Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 6 Toplef10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 6 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 6 I22gcj10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 6 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 6 Toplef10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 6 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 6 I22gcj10California - What are you doing this month? - Page 6 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Frequency/amount to water
by lisawallace88 Today at 8:07 am

» Birds of the Garden
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 9:36 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 8:04 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 7:15 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:40 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 5:23 pm

» Anyone know about growing plumeria ?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER Yesterday at 1:54 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:47 pm

» Memorial Day
by sanderson Yesterday at 1:00 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/26/2024, 1:23 pm

» Tomatoes not having growth
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/25/2024, 11:28 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 5/25/2024, 5:35 pm

» Spring Flowers
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/25/2024, 10:47 am

» Dealing with Critters in Garden
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/24/2024, 12:15 am

» Can I sew row cover material?
by ktomchik 5/23/2024, 9:49 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/23/2024, 8:15 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 5/18/2024, 7:02 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

California - What are you doing this month?

+29
jan76
GWN
Gardening Barbie
Turan
Judy McConnell
Kelejan
rillgardens
68carguy
FamilyGardening
yolos
walshevak
mazzy
CapeCoddess
Rosbelle
AtlantaMarie
llama momma
PNG_Grandma
paul_vanderwerf
ehaffner1
boffer
kauairosina
Goosegirl
Marc Iverson
Yardslave
Mary429
camprn
audrey.jeanne.roberts
keepercjr
sanderson
33 posters

Page 6 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next

Go down

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 6 Empty Re: California - What are you doing this month?

Post  sanderson 3/1/2014, 1:04 am

Last thing I need is more seeds!! But thanks for letting us know about the event. I think I will go. Audrey?
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21573

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 6 Empty Re: California - What are you doing this month?

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 3/1/2014, 1:45 am

If we're back that would be great fun but i have a sneaking suspicion that's not going to happen. We WILL get together when I get back  Laughing 
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

http://audreyjeanne-roberts.artistwebsites.com

Back to top Go down

Post  keepercjr 3/2/2014, 1:46 pm

I got all my tomatoes and my cucumbers in the ground yesterday.  I found a few tomato volunteers along the way.  I still have my squash and pumpkins to do but I ran out of screened homemade compost. I have a pile that needs screened (or not - we'll see how much work I want to do).  I plan to finish planting on Tuesday.  Oh and I side dressed my garlic with worm castings.  We are headed up into the snow today and the kids are going to ski tomorrow.  The 10 day forecast here in the valley calls for 70s the entire time except monday!  I had a dream last night that we had a freeze that I wasn't prepared for and was panicking about the tomatoes I planted.  Thank goodness it was only a dream.
keepercjr
keepercjr

Female Posts : 67

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/2/2014, 3:04 pm

I contacted Wayne regarding a 5-gallon bucket of worm castings.  He may screen next week or the following week.  I'm hoping to buy a hand full of worms for 4 worm tubes, 1/4-1/2 pounds.  He said he doesn't have enough to sell but we will see.   Very Happy 

Only a gardener would have a nightmare about a freeze!

Last year I considered everything I did as an experiment, just to see if I could garden.  This year I want everything to work so I am nervous about planting the seedlings.  Half are in the green house and half, including new vermiculite seedlings, are in the house.  I planted half the bean and corn seeds in the boxes and half the seeds in the indoor seedling pots.

So, can I now plant the following seedlings in the boxes (or pots)?  tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, eggplant, summer squash, cantaloupes, winter squash?

Last edited by sanderson on 3/2/2014, 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added more seedlings)
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  keepercjr 3/4/2014, 12:39 am

I wonder how long it takes him to screen the castings.  I think you are safe to plant -I did.  Normally I would probably wait till the middle or end of March but I just can't see it going that low.  The 10 day forecast has stayed steadily in the upper 60s and 70s.  I have my squash outside fully hardened off but not in the ground.  They will hopefully go in tomorrow.  Tomatoes and cukes are in the ground.  I didn't successfully sprout my peppers so I will buy some seedlings - maybe at the fresno state sale.
keepercjr
keepercjr

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/4/2014, 3:28 am

I had trouble sprouting peppers. I finally have some but they are small. One of the free cubanelle pepper seeds sprouted and is doing good. All are still being babied inside until I can up-pot them.

