Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
New England, May 2015 - Page 3 Toplef10New England, May 2015 - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

New England, May 2015 - Page 3 I22gcj10New England, May 2015 - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
New England, May 2015 - Page 3 Toplef10New England, May 2015 - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

New England, May 2015 - Page 3 I22gcj10New England, May 2015 - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Senseless Banter...
by MrBooker Today at 6:57 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

New England, May 2015

+12
CapeCoddess
DeborahC
jessica_alinari
yolos
littlesapphire
sanderson
AtlantaMarie
Razed Bed
NHGardener
mollyhespra
quiltbea
camprn
16 posters

Page 3 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

New England, May 2015 - Page 3 Empty Re: New England, May 2015

Post  CapeCoddess 5/9/2015, 1:28 pm

Beautiful cherry tree, QB! I've been trying to sprout cherries from seed but they aren't taking.
But the Pink Lady apples seeds sprouted yesterday. And my peach tree is flowering as are 3 out of 5 Concord grapes and the strawberries.
Peach blossoms: New England, May 2015 - Page 3 Img_2032

I feel so lazy today. It's overcast and cool out, perfect for planting the bee balm that a neighbor gave me this morning, and boiling up old soup bones that have been stacking up in the freezer.

I've also been reading up on raspberries and grapes. Lots to learn, like I need to build a trellis for the raspberries and figure out which canes to cut down at the end of every year. And after all this reading, I'm still totally clueless about the grapes. I have a feeling they'll just have to go willy-nilly this year or put up with my attempt at following directions. study But every half hour or so I get up and water another couple of SFG boxes.

The raccoon is still staying off the property - day 4. Thank you Dr P!

While I was eating strawberries from the local organic market for lunch just now I came across three absolutely delicious ones and planted a piece of each out in the strawberry bed. Has anyone grown strawberries from seeds?
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 5/9/2015, 10:27 pm

Beautiful blossoms, QB & CC!

I had the heat on this morning. So I'm thinking still too early to put out the "hots". They say wait until nights are 55 or higher. 

NOAA revised the chance of rain down the next couple days, and after Tuesday, no rain in the forecast at all. Bleh. Getting a little nervous about lack of rain.

Some of the buckwheat is starting to sprout - yay.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Female Posts : 2305

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 5/9/2015, 10:43 pm

You're right, CC! The purple flowers in my photo before ARE violets. I was thinking African violets.... I didn't know they grow wild.

And I see they're considered a WEED! How can that be? They're beautiful! And I see they're edible, wow. And I think they're a pollinator plant, altho I haven't seen bees on them, maybe there are too many dandelions right now. Which I also treasure and folks consider a weed. Smile
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 5/10/2015, 11:03 am

CC, I've tried growing strawberries and raspberries from "seed" by planting out the berry like you did and nothing ever came  of it.  That was way before my days of SFG and MM so it may be that my soil was just too poor because I just stuck them in the ground outside figuring if wild ones grew there, the cultivated ones would do fine.  But nada.  

I'm curious to see how your ones work out, though if they're F1 hybrids, no knowing what you'll get from the daughters, and also no knowing how viable the seeds might be either, come to think of it.  

Aren't some seeds of hybrid plants actually sterile?  Where did I read that?-- thinking

OH, and P.S., I don't know if any of you read the post on phenology but it talks about when to plant out what based on observations on other plants' growth stages, etc.  I'm using some of the wisdom gained from these observations to time the plantings in my garden this year.  Being as I live in a cold hole (microclimate), it makes more sense for me to use those markers from the plants near my house because they're probably more accurate than the general suggestions for my zone.  It might give you some clues, NHG as to when to plant out your toms & other "hots".
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Female Posts : 1087

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 5/10/2015, 2:41 pm

There's a thread on phenology? I'm so glad you mentioned that! Because I was talking to someone recently who told me she was really getting into phenology and I kept thinking lumpy heads, but she said it's the signs and seasons, like plant your peas when the peepers are out, etc. I googled to see what other sayings there were and couldn't really find that much, so I'll check that thread out.

Yesterday it was winter and I had on the heat; today it's 87 and a sweatbox... that's the way it goes! Weather underground is giving higher % of rain the next few days than NOAA, so I'm sticking with WU. Otherwise I have to get out there this afternoon and water and I'm getting spasms just thinking about that......

Saw a gorgeous mini rhododendron (the bush) at the greenhouse today. $40 tho. But it sure was pretty... picked up some cabbage, CANTELOUP, and jalapeno cell packs. Supposed to be 40F Weds  night, and not much better Thurs night, so I'm not putting my things out until Friday. Except the dried beans, I can plant those. And the pole beans, but I have to decide where to put those. Still some thinking to do....
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 5/10/2015, 4:23 pm

We can plant beans now??? Wow, I usually plant mine after the peas are about halfway through, but my peas are only about 4 inches tall. Good thing I bought some more trellis fixings in Hyannis this morning. I also got a couple of posts to put at each end of the raspberry box so I can rope them in.

