Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 28 Toplef10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 28 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 28 I22gcj10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 28 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 28 Toplef10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 28 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 28 I22gcj10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 28 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Spring Flowers
by OhioGardener Today at 8:52 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 4:09 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

California - What are you doing this month?

+29
jan76
GWN
Gardening Barbie
Turan
Judy McConnell
Kelejan
rillgardens
68carguy
FamilyGardening
yolos
walshevak
mazzy
CapeCoddess
Rosbelle
AtlantaMarie
llama momma
PNG_Grandma
paul_vanderwerf
ehaffner1
boffer
kauairosina
Goosegirl
Marc Iverson
Yardslave
Mary429
camprn
audrey.jeanne.roberts
keepercjr
sanderson
33 posters

Page 28 of 40 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 34 ... 40  Next

Go down

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 28 Empty Re: California - What are you doing this month?

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 2/10/2015, 4:10 pm

Our PGE crew came by yesterday to inspect the power pole and have given me permission to plant under it since what I am doing is not going to pose a fire hazard. They've sprayed with a horrible ground killer so for now I'm just going to put deep compost and then wood chips and plant some strawberries for ground cover but won't harvest them for at least a year or so. It hasn't been sprayed now for a year - does anyone know how long that stuff survives in the soil? Weeds are starting to grow there a little bit.

So, with that in mind I have moved 5 wheelbarrow loads of compost up that hill (whew!) and spread it. I have 1/3 of the space left to go. I had to fill in deep ruts and am hoping that the wood chips laid down thickly will stop them from reforming or at least not being as bad.

Planted a 2 x 6 section of bush beans in the ground. I'm going to take a risk that we won't get a cold snap again - I have more seeds than I need anyway so if the first batch doesn't make it we'll just plant again!
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 28 Empty Re: California - What are you doing this month?

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 2/10/2015, 11:12 pm

Here's the hillside I'm repairing.  I did 3 large wheelbarrow loads of compost and 3 loads of wood chips this afternoon - I'll a little whooped tonight.  This is the smallest of the "ravines" that were being cut in the hill.  The other 4 of them have been filled in with compost and covered with 4 inches or so of wood chips.  

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 28 20150210_173010_resized_zps6393f481

I'm trying to keep the dogs out with my pile of junk, LOL!  They were already digging in the compost *deep sigh*

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 28 20150210_173021_resized_zps8a7fed9b

I have elephant garlic, potatoes, egyptian walking onions and purple onions starting to take off.  My seedlings are popping up but they're so tiny right now that they won't even photograph, guess I'll have to wait til next week to show them off!:

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 28 20150210_172925_resized_zps0211c3bb
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/11/2015, 1:44 am

You deserve a bubble bath tonight!

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21562

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 2/11/2015, 8:59 am

+1! 

That's a lot of work, Audrey Jeanne.  But it will be well worth it once it starts producing...
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5602

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 2/11/2015, 9:40 pm

4 more loads today and I think 6-8 more needed to finish the section of the hillside. Strawberries planted so we'll see if they do okay, fingers crossed! If they don't make it (due to the herbicide) we'll just plant some more next year.
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/12/2015, 12:59 am

Audrey, you are getting a real workout.  Today was the first day I've done any hard work since getting the orange tree fed and mulched.  For all my talk, I have only completed seedling 5 trays' worth.  I filled pony packs enough for 2 more trays of flowers (maybe tonight before I go to bed?) and have enough potting MM for the last, and 8th, tray.  I still have the Baker seeds coming so I have to save a tray for them.

Removing the tree has opened up a whole area to sunshine.  My little brain is smoking.  thinking

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/12/2015, 2:10 pm

Well, I walked outside this morning and the sunshine sunny smacked me in the face. As much trouble as the tree gave us in pruning it each year, it did provide shade for the Gardener. Probably plant a xylosma shrub / tree in a container. We have one in the front yard and it is something I can prune myself without husband's help.

On another note, the bok choy are spouting! I turned on the fluorescent tube lights and there they were! bounce

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 2/12/2015, 2:38 pm

Cool! Excited to see how much better things will grow for you with the increased sunshine.

My seeds are sprouting all over the place. Squash, cucumbers and the like are up. I'll need to protect them if we get a cold spell but being outside in the real sunshine really makes a difference - I'm glad I can do that between my greenhouse and the new table tops with the hoop houses I can let the start where they're going to actually grow. In the greenhouse I have some extras in case something direct sown doesn't make it, I can plop them in.
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/12/2015, 3:02 pm

My cantaloupes and cucumbers transplants rotted last spring. Sad Then I direct sowed them a couple times before they survived. Still had plenty of time for them to produce. I wonder if removing the tree will increase the chance of some of my transplants or direct sowed seeds to "take" earlier this spring?? I'd prefer direct sowing beans, squash, melons and cucumbers.

Today I'm going to have to put the sheers over the kale! Shocked And final harvest and remove the snow peas!

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 2/13/2015, 5:11 pm

You might discover that to be a big factor in your problems. Sunlight is so key for growth.

It's downright hot today... I'm concerned we'll have another hot spring which will just murder my lettuce and spring crops Sad
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/14/2015, 1:06 am

Worked shoveling out the last bed set on the ground and actually started sweating.  Yep, unseasonably hot.  The bed was crawling with earth worms.  I didn't see any little wigglers but maybe they are inside the worm tube, which I removed whole.  The orange tree is budding new branches so Saturday will be the final picking and pruning.

