Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Anyone buy earthworms from bait/tackle shops? Toplef10Anyone buy earthworms from bait/tackle shops? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Anyone buy earthworms from bait/tackle shops? I22gcj10Anyone buy earthworms from bait/tackle shops? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Anyone buy earthworms from bait/tackle shops? Toplef10Anyone buy earthworms from bait/tackle shops? 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Anyone buy earthworms from bait/tackle shops? I22gcj10Anyone buy earthworms from bait/tackle shops? 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising Today at 12:11 pm

» N & C Midwest: September 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:52 am

» Hurricane
by sanderson 9/14/2024, 5:42 pm

» Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas
by sanderson 9/12/2024, 2:09 am

» Old Mulch and Closing Beds for Winter
by Scorpio Rising 9/11/2024, 8:23 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 9/11/2024, 8:20 pm

» Pest Damage
by WBIowa 9/8/2024, 2:48 pm

» cabbage moth?
by jemm 9/8/2024, 9:15 am

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 9/5/2024, 6:37 pm

» adding compost yearly
by sanderson 9/5/2024, 2:16 am

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 9/2/2024, 3:10 pm

» N & C Midwest: August 2024
by OhioGardener 8/31/2024, 8:13 pm

» Article - Create a Seed Library to Share the Extras
by OhioGardener 8/26/2024, 4:09 pm

» Best Tasting Parthenocarpic Cucumber?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 7:07 pm

» Winter Squash Arch
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 8:02 am

» Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries
by OhioGardener 8/19/2024, 10:09 am

» Looking for a local source for transplants.... Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:26 am

» Hi, y'all. I'm new to everything in Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:21 am

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 8/14/2024, 5:47 pm

» Hi from N. Georgia
by AtlantaMarie 8/13/2024, 8:57 am

» Hello from Atlanta, Georgia
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:09 am

» growing tomatoes from seed outside
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:05 am

» 15-Minute Garlic Sautéed Eggplant
by Scorpio Rising 8/12/2024, 7:25 pm

» Downsizing Gardens for the Autumn of our lives
by Hollysmac 8/6/2024, 10:37 pm

» Golden Beets
by Scorpio Rising 8/6/2024, 7:03 pm

» Hi all!
by sanderson 8/6/2024, 12:56 am

» DIY Tomato Trellis for Birdie's Tall Raised beds
by sanderson 8/6/2024, 12:48 am

» Got zucchini? Toot your own horn!
by OhioGardener 8/5/2024, 9:17 am

» Compost not hot
by Aintyergrandpaschickenpoo 8/5/2024, 8:29 am

» N&C Midwest—July 2024
by nrstooge 8/1/2024, 6:57 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Anyone buy earthworms from bait/tackle shops?

+7
Marc Iverson
Triciasgarden
Goosegirl
llama momma
camprn
sanderson
dstack
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Anyone buy earthworms from bait/tackle shops? Empty Anyone buy earthworms from bait/tackle shops?

Post  dstack 4/5/2014, 10:16 pm

I'd like to buy earthworms for my boxes, and we have plenty of bait and tackle shops around here. But should I be concerned about contamination of parasites if I don't know where the worms came from, or am I just being paranoid? I've had too much trouble with root knot nematodes to carelessly contaminate what I've worked so hard to build.  Rolling Eyes 
dstack
dstack

Male Posts : 661

Back to top Go down

Anyone buy earthworms from bait/tackle shops? Empty Re: Anyone buy earthworms from bait/tackle shops?

Post  sanderson 4/6/2014, 12:15 am

With your local concern, maybe buying them online would ease your concern. Folks here have ordered them that way. They only ship on certain days so the worms don't have to spend forever in the post office.

I think "1,000 worms on the their way" is the topic.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21605

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Anyone buy earthworms from bait/tackle shops? Empty Re: Anyone buy earthworms from bait/tackle shops?

Post  camprn 4/6/2014, 7:22 am

Did you happen to ask the bait shop where the worms came from??

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Anyone buy earthworms from bait/tackle shops? WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14134

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 4/6/2014, 7:52 am

dstack
Your question is great, a real head scratcher, it made me pause and think.  Here's what I have-
I think I read a fair amount of materials on worms. Try to wade through some academic studies too, and honestly I have not yet seen any reports in the past 2 years  where worms introduce parasites or diseases. There are parasites and predators that attack worms but in general worms clean up messes, not make them, in my very limited 2 year experience.   As far as nematodes, I'll bet most people automatically think negatively, yet there are many types of nematodes that are not harmful to the garden.  Press me further and I'd have to excuse myself to go back to find and study those details again!  Wink

I would shop around for prices of worms, I'm amazed to see red worms between 15 and 40 dollars a pound.  I know you mentioned buying earthworms (not redworms) I can't begin to price those for you. Can't say if they are disease or parasite carriers either.