Gosh Molly, I don't even know where in the strawberry bed I planted those little pieces. And as far as them being hybrid, are organic fruits and vegetables allowed to come from hybrid? I have no idea.

Got the leeks planted out today. They're in their holes and well watered. ..about three squares of them.New England, May 2015 - Page 3 Img_2035

I also planted a box of dollar store hummingbird wildflower mix. I just spread it around in all the bare spots, walked on it and then watered it in. We'll see what happens. These American seed box mixes haven't let me down yet.

I can't even entertain the thought of rain. Even when the Cape gets rain it completely misses my house. Sad  Someone told me the other day that they heard a meteorologist saying that the highway through the center of the Cape is what causes the Harwich area to have so little rain. Wish I'd heard it cuz I'd sure like to know why.
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/11/2015, 2:40 am

I can't wait to visit New York this fall. We plan to drive from NYC to Niagara Falls, then east to Maine, then down the coast back to NYC. At least 5 states.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21531

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  lyndeeloo 5/11/2015, 6:46 am

CapeCoddess wrote:
Lyndeeloo, do you cut your raspberries back every fall or leave them up?
I cut them all down to about 3 inches high after the first really hard frost. Have had really good luck with that method. Right now mine have already grown to 2 feet high. Your new raspberry bed looks great!!!!!
lyndeeloo
lyndeeloo

Female Posts : 433

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 5/11/2015, 6:51 am

Sounds like fun, sanderson! Normally that would be a lot of driving, but in foliage colors it will be a pleasure. Hope you plan a lot of scenic stops!
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  lyndeeloo 5/11/2015, 7:17 am

Spent most of the weekend working outside in the gardens.  Got the newly expanded front yard flower bed in shape. We took up all of the grass on one side of the front yard to make it larger. The grass was always patchy and I've been threatening to do it for years. Moved in lots of herbs, rhubarb, blueberry bushes and planted a new dwarf apple tree in the center. Now it's a flowers and edibles garden.

The fruit trees are blooming and it smells so lovely. Lots of flowers on the strawberry plants. Working on a trellis system for the raspberries to keep them neat and easier to pick.

Fighting the battle with cut worms, they have really done a number on my tender little brassica seedlings. Thankfully I started way too many and can replace some of them. Cut the bottom out of paper cups and plastic containers to make collars for the plants. Hope this works! Planted green bean seedlings and seeds as well as basil, dill and pickling cucumber seedlings. A full weekend and I feel like I really accomplished something, have the back ache to prove it. Smile
lyndeeloo
lyndeeloo

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 5/11/2015, 7:36 am

lyndeeloo, sounds like you are going to have a feast! A lot of work at the beginning, but the payoff will be huge, and a lot of those are perennials, so you do the really hard work once.... 

I've been keeping an eye out for blueberry bushes. I like to order them from Fedco and their blueberry shipments are over till next spring, so guess it'll be next spring before those get planted. I just figured out where I'm going to put them.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  lyndeeloo 5/11/2015, 7:55 am

NHGardener wrote:
I've been keeping an eye out for blueberry bushes. I like to order them from Fedco and their blueberry shipments are over till next spring, so guess it'll be next spring before those get planted. I just figured out where I'm going to put them.
NHG, yes perennials are the greatest things, love them!

Figuring out where to plant everything you bring home is the hardest part. At least for me!New England, May 2015 - Page 3 931411784  My new blueberries came from HD at their spring black friday sale. They looked so healthy and the price was right.  Hope they do well.
lyndeeloo
lyndeeloo

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 5/11/2015, 8:32 am

lyndeeloo - They say that careful garden planning is one of the most important steps. However, I find it's hard to know how to arrange everything, where to put them, who likes who, shade/sun issues, etc. I wish I had gone into soil science/garden landscaping... I looked around the greenhouse this past weekend with all the amazing flowering plants, shrubs, trees, etc., and thought - I wish I had a better idea of how to pull something together. They had an outdoor rock water/fountain garden with all the landscaping in place - japanese maple, etc., and I told the man: I'd like to buy this setup please. haha. Just cart that right over to my house.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 5/11/2015, 12:12 pm

We need photos, Lyndeeloo!
lyndeeloo wrote: planted a new dwarf apple tree in the center

Where'd you get the apple tree?  The nurseries around here only have semi-dwarf and that's just too big for my little yard.
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 5/11/2015, 12:43 pm

