Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
November Planting in SoCal, time to keep working it and bragging rights time! Toplef10November Planting in SoCal, time to keep working it and bragging rights time! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

November Planting in SoCal, time to keep working it and bragging rights time! I22gcj10November Planting in SoCal, time to keep working it and bragging rights time! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
November Planting in SoCal, time to keep working it and bragging rights time! Toplef10November Planting in SoCal, time to keep working it and bragging rights time! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

November Planting in SoCal, time to keep working it and bragging rights time! I22gcj10November Planting in SoCal, time to keep working it and bragging rights time! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

November Planting in SoCal, time to keep working it and bragging rights time!

5 posters

Go down

November Planting in SoCal, time to keep working it and bragging rights time! Empty November Planting in SoCal, time to keep working it and bragging rights time!

Post  No_Such_Reality 11/1/2013, 4:54 pm

November in SoCal, what can we say, be careful working in your garden this weekend so you don't get a sunburn or heat stroke. It'll be gorgeous for most of southern California. If your beds are like mine that little double dose of teaser rain did wonders.

We are firmly in the season for cool crops. September and October were wonderful months and hopefully November brings the beginnings of good rains and great winter sun. We continue the October kick up

November planting guide
Beets
Broccoli
Bussel Sprouts
Cabbage
Carrots
Cauliflower
Leeks
Lettuce
Onions Bunching
Onions/Garlic sets
Parsley
Peas
Spinach

Get your potatoes ready, we're good to go with them starting end of month. Also, while we don't have it on the list, I've noticed several of my local nurseries carrying Acorn squash starts, I'm tempted to try one since my Zucchini is quickly taking over the neighboring squares. December's cold snaps could prove problematic though so be prepared.

I'm happy to report some great progress with having pushed it in September to plant. My green beans have filled in nicely. They're budding and fresh beans are long away. My turnips, which I thought were beets (note to self, keep better notes) have roared to success. I pulled one yesterday and it's a nice two inch ball. The radishes are getting dumb and fat and my carrots are a little sparse but growing well. The Zucchini is as I mentioned taking over.

I haven't had any luck getting my lettuces to sprout and get going, I'm attributing it to flaky watering on my part and old seeds. New seeds and better watering planned for the weekend.

I've got onion sets ready to go in my supplemental boxes. My strawberries have completely taken over my wine barrel, as has the oregano in the other. My tomato plant is hanging on in the neglected too shady old bed, but no new tomatoes. Finally, we ate our one small Fuji apple fresh from the tree. Very yummy! My plum tree seems to still be growing faster than I can prune it and the Navel Orange tree has a light load of oranges, more than enough for my family and they're starting their orange blush. Probably a month and half to fresh oranges. The meyer lemon has a nice set of fruit on, it's small and not in the best spot but hanging in there.

Finally, the grapes struggled all year, but I've got one green and one red setting up a nice cane to grow from next year.

Hope every one's cool season plans bear fruit!

No_Such_Reality

Male Posts : 666

Back to top Go down

November Planting in SoCal, time to keep working it and bragging rights time! Empty Re: November Planting in SoCal, time to keep working it and bragging rights time!

Post  Lindacol 11/1/2013, 5:06 pm

My garden has been neglected a lot this year but I still have tomatoes, sweet peppers and sweet potatoes growing. Waiting for it to cool off to pull the sweet potatoes that are flowering now. I didn't get any lettuce started either but picked up some starts at the UCS Botanical Gardens Plant Sale last weekend and am waiting for a cooler day to plant them. Will be planting garlic this week and may throw some various seed in just to see what happens.
Lindacol
Lindacol

Back to top Go down

November Planting in SoCal, time to keep working it and bragging rights time! Empty Re: November Planting in SoCal, time to keep working it and bragging rights time!

Post  southern gardener 11/1/2013, 7:04 pm

boy..you're right about being hot and sunburned! it's hot outside! been trying out our "garden swords" we made for watering, and I must say, they are working really nicely! We have a "crew" coming on Sunday to move our boxes to a new location...closer to the rest of the garden. will be topping off all the beds with woodchips and rabbit manure. I'm glad you mentioned potatoes. We bought some and i can't wait to plant them in the new beds! our cabbage family stuff is really looking like it's gonna take off...I think the watering is gonna help it out. Our neighbor dropped off two full barrels of alpaca manure for our compost pile so we are already getting ready for spring too! Thanks for the good update!!
southern gardener
southern gardener

Back to top Go down

Post  No_Such_Reality 10/18/2016, 5:46 pm

Just reviving this thread. November coming up fast.

I'm currently struggling to get new plants to sprout in the garden. Not sure what's going on, our days have been nice mid-70s to mid-80s and over night lows in the low 60s, occasionally dipping to mid-50s.  Later this week, major heat wave coming again with a couple days of 100+ again.

Maybe the whip-saw on temps is messing it up, I don't know.

On the good news front, my butternut squash from the summer survived the powdery mildew onslaughts with several weeks of severe pruning at the signs of powdering leaves.  It now has several squashes set.

Tried the scarification trick on carrots and onions, not much luck.  Planted bush beans and they're not wanting to come up either.  I did have a problem with an opossum ripping up the whole bed though, so maybe too much disruption or the seeds got reburied too deep.
No_Such_Reality

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 10/18/2016, 6:50 pm

I am really having a hard time deciding which winter squash to try next year.  Butternuts are so prevalent, and yummy, but I personally have never dealt with one from saw after seeing a friend nearly amputate her index finger cutting one up!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8687

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/19/2016, 3:15 am

NSR, I can't believe that your area is still that hot. Shocked Fresno is supposed to have the next 10 days in the 70s, perfect weather for outdoor chores. Plus, the plants aren't confused with wide swings of temps. Darn, those opossums.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  No_Such_Reality 10/19/2016, 10:27 am

Scorpio Rising wrote:I am really having a hard time deciding which winter squash to try next year.  Butternuts are so prevalent, and yummy, but I personally have never dealt with one from saw after seeing a friend nearly amputate her index finger cutting one up!

You know that's kind of how I felt about store bought butternuts.  Outside rind hard as a rock and fairly flavorless.  Home grown butternuts, about as easy as peeling a potato and slicing is easy too.  The flavor though, wow.  Much like tomatoes, home grown versus store bought, dramatic taste improvements too.

Our temps are way up because we're heading into another Santa Ana winds event.
No_Such_Reality

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum