tall right now.  Yippee! cheers
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 5/2/2015, 1:31 pm

Both Lowe's and Home Depot are having their spring plant sale, flowers and veggies and herbs.  Started the end of April or May 1st for about 10 days I think.
4 for $10 or $2.50 each for regularly $3.68 plants.
Don't forget to pick up what you need.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 5/2/2015, 5:45 pm

I couldn't get this to link up properly but if you click on it and then wait a couple seconds the actual 50% off tulle ad will show up. this is only good through tonight.

http://joann.shoplocal.com/Joann/Social/Meta/Facebook?OpenGraphTitle=Jo-Ann%3A+50%25+off+All+Netting+%26+Tulle.&OpenGraphDescription=Colors+match+Casa+Collection%E2%84%A2.&OpenGraphImageUrl=%2F%2Fakimages.shoplocal.com%2Fdyn_li%2F100.0.88.0%2FRetailers%2FJoAnnStores%2F150412DM_P11_img_1702672147.jpg&RedirectUrl=%252FJoann%252FEntry%252FIndex%252F%253FListingID%253D-2035111535%2526StoreID%253D2412681

Got the onions replanted but I forgot to put a dish of ammonia out on the bed. Guess I'd better go do that now. It's interesting how Mr. Coon is digging all around the SFGs but not in the SFGs themselves except for the in ground ones. He's also turned over all the seaweed, mulch, and wood chips that I had around all the fruit trees. I guess that's okay, but if he ever hits my SFG boxes I'm going to be super p.o.'d.
Mad
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 5/2/2015, 6:33 pm

Okay, there are now about 20 little jars & bowls and about 20 clamshells filled with ammonia placed all over the SFG boxes. I don't want him even thinking about getting into those. Do you think he hasn't gone in there yet because he can sense that the mm doesn't have any dirt in it? Wouldn't that be something. Has anyone had racoons go into the Mel's mix?

Molly, I tried Doctor P when Mr. C made his first appearance in the asparagus bed. Two nights later he was back. If it worked I guess it would have to be a daily fertilizing which probably is not a good idea.

I wonder how long the ammonia will stay smelly? I know nothing about ammonia. Does it lose its potency after a while when it's not capped?
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 5/2/2015, 10:37 pm

CapeC......I can't help you with the raccoons.  We don't have any probably because we have two dogs that tour our yard.
I checked the future weather reports and they look mighty good so I took a chance and transplanted some things today.  If we expect a frosty nite, I'll just get out the old towels and sheets and cover them.
I put out 6 Curled Parsley, 2 Rosemary bushes, 1 Common Sage today.  It feels so good to see green in my flower garden bed.  Checked the raised beds in the Back 40 and the Broccs, Brussels, and Kales are doing fine and the peas are sprouting.
Yay for sugar snap peas.
New England, May 2015 05-02-10
Here's the first row of peas I sowed on 4-13.  I didn't soak them at all but they sprouted just fine.  The ones I put in on 4-24 I soaked overnite but nary a speck of them seen yet.
added:  I see I need to weed a bit.  Can't have those invading the bed.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 5/3/2015, 1:41 pm

CC, what about some garlic against Mr. Coon?  Last year I got some cheapo minced garlic at the discount store and used that against aphids, I think it was.  Seemed to help.  I wonder if the smell of the garlic might deter him from digging if it's sprinkled around.  Might be worth a little experiment.
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Female Posts : 1087

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 5/3/2015, 2:45 pm

QB, I know what you mean about how good it feels to see some green in the garden. My garden is crankin now but it'll stay cool here on the Cape probably until June. We don't plant out our summer veggies until Memorial Day or after around these parts. but I'll tell you a little secret, I planted out an extra black cherry tomato seedling on Friday. I put it in a pot and I cover it with another pot at night and give it dappled Sun during the day. So far so good.

mollyhespra wrote:CC, what about some garlic against Mr. Coon?  Last year I got some cheapo minced garlic at the discount store and used that against aphids, I think it was.  Seemed to help.  I wonder if the smell of the garlic might deter him from digging if it's sprinkled around.  Might be worth a little experiment.