You could check with Rhonda Sherman out of NC state university. http://www.bae.ncsu.edu/people/professionals/sherman/

Last edited by llama momma on 4/6/2014, 8:02 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : add rhonda sherman info)
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4914

Back to top Go down

Post  dstack 4/6/2014, 8:31 am

camprn wrote:Did you happen to ask the bait shop where the worms came from??
No, I haven't even gone to a shop yet, but my neighbor gets her's there. She has nematodes.
dstack
dstack

Back to top Go down

Post  dstack 4/6/2014, 8:47 am

llama momma wrote:dstack
Your question is great, a real head scratcher, it made me pause and think.  Here's what I have-
I think I read a fair amount of materials on worms. Try to wade through some academic studies too, and honestly I have not yet seen any reports in the past 2 years  where worms introduce parasites or diseases. There are parasites and predators that attack worms but in general worms clean up messes, not make them, in my very limited 2 year experience.   As far as nematodes, I'll bet most people automatically think negatively, yet there are many types of nematodes that are not harmful to the garden.  Press me further and I'd have to excuse myself to go back to find and study those details again!  Wink

I would shop around for prices of worms, I'm amazed to see red worms between 15 and 40 dollars a pound.  I know you mentioned buying earthworms (not redworms) I can't begin to price those for you. Can't say if they are disease or parasite carriers either.

You could check with Rhonda Sherman out of NC state university. http://www.bae.ncsu.edu/people/professionals/sherman/
Sorry, I shouldn't have specified earthworms. Do you have a preference, and they're all good, right? Here in S. Florida we have a bountiful supply of worms with legs. Some people insist that these are centepedes. But centepedes are fast and sleek. These are slow moving and live in my compost and soil. They curl up if threatened. In certain times of the year we find a lot of them both in the house and at my work in an office building. I often see an actual centepede in my compost. 

Sorry, I got slightly off-topic. I'm open to trying red worms. I just haven't done thorough research on the topic as you have. I appreciate your thoughtful response.
dstack
dstack

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 4/6/2014, 9:30 am

Oh no you're just fine.  I'd like to help if possible and two, that you're satisfied with your decision.
Red worms are surface dwellers so I'm concerned with your temps in FL killing them off.  There has to be other types that do well in FL type heat perhaps like the Alabama blue worms aka Alabama jumpers.  I'm limited to knowing the name but I don't know much about their habitat preference or nematode concerns.  (btw I question your friends nematode issue was in the soil before the worms were introduced then got blamed for it ??  (yes I'm hoping they are innocent, lol)  
So, I come back to contacting Rhonda Sherman in the above post or ask Bentley Christie from redwormcomposting.com
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  dstack 4/6/2014, 10:21 am

llama momma wrote:  (btw I question your friends nematode issue was in the soil before the worms were introduced then got blamed for it ??  (yes I'm hoping they are innocent, lol)  
So, I come back to contacting Rhonda Sherman in the above post or ask Bentley Christie from redwormcomposting.com
Right, no one was blamed, and my neighbor and I never disgusted where the contamination came from. But when she mentioned where she got the worms, and I wondered if that's where the contamination came from.  Smile 

I'll let you know if I get an answer from Sherman or Christie.

Thanks Llama mamma!
dstack
dstack

Back to top Go down

Anyone buy earthworms from bait/tackle shops? Empty Papaya photos

Post  dstack 4/6/2014, 10:31 am

Taken this morning... 

Anyone buy earthworms from bait/tackle shops? Papaya18

She's the tall one...

Anyone buy earthworms from bait/tackle shops? Papaya19
dstack
dstack

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 4/6/2014, 11:09 am

dstack wrote:

I'll let you know if I get an answer from Sherman or Christie.

Thanks Llama mamma!

dstack You're very welcome.  Hope you get a quick response, and yes I'd love to know what they advised.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 4/6/2014, 1:34 pm

Dstack - she is beautiful! You have brought her back from the brink of death!

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3424

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 4/6/2014, 2:04 pm

That was a good save, look how healthy your plant is!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1633

Back to top Go down

Post  dstack 4/8/2014, 9:18 pm

llama momma wrote:

I heard from both of them. Rhonda referred me to a nematologist. And Bentley had this to say...
"I would probably be more concerned with getting the wrong worms when shopping at a bait shop. There really aren't any known "parasites" to speak of. I guess there is always the chance that other harmful organisms could end up in the bedding, but there's probably more of a risk with potted plants than with worms from a bait shop."
dstack
dstack

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 4/8/2014, 10:37 pm

I'm glad you received fast responses from both Bentley and Rhonda. If you choose to purchase from FL sources I found this list the other day of worm suppliers somewhere on Rhonda's web site and put it on the sfg forum too.  Maybe these places have supervisors or managers that could address your nematode concern too.  I'm curious as to what you decide to do and how it all works out.  Please keep in touch.