I managed to get 7 varieties of tomatoes, the kale and chard, and 4 varieties of cucumbers planted today. Tomorrow the squashes. I'm short on compost so I will need to build a hot pile real soon. I need more boxes!

I'll call Wayne on Thursday and see how he is doing. Boy, he likes to chat!
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 6 Empty our current harvest

Post  kauairosina 3/4/2014, 11:26 am

We have just picked 5 little okra and there are three baby zukes on two plants.  Just a little soon for the fruit flies and the dreaded fungus.  Wish us more before the nasties arrive.
kauairosina
kauairosina

Female Posts : 656

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 3/5/2014, 11:55 am

I got tired of nursing my peppers and tomato seedlings under lights in my garage and decided to liberate them. Now that there was a break in the rain, I set out my jalapeno, eggplant, and tomato starts. As expected, they just sit there (apparently non the worse) waiting for the soil temperature to raise. I'm wondering if I should tent them, or just give them some "tough love" and let them fend for themselves out in the cold. Any thoughts- please let me know!
Yardslave
Yardslave

Male Posts : 546

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/5/2014, 1:16 pm

Yardslave, I don't know how big of an area you are talking about. Any chance you could make a 3-sided, with top, plastic frame? The air inside will heat up during the day even with one side open.

Maybe others will have ideas. I have a baby green house, 4' x 4' 4 1/2' to transition to the outside and wait out the last frost.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  keepercjr 3/5/2014, 1:43 pm

Yardslave - you could cover them a bit if you want but don't forget that even if you don't see a whole lot going on above ground they are almost surely building up their roots.  How have the temps been?  How long have they been outside?  Did you harden them off before planting them?

I got all but 4 pumpkin plants planted yesterday.  I have to weed the last bed and cut back the thyme and oregano before those can go in.  Hopefully that should happen today.  I had to screen some almost finished compost and there were SO many worms.  It was slow going because I didn't want to damage any of them.  Plus I think my compost screen is a little small so it takes more work.  For each bed I have been adding a lot of homemade compost, a generous dose of worm castings and a bit of mushroom compost that I found in my garage from last year.  

Also - my daughter spilled some carrot seeds in her bed when she was planting carrots and now they have all come up in a huge mass - like 20-30 of them!  Should I try to separate them and replant them somewhere?  Anyone have any ideas?
keepercjr
keepercjr

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/5/2014, 2:27 pm

Keeper, What do you have to lose? See if you can tease a few carrot seedling out and re-plant using Mel's pencil.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 3/7/2014, 1:23 pm

I decided to improvise and use some 1 gallon clear plastic fruit juice jugs to shelter my tomatoes. I just cut the bottoms, left the screw cap off, and set them over the plants. It's been 2 days now and I can see them perking up already! I don't know if it's the plastic cloches or the seedlings getting their feet in some good soil, but so far, so good. The black aphids are back again; time to get after them Twisted Evil  I missed them after last season, when I stopped planting their favorite snack(fava beans) but they now are showing an affinity for my parsnips and beets. I'm going to have to evict them before they really get out of hand. It's been hard to the upper hand with the rains cutting into my insecticidal soap spraying program.
Yardslave
Yardslave

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 3/7/2014, 5:26 pm

Hi y'all. I am really missing my garden. We're settled in and my Dad is home from the hospital. When you talk about the aphids, my heart races a bit knowing that my neighbor isn't that careful and I'll have a mess on my hands. I would love to be wrong - but that would be a really nice surprise... Oh well!