Lyndeeloo and others fighting cutworms at transplant time......I've found an easier solution.  I always found wrapping the stems with newspaper or paper towels tubes cumbersome and difficult at best.  You also have to handle the young plant too much.   Now I just stick 3 or 4 toothpicks in the soil right up against the stems of the transplanted veg or flower plant.  With the wooden skewer halfway in the soil and half out, the cutworms can't get wrapped around the stem.  The toothpick is in the way.  I haven't lost a transplant to cutworm since I started this a few years ago.  If the plant has several stems, I put in more toothpicks for protection.  As the plant gets larger and the stem thicker, it will push the toothpicks right out of the way and it becomes nature's compost.   This might be easier for some so its worth a try.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 5/11/2015, 4:26 pm

Well, since peppers aggravate arthur, & my mom may not come up to the Cape this year, I have decided to experiment with my starts: New England, May 2015 - Page 3 06412
Shocked

Breakfast from the garden (except for the pear on top): New England, May 2015 - Page 3 06510

NHG, do you grow your celery from seed?  I tried once from stumplings but around mid summer they croaked.  Do they need more water than once or twice a week?
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 5/11/2015, 4:45 pm

I do start my celery from seed, and it's in the deck greenhouse as we speak, doing well and looking just like parsley! Two years ago I started from seed and transplanted and it did great. Last year the seedlings were too small and didn't survive the transplant. I think they will this year tho. I think you just have to start it early enough to get it going well before you transplant. Crossing fingers. I don't remember how often I watered  mine the other year, but it was nothing special.

CC, are those dandelion greens? Do you just pick them from the yard? I've never tried that, tho my husband is allergic to grass, and dandelions too. That smoothie looks DELICIOUS! I can't believe you have enough to fill the cup. Smile
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 5/11/2015, 4:54 pm

NHGardener wrote:

CC, are those dandelion greens? Do you just pick them from the yard?
Yes, I picked them from the yard.  The greens went into the lunch salad and the roots went into the smoothie.  You have to pick them small or they get bitter. 
I've been making green smoothies for a while now.  All the collards and kale are pick-able, altho a few here and there are collapsing like I've never seen before. I'll look into that when I have more time.

Thanks for the info on the celery.  I should try it.  When do you start them?
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 5/11/2015, 4:58 pm

I started the celery at the same time I started the peppers and tomatoes, I have to check now but I believe it was late March.

Edit: Aha! This is why I love the saved threads here, a written record. I wrote this on 3/28:

Okay, got these seeded this morning:

Onions
Lettuce
Celery
Kale
Peppers
Tomatoes
Eggplants
Broccoli
Basil
Oregano
Parsley
Sunflowers
Bee Balm
Calendula
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  lyndeeloo 5/11/2015, 5:49 pm

Quiltbea 
Thank you what a great idea!  That is so much easier than hunting down all those recycled plastic containers!  Nice!!!!!!

CC
My trees came from HD this year for 11.99 each at their spring black friday event. Got a dwarf Macintosh, red delicious and yellow delicious. Plus a moonglow pear (semidwarf) which is blooming, to my surprise and delight. The apple trees are small, leaves are starting but no flowers this year. 

I was just gifted a tiny fig tree for helping someone with some yard work. I am sooo excited now I need to read up on it. And figure out where to plant it. I hope maybe I can keep it in a large pot for a few years. I believe it has to come indoors for the winter.

Will share some photos as soon as I can figure out how to do it. Something has changed since last fall and I am no longer able to post pics to the forum from my phone.
lyndeeloo
lyndeeloo

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 5/12/2015, 1:15 pm

It's amazing how fast everything grows and how energetic I feel eating it again.  No more winter lethargy!

Yummy salads with onions and radishes: New England, May 2015 - Page 3 Photo_19

Baby collard & kale for smoothies: New England, May 2015 - Page 3 11263011_10206642652535779_4049578782376769935_n

New England, May 2015 - Page 3 1510511_10206642645015591_1888418294627132112_n

No asparagus for me this year...but next year Twisted Evil :
New England, May 2015 - Page 3 11062074_10206642650095718_586247851694433890_n

Tomatoes, basil, ground cherries and peppers awaiting warmer nights:
 New England, May 2015 - Page 3 11246364_10206642651255747_4820439363161441850_n

Mowed my lawn for the first time yesterday and we got drizzled on during the night.
I love you
CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/12/2015, 2:03 pm

Beautiful! Very Happy

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21531

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 5/12/2015, 2:14 pm

That's a candidate for Better Homes and Gardens right there! Pretty!

What are ground cherries? I never heard of them.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 5/12/2015, 6:04 pm

What a lovely beginning to the season.  All looks healthy.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  lyndeeloo 5/12/2015, 9:20 pm

Great pictures CC! Everything looks so good! Very Happy
lyndeeloo
lyndeeloo

Back to top Go down