Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Square Foot Gardening In Singapore - Page 2 Toplef10Square Foot Gardening In Singapore - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Square Foot Gardening In Singapore - Page 2 I22gcj10Square Foot Gardening In Singapore - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Square Foot Gardening In Singapore - Page 2 Toplef10Square Foot Gardening In Singapore - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Square Foot Gardening In Singapore - Page 2 I22gcj10Square Foot Gardening In Singapore - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Onions. Walk on?
by OhioGardener Today at 9:25 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener Today at 8:13 am

» New to SFG and in Virgina
by sanderson Today at 1:38 am

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by Scorpio Rising Yesterday at 10:38 am

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/26/2024, 5:56 pm

» 6 metal trellis frames
by docachna 3/25/2024, 4:31 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/24/2024, 3:01 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 3/24/2024, 1:28 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 3/23/2024, 6:02 pm

» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by neefer 3/23/2024, 12:33 am

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by CantersVary 3/22/2024, 7:50 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/22/2024, 5:07 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by OhioGardener 3/22/2024, 2:09 pm

» Victory Garden Reboot
by Scorpio Rising 3/22/2024, 11:53 am

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/22/2024, 11:43 am

» Commercial (bagged or bulk) compost question
by Mikesgardn 3/21/2024, 7:09 pm

» Think Spring 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/20/2024, 10:34 am

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by sanderson 3/19/2024, 4:51 pm

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener 3/18/2024, 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Square Foot Gardening In Singapore

+9
Scorpio Rising
AtlantaMarie
yslow
bigcow
sanderson
RoOsTeR
camprn
murarrie25
merelydicta
13 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Square Foot Gardening In Singapore - Page 2 Empty Hi From Singapore

Post  yslow 10/17/2015, 5:27 am

Hi all,
   Have anyone tried Welgro Substrates before?
yslow
yslow

Back to top Go down

Square Foot Gardening In Singapore - Page 2 Empty Re: Square Foot Gardening In Singapore

Post  AtlantaMarie 10/17/2015, 9:35 am

Hi Yslow!  Welcome from Atlanta, GA (SE USA).  Glad you're here!

Can't give you any advice as I have not used them.  You might want to do a search of the archives.  Just put Welgro in the search box in the upper left corner, make sure Inside is clicked, and then hit Go.

If no one has used them, I'm sure we'd like to hear more about them....  I've found most of us on here are avid learners!
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5600

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Square Foot Gardening In Singapore - Page 2 Empty Re: Square Foot Gardening In Singapore

Post  yslow 10/17/2015, 10:04 am

Welgro superior substrates potting mix is the preferred choice of professional growers.

Benefits includes:

• Lightweight substrate mix which has been scientifically blended to provide optimum plant growth conditions.

• Excellent water permeability and high porosity, thus making it the preferred planting media for high-rainfall locations.

• Highly sustainable quality (non hardening).

• Optimal balance between EC, ph-KCI, CaCO3, PH<6.

• Pre-mixed application makes it easy for repotting. You will see the difference as it rejuvenates potted plants in a short while.

• Mix with existing garden soil to improve aeration and provide additional nutrients, which will result in better-quality plant growth.

Ready to use!

The ideal planting for:
• Outdoor and indoor plants
• Pots, troughs, boxes and planters
• Landscaping & garden use
yslow
yslow

Back to top Go down

Post  yslow 10/17/2015, 10:07 am

yslow wrote:Welgro superior substrates potting mix is the preferred choice of professional growers.

Benefits includes:

• Lightweight substrate mix which has been scientifically blended to provide optimum plant growth conditions.

• Excellent water permeability and high porosity, thus making it the preferred planting media for high-rainfall locations.

• Highly sustainable quality (non hardening).

• Optimal balance between EC, ph-KCI, CaCO3, PH<6.

• Pre-mixed application makes it easy for repotting. You will see the difference as it rejuvenates potted plants in a short while.

• Mix with existing garden soil to improve aeration and provide additional nutrients, which will result in better-quality plant growth.