How's the weather been? I weeded some of my dad's yard for him. It's always funny when you have to ask what a weed is and what is a flower seedling, LOL!
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/7/2014, 5:38 pm

Audrey, so nice to hear from you. Light mist this morning and now sun shine. Sounds like your Dad is progressing.

YS, I wrote a reply and thought I sent it. It's not here?? I think the one-gallon protectors sounds perfect.

Keeper, Did the transplant work?
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  keepercjr 3/7/2014, 8:10 pm

I spent a few hours this afternoon out in the garden transplanting carrots.  Oh my I way underestimated how many seeds she spilled.  I think I transplanted between 50 and 60 seedlings.  SO. MUCH. WORK.  It isn't hard work, just very very tedious.  I'm crossing my fingers that they work out.   I just couldn't pull them all out and get rid of them.  We should have a bumper crop of carrots in a few months!
keepercjr
keepercjr

Back to top Go down

Post  audrey.jeanne.roberts 3/8/2014, 11:37 am

Sometimes our "helpers" aren't quite as "helpful" as we could wish for, LOL! However, the memories are priceless  Very Happy 

I paid $2.99 a pound for tomatoes at the store yesterday - only you guys can imagine how hard that was to do!!!! I'm so used to just going out to my greenhouse and picking the next ripe one.

All the trees are starting to bloom out here in Arizona. It's WAY early for them as my dad's a gardener too and his last frost date is May 15.

I found a rhubarb start at their hardware store yesterday so I grabbed it. I bought seeds but they didn't start for me last year. I tried direct sowing them. I had forgotten about those seeds so I'll try to start some more this spring.

Off to take care of Dad. See you guys later!
Audrey
audrey.jeanne.roberts
audrey.jeanne.roberts

Back to top Go down

Post  keepercjr 3/9/2014, 9:20 pm

Here are some pictures of my garden that I snapped today.  The sugar snap peas started blooming about a week - 10 days ago or so. 

All 9 beds and a 5 month old helper  Very Happy :

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 6 Img_4012

Garlic and cherry tomatoes:
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 6 Img_4013

cheddar cauliflower and cucumbers (and volunteer red oak leaf lettuce from some that went to seed last year):

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 6 Img_4014

Some lettuce from the farmer's market and tomatoes:
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 6 Img_4015

pumpkins on one side of the cattle pannel.  The other side has spaghetti squash and some carnation plants that are planted WAY too close but I had no idea as I have never grown them before.  They didn't flower last year but they look great this year and I'm hoping for flowers soon.  The red cups are to deter my cat from digging in the bed since I don't have a cover for those squares.

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 6 Img_4016
keepercjr
keepercjr

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/10/2014, 4:55 am

Keeper, I like the chicken wire cages. Have you grown pumpkins and squash on the cattle panel before this year? You should take a photo to post when they get up there. There was a roll of hog wire for sale on Craig's List but try as I may, I can't fit in any panel trellises.

I finally got the rest of my squares prepped for planting. Got the seedlings for 4 kinds "green" beans planted. Red Noodle, Rattlesnake, Dragon Tongue and Purple Podded. I'm so low on compost that I bought a bag of Ecoscraps to supplement. It actually looks pretty good, at least 100 times better than Kellogg's. The label says vegetables and forest products and there were NO wood chips in it. Time to build a compost pile.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  keepercjr 3/10/2014, 11:03 am

Sanderson - yes I have grown them on the cattle pannel arch before.  I will post pictures of the progress and end result.
keepercjr
keepercjr

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/14/2014, 2:32 am

The weather has been so warm that my little green house reached 100+ degrees even with the flap open.  I broke it down for storage today.  It worked so well.  A (+) note in my journal.  I started breaking down some of the box cover PVC frames.  I had to cannibalize a couple sets to build protective frames for my corn and Dragon Tongue beans.  I caught cat snacking on them.  That and the borage!  I Jerry-rigged some bird netting and plastic to protect the corn and beans tonight.  Tomorrow I will have to properly wrap the perimeter of the frames to keep her out.

