Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Northern California & Coastal Valleys RH introduction Toplef10Northern California & Coastal Valleys RH introduction 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Northern California & Coastal Valleys RH introduction I22gcj10Northern California & Coastal Valleys RH introduction 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Northern California & Coastal Valleys RH introduction Toplef10Northern California & Coastal Valleys RH introduction 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Northern California & Coastal Valleys RH introduction I22gcj10Northern California & Coastal Valleys RH introduction 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Bokashi
by sanderson Today at 1:08 am

» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Today at 12:46 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Northern California & Coastal Valleys RH introduction

4 posters

Go down

Northern California & Coastal Valleys RH introduction Empty Northern California & Coastal Valleys RH introduction

Post  sanderson 11/11/2014, 1:54 am

Hi from Fresno in the Central or San Joaquin Valley of California, what has been called the "bread basket" of the US. Home of the Petaluma Seed Bank (Baker Creek) and the Heirloom Exposition.  This area has micro-climates like all Regions do, from the cooler coastal areas, the rice fields east of Sacramento, the citrus orchards of the low foothills to the flat lands of the northern Sacramento Valley and central San Joaquin Valley.  Sacramento north gets more rain than the southern Central Valley.  While water is a concern for agriculture in this region, it has been especially critical in the southern areas.Northern California & Coastal Valleys RH introduction No_cal10

I found SFG by accident last February, 2013, while Searching for gardening information.  By March, I had 4 small boxes filled with Mel's Mix.  As most of you know by now, I am retired so I have a lot of time for gardening and being a Moderator for this Forum.  All of my offspring live in the Sacramento area so I travel there to see them.  My challenge (besides being new to gardening in general), is to garden in a small city backyard, with neighbors' trees on the south and west sides, complete with spotty sunshine.  I design, my husband builds, and my cat eats the bean leaves, corn stalks, and young borage.  I love raised boxes (table tops), vertical growing, and Berkeley hot composting.  I hate slugs, snails, visiting cats, green caterpillars, spider mites, powdery mildew and the blistering summer heat with its unhealthy air quality.  Summer shade protection and lots of mulch are necessary to get through the summer where it can get over a hundred degrees for weeks.  What happens in Las Vegas, happens here.  HOT!  On the flip side, our winters allow year around gardening with protection during the freezes.

Happy gardening, folks happy hi

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Northern California & Coastal Valleys RH introduction Empty Re: Northern California & Coastal Valleys RH introduction

Post  Marc Iverson 11/11/2014, 5:38 am

Stop saying borage! I haven't grown that successfully yet.

Not sure what the purpose of this post is, since I and everybody else knows and loves you already, but anyway ... I'm all for it! Very Happy

I really enjoy your threads on your building projects.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Northern California & Coastal Valleys RH introduction Empty Re: Northern California & Coastal Valleys RH introduction

Post  llama momma 11/11/2014, 8:15 am

I missed something or you took on regional hosting duties too?  Congratulations! I enjoy your posts   cheers and look forward to more!
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/11/2014, 12:25 pm

Yes, Marie and I took on RH duties a few weeks ago but we had to wait for Rooster to return to officially list our names as RHs. Turan, Brainchasm and Marc have also volunteered within the last few days.

Any one else want to volunteer for a Region vacancy?? Very Happy

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 11/11/2014, 2:13 pm

Alas, I still work more than full time so I will simply continue trying to post as frequently as I can Very Happy

THANK YOU TO ALL THOSE WHO HAVE STEPPED UP to volunteer your time - you guys are the life blood of this site. I love you
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down