Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What I've learned this year  - Page 2 Toplef10What I've learned this year  - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What I've learned this year  - Page 2 I22gcj10What I've learned this year  - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
What I've learned this year  - Page 2 Toplef10What I've learned this year  - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

What I've learned this year  - Page 2 I22gcj10What I've learned this year  - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest: October 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 4:46 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by donnainzone5 10/2/2024, 6:09 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 10/1/2024, 12:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: September 2024
by OhioGardener 9/30/2024, 4:13 pm

» The SFG Journey-Biowash
by OhioGardener 9/29/2024, 8:33 am

» Fall is For Garlic Planting
by Scorpio Rising 9/28/2024, 12:19 am

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 9/22/2024, 11:24 am

» source for chemical-free lanscape fabric
by Woodsong 9/19/2024, 10:51 am

» Hurricane
by sanderson 9/14/2024, 5:42 pm

» Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas
by sanderson 9/12/2024, 2:09 am

» Old Mulch and Closing Beds for Winter
by Scorpio Rising 9/11/2024, 8:23 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 9/11/2024, 8:20 pm

» Pest Damage
by WBIowa 9/8/2024, 2:48 pm

» cabbage moth?
by jemm 9/8/2024, 9:15 am

» adding compost yearly
by sanderson 9/5/2024, 2:16 am

» N & C Midwest: August 2024
by OhioGardener 8/31/2024, 8:13 pm

» Article - Create a Seed Library to Share the Extras
by OhioGardener 8/26/2024, 4:09 pm

» Best Tasting Parthenocarpic Cucumber?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 7:07 pm

» Winter Squash Arch
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 8:02 am

» Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries
by OhioGardener 8/19/2024, 10:09 am

» Looking for a local source for transplants.... Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:26 am

» Hi, y'all. I'm new to everything in Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:21 am

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 8/14/2024, 5:47 pm

» Hi from N. Georgia
by AtlantaMarie 8/13/2024, 8:57 am

» Hello from Atlanta, Georgia
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:09 am

» growing tomatoes from seed outside
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:05 am

» 15-Minute Garlic Sautéed Eggplant
by Scorpio Rising 8/12/2024, 7:25 pm

» Downsizing Gardens for the Autumn of our lives
by Hollysmac 8/6/2024, 10:37 pm

» Golden Beets
by Scorpio Rising 8/6/2024, 7:03 pm

» Hi all!
by sanderson 8/6/2024, 12:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

What I've learned this year

+18
MrBooker
countrynaturals
CitizenKate
Scorpio Rising
yolos
Robbomb116
hammock gal
BeetlesPerSqFt
trolleydriver
SwampTroll
herblover
CapeCoddess
DorothyG
sanderson
plantoid
Marc Iverson
walshevak
Judy McConnell
22 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

What I've learned this year  - Page 2 Empty Re: What I've learned this year

Post  countrynaturals 7/26/2017, 10:29 am

I learned not to over-water onions. Sadly, I had already killed 90% of them before I figured it out. Sad
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5697

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MrBooker 7/28/2017, 6:55 am

countrynaturals wrote:I learned not to over-water onions. Sadly, I had already killed 90% of them before I figured it out. Sad

Last year, I read somewhere to cut the tops off onions and it would force the bulbs to grow bigger. WRONG.....
I tried it last year and lost 100% of my onions.

The tops of the onions are hollow and will hold water after a rain and eventually the water will seep down into the bulb and rot it.

I don't water my onions as much (after the bulbs start to form) as I do the other veggies. Also, I hold back the water about a week before pulling the onions.
MrBooker
MrBooker

Male Posts : 732

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 7/28/2017, 9:57 am

MrBooker wrote:
countrynaturals wrote:I learned not to over-water onions. Sadly, I had already killed 90% of them before I figured it out. Sad

Last year, I read somewhere to cut the tops off onions and it would force the bulbs to grow bigger. WRONG.....

The tops of the onions are hollow and will hold water after a rain and eventually the water will seep down into the bulb and rot it.

