Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
New to squarefoot gardening in Alabama! Toplef10New to squarefoot gardening in Alabama! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

New to squarefoot gardening in Alabama! I22gcj10New to squarefoot gardening in Alabama! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
New to squarefoot gardening in Alabama! Toplef10New to squarefoot gardening in Alabama! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

New to squarefoot gardening in Alabama! I22gcj10New to squarefoot gardening in Alabama! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by sanderson Yesterday at 6:02 pm

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising 3/27/2024, 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

New to squarefoot gardening in Alabama!

+3
yolos
AtlantaMarie
Munchkin
7 posters

Go down

New to squarefoot gardening in Alabama! Empty New to squarefoot gardening in Alabama!

Post  Munchkin 3/30/2014, 11:22 am

I'm so new to squarefoot gardening that I actually haven't started yet! I've been to a class, bought a book and the Hubby is about to build a couple of boxes for me. I'm all excited but having a little trouble getting started, because I'm having trouble finding the components for Mel's mix!  Embarassed 
Munchkin
Munchkin

Back to top Go down

New to squarefoot gardening in Alabama! Empty Re: New to squarefoot gardening in Alabama!

Post  AtlantaMarie 3/30/2014, 11:33 am

Hi Munchkin!  Welcome to the party!  You'll find lots of good info and great folks willing to help you!

It can be hard to find the 5 different kinds of compost!  AND the COURSE vermiculite!  Even in Atlanta I have found that I have to go to specialty garden centers.  If you have a Pike Nursery nearby or something like that, they may have some stuff for you.

It's one of those things that you do the best you can with what you can find.  Be sure to start a compost pile if you haven't already.  That will help later on.

Make sure to take lots of pix as you get set up!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5600

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

New to squarefoot gardening in Alabama! Empty Re: New to squarefoot gardening in Alabama!

Post  Munchkin 3/30/2014, 11:56 am

I can only find medium vermiculite, and maybe 2 kinds of compost so far. The bagged Mel's mix is supposed to be available at Home Depot, but not in this area, it's about $9 per bag, but my husband was going to order it online, the shipping and handling was going to be $120 for 10 bags, so that's a NO GO for us. Will try to ask Home Depot if they will order it and let us pick it up. I'm going to try to start my own composting, but that will take longer than one growing season to be able to use, so not an option for this year's gardening.
Munchkin
Munchkin

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 3/30/2014, 1:39 pm

Yeah...  You might have to try Tuscaloosa or B'ham for the vermiculite....

I've got the same situation with the composting.

But we're going to have fun!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5600

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 3/30/2014, 2:09 pm

Duncanville Alabama sounds kind of like a small town country neighborhood.  At least I have never heard of it.  Do they have the old time feed and seed stores there.  That is another place in my area that carries the course vermiculite.  They don't have it out on the floor but when I asked the owner if he could order it for me I found out he stocks it but it is in a storeroom in the back.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/30/2014, 2:28 pm

Munchkin,  Welcome to the Forum!   glad you\'re here I was about to say that there are folks in AL that may be able to help you find in ingredients, and they beat me to it!   Very Happy 

Folks have personal preferences about coarse and medium vermiculite, but they are both okay.  Remember that peat moss almost doubles in size when it is broken-up and fluffed.  Measure after it is fluffed.  Finding 5 different "sources" of compost is usually the hardest part.  One 'source' should be from animals = composted manure.

If you have a question, ask away.  Folks are always ready to help Newbies. If you don't have your own copy of All New Square Foot Gardening, please get one. Invaluable.

PS:  If you use a hot compost method, like the Berkeley method, you can have compost in just a few weeks.  When it is done and has completely cooled off, let it rest a week or two before using.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21496

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 3/30/2014, 11:28 pm

Try a mix of Black Kow and Black Hen as the 1/5 manure of your compost blend.  Mushroom compost is good.  I believe the Black Kow brand is available in your area.  

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

New to squarefoot gardening in Alabama! Empty Welcome

Post  Windmere 3/31/2014, 1:23 am

Welcome Munchkin!  This forum in an invaluable resource when it comes to square foot gardening.  I am beginning my second year using this method and I have learned a great deal from the folks who participate on this website.  I've avoided many mis-steps by reading about the experiences of others.

I have to agree with the comments yolos made.  We actually live fairly close to each other in the Atlanta area (well sort of... we're south of Atlanta).  There is a feed store in our area that has coarse grade vermiculite for the best price.  Pike Nursery is also a good source for vermiculite.

Welcome, welcome and have fun with your gardening endeavors!

glad you\'re here
Windmere
Windmere

Male Posts : 1425

Back to top Go down

Post  johnbmarek 4/2/2014, 1:17 pm

Greetings! I think vermiculite is the thorn in the side for most of us. The other thing is that when you actually start to make the mix, you're going to think... that's an awful lot of vermiculite relative to the other ingredients. At least I did.
johnbmarek
johnbmarek

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 30

http://www.johnbmarek.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/2/2014, 3:27 pm

John, And now what you think about 1/3 vermiculite??

I love the sparkle of coarse vermiculite in the morning.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  johnbmarek 4/2/2014, 4:24 pm

I still think it looks like a lot, but I acknowledge that it works. And it is sort of pretty. I have some pictures I took of my mixing process thee years ago, and I remember thinking, "there's no way this can be right."

New to squarefoot gardening in Alabama! 419328_3062017703851_1829234739_n

Last edited by johnbmarek on 4/2/2014, 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Inserted picture.)
johnbmarek
johnbmarek

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 30

http://www.johnbmarek.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 4/2/2014, 7:13 pm

Very Happy 
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down