Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
How many bags of leaves will you get this fall? - Page 2 Toplef10How many bags of leaves will you get this fall? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

How many bags of leaves will you get this fall? - Page 2 I22gcj10How many bags of leaves will you get this fall? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
How many bags of leaves will you get this fall? - Page 2 Toplef10How many bags of leaves will you get this fall? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

How many bags of leaves will you get this fall? - Page 2 I22gcj10How many bags of leaves will you get this fall? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:07 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 4:44 pm

» Spring Flowers
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:12 pm

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/18/2024, 8:53 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener 5/18/2024, 7:14 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 5/18/2024, 7:02 pm

» Compost not hot
by OhioGardener 5/17/2024, 8:05 am

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by flossy21 5/16/2024, 5:34 pm

» Help me correct my mistakes for next year please
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 5/16/2024, 4:46 pm

» Cabbage worms
by sanderson 5/16/2024, 1:34 am

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by plantoid 5/14/2024, 7:20 pm

» They don't call 'em garden BEDS for nothing.
by sanderson 5/12/2024, 2:34 am

» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener 5/7/2024, 8:26 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson 5/6/2024, 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

How many bags of leaves will you get this fall?

+17
Triciasgarden
floyd1440
donnainzone5
CapeCoddess
plantoid
Cajunsmoke14
slimbolen99
2SooCrew
Goosegirl
jimmy cee
llama momma
Marc Iverson
bnoles
sanderson
camprn
walshevak
Kelejan
21 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

How many bags of leaves will you get this fall? - Page 2 Empty Re: How many bags of leaves will you get this fall?

Post  donnainzone5 11/6/2013, 5:28 pm

Probably none--although temptation exists!

I collected about 30 trash bags-full last year, and have used only one or two. This year, the leaves are lying temptingly in neighbors' yards, the gutters, etc. (Please note that few cars park along the gutters on my street.)

Nevertheless, I keep having the impulse to collect more....

donnainzone5
donnainzone5

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 2662

http://www.amway.com/DonnaKBecker

Back to top Go down

How many bags of leaves will you get this fall? - Page 2 Empty Re: How many bags of leaves will you get this fall?

Post  floyd1440 11/8/2013, 9:15 pm

I will be out tomorrow to get more leaves.  Both my neighbors have been leaving me piles and I shred them up before putting them in a pile.

So far 4 cu. yards of leaves and hoping for a few more tomorrow.  Snow next week?
floyd1440
floyd1440

Male Posts : 815

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 11/8/2013, 9:59 pm

I managed about thirty bags this year and yesterday some wet snow fell so I think that will be it for this season. I can't believe how swiftly the leaves dropped this time. I think it was due to the dry and sometimes windy weather we had compared to last year when the weather was warm and damp.
My compost pile is being built with dried grass saved during the summer and lots of coffee grounds, kitchen scraps and some bags of horse and chicken manure. The worms should have a nice home for the winter. I just need a couple of half days to finish. the remainder of the leaves have been put on my SFG beds and covered with chicken wire to keep out the local cats,
Looking forward to next spring to see how the garlic and shallots have survived.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Female Posts : 6016

http://www.castlegarinkspot.ca

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/9/2013, 1:27 am

Floyd,  How do you shred them?
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21565

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 11/9/2013, 4:37 am

sanderson wrote:Floyd,  How do you shred them?
Fortunately my neighbors collect their leaves with their riding mowers with baggers, which shreds them to some degree   Then I do the same with my mower until they are about dime size but must admit my neighbor and I purchased a cyclone rake last year and we are seeing a great benefit as after collecting them, you can dump them and pick them up again shredding them in the same proceedure.

He has a 20 x 30 garden plus wants compost for his shrubs to so needs a lot of compost.  Built a temporary open bin 4x8x16 but will decide if it was the correct size and adjust next year. This pile will "cold compost" through the winter and put batches in smaller bins with more greens starting next spring.

Nice to have help.....
floyd1440
floyd1440

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 11/12/2013, 4:13 pm

slimbolen99 wrote:The only problem with having that many leaves is keeping them wet enough during the winter, and turning them occasionally.
How about wetting them and then put a tarp over them and anchor the edges.
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 11/12/2013, 4:21 pm

I still have some leaves from last year corralled but reading this post is getting me a bit excited to get more for this year.  Last year I put up a sign on my front fence and had people drop loads of bags of leaves off.  I didn't get anywhere near the amount LM got but it was plenty.  As I was using some of those leaves in the late summer to mix with my greens for my compost pile, the smell reminded me of my childhood at my grandmothers house.  I love the smell!  I was careful not to inhale the powdery mold stuff that flies off the leaves though.
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Back to top Go down

Post  floyd1440 11/12/2013, 8:25 pm

Currently I have stashed up 7 cu.yards of leaves to date.  They are all shredded so my neighbor and I should be good for next year as he has a 20x30 garden.