I don't water my onions as much (after the bulbs start to form) as I do the other veggies. Also, I hold back the water about a week before pulling the onions.
Looks like I'm gonna get 3 little bulbs from this harvest. Sad Have you ever grown them from seed, MrB? I have seeds to try. I think I'll plant them today and see what happens. geek
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  MrBooker 7/28/2017, 10:01 am

countrynaturals wrote:
MrBooker wrote:

Looks like I'm gonna get 3 little bulbs from this harvest. Sad Have you ever grown them from seed, MrB? I have seeds to try. I think I'll plant them today and see what happens. geek
The only onion seeds I ever planted was the winter bunching onions. It just takes so long from seed to harvest.
MrBooker
MrBooker

Male Posts : 732

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 7/30/2017, 10:59 am

MrBooker wrote:The only onion seeds I ever planted was the winter bunching onions. It just takes so long from seed to harvest.

Same here -- and even those failed. This time I shook my fist at them to let them know I AM THE BOSS!  Twisted Evil
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 7/30/2017, 11:05 am

1) Don't waste time on sick or infested plants. Yank them and start over. Every plant I rescued from last winter's indoor spider mite infestation has turned out to be a disappointment. If they don't get off to a good start, they are always sickly.

2) Don't rush the planting season. If I plant seeds to early, and they start off leggy and weak, they never thrive. If I wait another month, and plant them at the right time, they catch up with the ones I planted too soon and leave them behind.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 7/30/2017, 1:32 pm

countrynaturals wrote:1) Don't waste time on sick or infested plants. Yank them and start over. Every plant I rescued from last winter's indoor spider mite infestation has turned out to be a disappointment. If they don't get off to a good start, they are always sickly.

2) Don't rush the planting season. If I plant seeds to early, and they start off leggy and weak, they never thrive. If I wait another month, and plant them at the right time, they catch up with the ones I planted too soon and leave them behind.

So right on both counts! Although I'm still guilty of trying to save the poor sad ones.
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 7/30/2017, 2:00 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:
countrynaturals wrote:1) Don't waste time on sick or infested plants. Yank them and start over. Every plant I rescued from last winter's indoor spider mite infestation has turned out to be a disappointment. If they don't get off to a good start, they are always sickly.

So right on both counts! Although I'm still guilty of trying to save the poor sad ones.
Same here, but I'm determined to practice what I preach. Razz
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 7/31/2017, 6:01 pm

I learned that garlic gets really tall!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8818

Back to top Go down

Post  Abiqua Ike 7/31/2017, 7:23 pm

I learned my plant support system works very well.

I learned I did not implement the system very well.

I learned I need MUCH taller cucumber obelisks.

I learned my tri-cone support is needed on more of my perennial tubs.

I learned if I grow tomatillos again, I will need to lash a really tall bamboo cage.

I learned to rip out the violas when the summer mildew arrives.

I learned I need to plant out my hardy annual seeds much earlier, perhaps fall or late winter.
Abiqua Ike
Abiqua Ike

Male Posts : 34

Back to top Go down

Post  SwampTroll 8/2/2017, 12:57 pm

I have learned that Indigo Kumquat tomatoes can become BIG plants.  Make sure they are secure in their cage EARLY in the season.

I've learned that I should probably  hand pollinate future plantings of corn.

I've learned to have more bean plants than just 1 or two.

I've learned that not all pole beans climb.  Some just like to lounge out.

I've learned that one should always plant more garlic than thought necessary.

I have learned that Tiny Tim tomatoes PUMP out tomatoes.

MORE FLOWERS!

Cut down weeds early!

More potatoes, more garden.
SwampTroll
SwampTroll

Male Posts : 141

http://literate-troll.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/2/2017, 7:36 pm

Nice!  Yes....weeds do well always. Evil or Very Mad
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  Judy McConnell 8/3/2017, 9:50 am

Not having grown cucumbers in about 5 years (plants then did nothing and were a waste of space), this season I chose to plant "bush cucumbers".  The packet lied! Rolling Eyes  These 5 plants have been very productive and the vines have spread over 5-6 FEET.

Even if one starts with brand new MM, wears gloves, etc.etc. disease will still hit the tomato plants.  One or 2 tums in bottom of planting hole is NOT enough to prevent BER.

