Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
New England ~ May 2014 - Page 6 Toplef10New England ~ May 2014 - Page 6 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

New England ~ May 2014 - Page 6 I22gcj10New England ~ May 2014 - Page 6 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
New England ~ May 2014 - Page 6 Toplef10New England ~ May 2014 - Page 6 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

New England ~ May 2014 - Page 6 I22gcj10New England ~ May 2014 - Page 6 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What is Common Rail Injector Nozzle 0 433 171 966 & Common Rail Injector Nozzle 0 433 171 968
by lutong Today at 9:33 pm

» How to choose Ve Fuel Pump BHF4PM105001 & VE distributor pump 4944883
by lutong Today at 9:28 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 8:08 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 Today at 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Today at 4:46 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere Today at 4:36 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by Guinevere Today at 4:30 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson Today at 1:34 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by sanderson Today at 1:31 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by sanderson 5/10/2024, 2:06 pm

» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener 5/9/2024, 12:02 pm

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

New England ~ May 2014

+16
walshevak
sanderson
llama momma
Marc Iverson
AtlantaMarie
Mips
boffer
yolos
NHGardener
quiltbea
RJARPCGP
mollyhespra
CapeCoddess
cpl100
lyndeeloo
camprn
20 posters

Page 6 of 14 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10 ... 14  Next

Go down

New England ~ May 2014 - Page 6 Empty Re: New England ~ May 2014

Post  NHGardener 5/12/2014, 3:09 pm

Two things.

One is that I've been watering the past few days now. Esp. with today's heat and no rain in the forecast till maybe Thursday. It's a pain, but the seeds need water to sprout...

The other thing is that Ruth Stout had a method of planting potatoes that I read - she would just throw a whole potato and cover it with hay. She said that's all you need to do. So since I had some leftover seed potatoes (I bought beautiful looking seed potatoes from Fedco) I placed them around the interior of my garden fence right on the woodchips, and threw piles of hay on them. Now I have a bunch of little hay piles around part of my fence. So we'll see what happens.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Female Posts : 2305

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/12/2014, 3:20 pm

This is a reminder that this is the New England Regional Forum. Please be cognizant of that fact and keep comments pertinent New England Gardening information.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

New England ~ May 2014 - Page 6 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  lyndeeloo 5/12/2014, 3:52 pm

Thermometer reads 92° here in good old western Massachusetts. I've had to water like crazy the past few days. The garden looks good except for the bok choy. I think it's really stressed from the heat. I made a little shade for it and have my fingers crossed. 

I also made the mistake of over seeding the lawn, not realizing it would get so hot this soon, so I've had to water that twice a day for the past 3 days. There goes the water bill already. 

The lettuce I seeded in the garden came up in three days. I was really surprised to see the sprouts this morning.
lyndeeloo
lyndeeloo

Female Posts : 433

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 5/12/2014, 6:18 pm

My lettuce seed never sprouted (at least not yet), which is super annoying. But I had also indoor seeded lettuce, and transplanted that out there, and it looks great.

I planted 8 squares of spinach and that is coming up - YAY. Spinach is so healthy and it also freezes well, so I'm hoping to get a lot of it this summer.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/12/2014, 6:37 pm

My lettuce also no germination, seed is too old is my guess will get more tomorrow at Horse and Buggy.

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

New England ~ May 2014 - Page 6 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 5/12/2014, 6:48 pm

Oh, by the way. I've been seeing this large white moth flittering around. Is it looking for squash plants, or broccoli? My squash has not sprouted outside yet (I have a few backups in the house) so I'm glad about that. I think I heard that if you do start your squashes late, you might escape the SVB just because the moths will not be around any longer to lay eggs. But I guess you might run the risk of running out of season that way too.

I have hoop material and agrabon but haven't gotten around to that yet, don't know if I will this season... I've been enlarging the growing area, putting down chips (that I scrounge from our pile of old logs, so they're really premium hand picked chips - haha) (in other words, this will take a lifetime), and planting new trees, you can't get to everything...
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  lyndeeloo 5/12/2014, 7:26 pm

I'm sorry you're having trouble with the lettuce seeds, I've had trouble with several packages of seeds I bought this year. But I was really excited about the lettuce because I saved the seeds from last year's plants. I noticed an unusually low germination rate from package seeds this year.
lyndeeloo
lyndeeloo

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 5/12/2014, 7:43 pm

Well, mine were the lettuce seeds I've used in the past. The ones I seeded indoors did fine; the ones I seeded outdoors may have even been the same kind, I'm not sure.

