Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
First time with SFG in GA...It's working!!! Toplef10First time with SFG in GA...It's working!!! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

First time with SFG in GA...It's working!!! I22gcj10First time with SFG in GA...It's working!!! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
First time with SFG in GA...It's working!!! Toplef10First time with SFG in GA...It's working!!! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

First time with SFG in GA...It's working!!! I22gcj10First time with SFG in GA...It's working!!! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Horsey poop
by MrBooker Today at 5:39 pm

» Calling all juice bar waste composters...
by KiwiSFGnewbie Today at 5:21 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Scorpio Rising Today at 10:10 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising Today at 10:00 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Today at 9:59 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by sanderson Yesterday at 10:53 pm

» Hello From the Kern River Valley from Kernville, Ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 9:52 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 2:46 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 2/25/2024, 1:36 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 2/25/2024, 1:26 am

» Prefab compost question
by DMann 2/24/2024, 12:37 pm

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 2/24/2024, 7:44 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 2/23/2024, 5:39 pm

» Hello from Surrey
by sanderson 2/23/2024, 12:29 am

» Kitty Control
by sanderson 2/22/2024, 10:49 pm

» Western Mount/High Plains: Seed Planting Dates
by Turan 2/22/2024, 4:07 pm

» Jjean59 first SFG - 2024
by Scorpio Rising 2/22/2024, 11:00 am

» Winter Lag - Waiting for Sprimg
by sanderson 2/21/2024, 4:36 pm

» TDs 2024 SFG
by Turan 2/21/2024, 12:09 am

» Hello! From GA! Newbie
by sanderson 2/20/2024, 9:53 pm

» Sweet Potato Slips - Buy or Grow?
by sanderson 2/20/2024, 1:27 pm

» Seeds 'n Such Free Shipping
by sanderson 2/20/2024, 1:09 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 2/19/2024, 5:46 pm

» Hi from Central Oregon
by donnainzone5 2/18/2024, 5:50 pm

» Mealybugs?
by OhioGardener 2/17/2024, 11:02 am

» Holy snow Batman!
by OhioGardener 2/17/2024, 10:59 am

» Second Life for Determinate Tomatoes?
by OhioGardener 2/16/2024, 7:35 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 2/9/2024, 10:52 pm

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by sanderson 2/5/2024, 5:34 pm

» Homemade Seed Starting Mix
by sanderson 2/4/2024, 4:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

First time with SFG in GA...It's working!!!

4 posters

Go down

First time with SFG in GA...It's working!!! Empty First time with SFG in GA...It's working!!!

Post  jillwilliams1 5/31/2012, 10:26 am

Hello from Georgia,
I'm Jill and SFG is new to me this year; I'm a traditional single row grower. I've been toying with the idea of SFG for a couple of years and after last year's miserable crop, I decided to give it a try. I'm so glad I did! I've planted 5 boxes this year and have had to relearn and trust in some new ideas, but have made progress. This forum has been so helpful and I've had several questions answered that helped me really get my own SFG dialed in and I'm seeing results! I'm very hopeful for a good yield this year! Still learning how to use the forum itself...I've posted a recent pic of my progress, hopefully this link will take you there. Thanks everyone, and I hope you have great success with your gardens this season!
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/gallery/Personal-album-of-jillwilliams1/some-of-my-SGF-boxes-pic_3147.htm
jillwilliams1
jillwilliams1

Back to top Go down

First time with SFG in GA...It's working!!! Empty Re: First time with SFG in GA...It's working!!!

Post  walshevak 5/31/2012, 12:28 pm

You have really been working. The beds look wonderful and the plants are healthy looking. Good Job.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

First time with SFG in GA...It's working!!! Empty Re: First time with SFG in GA...It's working!!!

Post  givvmistamps 5/31/2012, 9:48 pm

That looks great! Thanks for sharing. Very Happy What part of GA are you in?
givvmistamps
givvmistamps

Female Posts : 862
Location : Lake City, (NE) FL; USDA Hardiness Zone 8b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 5/31/2012, 11:26 pm

Nice one Jill .

I've only one observation for the asthetics ....next time you make a new bed and use thin strips to mark the squares , try turning the nail upside down and giving the point of the nail a sharp tap with the hammer .. then use it as a nail .. it should stop the slat splitting .

And ...as well ....if you leave the slat an couple of inches over hanging at each end then nail them and cut off the excess once nailed in place they will not usually have split either .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  jillwilliams1 6/1/2012, 8:38 am

Thanks for the tips, suggestions and compliments! I was frustrated by the splitting slats....I also wished that I'd woven the slats before tacking down...I think it would have prevented bowing. But, I'm already making plans for next year and coming up with a layout design that will be more attractive and look more integrated with our lawn area, since these are so close to the house. Live and learn! Smile
@Michelle, I'm located about an hour due west of Atlanta......it's already getting hot! But the tomatoes and peppers seem to love it. I'm stringing and suckering my tomatoes this year instead of allowing them to go completely wild in a wire cage.....I think it's really going to help with the more confined space of the SFG....it's having an effect, the tomatoes have already set blossoms and I see more each day! I was worried about not getting enough fruit with suckering, since I like to can at least 75 quarts of tomatoes each summer.....but I'm impressed with the early blossoms....I have a total of 23 tomato plants across my 5 beds.....we'll see?
jillwilliams1
jillwilliams1

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down