Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 28 Toplef10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 28 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 28 I22gcj10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 28 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 28 Toplef10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 28 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 28 I22gcj10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 28 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener Today at 4:44 pm

» Spring Flowers
by sanderson Today at 4:12 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by sanderson Today at 4:10 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

What are you eating from your garden today?

+77
professorm
Ginger Blue
Judy McConnell
StrongAsMeat
walshevak
No_Such_Reality
lopez
ralitaco
GrowRunner
MrBooker
littlejo
Zmoore
FeedMeSeeMore
p14shooter
landarch
BeetlesPerSqFt
bigdogrock
countrynaturals
littlesapphire
CotheK
WindAndVane
Swilliams0416
reynajrainwater
Mimi2
donnainzone5
greatgranny
Scorpio Rising
MackerelSky
kauairosina
Goosegirl
Marc Iverson
CapeCoddess
CitizenKate
Dadoo
vortex
trolleydriver
Mikesgardn
mschaef
hokie_paw
mollyhespra
momvet
NanSFG
Rahab222
bbroomm
nosmok
TinySpock
Razed Bed
quiltbea
Triciasgarden
Dunkinjean
sfg4uKim
steve638
NAR56
martha
Cajun Cappy
Windmere
AtlantaMarie
dstack
southern gardener
plantoid
johnp
cyclonegardener
audrey.jeanne.roberts
Kelejan
sfgteachers
Turan
GloriaG
Cherbear
Denese
floyd1440
yolos
llama momma
FamilyGardening
herblover
meatburner
brainchasm
camprn
81 posters

Page 28 of 40 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 34 ... 40  Next

Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 28 Empty Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  Scorpio Rising 6/21/2016, 6:53 pm

OK, CN, I have heard of those yard long beans. They don't taste like asparagus, then? They do look fun!

FeedMe: What went wrong with the lettuce? What varieties did you try? Had you had luck previously with the same seeds?I tried valiantly to get some Ruby crunch lettuce to germinate this year. Zero, zip, nada. Out of 16 starter squares, not a single Ruby Crunch to be seen! Unreal. So I planted black seeded Simpson and Matchless. They did well, esp. Matchless! All germinated, and formed nice loose heads.

Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8737

Back to top Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 28 Empty Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  CapeCoddess 6/22/2016, 9:22 am

Buttercrunch lettuce, asparagus and strawberries.
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 28 Img_2015
The sugar snap peas didn't make it into the house. But I'm heading back out there what's a bowl this time to pick some more strawberries, etc.
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Cajun Cappy 6/22/2016, 1:35 pm

Supper last night was amazing!  a fresh picked salad with some sauteed long beans and fresh caught fish.
Cajun Cappy
Cajun Cappy

Male Posts : 662

http://cappyandpegody.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  FeedMeSeeMore 6/22/2016, 7:25 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:
FeedMe:  What went wrong with the lettuce?  What varieties did you try?  Had you had luck previously with the same seeds?I tried valiantly to get some Ruby crunch lettuce to germinate this year.  Zero, zip, nada.  Out of 16 starter squares, not a single Ruby Crunch to be seen!  Unreal.  So I planted black seeded Simpson and Matchless.  They did well, esp. Matchless!  All germinated, and formed nice loose heads.  

Not sure. Last year, which would have been my second year growing any vegetables ever, I had a real problem with damping off, both starting indoors and direct planting in the beds. Kept trying until it got too hot. This year I'm guessing I just started them too late. My theory is start inside or out, but before the awful heats starts, so that the plants can establish a strong root system before the heat hits. We had higher temps earlier this year. I might try again in the fall.
I have tried: Black Seeded Simpson, Cos Romaine (great the first year), Marvel of Four Seasons, Swiss Chard both Lucullus (great the first year) and a red stemmed variety.
I put some chard seeds in jiffy pots on the porch. Not one germinated. I dug down and there it was, just sitting there. Had not even attempted to germinate. The romaine came right up in them and when I transplanted them, they stopped growing; literally.
the southern heat can be too much for some things I'm finding out.
FeedMeSeeMore
FeedMeSeeMore

Female Posts : 143

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 6/22/2016, 9:31 pm

FeedMeSeeMore wrote:
Scorpio Rising wrote:
FeedMe:  What went wrong with the lettuce?  What varieties did you try?  Had you had luck previously with the same seeds?I tried valiantly to get some Ruby crunch lettuce to germinate this year.  Zero, zip, nada.  Out of 16 starter squares, not a single Ruby Crunch to be seen!  Unreal.  So I planted black seeded Simpson and Matchless.  They did well, esp. Matchless!  All germinated, and formed nice loose heads.  

Not sure. Last year, which would have been my second year growing any vegetables ever, I had a real problem with damping off, both starting indoors and direct planting in the beds. Kept trying until it got too hot. This year I'm guessing I just started them too late. My theory is start inside or out, but before the awful heats starts, so that the plants can establish a strong root system before the heat hits. We had higher temps earlier this year. I might try again in the fall.
I have tried: Black Seeded Simpson, Cos Romaine (great the first year), Marvel of Four Seasons, Swiss Chard both Lucullus (great the first year) and a red stemmed variety.
I put some chard seeds in jiffy pots on the porch. Not one germinated. I dug down and there it was, just sitting there. Had not even attempted to germinate. The romaine came right up in them and when I transplanted them, they stopped growing; literally.
the southern heat can be too much for some things I'm finding out.

