Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Pike Nursery Peachtree City - Suddenly removed EB Chicken Compost for safety reasons - Going to star to carry Black Hen Toplef10Pike Nursery Peachtree City - Suddenly removed EB Chicken Compost for safety reasons - Going to star to carry Black Hen 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Pike Nursery Peachtree City - Suddenly removed EB Chicken Compost for safety reasons - Going to star to carry Black Hen I22gcj10Pike Nursery Peachtree City - Suddenly removed EB Chicken Compost for safety reasons - Going to star to carry Black Hen 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Pike Nursery Peachtree City - Suddenly removed EB Chicken Compost for safety reasons - Going to star to carry Black Hen Toplef10Pike Nursery Peachtree City - Suddenly removed EB Chicken Compost for safety reasons - Going to star to carry Black Hen 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Pike Nursery Peachtree City - Suddenly removed EB Chicken Compost for safety reasons - Going to star to carry Black Hen I22gcj10Pike Nursery Peachtree City - Suddenly removed EB Chicken Compost for safety reasons - Going to star to carry Black Hen 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» source for chemical-free lanscape fabric
by Woodsong Yesterday at 10:51 am

» N & C Midwest: September 2024
by Scorpio Rising 9/18/2024, 3:04 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 9/17/2024, 3:12 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 9/17/2024, 3:07 pm

» Fall is For Garlic Planting
by Scorpio Rising 9/17/2024, 3:06 pm

» Hurricane
by sanderson 9/14/2024, 5:42 pm

» Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas
by sanderson 9/12/2024, 2:09 am

» Old Mulch and Closing Beds for Winter
by Scorpio Rising 9/11/2024, 8:23 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 9/11/2024, 8:20 pm

» Pest Damage
by WBIowa 9/8/2024, 2:48 pm

» cabbage moth?
by jemm 9/8/2024, 9:15 am

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 9/5/2024, 6:37 pm

» adding compost yearly
by sanderson 9/5/2024, 2:16 am

» N & C Midwest: August 2024
by OhioGardener 8/31/2024, 8:13 pm

» Article - Create a Seed Library to Share the Extras
by OhioGardener 8/26/2024, 4:09 pm

» Best Tasting Parthenocarpic Cucumber?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 7:07 pm

» Winter Squash Arch
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 8:02 am

» Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries
by OhioGardener 8/19/2024, 10:09 am

» Looking for a local source for transplants.... Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:26 am

» Hi, y'all. I'm new to everything in Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:21 am

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 8/14/2024, 5:47 pm

» Hi from N. Georgia
by AtlantaMarie 8/13/2024, 8:57 am

» Hello from Atlanta, Georgia
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:09 am

» growing tomatoes from seed outside
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:05 am

» 15-Minute Garlic Sautéed Eggplant
by Scorpio Rising 8/12/2024, 7:25 pm

» Downsizing Gardens for the Autumn of our lives
by Hollysmac 8/6/2024, 10:37 pm

» Golden Beets
by Scorpio Rising 8/6/2024, 7:03 pm

» Hi all!
by sanderson 8/6/2024, 12:56 am

» DIY Tomato Trellis for Birdie's Tall Raised beds
by sanderson 8/6/2024, 12:48 am

» Got zucchini? Toot your own horn!
by OhioGardener 8/5/2024, 9:17 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Pike Nursery Peachtree City - Suddenly removed EB Chicken Compost for safety reasons - Going to star to carry Black Hen

5 posters

Go down

Pike Nursery Peachtree City - Suddenly removed EB Chicken Compost for safety reasons - Going to star to carry Black Hen Empty Pike Nursery Peachtree City - Suddenly removed EB Chicken Compost for safety reasons - Going to star to carry Black Hen

Post  Windmere 9/4/2014, 11:23 am

Hello all my fellow Middle Georgians and everyone else interested,

Yolos recently learned that Pike Nursery suddenly pulled all bags of EB Chicken Compost off the shelves.  Today I spoke to a lady at Pike about this.  She told me the "rumor" is that a one bag of the EB composted chicken manure was found to contain a "bacteria."  So, they immediately pulled all bags off the shelves.

On the bright side, she told me that they are going to begin carrying Black Hen.  The Pike representative tried to find out when they would actually start selling Black Hen, but after a long hold, she came back and said no one knew.  It's nice to know that at some point it will be obtainable.