Half priced tomato and pepper plants (end of season at nursery) will still produce if you give them special care (lots of compost and water).
Judy McConnell
Judy McConnell

Female Posts : 439

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 8/8/2017, 9:57 am

I learned that chickens can reach across 2' of fence to steal a tomato off the vine. What I've learned this year  - Page 2 671790

I also learned that maybe my summer garden slump isn't all due to the weather. I need to apply a good top dressing of compost mid-season to put more nutrients back into the soil.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 8/8/2017, 2:48 pm

I am so tired of learning everything the hard way. What I've learned this year  - Page 2 671790 I have never used fertilizer before, and I thought I could just spread it any old which way, then water it down. WRONG AGAIN! It got hung up in the large-leafed plants and I had to hand wash every single leaf. It took 4 times as long as if I had been careful and placed it strategically around the base of each plant in the first place. What I've learned this year  - Page 2 43549
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/8/2017, 9:22 pm

I completely get you , CN!  I too did it all the hard way, not necessarily wrong per se, but not the right way at all.....I figure this is some grand plan that I am not privileged to know....but still frustrating
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 8/8/2017, 9:46 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:I completely get you , CN!  I too did it all the hard way, not necessarily wrong per se, but not the right way at all.....I figure this is some grand plan that I am not privileged to know....but still frustrating
We should start a get-it-right-the-2nd-time club. Rolling Eyes
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 8/9/2017, 2:01 pm

Take action at the first sign of trouble. I had to learn this lesson twice. First was last winter when the spider mites got my indoor crops, then again last week when I lost my corn crop. From now on, as soon as I see anything but glowing good health in my garden, I will jump all over the situation, while there still might be time to fix it. Sad
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 8/9/2017, 7:20 pm

I've learned that jewelweed in front of a raised bed results in shade. And I already knew shade results in poorer vegetable growth, but got further confirmation of that fact.

And I've learned that I have to pull the jewelweed out early, before it flowers. Not because it's hard to pull - it's trivial to pull and has no spines or irritating substances. Not because it makes bad compost. And not even because it reseeds. It doesn't even send out runners or make those annoying deep rhizomes like violets. No. The problem is that the hummingbird I love you LOVES I love you them. She'll come within about a foot of me as she makes her rounds, sippling (I know, not a word) each orange bloom, and then will perch on a pepper cage licking her lips bill and looking very happy. I can't imagine disappointing her by pulling these plants while they are still blooming.
...Even if she did freak me out this morning by angrily chasing another hummingbird right past my ear, from behind, making my hind-brain think I was under attack by giant buzzing wasps.
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1433

Back to top Go down

Post  VJ72584 8/11/2017, 4:24 pm

I have learned to keep a book and write down specifically which variety I planted. The first year, I grew a mountain of potatoes in a small space with a top hat.  They were white potatoes, but that's all I can say. There were a couple of disappointing years and then this year a great harvest.  I did not write it down again.

Apparently Dixie Lee peas will not be covered in aphids by mid June every year.  First time that has happened, but I have no idea why.  I am just happy about it. I have picked a lot of peas this year.

Early Girl tomatoes grow really well for me. Have for several years even though I will throw in another variety nearly every year just to see what I might be missing. 

And I need to get serious about composting.  I have a pile but I am not turning it regularly.
VJ72584
VJ72584

Female Posts : 100

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 8/11/2017, 6:38 pm

VJ72584 wrote:I have learned to keep a book and write down specifically which variety I planted. The first year, I grew a mountain of potatoes in a small space with a top hat.  They were white potatoes, but that's all I can say. There were a couple of disappointing years and then this year a great harvest.  I did not write it down again.

Apparently Dixie Lee peas will not be covered in aphids by mid June every year.  First time that has happened, but I have no idea why.  I am just happy about it. I have picked a lot of peas this year.

Early Girl tomatoes grow really well for me. Have for several years even though I will throw in another variety nearly every year just to see what I might be missing. 

And I need to get serious about composting.  I have a pile but I am not turning it regularly.
I don't turn my pile either....lazy composter.  That is one of my goals too.  Wish my back wasn't such a wreck!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 8/11/2017, 9:54 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:I don't turn my pile either....lazy composter.  That is one of my goals too.  Wish my back wasn't such a wreck!
I just discovered a secret. If I water it down, the chickens will turn it for me.  cheers
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 8/12/2017, 11:45 am

Hi, Judy McConnell happy hi

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21612

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Judy McConnell 8/12/2017, 4:07 pm

Hi right back to you, Sanderson!!
Judy McConnell
Judy McConnell

Female Posts : 439

Back to top Go down

Post  SwampTroll 8/14/2017, 1:32 pm

• Cilantro grows fast.   Either cut and freeze frequently or plant late in season if doing a salsa garden.
SwampTroll
SwampTroll

Male Posts : 141

http://literate-troll.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next