Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
potato - New England ~ January 2014 - Page 3 Toplef10potato - New England ~ January 2014 - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

potato - New England ~ January 2014 - Page 3 I22gcj10potato - New England ~ January 2014 - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
potato - New England ~ January 2014 - Page 3 Toplef10potato - New England ~ January 2014 - Page 3 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

potato - New England ~ January 2014 - Page 3 I22gcj10potato - New England ~ January 2014 - Page 3 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener Today at 8:52 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

New England ~ January 2014

+10
NHGardener
donnainzone5
Goosegirl
mollyhespra
quiltbea
boffer
sanderson
plantoid
CapeCoddess
camprn
14 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

potato - New England ~ January 2014 - Page 3 Empty Re: New England ~ January 2014

Post  mollyhespra 1/4/2014, 10:12 am

camprn wrote: (snip)

...Bad news, I left the faucet wand in the cold  water position so there is currently no hot water in the kitchen.  silly me The good news is I had this section of copper pipe replaced a few years ago to the pex tubing and most likely I have a small section of ice in the tube that will hopefully resolve as we warm up a bit.

(/snip)

Ah, DANG! Do you have a hot water tank heater or is your hot water indirectly heated by the furnace (no tank)? Are your pipes exposed in the basement? Can you feel where the ice spot is?
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Female Posts : 1087

Back to top Go down

potato - New England ~ January 2014 - Page 3 Empty Re: New England ~ January 2014

Post  CapeCoddess 1/4/2014, 10:13 am

mollyhespra wrote:
Jessica!  Welcome back!!!  

NHGardener wrote: (snip)

Any plans for new additions to your gardens? I may cut out the broccoli this year due to cabbage worms, BUT I just came across this:  http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/536919 "Not only are they harmless, They are absolutley delectable.I harvested a bunch of them this morning and steamed them with a small broccoli floret. With the broccoli you cant even tell that your eating them. Alone they are like eating little broccoli flavored shrimp. When steemed they firm right up and have a nice snap to them." LOLOL That's a new perspective.

rofl  (Thanks, I needed the bellylaugh!)

Maybe CC would be up for a little steamed cabbage worms with her aphid smoothie...

(You probably missed those posts about CC's indoor aphid problem.  Suffice it to say her smoothies were particularly...interesting...earlier this week.)
*ROFLMAO*  OMG, that the best laugh I've had in ages... darn funny 

Haven't read the article yet but I'll bet it's do-able...I like shrimp!
 Shocked  Hey...I wonder if they contain B12???  I need a source and this may be it!  I'll have to look into that.

All's well here.  The ocean is steaming as the water is 40 and the air is 0, so I haven't tried to dig out yet. Lilly is SO BORED that, even tho she knows it's a no-no, she's sitting in front of my monitor, walking ON my keyboard - just being a real pest. So I broke out the catnip, which only happens once or twice a year, and was sparingly sprinkling it onto her roller ball toys in the living room. Meanwhile, she quietly jumps onto the kitchen counter (another no-no), knocks down the whole open bag of catnip (stupid me), then rolled around in it and ate it. She's now in a stupor with a happy grin on her face, and hasn't moved for the past hour.  If cats had eye whites I'm sure her would be beet red.

Off to read about the shrimp.
CC

PS  That article is SO FUNNY!  If I miss them when cleaning and then blanch my leafies they float to the top.  Now I'll have a delemma about whether to throw them out or use them as a side dish.  Crud.
  thinking
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  NHGardener 1/4/2014, 10:34 am

cc wrote: She's now in a stupor with a happy grin on her face, and hasn't moved for the past hour.  If cats had eye whites I'm sure her would be beet red.

potato - New England ~ January 2014 - Page 3 931411784  I hope that's medical catnip you're giving her.
( ^ That icon oughta wake everyone up)
(didn't quite get the hang of the quoting technique) 

Heating via woodstove here, doing midnight feedings like a baby. Electric blankets are probably the single most important invention in history. Hope the bees & chickens are surviving this.
NHGardener
NHGardener

Female Posts : 2305

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 1/4/2014, 10:44 am

I'm continuing the snow in FL thing in Senseless Banter before we get in trouble.  Wink 

Check it out!

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 1/4/2014, 10:52 am

CapeCoddess wrote:I'm continuing the snow in FL thing in Senseless Banter before we get in trouble.  Wink 

Check it out!

