Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 9 Toplef10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 9 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 9 I22gcj10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 9 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 9 Toplef10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 9 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 9 I22gcj10What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 9 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener Today at 4:44 pm

» Spring Flowers
by sanderson Today at 4:12 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by sanderson Today at 4:10 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

What are you eating from your garden today?

+77
professorm
Ginger Blue
Judy McConnell
StrongAsMeat
walshevak
No_Such_Reality
lopez
ralitaco
GrowRunner
MrBooker
littlejo
Zmoore
FeedMeSeeMore
p14shooter
landarch
BeetlesPerSqFt
bigdogrock
countrynaturals
littlesapphire
CotheK
WindAndVane
Swilliams0416
reynajrainwater
Mimi2
donnainzone5
greatgranny
Scorpio Rising
MackerelSky
kauairosina
Goosegirl
Marc Iverson
CapeCoddess
CitizenKate
Dadoo
vortex
trolleydriver
Mikesgardn
mschaef
hokie_paw
mollyhespra
momvet
NanSFG
Rahab222
bbroomm
nosmok
TinySpock
Razed Bed
quiltbea
Triciasgarden
Dunkinjean
sfg4uKim
steve638
NAR56
martha
Cajun Cappy
Windmere
AtlantaMarie
dstack
southern gardener
plantoid
johnp
cyclonegardener
audrey.jeanne.roberts
Kelejan
sfgteachers
Turan
GloriaG
Cherbear
Denese
floyd1440
yolos
llama momma
FamilyGardening
herblover
meatburner
brainchasm
camprn
81 posters

Page 9 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 24 ... 40  Next

Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 9 Empty Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  mschaef 7/2/2015, 4:23 pm

Tomatoes, green beans and cucumbers. What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 9 3170584802
mschaef
mschaef

Female Posts : 598

Back to top Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 9 Empty Re: What are you eating from your garden today?

Post  MackerelSky 7/5/2015, 4:02 am

I decided to go poking around under the blossoms of the potato plants on our nation's birthday.

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 9 Img_7810

and came away with a nice meal. Had a couple of split ones, not sure if it was the amount of rain we had in June(6.30") or what, but they were sure tasty

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 9 Img_7910

Hope everyone had a great 4th
Brad
MackerelSky
MackerelSky

Male Posts : 73

http://www.McKeanWeather.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/5/2015, 4:48 am

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 9 3170584802

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21564

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 7/6/2015, 11:10 pm

zucchini chips, lemon cucumbers, tomatoes and still lettuce (fingers crossed it can survive our heat).
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 7/6/2015, 11:16 pm

Broccoli and sugar snap peas.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/7/2015, 2:47 am

Lemon cucumbers! So far, zero lemon cucumbers. But, lucky to get 4 naturally pollinated pickling cucumbers. Even over ripe, big and yellow, they are mild. First success of any cucumber.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  NanSFG 7/7/2015, 2:23 pm

sanderson wrote:Lemon cucumbers!  So far, zero lemon cucumbers.  But, lucky to get 4 naturally pollinated pickling cucumbers.  Even over ripe, big and yellow, they are mild.  First success of any cucumber.

Congratulations on your success with cucumber!  What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 9 3170584802
NanSFG
NanSFG

Female Posts : 71

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 7/7/2015, 3:09 pm

Yeah grats! I find them so sensitive to cucumber beetles and the bacterial wilt they carry that even if I get some initial success, it's only a rare plant that gets through and produces much of anything. Heck, most die within a couple of days from bacterial wilt or become so withered and stunted there's hardly a plant left to speak of. Good thing somebody is having some success with cukes, because they ain't easy!
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 7/12/2015, 7:42 pm

Roasted beets!!!!!!!
floyd1440
floyd1440

Male Posts : 815

Back to top Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 9 Empty Beets

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/12/2015, 7:45 pm

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 9 Imagejpeg
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8737

Back to top Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 9 Empty First pickle cuke harvest

Post  CitizenKate 7/12/2015, 10:58 pm

My pickle bushes yielded their first harvest today - 4, to be exact.  Just enough to make one pint jar of refrigerator pickles.  20 minutes out of the garden they were pickles.  Talk about fresh.  The recipe recommends letting them sit in the fridge for a few weeks before serving... not gonna happen.  They might last, ohhh... 3 days, tops.

drooling

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 9 Cannin10
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 9 Empty Beets!

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/13/2015, 7:42 am

What are you eating from your garden today? - Page 9 Imagejpeg
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/13/2015, 10:07 am

Kate, Did you give it a water bath or is this just a cold pickling?

