Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 16 Toplef10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 16 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 16 I22gcj10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 16 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 16 Toplef10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 16 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 16 I22gcj10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 16 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by JAM23 Today at 6:59 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:26 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 5/6/2024, 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

What are you eating from your garden today?

+77
professorm
Ginger Blue
Judy McConnell
StrongAsMeat
walshevak
No_Such_Reality
lopez
ralitaco
GrowRunner
MrBooker
littlejo
Zmoore
FeedMeSeeMore
p14shooter
landarch
BeetlesPerSqFt
bigdogrock
countrynaturals
littlesapphire
CotheK
WindAndVane
Swilliams0416
reynajrainwater
Mimi2
donnainzone5
greatgranny
Scorpio Rising
MackerelSky
kauairosina
Goosegirl
Marc Iverson
CapeCoddess
CitizenKate
Dadoo
vortex
trolleydriver
Mikesgardn
mschaef
hokie_paw
mollyhespra
momvet
NanSFG
Rahab222
bbroomm
nosmok
TinySpock
Razed Bed
quiltbea
Triciasgarden
Dunkinjean
sfg4uKim
steve638
NAR56
martha
Cajun Cappy
Windmere
AtlantaMarie
dstack
southern gardener
plantoid
johnp
cyclonegardener
audrey.jeanne.roberts
Kelejan
sfgteachers
Turan
GloriaG
Cherbear
Denese
floyd1440
yolos
llama momma
FamilyGardening
herblover
meatburner
brainchasm
camprn
81 posters

Page 16 of 40 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 28 ... 40  Next

Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 16 Empty Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  Scorpio Rising 9/21/2015, 5:53 pm

John, can you post the recipe for the soup?
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8730

Back to top Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 16 Empty Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  johnp 9/21/2015, 6:29 pm

I will post the recipe, I just have to find it. the original calls for pumpkin but we substituted the squash.
johnp
johnp

Male Posts : 644

Back to top Go down

Post  johnp 9/21/2015, 7:05 pm

I found the recipe but it is to long to recopy. Find it at Rachael Ray Show- Pumpkin, cheddar and Chipotle Soup. Please note we modified it a lot. Double the chipotle, used less cheese, used more squash etc. It is from several years ago I believe.
johnp
johnp

Back to top Go down

Post  reynajrainwater 9/25/2015, 10:35 pm

Very Happy Eggplant. It's growing like crazy right now.
reynajrainwater
reynajrainwater

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 9/26/2015, 1:55 am

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 16 3170584802   Mine just never really took off this year.  Sad

Tuesday night I roasted some green beans, garlic, onions (store) little toms and various peppers. I thought I would toss in a couple paprika peppers. I don't understand what I did wrong (wrong labels?) but I took a full bite and about burned my nose hair and bangs. HOT Does anyone know if roasted paprika peppers are hot? I dried and ground them for powder and I didn't think they were hot at all.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21554

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  johnp 9/27/2015, 11:21 am

Since we have been awash with tomatoes this year, several days ago we made another tomato tart. Made with pie dough, Dijon mustard on the bottom, layer of Gruyere cheese and I/2 inch slices of tomatoes with herbs sprinkled over. Good but to many calorie's. Next time will try it on flat bread. Today I cooked bacon for breakfast so the lunch will be bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwiches on asiago, basil bread we picked up at the harvest fest. yesterday. Can't wait Laughing
johnp
johnp

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 9/30/2015, 2:57 pm

Crock pot slow cooked pork chops with buttered mashed potatoes .

Done with home grown fresh carrots , parsnips , garlic & onions , also made with a cooking apple & some butternut squash from the green grocers.

We also used a pint of canned Po Soup that I made several months ago for the stock it is now just a mild version of the original I made . .

I didn't realise how much the fantastic Vietnamese Po soup  flavour reduced a few months after pressure canning .. we still have another nine canned  pints to use up as cooking stock
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 9/30/2015, 3:42 pm

OMG...never thought of doing pork chops in the crock pot.  What a great idea so they won't be dry.

Still drinking smoothies and eating pizza piles here.  At lunch I had a cuke, cherry maters & a carrot.  
Tonights dinner menu: Zucchini 'pasta' w/ a side of baked butternut squash & sauteed swiss chard w/ garlic & onions.
What a Face
CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 9/30/2015, 5:26 pm

Crock pot beef chuck with a bunch of halved cherry tomatoes from the garden, pepper from Krogers, spices. Will add Swiss chard leaves chopped, cooked rotini, and serve with parmesan cheese for supper. And garlic!

Reserving 1/2 of the beef mixture for lasagna roll-ups later this week/weekend, maybe Sunday night. So will probably freeze beef mix.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  greatgranny 10/3/2015, 7:50 pm

Ate the first brussel sprouts for supper.  Oh my gosh, it was so good.  I won't harvest all of them because the hard frost has not hit here yet but I just had to try it.  My first year growing them. 

Used my Mom's recipe that she always used for cabbage.  Great casserole.
greatgranny
greatgranny

Female Posts : 661

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 10/11/2015, 4:50 pm

Beets, taters, carrots, parsnips, butternut squash, garlic, tomatoes, scallions and peppers, all from the garden.  Added some onions and frozen brussels.  Spritzed with Dr. Bragg's aminos and coconut oil. Tossed.
Roasting now!
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 16 Img_2022
What a Face
CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 10/11/2015, 5:22 pm

Beautiful, CC, so colorful!