CC
No worries CC, this is a general free style regional forum. The conversation at this time of year flows differently than the Florida or Southern Cali regional forums. But it was a good thing to put into the senseless banter thread.  okay 

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

potato - New England ~ January 2014 - Page 3 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 1/4/2014, 11:29 am

Can't find anything on vit B12 content- Google actually froze up when I tried  Rolling Eyes - but did find this:

Some caterpillars can actually contain more protein and fat gram for gram than a turkey leg, but that fat comes from healthier monounsaturated sources.
Protein: 25-53 grams
Fat: 20 grams
Carbohydrates: N/A

Turkey leg, cooked
Protein: 27.87 grams
Fat: 9.82 grams
Carbohydrates: 0.13 grams

http://healthland.time.com/2013/08/21/why-eating-bugs-is-good-for-you-its-about-the-nutrients/slide/caterpillar/

Fatty little things, aren't they.

20 degrees and climbing...time to shovel.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 1/4/2014, 11:33 am

I can see it now, CC's Cricket Farm. More protein per gram that you could ever want. Shocked 

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

potato - New England ~ January 2014 - Page 3 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 1/4/2014, 11:45 am

camprn wrote:I can see it now, CC's Cricket Farm. More protein per gram that you could ever want. Shocked 
 cheers

But seriously...who needs crickets when we can raise cabbage loopers by the gobs!  With a "YOU PICK EM" sign.

Besides, I'm sure that crickets can get stuck in your hair...just like
PALMETTO BUGS! affraid  affraid  affraid

(there I go again with the FL thang...I gotta git outside...I'm going crazy)

happy hi
CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 1/4/2014, 11:54 am

CC and Camp,

No, not $3 for 10 gallons! However, how much do you use per load?
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2662

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 1/4/2014, 12:02 pm

NHGardner.....I started a separate thread about Ray's free seeds this year, even posted his video if anyone needed verification.  I've sent in my SASE already.

In the olden days, when I was a kid (1940s and 50s) we lived in cold-water flats (no central heating).  We left the water tap running very slowly all nite long on those cold winter nites so the pipes didn't freeze.  I'm happy to report we never lost a pipe.
In those days the wood-burning or oil-burning kitchen stove made the kitchen the warmest room in the house, a thick Army blanket would be hung over the kitchen doorway to keep any heat in the kitchen, and we slept under heavy comforters and blankets because the stove was allowed to go completely out at nite.
When we kids woke in the morning, it was a race across cold floors to the warmth of the kitchen where Mom would have started the fires even before the sun came up.
I'm so grateful for central heating and modern appliances and no more winter-long colds.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 1/4/2014, 12:20 pm

donnainzone10 wrote:There are other environmentally-friendly options.
Yes please post a recipe for your laundry soap here.

donnainzone10 wrote:CC and Camp,

No, not $3 for 10 gallons!  However, how much do you use per load?

I use between 1/4 and 1/3 cup per full load in a HE front loader washing machine.

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 1/4/2014, 12:35 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:

(snip)...I'm sure that crickets can get stuck in your hair...just like

happy hi
CC

NOOOOOOOOO!!!  NO PALMETTO BUGS ALLOWED IN NEW ENGLAND!!!!

For anyone who hasn't experienced them, here are some descriptions of Palmetto Bug behaviour.

For those of you fortunate enough to never have encountered one, here's a typical story.

I tried to find a video that captures THAT sound they make, that raspy, spine-tingling sound that makes your skin crawl and every little hair stand on end because you know, you just KNOW that you're about to get dive-bombed and you're just praying that they don't get in your hair or grab on to your skin with their spiny grappling-hooks disguised as legs...but I couldn't find one.  

Just as well, I'm all skeeved out just remembering.  Come to think of it, I thought ticks were gross, but PB's are MUCH worse...the only thing they have on ticks is that they don't carry Lyme.

Last edited by mollyhespra on 1/4/2014, 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Back to top Go down

Post  donnainzone5 1/4/2014, 12:47 pm

Camp.

I don't think anything can beat the cost per use you quote.
donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2662

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 1/4/2014, 1:06 pm

mollyhespra wrote:
CapeCoddess wrote:

(snip)...I'm sure that crickets can get stuck in your hair...just like

happy hi
CC

NOOOOOOOOO!!!  NO PALMETTO BUGS ALLOWED IN NEW ENGLAND!!!!