Right. The heat definitely hits the kill switch on the lettuces, spinach, most leaves but maybe kale. You probably need to make notes and adjust your schedule. I used for the first time an app on mt iPad called Jiffys. It tells you to put your location in and prompts planting tips! Pretty dang accurate! Better than my well meaning co workers!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 6/23/2016, 8:56 pm

Just packed a salad (in an amazing prepared-mode that I almost never achieve) with Matchless lettuce, Dwarf Blue Vates kale, sugar snaps, and Tokyo Cross turnips from garden; baby carrots and broc from store, blue cheese crumbles with balsamic vinaigrette and black olives.

Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  NanSFG 6/24/2016, 2:35 pm

WOW!  That's a great idea. What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 28 3170584802
NanSFG
NanSFG

Female Posts : 71

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 6/24/2016, 10:36 pm

Nan, I have all these leaves that came on at the same time! Gotta be better at planning, or they will go to the wayside! Not my strong suit. It was very tasty...needed croutons....lol
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 6/24/2016, 10:51 pm

1st zuke! Cut it up, added some kale, boiled it in water seasoned with ham base, drained it, garnished with hard-boiled egg (from our own chickens). It was YUMMY! Cool
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate 6/25/2016, 10:20 am

Got a LOT coming from the garden now...

Pulled in the rest of the potatoes and will be frying some for Saturday brunch with some onion (also from the garden), green peppers, eggs, and corned beef.

Got the rest of the carrots in, and the flavor is just amazing.  So sweet, none of that usual bitter undertone that you get from store carrots.  I always thought that was a normal flavor for carrots.  I've spent my whole life hating carrots - I have always forced myself to eat them because they're good for you - but if I had gotten to try home-grown earlier in life, I probably would have eaten a lot more of them.

TOE-MATERS!!!  Finally getting tomatoes off the bushes and vines - yippeee!!!  The first were my Sweet 100 cherry tomatoes, the mighty sweets quickly followed, and now the Early Girls and BushSteaks are just about ready to start coming off.

rahrah
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate 6/25/2016, 10:22 am

Actually - I said "finally", but this is the earliest I've ever gotten ripe tomatoes, by about 3 weeks.
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 6/25/2016, 2:32 pm

Lunch was a veggie burger on Marvel of the Four Seasons lettuce instead of a bun, with garlic and onion scapes, and a side of strawberries.What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 28 Img_2028
What a Face
CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 6/25/2016, 7:37 pm

Sugar snaps and Tokyo Cross turnips, with grilled out burgs and baby carrots and broc from store.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 6/26/2016, 10:37 am

Stolen blackberries that hubby lured through the neighbor's fence to our side. Twisted Evil
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate 6/26/2016, 2:31 pm

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 28 First-11
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 6/26/2016, 2:36 pm

OMG!  I can actually taste that BLT!!! drooling
CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 28 Empty what are you eating from your garden?

Post  kauairosina 6/26/2016, 2:51 pm

Lots and lots of green beans made into a casserole with turkey bacon and a cheese sauce with onions, plus barbecued long purple eggplants, barbecued turnips, pickled  chayote.
kauairosina
kauairosina

Female Posts : 656

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate 6/26/2016, 2:56 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:OMG!  I can actually taste that BLT!!!  drooling
CC
Doesn't leave much to the imagination, does it? *BURRRRRAP* Oh, excuse me! Shocked
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate 6/26/2016, 2:57 pm

kauairosina wrote:Lots and lots of green beans made into a casserole with turkey bacon and a cheese sauce with onions, plus barbecued long purple eggplants, barbecued turnips, pickled  chayote.
Green bean casserole - one of my favorites!
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  MrBooker 6/26/2016, 3:45 pm

Since I'm a grill guy, I'm going to grill some sliced yellow and green zucchini in foil with bell pepper and onion and who knows, I might throw in some carrots and maybe put a potato or two in foil with some butter and chives.
      I was grilling a pork roast yesterday and all of a sudden the sky turned dark and we wound up getting 1.7 inches of rain after a few weeks in the mid 90's.
           The rain felt so good, I stayed out in it and got soaked all the way down to my socks. The day before, I had just emptied my 3 rain barrels and flushed them out. Believe it or not, I got over 200 gallons of rain water in my barrels  with the 1.7 inches of rain.   It's going to be in the mid 90's again today with a heat index of 105 deg. (But I'm still grill'n)
MrBooker
MrBooker

Male Posts : 736

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco 6/26/2016, 4:10 pm

My wife FINALLY got her fresh from the vine, tomato sandwich.
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 28 Tomato10

And the other night, she cut the top off a freshly picked pepper to a pleasant surprise
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 28 Happy_10
ralitaco
ralitaco

Male Posts : 1314

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 6/26/2016, 4:25 pm

I love you the happy face, ralitaco. Cool
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 6/26/2016, 6:36 pm

CitizenKate wrote:What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 28 First-11

So....beautiful....it is why I garden....so superficial of me but it's true..... I love you
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  ralitaco 6/26/2016, 6:47 pm

countrynaturals wrote:I love you the happy face, ralitaco. Cool
I thought my DW scratched it into the pepper because I told her it was too soon to pick it but she showed me the other half. It was just where the stem connected to the pepper
ralitaco
ralitaco

Male Posts : 1314

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 6/26/2016, 7:02 pm

ralitaco wrote:My wife FINALLY got her fresh from the vine, tomato sandwich.
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 28 Tomato10

And the other night, she cut the top off a freshly picked pepper to a pleasant surprise
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 28 Happy_10

It is an omen! Lol What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 28 3170584802

Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 28 of 40 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 34 ... 40  Next