For anyone interested, Pike Nursery, Peachtree City, GA phone number is:  (770) 632-9111
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1422

Back to top Go down

Pike Nursery Peachtree City - Suddenly removed EB Chicken Compost for safety reasons - Going to star to carry Black Hen Empty Re: Pike Nursery Peachtree City - Suddenly removed EB Chicken Compost for safety reasons - Going to star to carry Black Hen

Post  walshevak 9/4/2014, 11:50 am

Must be something really dangerous, because all compost is full of bacteria.  I like and use Black Hen, but NEVER let it get wet in the bag.  ewwwww and gummy

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4370

Back to top Go down

Pike Nursery Peachtree City - Suddenly removed EB Chicken Compost for safety reasons - Going to star to carry Black Hen Empty Re: Pike Nursery Peachtree City - Suddenly removed EB Chicken Compost for safety reasons - Going to star to carry Black Hen

Post  camprn 9/4/2014, 11:59 am

Windmere wrote: Today I spoke to a lady at Pike about this.  She told me 'the "rumor" is that a one bag of the EB composted chicken manure was found to contain a "bacteria."   

What a bunch of crap.... this tells me they have either no reason to pull it or they have no idea what they are talking about in general.

http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/default.htm

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Pike Nursery Peachtree City - Suddenly removed EB Chicken Compost for safety reasons - Going to star to carry Black Hen WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14134

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Windmere 9/4/2014, 1:00 pm

camprn wrote:
Windmere wrote: Today I spoke to a lady at Pike about this.  She told me 'the "rumor" is that a one bag of the EB composted chicken manure was found to contain a "bacteria."   

What a bunch of crap.... this tells me they have either no reason to pull it or they have no idea what they are talking about in general.

http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/default.htm
I just e-mailed them for the official word regarding this matter.  I mentioned comment about all compost containing bacteria and I cited the FDA website.  I underscored that there is no report of a recall on the FDA website.

Thanks for the input on this.
Windmere
Windmere

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 9/4/2014, 1:24 pm

A couple of weeks ago I went to Pike's to get the EB Stone chicken compost which is my favorite.  The clerk told me that they received a telephone call from corporate and were told not to sell another bag.  They did that for a reason.  I do not know exactly what the reason was (will wait to here from Windmere), but believe me, they would not have done that if they didn't feel there was a good reason to pull the bags off the shelf.  So even if they were wrong in pulling them, I respect them for trying to do what they felt was best for their customers.  They have been carrying that brand of chicken compost all through the year for many years. Almost all their specialty fertilizers, lime etc are EB Stone variety.  A lot of the clerks at Pikes recommend that compost and use it themselves.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4139

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 9/4/2014, 2:23 pm

Whatever their motivation, they are being less than honest by promoting half truths.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Pike Nursery Peachtree City - Suddenly removed EB Chicken Compost for safety reasons - Going to star to carry Black Hen WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14134

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 9/7/2014, 1:29 am

I can only guess the poultry products/bi-products have tested positive for either salmonella, listeria, or one of many pathogens that can be a potential threat to humans. Feral pig droppings on a spinach field in California was responsible for the loss of lives due to a strain of killer E-coli. That's the hazard of putting your faith in your source of fertilizer- do you know where your bag of "Dr. Shloink's Miracle Poo" comes from? I will not use use it in the soil on root crops and definately will not use it as a foliar fertilizer. This may help you understand a little more:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/martha-rosenberg/contaminants-meat_b_4064701.html
Yardslave
Yardslave

Male Posts : 544

Back to top Go down

Pike Nursery Peachtree City - Suddenly removed EB Chicken Compost for safety reasons - Going to star to carry Black Hen Empty Swint's Chicken Compost

Post  Windmere 9/9/2014, 11:50 am

For folks in Middle Ga (yolos, AtlantaMarie, bnoles, etc) and all others interested:

Yesterday I was able to buy 4 bags of organic chicken compost from Swints.  Unfortunately it was 20 quarts for 5.99 (that's a bit pricy in my book).  One of the bags had a tear in it, so I picked up a few grains with my hand and I also smelled the compost.  It had a good texture and that nice earthy smell we look for.

Not word from Pike's regarding the sudden removal from their shelves of chicken compost.  Also, as of yesterday, they have not gotten a supply of Black Hen.
Windmere
Windmere

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down