Wow, for saving lettuce seeds. I don't think I've even seen a lettuce seed - I guess when they bolt you take the seed things off?

By the way, I was so glad my 2 Ace Peppers were looking so large, and I planted them with the small peppers in the pepper bed, and then I thought - wait a minute. Those look suspiciously like tomatoes... got that mixed up somehow...
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 5/12/2014, 8:01 pm

camprn wrote:My lettuce also no germination, seed is too old is my guess will get more tomorrow at Horse and Buggy.
My lettuce is bolting.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  lyndeeloo 5/12/2014, 8:12 pm

NHGardener wrote:Well, mine were the lettuce seeds I've used in the past. The ones I seeded indoors did fine; the ones I seeded outdoors may have even been the same kind, I'm not sure.

Wow, for saving lettuce seeds. I don't think I've even seen a lettuce seed - I guess when they bolt you take the seed things off?

By the way, I was so glad my 2 Ace Peppers were looking so large, and I planted them with the small peppers in the pepper bed, and then I thought - wait a minute. Those look suspiciously like tomatoes... got that mixed up somehow...
I love romaine and I grew a lot of it last year. Some I took a few leaves at a time and at the end of the season I let 2 of those go to seed. It was cool to watch them go. They got really tall, I just let them go until they started to dry up. Got TONS of seeds.
lyndeeloo
lyndeeloo

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/12/2014, 8:43 pm

yolos wrote:
camprn wrote:My lettuce also no germination, seed is too old is my guess will get more tomorrow at Horse and Buggy.
My lettuce is bolting.
You don't live in New England so that is no comparison.

I'm sorry your lettuce is bolting.

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/12/2014, 8:48 pm

NHGardener wrote:Oh, by the way. I've been seeing this large white moth flittering around. Is it looking for squash plants, or broccoli? My squash has not sprouted outside yet (I have a few backups in the house) so I'm glad about that. I think I heard that if you do start your squashes late, you might escape the SVB just because the moths will not be around any longer to lay eggs. But I guess you might run the risk of running out of season that way too.

I have hoop material and agrabon but haven't gotten around to that yet, don't know if I will this season... I've been enlarging the growing area, putting down chips (that I scrounge from our pile of old logs, so they're really premium hand picked chips - haha) (in other words, this will take a lifetime), and planting new trees, you can't get to everything...

SVB moth
New England ~ May 2014 - Page 6 Squash-vine-borers-1

Cabbage worm moth
New England ~ May 2014 - Page 6 Cabbage%20worm%20moth

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 5/12/2014, 9:29 pm

Aha. So that thing is after my tiny broccoli, kale & kohlrabi sprouts. I'll be eyeing those real closely now.  study
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 5/13/2014, 12:01 am

NHGardener.....Some lightweight insect barrier laid over your brassicas will help a lot in preventing those cabbage worms and the flea beetles as well.

When my son and his wife came home from their weekend away, they brought home something for Mother's Day I really love, besides the chocolates and the roses.....a tool holder for the workshop.  I can get all my rakes, hoes and such upright in the holes and on the side are pockets for trowels, hand rakes, weeders and other small tools.  I love it. Now everything I need is in one place and not scattered hither and yon around the shop.   They know how to please a mamma gardener.

Temps reached 81 and sunny by the time I got back from having my winter tires off so I didn't work outdoors.  I can't handle the heat.  So I up-potted my peppers and several tomato plants instead.  Tomorrow will be back to the 50sF so a great day for gardening outdoors again.

I've got my brassicas and greens in and some flower seeds sown in the raised beds.  I have netting to put up, and lettuce seeds to sow as well as transplanting some lettuces into pots outside my kitchen door along with some herbs.  The warm-weather seedlings have to wait til after the 15th to be sure no frost sneaks in during the night.  Its dropping to the low 40s lately. 