DH wants to go dune riding at Pismo next week, so, maybe a few buckets of seaweed!!

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 2/14/2015, 11:00 am

I am almost finished with my hillside section.  I am emptying one of my original table tops of strawberry plants and am going to plant them all along the hillside where I'm fighting with the tree roots.  I figure they're more likely to win that battle than anything that needs deep soil, so we'll see.  

I won't be able to fill the table top again until one of my compost piles gets to heating up again though.  That TT is the most shaded of all my beds so I'm going to make it my lettuce bed for the summer.  It gets late afternoon sun which is still brutal but we'll see if I can have fresh lettuce this summer, last summer it didn't work so well.

Have fun at the beach!
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/19/2015, 2:23 am

We are home from Pismo beach and this is part of the haul.  We collected more after this photo.  DH took the truck to a do it yourself car wash where they have a wand sprayer with cold water to get most of the sand off.  I only have one little area that I can dump sandy water. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 28 Sea_we10

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 2/19/2015, 8:55 am

Wow, Sanderson!  Nice haul!  Your garden will be very happy...
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 28 Empty Sunshine and 70 degree days!

Post  rillgardens 2/19/2015, 9:25 am

For a week we've been in the 'Chetco Effect' which means unseasonally warm sunny days.  While the East Coast is freezing, we're happy as clams on the Pacific Coast.

Pruned all the fruit trees and sprayed before the buds pop.  Been working on the beds inside the big greenhouse to be ready for planting.

Sowed 8 trays of assorted veggies and set them out when the sun shines.

Thinking I need to get the tractor down the hill to turn the compost - a big job for sure but the tractor sure helps!

Starting to arrange my power point, notes and demo items for the SFG Intro. class I'll teach next month.

Other than that....not much going on here!California - What are you doing this month? - Page 28 370856013
rillgardens
rillgardens

Female Posts : 32

http://www.fernwoodsocks.etsy.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 2/19/2015, 10:02 am

Looks like you are getting a lot more done than many of us, rillgardens. You must have quite a large place to be able to turn over your compost using a tractor. Very Happy

It's wonderful that gardening etc allows for all sizes of outfits from pot plants on balconies  to acreage.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 2/19/2015, 12:28 pm

rillgardens wrote:
Other than that....not much going on here!
rofl

Sounds like that's enough!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/20/2015, 3:05 pm

Yesterday we cut up (8"-24") and rinsed (and rinsed and rinsed) the seaweed. Also, threw away the roots after reading Audrey's comment. Thanks, Audrey. DH fetched a lot of horse manure and hauled over the bags of leaves collected this late fall. All ready, except the temp here is 55*F which is uncomfortable for me. I still have to remove the hybrid pile from the compost cage. I guess I will read today, stare at the seedlings and prep the last 85 oranges from our tree for dehydrating.

Any left over manure and seaweed, plus coffee grounds, will be used with some of the sawdust/soil from the stump grinding.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/20/2015, 11:59 pm

I look at the freezing weather some of you have to endure, and I feel like a total wimp. Tomorrow it is supposed to be over 60*F for 5 hours so no excuse for not building the pile. A pleasant surprise is that the hybrid Hugel-Bereley-BTE compost pile I was going to toss in the green waste can is actually pretty nice stuff for covering some of the bare soil around trees, bushes and roses. Good for summer-proofing and worm attraction.

Sort of disappointed with my seedlings this spring compared to the previous 2 spring seedlings. Tomatoes and some flowers look good but I'm still waiting for peppers, and some of the herb and other veggies.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 2/21/2015, 1:15 am

Be alert, I hear we may have some cold weather this next two weeks (cold as defined by California not New England!)  My seedlings are out in the greenhouse and I have a lot of squash, cucumbers and other sensitive things and of course I've gotten lazy since we've been so warm.

Tomorrow I have to set things up again, I tore things apart to clean up in there.
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/21/2015, 2:30 am

With a chance of rain Sunday and Monday. rofl So, tomorrow I have to get everything done.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/21/2015, 12:34 pm

The last bed to be raised!  We finished before we went to Pismo this past week.  DH used 3/4" plywood this time instead of 1/2" on the other beds. The area will be covered with the new wood chips from the RIP Pistachio tree. California - What are you doing this month? - Page 28 Raised12

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 2/21/2015, 8:50 pm

Spent the whole afternoon cleaning up the yard, putting 4 inches of wood chips on my new beds that I have been getting ready for the spring.  Cleaning up the greenhouse and getting things ready for the rain.  A good afternoon's work, but I'm a bit achy Wink
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/21/2015, 9:43 pm

I bet you are achy.  I've spent the day with a migraine. Got nothing done. Wait, not true. This morning before it bloomed, I sliced 2 bags of gifted lemons and put them in the dehydrator, plus some squeezed juice in the freezer in shallow containers until it freezes. See, just having a hard time thinking.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 2/22/2015, 4:34 pm

Felt a lot better today and got the seaweed-manure-leaf compost pile built during the easy rain this morning. Now it can rain all it wants!

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 28 of 40 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 34 ... 40  Next