I'll try that next if my newest idea doesn't work. I thought about how the Dr P worked and so I decided to dump all the dishes, shells and jars of the ammonia and replace it with Dr P. That way it doesn't have to be fertilizing the garden. I'll try that tonight since the ammonia didn't hinder him at all. He dug holes 6 inches from the ammonia containers. It must have been too old.

Not a cloud in the sky today but chilly and breezy and as dry as a desert. I'm back to the SFG watering schedule of every weekend and Wednesday.  

The early tulips are in bloom. They look a little bleached out in this photo do to all this sunshine we're having.New England, May 2015 Img_2028

You know, my kales and collards are starting to look a bit alike. Do you guys think it's possible that they have crossed pollinated? I mean, if kale and brussel sprouts can do it why not kale and collards. What would we call them, kalelards?
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 5/3/2015, 3:12 pm

I can't believe it might reach 80 here today.
I know I'm taking chances putting out some things before our last frost date, but I figure I can cover all of them with old towels and sheets should a frosty nite arrive.  I'll chance it.
CapeC.....I tansplanted a tomato outdoors about a month before last frost before and put a cage around it wrapped in Saran wrap from bottom to top.  I was able to place an old towel over the top if it got frosty.  That tomato did good.  I got my first fruit from it.  The only problem is I had to keep watch on it so much to be sure not too much heat inside during the days nor too cool at nite. 
Today I put out 4 of my mini-tomatoes (Totem, Tiny Tim, Tumbling Tiger, and Lizzano) to get them hardening off.  I want to get those into the covered greenhouse bed earlier than normal if I can.  I might have to transplant them right in the middle of the lettuces and greens that are growing there, but I'll experiment and see how they do.  I can always close that whole bed up at nite if needed.
Today I also transplanted 3 Stevia plants out in the flower garden.  My flower garden will have more herbs and greens than flowers at this rate.  I also plan on putting out a half dozen tomato plants there.
Unfortunately the Japanese beetles really decimated my roses there.  Each year I kept losing more and more and didn't want to replace them because I was sick of fighting those beetles.  I think a few of the roses might be back this year, but not many.
Our last frost date used to be May 30th for ages, but the last few years I've watched closely and the last frost dates have been in the first week of May so I think its pretty safe to put out some things a tiny bit earlier.  As long as I can cover them in a hurry.
Hey Cape, I love your tulips.  So pretty.  I don't have any in my garden I'm sad to say.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 5/3/2015, 5:59 pm

Here's my four mini-tomatoes that are outdoors beginning their hardening off process today.
New England, May 2015 05-03-10
They are Tumbling Tiger, Totem, Tiny Tim, and Lizzano.
Oh, I made an error.  High temp today was 70.  Tomorrow it'll hit 80 they think.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 5/4/2015, 6:41 am

It's going to be in the 80s today! And then in the 70s for a long time, so yay. I think we're out of the frost woods.

CC, sorry you're still having trouble with that raccoon! Let's hope he moves on. The ammonia isn't getting into your beds, right?

Anyone else having to water? I watered the other day and it's dry again, I'll water today. I'm not seeing any rain in the forecast.

We've eaten asparagus already! As fast as it's coming I'm picking it, I'm thinking more will grow soon...

Thanks for the heads up on the Lowes/Home Depot QB! 

I indoor seeded the vines yesterday - pumpkin, cucumber, butternut squash, watermelon, yellow squash & zucchini. It seems to work better for me if I indoor seed them for a few weeks and then put them out as plants.

I planted a carrot bed but we'll see what happens. I've never had success with carrots and the bed isn't completely composted, there's still some hard seaweed on top and some leaves, so we'll see if they can push through that. Planted the sprouted peas a few days ago, in a new spot, but haven't seen them push up yet. And one of my kale plants I put out there is chopped down, I'm thinking a cutworm? Are they out yet? 