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t17601-florida-worm-sources?highlight=Forida+worm+suppliers
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 4/8/2014, 10:57 pm

Flatworms aren't parasites, but they are earthworm predators. No idea the likelihood of getting them from a bait shop.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3637

Back to top Go down

Post  ETNRedClay 4/9/2014, 5:55 pm

I bought a $3 tub of Red Wigglers at Wal-mart last year and dumped it in my 4'x8' potato bed.  There were 30 worms skinnier than a number 2 pencil.  When I dug the potatoes in the fall, each FORK had 30 worms that were bigger than my thumb.  Delightfully disgusting.

Only saw Night Crawlers at WM this spring.  Bought 2 tubs of those and dumped one in the new potato bed (rotated crops) and one in the pepper bed.  The old potato bed is a bean bed this year -- adding compost and mixing was another delightfully disgusting chore since there were so many of those little buggers in there still.
ETNRedClay
ETNRedClay

Female Posts : 210

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/9/2014, 9:15 pm

Delightfully disgusting. BB\'s happy face    Only a gardener could describe it like that!  Very Happy
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 4/9/2014, 9:59 pm

I realize that your question was about introducing bad stuff into your soil from the bait & tackle shop earthworms, but in the same spirit that I think sparked your question (concern) I'd like to just mention that some earthworms are considered highly invasive and can do significant damage when inadvertently introduced in a new area. 

invasive earthworms

Being a South Florida native myself, I doubt there's any soil left in the State that hasn't already been exposed to every earthworm species, whether native or invasive, known to have ever been sold in a bait shop, but since folks in other areas may read your post I think it advisable to be informed about the dangers of releasing bait/tackle or any kind of earthworms willy-nilly into your soil. 

When I first read about this issue a few years back it really disturbed me.  And it seemed that many earthworms had been introduced by well-intentioned fishermen who just dumped their unused worms into the soil around streams thinking they were doing a good thing.

It's not too far-fetched to imagine a similar thing happening with a well-intentioned gardener inadvertently introducing a new species of bait earthworm into their garden without realizing the potential damage that doing so may cause to the larger ecosystem.

So in the end, my advice is this: do some research on what's considered native vs. invasive and stick with the natives if at all possible, even if it means spending more $ or waiting for them to arrive in the mail. 

The invasives of any species usually get by quite well without our helping them on.

P.S.  That papaya is looking GREAT!!!
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Female Posts : 1087

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 4/10/2014, 5:28 am

This is a discussion on invasive species with supporting literature.  The current bottom line from this article regarding red worms E. Fetida,  is they are not feared as an invasive species.  Other species are discussed too, and like many topics of research the studies are ongoing. 

http://www.redwormcomposting.com/?s=invasive+worms
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  dstack 4/10/2014, 7:17 am

mollyhespra wrote:I realize that your question was about introducing bad stuff into your soil from the bait & tackle shop earthworms, but in the same spirit that I think sparked your question (concern) I'd like to just mention that some earthworms are considered highly invasive and can do significant damage when inadvertently introduced in a new area....

The invasives of any species usually get by quite well without our helping them on.

P.S.  That papaya is looking GREAT!!!
Thanks for the reminder on invasive species. That pretty much settles my decision about using bait/tackle shops for a source. 

I don't know if you saw the story of what that papaya plant has been through. Basically it was contaminated by muriatic acid from my neighbor's pool acid wash. I rinsed off the roots and potted it. She's recovering well! Fortunately muriatic acid doesn't accumulated in the food chain.  Very Happy
dstack
dstack

Back to top Go down

Anyone buy earthworms from bait/tackle shops? Empty millipedes

Post  dstack 4/10/2014, 7:27 am

Btw, I learned that those "worms" with legs that we have an abundance of (I mentioned earlier in this thread) are millipedes. 

Anyone buy earthworms from bait/tackle shops? Imag0512

I have them in my compost, my soil, and occasionally in my house and office. Did some research on these and they are mostly beneficial. My only issue with them is that they occasionally eat my young seedlings. But now I may start my seedlings in a more protective area.
dstack
dstack

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 4/10/2014, 8:42 am

I talked w/ a friend who works as a bug person w/ the US Forestry Service.  She recommends checking w/ your local Extension Service agent from their lawn & garden section (if they are that compartmentalized).
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5598

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/10/2014, 1:59 pm

dstack, I sent you a PM.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  dstack 4/10/2014, 3:13 pm

sanderson wrote:dstack, I sent you a PM.
Huh! I don't have any new messages. The last one I have is from December.
dstack
dstack

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/10/2014, 4:07 pm

Maybe your Inbox is full??  Dec is a long time. Each message is 2% if the room.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next