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 7/13/2015, 11:25 am

Hey, Kate, please post your recipe for making those pickles.  I want to be ready when mine start growing.  They are just short vines here in Maine right now.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  Cajun Cappy 7/13/2015, 11:45 am

Yesterday we fired up the BBQ pit and we had some butternut squash and yard long beans from our yard and some speckled corn from our friends garden.  It was a wonderful group to side our chicken.  I'll try to make a blog about it and show yall all the good smoked veggies Smile
Cajun Cappy
Cajun Cappy

Male Posts : 662

http://cappyandpegody.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/13/2015, 6:18 pm

I can't post pictures....not getting steps, I have only an iPad.thinking

Last edited by Scorpio Rising on 7/13/2015, 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Cannot post pics....wahhhhhhh)
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  greatgranny 7/13/2015, 6:28 pm

Pulled a few beets, a large kohlrabi and a few shelling peas.  The beets and kohlrabi are going to be cultured.
greatgranny
greatgranny

Female Posts : 661

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate 7/13/2015, 7:27 pm

sanderson wrote:Kate,  Did you give it a water bath or is this just a cold pickling?
Cold pickling... I heat my jar(s), boil the brine mix, pack raw cucumbers into the jar, pour boiling brine into the jar until the cucumbers are submerged, put the lid on, and let them cool.  The brine boils in the jar for maybe 10-15 seconds, then starts cooling down.  After cooling at room temp for a spell, they get stored in the refrigerator.

This is really fast and easy if you only have a few and you know you're going to snarf them down as soon as they're ready to serve.

When I start getting larger amounts of cucumbers all at once and want to store them longer without refrigeration, then I'll use the water bath method to pickle them.

The plants are really starting to get going now, so I should be getting a ton of them in another week or two.
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  CitizenKate 7/13/2015, 7:48 pm

quiltbea wrote:Hey, Kate, please post your recipe for making those pickles.  I want to be ready when mine start growing.  They are just short vines here in Maine right now.
The only "recipe" I've used for the brine to make dill pickles so far is Ball's kosher dill pickle mix, and I'm pretty happy with it.
CitizenKate
CitizenKate

Back to top Go down

Post  Mikesgardn 7/13/2015, 8:24 pm

Just harvested and ate my first "pineapple" tomato.  Delicious.
Mikesgardn
Mikesgardn

Male Posts : 286

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 7/13/2015, 11:25 pm

I'd really like to try those sometime. That sounds so cool.

I grew a pineapple tomatillo last year, but even though it was surrounded by other tomatillos, none of the jillion little blossoms turned into a fruit.

How much like a pineapple did it really taste?
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  Razed Bed 7/14/2015, 10:29 am

Disappointment:  I had some Swiss chard last night, and it no longer has any flavor.  It is not bitter, but it was like eating solid water.

This morning, I put a few mustard green leaves in my smoothie.  They are the only greens left in the garden.

My neighbor came over for a basket full of Mortgage Lifters.  They are doing okay in this heat, and I gave her about 8 that were in the 1 1/2 to 2 pound range.

I noticed that our low temperature last night was 82!  Today may be the worst one yet with actual temps between 100 and 105 with humidity pushing the heat index well above 110 and maybe to 120.

We have severe weather forecasted to happen twice today:  once around Noon and once in the late evening.

I just came in after the morning iced chai tea and wearing the cooling towel, and my wife could feel the outside heat on my arms without actually touching them.

I can only imagine what it must be like to live in the part of Northern California where the temperature is always like late March here.  Sunny with 70 and 55 are excellent hi-low extremes.  We get that maybe 10 days a year, but 8 are not during the growing season.
Razed Bed

Male Posts : 243

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/14/2015, 1:11 pm

Razed, Your weather sounds yucky right now! Just to clarify, there are inland areas of So. Cal. that are just as hot as the area I live in. We are going to the coast tomorrow where the weather is delightful. That's what folks in the Valley do for heat relief. The hotter the inland, the foggier and cooler the coast.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Razed Bed 7/14/2015, 10:46 pm

Sanderson, I feel worse for your water needs out there in California than the miserable conditions that we have to endure here.  It scares me to think that I would not have potable water when I am in need of such.

Still, when my friends in Sonoma brag to me about how incredible it feels, and how they even use a space heater at night in July, I do envy their situation, until I get thirsty.

Today, it hit 100 on the weather gauge nearest our house,  but it quickly dropped when a severe thunderstorm swept through the area around 3 PM.  The temperature fell to the upper 70's, and wind and hail caused a lot of damage.

At one point, about 18,000 homes were without power as numerous power lines were knocked over by fallen trees or power lines.  This afternoon, my wife had to take two detours to get home from the hair salon to the house.  Traffic lights were out for a couple miles, and too many people did not know that they were supposed to treat them as 4-way stops.

This weather did affect my garden.  A large tree limb fell on top of one of my raised bed squares.  My wife says it is punishment for using "Razed Bed" as my moniker here, as that is exactly what I have now.
Razed Bed

Male Posts : 243

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/15/2015, 2:51 am

Cucumber and tomato, a miracle! Very Happy

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 40 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 24 ... 40  Next