Ready to use!

The ideal planting for:
• Outdoor and indoor plants
• Pots, troughs, boxes and planters
• Landscaping & garden use

I'm looking to use the above as a substitute for Vermiculite as it is not found in Singapore.
yslow
yslow

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/17/2015, 2:25 pm

Yslow, Welcome to the Forum from California, USA! glad you\'re here Do you know what the ingredients are? I looked up the product and found what you posted, but it doesn't list the ingredients. If you can't find vermiculite or peat moss, just do the best you can. The compost is the most important part of a mix as this is what feeds that does state that it is good for high-rain areas. Are you trying All New Square Foot Gardening in raised beds or containers? We are here to help you.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21495

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 10/17/2015, 2:46 pm

Welcome, yslow! That would be a challenge for sure. Found a blog that tried the Welgrow substrate, almost looks like a perlite mix?

http://clothedinpetals.blogspot.com/2014/06/product-review-welgrow-superior.html

Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Female Posts : 8687

Back to top Go down

Post  yslow 10/17/2015, 7:39 pm

Indeed there is no information on the Substrate mixed what material it is using. Anyway will mixed with organic compost and peat moss to try to do some planting. Have finally constructed my 2 X 2 ft square box to test out the soil mixed. 

Does anyone have any idea how much organic compost + Peat moss and Substrate to put into the 2 X 2 ft square box? 30 liters Compost + 30 liters Substrate + 5kg peat moss?
yslow
yslow

Back to top Go down

Post  yslow 10/17/2015, 7:41 pm

sanderson wrote:Yslow,  Welcome to the Forum from California, USA!  glad you\'re here  Do you know what the ingredients are?  I looked up the product and found what you posted, but it doesn't list the ingredients.  If you can't find vermiculite or peat moss, just do the best you can.  The compost is the most important part of a mix as this is what feeds that does state that it is good for high-rain areas.  Are you trying All New Square Foot Gardening in raised beds or containers?  We are here to help you.

Yes, doing a 2 X 2ft Raised Bed made using Pallet wood.
yslow
yslow

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/18/2015, 2:11 am

5+ cm each of pure compost, perlite/vermiclite, and peat moss/coco coir, if available, in each square.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  yslow 10/18/2015, 8:39 am

sanderson wrote:5+ cm each of pure compost, perlite/vermiclite, and peat moss/coco coir, if available, in each square.

Thank for the advice.
yslow
yslow

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 10/18/2015, 9:29 am

Yes, Mel calls for equal parts of each. Compost, inert fluffy thing (vermiculite/perlite/substrate) and peat/coir.
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  AtlantaMarie 10/18/2015, 9:52 am

On your pallets - how are they treated?  Heat, chemical?

I know there are codes stamped on them.  But I can't remember what means which.  Can anyone help us out here?
AtlantaMarie
AtlantaMarie

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 5600

http://www.defensivespecialties.com

Back to top Go down

Post  yslow 10/18/2015, 10:18 am

AtlantaMarie wrote:On your pallets - how are they treated?  Heat, chemical?

I know there are codes stamped on them.  But I can't remember what means which.  Can anyone help us out here?

No idea. No markings whatsoever. I just collected them as they are being thrown in the dump. But they look like untreated wood. Probably i take a photo and post.
yslow
yslow

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 10/18/2015, 10:24 am

Follow this link where we were discussing pallets.  Hope this helps.  But I am sure that the rules are different in other countries.

Re: Do pallets contain pressure treated wood?
Square Foot Gardening In Singapore - Page 2 Empty  yolos on 3/29/2012, 9:55 am

I work for a pallet manufacturing company on the Southside of Atlanta, Ga. Very rarely we have a customer who may want a pallet made from pressure treated wood (but not very often and we do not stock pressure treated wood because it is used so seldom). The majority of our pallets are made from oak. Kiln dried pine is also used.