I'm holding off on transplanting peppers, tomatoes and eggplants because I think they do better if the soil temperature is warmer.

I'm seeing a lot of raspberries coming up all over, and they're really easy to transplant, they seem to do well no matter what, but now that they're leafing, I think it's best to hold off till fall dormancy.

Counting the days till the grocery store is only 50 feet away! Laughing
NHGardener
NHGardener

Female Posts : 2305

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 5/4/2015, 1:13 pm

NHGardener wrote:I planted a carrot bed but we'll see what happens. I've never had success with carrots and the bed isn't completely composted, there's still some hard seaweed on top and some leaves, so we'll see if they can push through that.
NHG, the carrot seeds need to be watered practically every day til they sprout, which takes a really long time.  And they come up as little delicate tiny blades of grass that probably won't be able to push up thru seaweed clumps. I would take the seaweed off or break it up so it's like grains of sand. 

When I first planted mine I watered  them in and then stuck a big plastic tray over the top to retain heat and so I wouldn't have to water so much.  It seems to have worked coz they just started sprouting last week. 
What a Face
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 5/4/2015, 2:11 pm

Thanks CC, maybe that's my problem, besides the soil not be composted entirely, that I'm not watering enough. I will water them every day now, and break up those seaweed clumps. That stuff can get hard and brittle when it's dry!
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 5/4/2015, 5:00 pm

Hooray, I was able to find thyme and Greek oregano at the Home Depot veggie plant sale today so I'm a happy camper.  I also picked up more perennial plants to fill in some of the raised beds in my Back 40 which formerly was all veggies.
I've cut back on the workload this way.
Was out there watering the peas, broccs, Brussels sprouts, and kale and the flowers and bulbs already planted. 
Its hit 80 here today and sunny.  A bit warm for me.  I had to dig out a pair of shorts to be comfy today.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 5/4/2015, 7:14 pm

I'm a little nervous that the drought conditions may be easing this way. It was in the 80s here today and yet it's only 37% humidity in the house, with open windows...

I watered everything today, including the calendulas and bee balm I transplanted today. Also I picked up more phlox at the grocery store the other day and planted it, it's so pretty. Today when I went back to the store it was pretty much gone. I was surprised.

There's a library plant sale here the first weekend in June, and a plant swap coming up in a couple weeks.  What a Face I sure wouldn't mind a few more fruit trees either.  What a Face What a Face
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 5/4/2015, 10:39 pm

NHGardener.....my local Home Depot had a ton of creeping phlox plants at 4 for $10 today but I wanted something taller so passed them up.
I hope to be out transplanting tomorrow after I check the future forecasts to see if any frost is lurking anywhere close by.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/5/2015, 6:45 am

We still need rain! The pollen count is simply awful.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

New England, May 2015 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 5/5/2015, 6:50 am

Wow QB! $2.50 each! Mine were $4.50 each. DOH! Missed it again.

Weather Underground is showing some hopeful rain next week, at least 60% at this point. NOAA isn't going out that far. So crossing fingers for rain.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  lyndeeloo 5/5/2015, 7:16 am

Yes, yes rain please! I'm watering almost every day. I hate to be doing this much watering this early because of the water bill. I saved money by starting all my own plants this year so I guess that money can help pay the water bill.
lyndeeloo
lyndeeloo

Female Posts : 433

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 5/5/2015, 12:53 pm

Welcome to my world, all you folks looking for rain.  If we go into drought conditions again this summer, that will be 3 yrs in a row for the Cape.  Mulch mulch mulch.  

Overcast today but so nice and warmish.  I planted out 2 squares of chard seedlings this morning in sqs 2 & 4 with a couple strays here and there:  New England, May 2015 06610
I've never had good luck with transplanting chard that I start inside, so this year I let them get bigger than usual, about 3 -4 inches high.  They are still floppy but we'll see how they do later.

