Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
New England, May 2015 - Page 2 Toplef10New England, May 2015 - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

New England, May 2015 - Page 2 I22gcj10New England, May 2015 - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
New England, May 2015 - Page 2 Toplef10New England, May 2015 - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

New England, May 2015 - Page 2 I22gcj10New England, May 2015 - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

New England, May 2015

+12
CapeCoddess
DeborahC
jessica_alinari
yolos
littlesapphire
sanderson
AtlantaMarie
Razed Bed
NHGardener
mollyhespra
quiltbea
camprn
16 posters

Page 2 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

New England, May 2015 - Page 2 Empty Re: New England, May 2015

Post  NHGardener 5/5/2015, 4:27 pm

Hmm CC. I haven't taken any of my onions out yet - have you? That might make a difference. I've just been letting them do their thing. Also, I mulched that rock garden a lot, with woodchips and leaves and I think there was garden soil in there when we moved here.

Are those violets? I thought maybe they were along the lines of the ground cover you have in your yard. Now that I'm seeing them all over here, even in the grass, I'm thinking they're just a spring bloom because they probably disappear into nothing but green once summer hits.

Got the potatoes planted, but I didn't have enough to fill a 4x8 box! I was putting 4 in per square as per SFG, but maybe I should have spaced them out more. I'll put something else in that box too, maybe the brussel sprouts. There were a ton of earthworms in that box tho. They really love leaves.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Female Posts : 2305

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 5/5/2015, 4:35 pm

Nope, I haven't taken any onions out yet either.  I guess they'd like some compost since they are growing in old builders sand & stones.
Rolling Eyes 
Do you start your squash in peat pots?  Do you have a photo of them?
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 5/5/2015, 4:43 pm

I just started my vines a couple days ago, and the only thing that's sprouted so far is the cucumber. I just have them in regular planters with Coast of Maine potting soil, in a black tray with a plastic lid. I have them on a heating mat at night, but in the day I put the plastic cover ajar and set them outside. The cucumbers seem to love that. The rest will probably sprout any time now.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  lyndeeloo 5/5/2015, 4:49 pm

New England, May 2015 - Page 2 14308211 
Gravenstein Apple blossom

All of my fruit trees are starting to blossom. I've added a few more trees this year. Squeezing them in where ever I can.
lyndeeloo
lyndeeloo

Female Posts : 433

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 5/5/2015, 4:55 pm

Beautiful!  love the idea I can smell it....even though I've never smelled an apple blossom in my life.  Do they have a scent?

I planted 3 sprouting Pink Lady apple seeds the other day.  Hopefully I can get a mate for the Honey Crisp I started from seed last year.  
New England, May 2015 - Page 2 1787710427
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 5/5/2015, 5:38 pm

Beautiful apple blossom lyndeeloo! I don't know if I'll get blossoms this year yet. I don't think so, they're so small yet.

CC, can you start apple trees by seed? I thought they had to be started by grafts or you end up with Frankenstein apples?
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  lyndeeloo 5/5/2015, 6:30 pm

Apple blossoms smell so gooood! Neighbors must think I am nuts with may face all up in the branches.
lyndeeloo
lyndeeloo

Female Posts : 433

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 5/5/2015, 7:45 pm

My fruit trees aren't blossoming yet tho the leaves are budding now.  I love seeing yours lyndeeloo. It gives me a preview.
NHG....Put in your Brussels sprouts and then wait til fall.  They'll be ready to harvest then and a light frost won't hurt them either.
The only Sage that is perennial is the variety Extrakta.
I went out to weed the asparagus bed after I got all the perennials in that were planned for today.  Lovely day in the 70s and a great day to work outside.  A nice cool breeze now and then.
New England, May 2015 - Page 2 05-05-10
Here's the first Jersey Knight asparagus.

New England, May 2015 - Page 2 05-05-11
Here's the 2nd one.  Only two so far but I'm happy.

New England, May 2015 - Page 2 05-05-12
In this bed I transplanted the Silene plants.  That's my first planting of sugar snaps behind them sown on 4/13 without soaking them first.  They look mighty healthy.
In the foreground is my Onion Chives planted about 3 years ago and that I have to keep thinning out so it doesn't overtake the bed.
Yup, most of my raised beds in the Back 40 will be perennials now and just in time.  The wood is starting to crack in half and separate from the corners.  In time I'll just remove them and have raised berms without boards.
CapeC....I hear you about walking uphill being a pain.  That's the reason I'm changing my veggie beds to mostly perennial flowers with just a few veggies throughout.  My Back 40 is up a rather steep hill and my legs just don't like that hill any longer.
I put in all my perennial flower plants today and even sowed some flower seeds in those beds.  I checked the future forecast first and for the next week and a half no frost in sight so I think I'm safe to plant everything.
I'll have to start bringing out my tomato plants to harden off.  I only bring out 4 of the mini-ones so far since they will go in the greenhse bed first.
I love that spring has sprung and the snow is a thing of the past.
Go Gardeners! flower flower flower
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 5/5/2015, 8:47 pm

Yay QB, you're a member of the asparagus club!