The first time I tried composting it was spring and browns were hard to find so I figure better have more than I may need.
floyd1440
floyd1440

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 11/12/2013, 9:07 pm

Good thinking Floyd!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/13/2013, 1:00 am

So far I have 30 gallons (1/2 compost bag) of Chinese pistachio leaves.  I hope to collect enough this fall to have a full bag after running over them with the lawn mower.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 11/13/2013, 12:46 pm

The leaves have finally started to drop off our oak trees , it's a good job I have a decent net system over the pond.

Holly aka Munchkin  & I collected just over 1.5 cubic feet of leaves yesterday late afternoon . I hope to be able to suck them through eh garden vacuum mulcher some time tomorrow if it's not raining. 
 Best of all as I was raking them in to a heap I saw a bit of thin green plastic in the wet leaves .
Annoyed that the wind had yet again blown someone's rubbish into the back garden, I picked it up and put it in my pocket for the next time I went by the bin area..

T'is a good  habit I've developed , for when I walked over to the dustbin as I took it out the pocket after we had finished leaf collecting I saw it was some kind of money looking type plastic note. But as it was by now dark and tea was ready I put it back in my pocket to look at in depth after teatime.
 After tea with my glasses on my face  I looked at it carefully , at first I thought it was some sort of  Micky Mouse kiddies play money then I got a bit excited for there was the words Australia on one side and some figures. A quick check on the internet  indicated that it might indeed be one of the plastic  Australian bank notes , worth around £ 57.00

I had a pang of guilt about the origins of the note so went and reported the find to the police as lost property that been found. If no one claims it by UK law  in six weeks it's mine .

Who says it's an ill wind that blows no good ?  Where it came from is anybody's guess .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4097

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/13/2013, 1:45 pm

Very Happy
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 11/13/2013, 4:26 pm

Boy has adding more carbon helped my very green-heavy pile. Now it's steaming all over the place, not just in a lucky small pocket here and there(or not at all). I'm letting some huge boxes soak in the rain to make them easier to tear up, and they're going in a little every day, too. Later in the day I'll take the dogs out and grab a couple more bags of leaves. Considering all the horse poop I get every day, it's all but impossible to have too many dead leaves or other carbon to help balance it all out.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 11/13/2013, 8:15 pm

Ir's all a matter of balance, marc.
Lasr year I had too many browns and only managed to add the greens when springtime came around and the grass needed mowing.
I have finally got the balance right, I save the browns until I get the greens, and when the greens are more plentiful I save them until the leaves fall. The browns are easier to store, but the greens can be a bit tricky which is why I dry the grass in the summer until it is needed.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 11/14/2013, 12:03 am

Greens I've got year-round thanks to the horse poop(and we generate a surprising amount of kitchen scraps), but it's become apparent that I need to plan in advance, like you've been doing, for the browns. I need to keep bags of leaves on hand (or other browns) year-round, or I'll always have a balance shifted way too much toward the green. Which means I have to store up a kinda gargantuan amount of leaves now.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 11/14/2013, 6:28 am

I use wire hoops for storage, instead of bags. Efficient and better for the pocketbook and environment.

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

How many bags of leaves will you get this fall? - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  slimbolen99 11/15/2013, 12:19 pm

The park service guy estimated he got '70' lawnmower bags full, or about 100 big lawn bags equivalent.

BEFORE:
How many bags of leaves will you get this fall? - Page 2 20131115_091419_zps83aadec7

DURING:
How many bags of leaves will you get this fall? - Page 2 20131115_102822_zpsc80e0198

AFTER -- Do I win?:
How many bags of leaves will you get this fall? - Page 2 20131115_105725_zps759ac85b
slimbolen99
slimbolen99

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/15/2013, 4:28 pm

You'll need to put GPS trackers on the kiddies!Very Happy
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  plantoid 11/15/2013, 7:13 pm

Do check your kids & pets for TICKs if they've been playing in a deep heap of  damp leaves .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4097

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 11/15/2013, 9:49 pm

You do realize there is an aweful lot of work still to be done?
But it will be worth it. Eventually.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  slimbolen99 11/16/2013, 9:05 am

It's cheaper, and easier IMO, than having a truck load of compost hauled in!  Just have to have patience.
slimbolen99
slimbolen99

Back to top Go down

Post  Kelejan 11/16/2013, 9:34 am

slimbolen99 wrote:It's cheaper, and easier IMO, than having a truck load of compost hauled in!  Just have to have patience.
I agree with that.
Kelejan
Kelejan

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/18/2013, 1:02 am

So far, one 60 gallon compost bag, one 33 gal can.  All I have is one pistachio tree:
How many bags of leaves will you get this fall? - Page 2 Greenh13

How many bags of leaves will you get this fall? - Page 2 Pistac10
How many bags of leaves will you get this fall? - Page 2 Leaves10
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  bnoles 11/18/2013, 6:58 am

I do like that little pvc greenhouse frame!  Very Happy

I want to see more on how you cover it and with what.
bnoles

Male Posts : 804

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 11/18/2013, 1:57 pm

Bob,  Thanks.  I will be posting a couple more photos under "The Winter Journey and greenhouse plastic topic."
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next