GG, can you post the recipe for cabbage casserole?
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  meatburner 10/11/2015, 5:30 pm

CC, can't wait to see the finished product fresh out of the oven. Looks fantastic!
meatburner
meatburner

Male Posts : 362

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 10/11/2015, 6:01 pm

meatburner wrote:CC, can't wait to see the finished product fresh out of the oven. Looks fantastic!

Woops, all gone. I didn't even think to show it caramelized and steaming from the oven. The two of us ate the whole tray!
I'll be sure to grab the 'after' photo of the next batch.
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  greatgranny 10/11/2015, 7:27 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:
meatburner wrote:CC, can't wait to see the finished product fresh out of the oven.  Looks fantastic!

Woops, all gone.  I didn't even think to show it caramelized and steaming from the oven.  The two of us ate the whole tray!
Looks so delicious. 

I made a tomato cake earlier and shared some of it with a granddaughter her husband and her children.  The rest is frozen for another day.  Wow, so good.
greatgranny
greatgranny

Back to top Go down

Post  johnp 10/12/2015, 8:07 am

This morning I had the last of my raspberries on my cereal. Yesterday I made the  last batch of V-8 for the season. We also made spaghetti sauce last night to have over the first spaghetti squash. Also picked the first Egyptian pumpkin, looks like a giant butternut. Will try to remember to post a picture.
johnp
johnp

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/12/2015, 12:59 pm

Oh, how I miss fresh veggies on this trip. :-(

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  trolleydriver 10/12/2015, 3:30 pm

We have our son and his family visiting today for the Canadian Thanksgiving. I took the two grandchildren (boy almost 8 and girl 5) out into the garden to pick some snap peas from the SFG and some raspberries from the regular garden. They love to pick and eat fresh things like that. It's a beautiful day here in Ottawa with temperature at 23 C (74 F).
trolleydriver

Forum Moderator

Male Posts : 5395

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 10/12/2015, 6:18 pm

greatgranny wrote:
CapeCoddess wrote:
meatburner wrote:CC, can't wait to see the finished product fresh out of the oven.  Looks fantastic!

Woops, all gone.  I didn't even think to show it caramelized and steaming from the oven.  The two of us ate the whole tray!
Looks so delicious. 

I made a tomato cake earlier and shared some of it with a granddaughter her husband and her children.  The rest is frozen for another day.  Wow, so good.

OK, GG, gotta dish with the recipes! Cabbage casserole, tomato cake? Just sayin'!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  greatgranny 10/13/2015, 5:36 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:OK,  GG, gotta dish with the recipes!  Cabbage casserole, tomato cake?  Just sayin'!

Fresh Tomato Cake With Cream Cheese Frosting
In the 1930s, tomato soup cakes were all the rage, yet they were a mystery because they did not taste like tomato soup. Make your tomato cake with ripe tomatoes from your own garden!
CAKE:
1 cup dark-brown sugar
1/2 cup shortening
2 eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon nutmeg
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups peeled, seeded, and chopped ripe tomatoes
1/2 cup chopped nuts
1/2 cup chopped dates
1/2 cup chopped raisins

FROSTING:
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 package (1 pound) confectioners’ sugar
milk, as needed

For cake: Preheat the oven to 350° F. Grease and flour a 13x9-inch baking pan. In a large bowl, combine the sugar and shortening and mix until creamy. Add the eggs, beating after each. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, and salt. Sift the dry ingredients into the creamed mixture and stir to blend. Add the tomatoes, nuts, dates, and raisins and stir thoroughly. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool.
For frosting: In a large bowl, combine the butter, cream cheese, and vanilla and mix until creamy. Gradually beat in the sugar. If the mixture becomes too thick, add a little milk. Frost when the cake is cool. Makes 12 servings.
greatgranny
greatgranny

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 10/13/2015, 5:49 pm

Very interesting, never heard of them! Will try this weekend! Thanks!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  greatgranny 10/13/2015, 5:54 pm

Was about to add the other recipe but it didn't go through.  So, if there is a duplicate, I will delete it later.

Savory Cabbage 

INGREDIENTS
1 head cabbage
1 tablespoon flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
3/4 cup cream
4 - 5 strips bacon

INSTRUCTIONS

Shred cabbage and place in shallow, greased baking dish.  Mix together dry ingredients and blend with cream.  Pour over cabbage and cover with bacon strips.  Cover and bake 30 minutes.  350 degree oven.
greatgranny
greatgranny

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 10/13/2015, 8:29 pm

greatgranny wrote:Was about to add the other recipe but it didn't go through.  So, if there is a duplicate, I will delete it later.

Savory Cabbage 

INGREDIENTS
1 head cabbage
1 tablespoon flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
3/4 cup cream
4 - 5 strips bacon

INSTRUCTIONS

Shred cabbage and place in shallow, greased baking dish.  Mix together dry ingredients and blend with cream.  Pour over cabbage and cover with bacon strips.  Cover and bake 30 minutes.  350 degree oven.

Almost a scallop, thank you sooooo much, GG, My family and I will enjoy these both, love traditional recipes that are passed down. My mom died when I was in college, so I have relied on my big sis for a lot of our "grow in' up" recipes.

thanks
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/14/2015, 1:30 am

Greatgranny, Would you like to post these recipes to our Recipe sub-Forum?

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 10/14/2015, 6:35 am

Ooops, sorry, Sanderson, I am the one who asked for them. Should they be moved?
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 16 of 40 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 28 ... 40  Next