I love seeing those pretty flowers! And I love the idea of flowers mixed in with the veggies.

We planted large areas of buckwheat today, which I'm going to have to water daily in blackfly season till it germinates....... The chickens have been confined to their own yard which is fenced, but they keep escaping the fence and they love the buckwheat seed. I'm still not seeing rain in the forecast, except for 30% and 40% chances next week, which doesn't sound so promising, so looks like the hose is going to be my constant companion for a while.

One other thing I like about perennials is their roots grow to stretch down really deeply, so a less rainy spring doesn't affect them as much. They're more drought tolerant.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 5/6/2015, 6:22 am

Does anyone know if brussel sprouts have a big problem with cabbage loopers? And if they do, is it best to cover them with agrabon? They have such a long growing season I can't really see covering them for 3 months but I don't want them to get destroyed either.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 5/6/2015, 8:17 am

lyndeeloo wrote:Apple blossoms smell so gooood! Neighbors must think I am nuts with may face all up in the branches.

It's okay, Lyndeeloo.  Mine have finally gotten used to me waving from behind the blueberry bushes and calling, "Hi neighbor..." 

And I'm sure they think I'm nuts too.  Until they taste the blueberries...
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5600

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/6/2015, 1:23 pm

NHGardener wrote:Does anyone know if brussel sprouts have a big problem with cabbage loopers? And if they do, is it best to cover them with agrabon? They have such a long growing season I can't really see covering them for 3 months but I don't want them to get destroyed either.

I'm not an expert, but I would say that anything that likes cabbage will like Brussels sprouts. And kale, and broccoli, and bok choy, anything else in the family. I used bridal tulle to cover mine. The white butterflies use my beans when nothing else is available. I guess any leaf is better than no crucifers.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  littlesapphire 5/6/2015, 1:59 pm

CC, this is totally random, but I think your cat is adorable (the orangey siamese-ish one)! 

QB, love the pictures Smile  Those asparagus are so nice looking.
littlesapphire
littlesapphire

Female Posts : 826

http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 5/6/2015, 4:11 pm

Thanks, Julie.  She's real smart, too.  Chased a stray lab off the property yesterday, as she does with foxes and such, and my neighbor almost fell over laughing.  Said we'll have to put up a sign "Beware of Cat".

I planted out squash seedlings today - 2 Delicata, 2 Butternut and 1 Trombocini.  Probably a dumb idea since it's supposed to get cold here again next week.  But I have clampacks for cover at the ready.  I'll use them tonight, too, since it's going down to 48 or so.

I also put some borax/water on the sprouting baby beets.  Had some left over so used it on the chard. 
idk 

I have a question:  how often do you water onions and garlic?  My fingers don't work to feel the MM so I've been watering them twice a week this year.  Never did that before and never had large onions and garlic.
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 5/6/2015, 6:51 pm

Thanks, sanderson!

And CC, I don't usually water my garlic much if at all. But the tiny onion starts I do. But this spring I'm watering everything, I watered the garlic and the onions today along with everything else, it's just so dry lately. (Next Tuesday looks like the hopeful for rain here)
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  littlesapphire 5/6/2015, 7:35 pm

Lol, CC, that sounds like a great cat.  I would love to see her chase a big dog out of the yard! 

I'm with you, NHG.  I've been having to water my garden as well, which is really unusual for me in the spring.  I usually don't have to water until at least the middle of June.  But once I start watering, I water everything, onions and garlic included, about once every day or two.  Of course, I don't usually mulch because I have a bad slug problem and the mulch encourages them.
littlesapphire
littlesapphire

Female Posts : 826

http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 5/6/2015, 8:18 pm

I wonder if this dry weather will lessen our slug problem this summer? That would be nice.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 5/6/2015, 9:37 pm

NHGardener wrote:Does anyone know if brussel sprouts have a big problem with cabbage loopers? And if they do, is it best to cover them with agrabon? They have such a long growing season I can't really see covering them for 3 months but I don't want them to get destroyed either.
YES, YES, YES to all.  They'll go after the tender leaves at the crown first which will significantly impact on the plant's ability to produce sprouts later.  Cover if you want to have anything to eat in the fall.

CapeCoddess wrote: (snip)
I have a question:  how often do you water onions and garlic?  My fingers don't work to feel the MM so I've been watering them twice a week this year.  Never did that before and never had large onions and garlic.