I visited Wayne, the Worm man, and got a 5 gallon bucket of castings.  He was also so nice to sell me 1/2 lb. of worms, something he normally doesn't do.  What an interesting garden he has.  (And cat, the official greeter!)  I had no idea that there were thornless blackberries and raspberries!  He uses bio-char.  I couldn't help but think how much better his plants would be if he used MM.  That's tacky of me, I know, but his soil was a dirt mix, and looked dry and kind of, well, less fluffy than MM.  He had some seedling experiments going and had just finished building a pole with spiraling pots.  He seems to love his garden.

I still have a lot of seedlings that need homes.  I could try Craig's list, I suppose, but I would have to charge something because of the seedling cups I bought.  I offered to give some to Wayne but he didn't have any more room.  Like a dummy, I planted some tomatoes up to the first set of leaves!   dangit   I have the remaining three on their sides to turn the stems so I can plant them in a trough.  Dumb, dumb.  Some are starting flowers but I think I am suppose to remove those so they can concentrate on growth.

Can't wait for an update from Audrey this weekend.

YS, What have you been up to?  Have you posted any photos?  I would love to set your garden.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Yardslave 3/15/2014, 7:30 pm

Weather's has been pretty hot in my neighborhood. My cabbage and kale are bolting as I write! If this keeps up, I'm going to have to shade what's left to try to save a season's work.
Yardslave
Yardslave

Back to top Go down

Post  keepercjr 3/15/2014, 8:23 pm

Sanderson I am glad you were able to get the worms and the castings!  I have one tomato seedling that I am trying to give away but the lady who wants it has been a big flake!  I think I will take it with me on Monday to school with the kids and hopefully find a home for it there.  If you were referring to pictures from my garden I posted them above!

I went to the seedling sale at fresno state today.  They knocked the prices down and had a great selection of tomato and other seedlings.  I got 1 tomato (I was saving a space for a different variety), basil and a purple jalapeno. I don't like peppers but I give them to my husband's dad and grandma.
keepercjr
keepercjr

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/16/2014, 3:03 am

Keeper, I intended to go today but the front flower spot was calling me. I have flower seedlings to plant and this was a good spot to start. I weeded, added peat moss, a little cow manure compost, vermiculite and 2 bags of Ecoscraps and troweled it in. Anything, and I mean anything will be a big help in enriching the dirt. DH had just sprayed with pre-emergent so I had to wash all the tools afterwards. Slowly, slowly, I will change him to think "organic." Yes, I saw your photos above. I still have spare veggie seedlings.

Audrey, Can't wait to get an update on your garden after your absence.

Yardslave, I was referring to photos of your garden!!  Very Happy 
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/25/2014, 1:20 am

I can't find the post where I wrote about my cucumbers failing, so I'm using our Regional one.  I had Crystal Apple, Lemon, 8's and Marketmore cucumbers planted and have lost all but one 8, even the replacements.
I've got to try more seedlings now that the soil is a little warmer.  One of the shaded cantaloupes also shriveled.  
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 6 Cucumb10

This is the only survivor.
California - What are you doing this month? - Page 6 Cucumb12
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

California - What are you doing this month? - Page 6 Empty away for a long weekend

Post  kauairosina 3/25/2014, 2:59 am

and the consequences were that our current house sitter is not at all "akamai" (smart) about gardening.  Anyway our seed flat was traumatized as well as the cilantro we had just planted and the ancho peppers and two cukes in earthboxes. Since this person isn't really into the watering I'm going to try to find some one else to pay attention. 

My grandson got one 4 by 4 bed fixed up with irrigation and we are going to make it a point to put drip irrigation in everything else with timers for when we are away, as we are often.  Maybe we can find a way to have everything be on automatic timers.  That could solve a lot of problems.
kauairosina
kauairosina

Female Posts : 656

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next