Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
If you could start over- what would you do differently? - Page 4 Toplef10If you could start over- what would you do differently? - Page 4 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

If you could start over- what would you do differently? - Page 4 I22gcj10If you could start over- what would you do differently? - Page 4 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
If you could start over- what would you do differently? - Page 4 Toplef10If you could start over- what would you do differently? - Page 4 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

If you could start over- what would you do differently? - Page 4 I22gcj10If you could start over- what would you do differently? - Page 4 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

If you could start over- what would you do differently?

+54
jimmy cee
No_Such_Reality
countrynaturals
Turan
AtlantaMarie
trolleydriver
sanderson
camprn
NHGardener
southern gardener
mijejo
Glendale-gardener
shannon1
janezee
Mamachibi
Goosegirl
AprilakaCCIL
sherryeo
squaredeal
chocolatepop
Dunkinjean
Chopper
plb
Paintedlady
1chichi
milaneyjane
carolintexas
Mirjam
Ha-v-v
jerzyjen
LupinFarm
Gilligan
quiltbea
sbeach
momstitch
titans01
cherriesjubilee
aspiegardner
LindainWarwickNY
Odd Duck
ColoradoNatureGirl
bullfrogbabe
willf650
martha
chexmix
mckr3441
rds1955
Retired Member 1
Lavender Debs
timwardell
nidiyao
Toastie
boffer
MsMinchin
58 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

If you could start over- what would you do differently? - Page 4 Empty Re: If you could start over- what would you do differently?

Post  sanderson 6/29/2018, 4:07 pm

No! Not the grapes! What a Face

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21531

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

If you could start over- what would you do differently? - Page 4 Empty Re: If you could start over- what would you do differently?

Post  BeetlesPerSqFt 6/29/2018, 6:32 pm

I’m renting and it’s limited some of my options. But I do plan on buying (not this house/yard, somewhere else local) in a couple years, so some of these are relevant to when I start over at the new place:

- Use more plant labels. Seriously. “This tasted great, I wonder which variety it was!” “Hm. This square *looks* empty – did I plant seeds here yet?”  “If I knew who you potted seedlings were, I’d know where I planned to transplant you...” “The critters took out *something*that was in this square...” silly me

- Have a better fence/gates to keep out critters(renting limited my current options here). Like others on the forum I’m having issues this year.  If you could start over- what would you do differently? - Page 4 671790

- Immediately start using tulle for the brassicas (cabbage butterflies, root maggots?, et al.) and beets (leaf miners.)  Huge difference in outcome/effort! 

- Thinner long beds for the tall/trellised stuff so I can reach both sides – I’m short.

- Wider paths (because some are the OSFG 1ft wide and it just isn’t enough)

- My next yard will have a larger, sunnier place for the garden. happy turtle My option here was under a tree or not at all – and I still prefer my shady garden to not having one at all! Also, either a less windy place, or the ability to install a good windbreak. And not at the bottom of a hill sloping away from the sun.

- Woodchip paths – not grass --> mud --> head-quarters for plants invading the beds from the bottom edges

- More metal trellises and either keeping them in place year-round, or a better way to move them (rather than pulling up rebar, and/or using the screwdriver every year.)   - something like Sanderson’s PVC cup holders. praise

-Get a compost tumbler sooner (Jora JK270! Just got some nice stuff out!) rahrah

-Start with flowering perennials for the OSFG border beds instead of not getting to annuals until it's too late

- ____< whatever the thing I need to do to get nice broccoli and cauliflower heads (might be as simple as the more sun mentioned above.)
BeetlesPerSqFt
BeetlesPerSqFt

Female Posts : 1440

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 6/29/2018, 9:05 pm

BeetlesPerSqFt wrote:- Use more plant labels. Seriously. “This tasted great, I wonder which variety it was!” “Hm. This square *looks* empty – did I plant seeds here yet?”  “If I knew who you potted seedlings were, I’d know where I planned to transplant you...” “The critters took out *something*that was in this square...” If you could start over- what would you do differently? - Page 4 926169 

Amen to that, Girlfriend.  Embarassed
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 6/30/2018, 11:39 am

Wow!  Great thread!

1.  Siting the original re-purposed windowboxes;  I put them around a tree root hole.  Really dumb.  Yes, it did “hide” the hole, but also not cool as far as weed/grass control.  They are in a modified box with a walk-in place.  I love their dimensions (about 1.5’x varying lengths, and about 12-14 inches deep) but they are falling apart.  They won’t make it too much longer, so will have an opportunity.

2.  Siting my compost pile/and not using a bin-type compost maker; again, put compost in a tree root hole.  Wet, gets anaerobic when tons of rain.  Not very productive.

3.  3’x7’ bed; first year last summer planted 18 tomato plants in there.  Too much!  Too dense.  Not good production.  Converted to strawberry bed!  Much better.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8703

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/30/2018, 5:06 pm

I'm loving this thread!

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21531

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 6/30/2018, 9:37 pm

Scorpio Rising wrote:Wow!  Great thread!

3.  3’x7’ bed; first year last summer planted 18 tomato plants in there.  Too much!  Too dense.  Not good production.  Converted to strawberry bed!  Much better.
"Too dense" is also a mistake I made gardening in the house in the winter. With no breeze, all sorts of bad things happen to inside plants, and jamming them too close together makes it even worse. Now I plant more sparsely and give my inside plants some exersise, either with a fan or just moving them around or shaking them.
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4