Taters are coming up...at least I think that's what these are: New England, May 2015 03910

Lettuce/onion/radish bed: New England, May 2015 01610
You can see the volunteers from last years lettuces that were allowed to bolt and drop seed: New England, May 2015 02410

I have the spots out in the gardens covered with clam packs to warm up in prep for these squash and cuke babies : New England, May 2015 00911
This is an experiment in transplanting without disturbing the roots too much since I never have luck transplanting them either.  I'll cut up the egg carton into sections and bury it into the ground, seedling and all, and let you know if it takes or not.

Dr. P worked again!  No new Mr. Coon holes this morning.  I'll use it every evening until he figures out that this yard is off limits.

Garden is in full swing: New England, May 2015 05310
All is well with the world.
What a Face
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

New England, May 2015 Empty Cape Coddess--Your garden looks great

Post  Razed Bed 5/5/2015, 1:01 pm

Cape Coddes, I wish our garden looked this nice and organized.  Our squares and straightaways look more like a junk yard when compared to your garden.

This is probably a stupid thought, but since you live where you live, can you not gather up in gallon containers water from the ocean and desalinate it?  Could the sea minerals even aid your garden?
Razed Bed

Male Posts : 243

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 5/5/2015, 1:11 pm

All is well with the world.

I hear you there! I was smiling this morning, thinking how happy I am now that it's warm and beautiful. It REALLY makes a difference.

Went to Home Depot this morning! Picked up 2 lavender perennial plants, one garden sage (are they perennial? I'm thinking yes) and splurged on a 6-pack of brussel sprouts! I've never tried brussel sprouts before, but camprn makes them look so good, I couldn't resist. We'll see.

Your geo-design bed is cool, CC! And your beds look so healthy. 

Hope to get the potatoes planted today - I cut them up yesterday and I'm letting them dry out a little. 

The greenhouse unit on the deck is really working out great right now. The plants, etc. have weighted it down and they look so green in there, I'm keeping them in there day and night since it's not getting too cool right now.

Time to water the garden again! And the new flowers.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 5/5/2015, 1:18 pm

RB, thanks for the complement.  I never think of my SFG as nice & organized.  Wish my mom agreed. Rolling Eyes
I kinda left the junkie part out of the previous photo.  Here's a more complete SFG photo: New England, May 2015 05010
There will be one more box added, over to the right of Lilly, this weekend for the raspberries that are on the way! I love you

I can get buckets of water, and have, from the lake across the street when no one is in residence.  It's an uphill climb as I live on the top of the hill so I only do it when I'm desperate.
Very Happy
Even tho I have a good sized bucket brigade, my back and hip don't much enjoy playing 'water buckets' anymore.
No

NGH, can we see a photo of your greenhouse unit on the deck?
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 5/5/2015, 2:30 pm

Glad you reminded me CC - I was just out taking pictures, so I caught some of the "greenhouse" too. I got this for $20 at Ocean State Job Lots I think, but since then I've seen them for $15 at I think Christmas Tree Shops (in the ad). It has zippers down the front but it gets too hot in there when the sun is out, of course. I'm storing some things on the bottom 2 shelves. Smile Helps anchor it down.
New England, May 2015 Greenh10
New England, May 2015 Greenh11
New England, May 2015 Greenh12
New England, May 2015 Greenh13

Here are the new phloxes I bought the other day:
New England, May 2015 Newphl10

And look what I found! I don't ever remember seeing this before, and now I'm seeing it everywhere, in the flower garden, along the rock wall, and even in the grass, tho they may be different types:
New England, May 2015 Ground10
New England, May 2015 Ground11

I forgot to show you the walking onions in the rock bed. I transplanted those here last spring from a couple plants that someone had given me:
New England, May 2015 Walkin10
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 5/5/2015, 4:14 pm

NHG, your starts obviously love it in that li'l greenhouse.  They look so strong and healthy!  Lucky you with all those violets.  Did you plant them?

And look at your walking onions!  Mine are 3 yrs old this year and are still puny. New England, May 2015 04910
I put them in the worst part of the yard so they wouldn't take over...but now they don't even walk. Mad
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 10 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next