Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
I think I may have added too many leaves to my compost pile Toplef10I think I may have added too many leaves to my compost pile 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

I think I may have added too many leaves to my compost pile I22gcj10I think I may have added too many leaves to my compost pile 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
I think I may have added too many leaves to my compost pile Toplef10I think I may have added too many leaves to my compost pile 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

I think I may have added too many leaves to my compost pile I22gcj10I think I may have added too many leaves to my compost pile 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Thu Sep 05, 2024 6:37 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener Thu Sep 05, 2024 2:01 pm

» adding compost yearly
by sanderson Thu Sep 05, 2024 2:16 am

» N & C Midwest: September 2024
by Scorpio Rising Wed Sep 04, 2024 9:30 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Mon Sep 02, 2024 3:10 pm

» N & C Midwest: August 2024
by OhioGardener Sat Aug 31, 2024 8:13 pm

» Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas
by middlemamma Fri Aug 30, 2024 2:04 am

» Article - Create a Seed Library to Share the Extras
by OhioGardener Mon Aug 26, 2024 4:09 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising Fri Aug 23, 2024 8:13 pm

» Best Tasting Parthenocarpic Cucumber?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Wed Aug 21, 2024 7:07 pm

» Pest Damage
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Wed Aug 21, 2024 11:24 am

» Winter Squash Arch
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Wed Aug 21, 2024 8:02 am

» Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries
by OhioGardener Mon Aug 19, 2024 10:09 am

» Looking for a local source for transplants.... Sarasota, FL
by sanderson Mon Aug 19, 2024 3:26 am

» Hi, y'all. I'm new to everything in Sarasota, FL
by sanderson Mon Aug 19, 2024 3:21 am

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener Wed Aug 14, 2024 5:47 pm

» Hi from N. Georgia
by AtlantaMarie Tue Aug 13, 2024 8:57 am

» Hello from Atlanta, Georgia
by sanderson Tue Aug 13, 2024 3:09 am

» growing tomatoes from seed outside
by sanderson Tue Aug 13, 2024 3:05 am

» 15-Minute Garlic Sautéed Eggplant
by Scorpio Rising Mon Aug 12, 2024 7:25 pm

» Downsizing Gardens for the Autumn of our lives
by Hollysmac Tue Aug 06, 2024 10:37 pm

» Golden Beets
by Scorpio Rising Tue Aug 06, 2024 7:03 pm

» Hi all!
by sanderson Tue Aug 06, 2024 12:56 am

» DIY Tomato Trellis for Birdie's Tall Raised beds
by sanderson Tue Aug 06, 2024 12:48 am

» Got zucchini? Toot your own horn!
by OhioGardener Mon Aug 05, 2024 9:17 am

» Compost not hot
by Aintyergrandpaschickenpoo Mon Aug 05, 2024 8:29 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by nrstooge Thu Aug 01, 2024 6:57 am

» Zucchini Cobbler
by sanderson Thu Jul 25, 2024 11:38 pm

» Vertical Zucchini
by sanderson Thu Jul 25, 2024 11:34 pm

» Cover Crops to Kill Nematodes
by dstack Thu Jul 18, 2024 5:43 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

I think I may have added too many leaves to my compost pile

3 posters

Go down

I think I may have added too many leaves to my compost pile Empty I think I may have added too many leaves to my compost pile

Post  Davidaaron Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:54 am

I started my hot compost pile about three weeks ago, and during my first two turns the smell was extremely bad. It lingered throughout the day, and I did not want to offend my neighbors. I ended up adding a good deal of dead leaves to the mix to try to combat the smell. Well, it worked (or the compost pile was just doing its magic), but many of the leaves/pine needles aren’t composting. I went out to turn it this morning and the temperature has dropped from hovering around 150 degrees to 115. Any advice on what I might be able to do? I do have a significant amount of composted horse manure. Should I add it? I also have some left over blood meal. Thanks in advance for helping out this composting newb.

Dave
Davidaaron
Davidaaron

Back to top Go down

I think I may have added too many leaves to my compost pile Empty Re: I think I may have added too many leaves to my compost pile

Post  Triciasgarden Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:49 am

If the leaves were whole when you added them, they take longer to break down.  Pine needles are very slow to break down and would be better used on a pile that you can allow a longer time before you use it.

So you start off hot like your pile was, when it starts to cool down, after about 3-4 days, you then need to rebuild it, moving what was on the outside to the inside and what was on the inside to the outside.  This is best done by rebuilding it next to the existing pile.  It will heat up again, but not as high as your first peak.  I would recommend that you continue to turn it every 2-4 days.  It will peak and cool in cycles but will not go to the highest it was in the beginning.

It is done when you cannot identify any individual ingredient in your pile.  If your pile seems to be done but you still have some chunks, you can sift them out and add them to a new pile.  A lot of people do this instead of waiting for the bigger chunks to finish up.

What I have done regarding the smell, I cover my pile with plastic.  It was probably the right thing to do that you added more leaves.
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1633

Back to top Go down

I think I may have added too many leaves to my compost pile Empty Re: I think I may have added too many leaves to my compost pile

Post  littlesapphire Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:30 pm

Congrats on getting your pile so hot!  I find it kind of hard to do hot piles; mostly I do cold compost, which works well for me but takes about a year to finish (which is fine, since I only need a lot of it once a year).  I've read several places that tree leaves won't start breaking down no matter what you do until they've had time to leach out their tannins, which usually happens over the winter months.  So I'm wondering if the leaves you put into the pile were new dead leaves (as in, freshly fallen), or leaves that have been sitting around for a few months. 

Also, it seems to me like leaves just take a little longer to break down completely anyway.  Keep at it, like Tricia said, keep turning it, and I'm sure it'll start to look good.  Letting it sit for a few weeks after it's finished to cure always helps my compost as well.
littlesapphire
littlesapphire

Female Posts : 825

http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down