CC, I water onions and garlic as often as I water anything else, but I don't know if lack of watering has made you have small bulbs, per-se. I think size of bulb must be somewhat dependent on how much moisture is available to the plant but it also is dependent on daylight as well as the size of the parent clove/bulb, etc.
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Female Posts : 1087

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/7/2015, 3:09 am

NHGardener wrote:I wonder if this dry weather will lessen our slug problem this summer? That would be nice.

Being in dry California, I have to say no. They just migrate to the boxes for dinner.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 5/7/2015, 4:56 pm

Welcome to my new raspberry box - built, filled and planted today. Every time I build a box I say, that will be the last one, never again.
New England, May 2015 - Page 2 Img_2031
I put some row cover on after taking the photo to provide a bit of shade while they are in transplant shock. Total exhaustion has set in but I'm so excited...hoping for raspberries this fall.

Temp got up to the high 60's here today! I actually had shorts on. It was so tempting to plant out the tomatoes but I resisted the urge. Sure would like some rain though. The lawn needs mowing but its not going to happen if there's no rain coming. Oh, NHG, even during drought conditions the slugs continue to come. And I saw the white butterfly today, and the red lily beetle or whatever it's called. Lots of those this year.  grrrrr...

I will be planting out the leeks this weekend. Is anybody else getting ready to do that?
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 5/7/2015, 7:20 pm

I wish I had leeks! I have my eye on a perennial leak, it will have to wait until next year.

One of my transplanted kale had a dead leaf on it. On the dead leaf were 3 baby slugs. So THEY'RE BAAAAACK. I hate those things. They torture me every summer. Maybe I'll get adult ducks this year and keep them in the garden.

I saw the white cabbage moth today too! Already. Glad I don't have my brassicas out there yet. They're getting tented. Well, I guess the kale is out there tho...

CC, do you get raspberries the first year? I'm thinking raspberries grow stalks the first year, and fruit in the second, but maybe there are different types.

I've been spending 2-3 hrs. a DAY watering! Torture. But we planted probably up to 1/2 acre of buckwheat and with no rain, it won't germinate. I'm trying to get this show on the road, because the chickens love buckwheat seed, and while I have sentenced them to a fenced in area, there are a few smarter-than-average ones who manage to escape, either fly over the fence, or get under it. So I'm watering the buckwheat seeds, and the vegetables that are growing, and the flowers. When is it going to rain??!

I noticed much of the asparagus coming up is very thin. I'm wondering if these are new plants from seeds or offshoots. I'm leaving the thin asparagus there.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 5/8/2015, 1:22 pm

NHGardener wrote:CC, do you get raspberries the first year? I'm thinking raspberries grow stalks the first year, and fruit in the second, but maybe there are different types.

I don't know the answer.  Guess we just have to wait and see.  I've read that there are 2 kinds, summmer and fall.  One grows on last years canes and one grows on new canes, just like different hydrangeas do.

Lyndeeloo, do you cut your raspberries back every fall or leave them up?
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 5/9/2015, 12:10 pm

My Amaldin Duke Cherry (dwarf) is blooming.
New England, May 2015 - Page 2 05-08-10
I love it.   The apples behind it are just getting their leaves.
I had to lop off a branch on my poor Peach tree.  It got split during the heavy winter snows and it was a nice one so one side of my tree is looking poorly.  I hope it gives me some peaches this year.  If it does, it won't be many.
I've got more seeds to sow today.
I got in my African marigolds yesterday and found spots for my leftover kale and kalettte in my flower bed yesterday.  Today it'll be thyme and oregano going in and sowing more thyme seeds.  I love thyme.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/9/2015, 12:46 pm

QB, Lovely photo.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 5/9/2015, 12:57 pm

I'm also happy to report that the trays of seedlings out hardening off are increasing.
New England, May 2015 - Page 2 05-09-10
I put out these 4 mini toms to harden first because I wanted them in the covered greenhouse bed soonest.  They are in good shape and I'm thinking maybe this week I'll transplant them out there.
New England, May 2015 - Page 2 05-09-11
These were the next bunch I've put out to harden.  I had up-potted these first from their cellpacks.
New England, May 2015 - Page 2 05-09-12
These are the last ones I just put out yesterday for 2 hrs.  Also the last ones that I up-potted.  All are growing according to schedule.  I think I am well supplied with tomatoes and peppers this season. 
I still have some in cellpacks under the lights indoors and I think I'll up-pot those today.  They'll no doubt be saved for my contribution to our local community garden or the plant sale held by our local library the first week in June.
It looks like I'll have lots of tomatoes to roast and freeze for the winter, if the insects and diseases don't do me in first.  I'm crossing my fingers for a good harvest this year.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next