I'm so thrilled that spring has finely sprung in southern Maine.  I hear Colorado got ten inches of new snow on Sunday.  Ugh!
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 5/13/2014, 7:28 am

Good idea QB, I forgot that instead of waiting for the whole hoop setup, I can just lay agrabon over the seedlings...

It was a taste of summer yesterday! Probably gave the soil a nice warm-up zap. Now with rain coming this weekend, it should soak all the new seeds and plants, so it would probably be a good idea to have everything in and ready to go by the time that wonderful rain hits and does its thing.

I went to bed last night and then the winds started howling. I was so tired, but I thought - uh oh. The seedlings are out on the deck. (These are a bunch of leftover but large tomato plants, the vines, some asparagus seed I started just for fun and transplant.) So I dragged myself out there and brought them all inside. People who can just go to the grocery store and be happy to buy their produce have it lucky.  Very Happy
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 5/13/2014, 8:26 am

Yeah, NHG, but they're also ingesting a bunch of chemicals & who knows what else...
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 5/13/2014, 11:39 am

Yah, and the flavor ain't half as good with store-bought.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 5/13/2014, 11:53 am

Speaking about SVB, here's an article that talks about emergence based on growing degree days (GDD), and here's a GDD calculator I found online.

By my reckoning, if you put your zip in and use Jan 1st as a start date, and then keep putting different early-summer dates in for the end date, you can get a rough idea of when they're most likely to emerge. 

In my garden, that's late July, which might explain why I've actually never had SVB, at least not in the past 2 years of veggie gardening.  My first frost date is start of Sept, so between emergence & first frost, the little pesties are cutting it pretty close to complete their life cycle. 

I'm not holding my breath, though...I'm still keeping a wary eye out for the little critters.  It may just be that they've never found my garden, and this will be the year that they do.
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Female Posts : 1087

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/13/2014, 11:58 am

Molly you are a  Like a Star @ heaven !!

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 5/13/2014, 12:20 pm

camprn wrote:Molly you are a  Like a Star @ heaven !!
I give
 Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven Like a Star @ heaven 
 Very Happy 

It's hard to find GDD info as it relates to specific plants and their relationships to pests.  Thanks   New England ~ May 2014 - Page 6 3170584802 

Just be sure you're using 50° as your baseline.  I've been using that link for a while, and 50 isn't always the default.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 5/13/2014, 1:14 pm

Well, according to that calculator, it doesn't look like I'll have to worry about the svb until about July 10. So would that mean I don't have to worry about covering my vine plants until then? If I could leave them uncovered all of June, I think that would be helpful for them.

I just learned that the squash bug and squash vine borer are 2 different things. Somehow I had them all connected into the same bug. So you have to watch for both bugs with your vine crops.

Last edited by NHGardener on 5/13/2014, 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/13/2014, 1:19 pm

NHGardener wrote:Well, according to that calculator, it doesn't look like I'll have to worry about the svb until about July 10. So would that mean I don't have to worry about covering my vine plants until then? If I could leave them uncovered all of June, I think that would be helpful for them.
YUp, you got it!!!

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 5/13/2014, 1:23 pm

Knowing dates is really helpful. Once you have all your dates in your mind - indoor seeding, outdoor seeding, transplanting, what bugs to watch out for when - it must get so much easier. That's why those old farmers had a wealth in their info, which we have to relearn.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 5/13/2014, 1:40 pm

NHGardener wrote:Knowing dates is really helpful. Once you have all your dates in your mind - indoor seeding, outdoor seeding, transplanting, what bugs to watch out for when - it must get so much easier. That's why those old farmers had a wealth in their info, which we have to relearn.
ahyup...

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 5/13/2014, 1:41 pm

mollyhespra wrote:Speaking about SVB, here's an article that talks about emergence based on growing degree days (GDD), and here's a GDD calculator I found online.

By my reckoning, if you put your zip in and use Jan 1st as a start date, and then keep putting different early-summer dates in for the end date, you can get a rough idea of when they're most likely to emerge. 

huh?  Do we want the answer in the 1st box (so 7/24) to show 1000 for emergence or the 2nd box(7/29)?  Sure seems like he was flittin' around earlier last year... thinking
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 14 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10 ... 14  Next