For anyone who hasn't experienced them, here are some descriptions of Palmetto Bug behaviour.

For those of you fortunate enough to never have encountered one, here's a typical story.

I tried to find a video that captures THAT sound they make, that raspy, spine-tingling sound that makes your skin crawl and every little hair stand on end because you know, you just KNOW that you're about to get dive-bombed and you're just praying that they don't get in your hair or grab on to your skin with their spiny grappling-hooks disguised as legs...but I couldn't find one.  

Just as well, I'm all skeeved out just remembering.  Come to think of it, I thought ticks were gross, but PB's are MUCH worse...the only thing they have on ticks is that they don't carry Lyme.
Shoot....came in for a  reading break and now I need a shower just from reading all this.  Why do they do that dive bomb thing...how can they be so bold???
 annoying bug 
 hiding
And hiding in cowboy boots & under the toilet seat...oh please...where's the 'retching' emoticon???

Back to shoveling...at least it's safe out there.
CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/4/2014, 2:41 pm

It looks like a very large oriental cockroach, which also prefer rich warmer outdoor environments.  Of course we could have this giant Madagascar hissing cockroach.

http://images.nationalgeographic.com/wpf/media-live/photos/000/005/cache/hissing-cockroach_574_600x450.jpg

Here comes another sanderson story.  When I worked as a health inspector, I was with City building inspectors (all males) inspecting a German cockroach-infested apartment.  It was so bad that they were on the walls and ceilings and one fell in my then permed shoulder-length hair.  Had to control my female instincts   affraid  and calmly let one of the guys pick it out of my hair.  Wasn't easy in all those curls!

Then there was the time the fleas at a cat lady's home covered my white bell bottoms until they were grey . . .
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21562

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 1/4/2014, 5:05 pm

Sanderson, bleck!

SO, my vermin count is up to 4. This is good.

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  mollyhespra 1/4/2014, 9:12 pm

Aphids, Cabbage Worms, Cockroaches & Ticks?
mollyhespra
mollyhespra

Back to top Go down

Post  Goosegirl 1/4/2014, 10:06 pm

mollyhespra wrote:Aphids, Cabbage Worms, Cockroaches & Ticks?

Maybe we could get Plantoid to smoke them all for us!  rofl 

GG
Goosegirl
Goosegirl

Female Posts : 3435

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 1/5/2014, 4:27 am

As I sit here with the fan blowing on me because it is too hot to be without, I'm  rofl at this whole thread. But then I checked the weather at home (see below) and decide I'm ok.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 1/5/2014, 9:10 am

Goosegirl wrote:
mollyhespra wrote:Aphids, Cabbage Worms, Cockroaches & Ticks?

Maybe we could get Plantoid to smoke them all for us!   rofl 

GG

happy smile 
If they're from our SFGs, at least we'll know they're free range & organic. 

GG, I was reading your post in 2014 N&C Midwest about not doing corn anymore and my first thought was, I wonder if the corn worms are edible...?

We really gotta get past our squeamishness, folks.  There's a bounty of organics out there and other parts of the world are taking advantage of it! 
 BB\'s happy face   
(there he is again...taunting me from the vinegar..."I dare ya to cook us up" he says) 

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 1/6/2014, 4:15 pm

CapeCoddess wrote:...We really gotta get past our squeamishness, folks.  There's a bounty of organics out there and other parts of the world are taking advantage of it!...

You first!   praise   

Maybe you can start a trend in the U.S. and become rich and famous!
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 1/6/2014, 6:51 pm

boffer wrote:
CapeCoddess wrote:...We really gotta get past our squeamishness, folks.  There's a bounty of organics out there and other parts of the world are taking advantage of it!...

You first!   praise   

Maybe you can start a trend in the U.S. and become rich and famous!

Chocolate covered ants are quite tasty. And I've heard toasted, roasted grasshoppers are too. Maybe with a little garlic?

Kay

Elizabeth City, NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 1/6/2014, 8:17 pm

Chapulines with chili (and often lead) in Mexico!  You could start an organic, lead-free chili coated line of roasted insects!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chapulines
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21562

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 1/6/2014, 10:02 pm

Crickets!

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 1/7/2014, 1:01 am

If bees were not getting so scarce, I would have also mentioned toasted, chocolate covered bumblebees.  Very rice crispyish.

Kay

I had a very unusual high school Biology teacher who brought in the ants and bees.

Elizabeth City, NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next