The one problem with pallets would be if they were treated with a chemical (Methal Bromide) to kill any insects which may be inside the wood. If the pallets are being sent out of (or into) the USA, they have to be treated for wood boring insects. Most pallet companies that I am familiar with heat treat the pallets to kill the insects rather than using a chemical. If the pallets are heat treated, they are stamped with a symbol and the initials HT. If the pallets are treated with Methal Bromide they are stamped with a symbol and the initials MB.

Another possible problem with pallets are chemicals used by the pallet companies to retard mold. We occasionally have a customer who will ask to have the pallets treated for mold because they will be shipping the pallets overseas in containers (or for other reasons) and they may want them treated for mold. We use freshly cut lumber so there is a great deal of moisture still in the wood which will lead to mold in humid conditions. There are no stamps or other indications on the pallets showing they have been treated for mold. We use a brand name chemical called X-mold. I do not know what chemicals other companies use. If the pallet is made from pine, they will not be treated with this chemical because the pine is all kiln dried.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  yslow 10/18/2015, 10:41 am

yolos wrote:Follow this link where we were discussing pallets.  Hope this helps.  But I am sure that the rules are different in other countries.

Re: Do pallets contain pressure treated wood?
Square Foot Gardening In Singapore - Page 2 Empty  yolos on 3/29/2012, 9:55 am

I work for a pallet manufacturing company on the Southside of Atlanta, Ga. Very rarely we have a customer who may want a pallet made from pressure treated wood (but not very often and we do not stock pressure treated wood because it is used so seldom). The majority of our pallets are made from oak. Kiln dried pine is also used.

The one problem with pallets would be if they were treated with a chemical (Methal Bromide) to kill any insects which may be inside the wood. If the pallets are being sent out of (or into) the USA, they have to be treated for wood boring insects. Most pallet companies that I am familiar with heat treat the pallets to kill the insects rather than using a chemical. If the pallets are heat treated, they are stamped with a symbol and the initials HT. If the pallets are treated with Methal Bromide they are stamped with a symbol and the initials MB.

Another possible problem with pallets are chemicals used by the pallet companies to retard mold. We occasionally have a customer who will ask to have the pallets treated for mold because they will be shipping the pallets overseas in containers (or for other reasons) and they may want them treated for mold. We use freshly cut lumber so there is a great deal of moisture still in the wood which will lead to mold in humid conditions. There are no stamps or other indications on the pallets showing they have been treated for mold. We use a brand name chemical called X-mold. I do not know what chemicals other companies use. If the pallet is made from pine, they will not be treated with this chemical because the pine is all kiln dried.

Just confirm my pallets are all HT as i've just examine the pallet stamp. Is it safe to use for SFG? My SFG box is ready although i've yet to pour in the soil mix.
yslow
yslow

Back to top Go down

Post  yolos 10/18/2015, 11:03 am

Glad to hear that they have the HT stamp.  There is really no way to know what else they have been treated with that doesn't have to be stamped on the pallets.  Also, you have to worry about any product that was transported on them that might have leaked.  I use them for building compost bins.  Based on my experiences with the pallet industry in the US, I would use them.
yolos
yolos

Female Posts : 4152

Back to top Go down

Post  yslow 10/18/2015, 11:12 am

yolos wrote:Glad to hear that they have the HT stamp.  There is really no way to know what else they have been treated with that doesn't have to be stamped on the pallets.  Also, you have to worry about any product that was transported on them that might have leaked.  I use them for building compost bins.  Based on my experiences with the pallet industry in the US, I would use them.

Possible home furniture or tiles as i've pick them up at housing estates dumping area.
yslow
yslow

Back to top Go down

Post  yslow 10/18/2015, 11:14 am

yslow wrote:
yolos wrote:Glad to hear that they have the HT stamp.  There is really no way to know what else they have been treated with that doesn't have to be stamped on the pallets.  Also, you have to worry about any product that was transported on them that might have leaked.  I use them for building compost bins.  Based on my experiences with the pallet industry in the US, I would use them.

Possible home furniture or tiles as i've pick them up at housing estates dumping area.

The size of Pallet is quite small though. Rough estimated 1 metre in length and 50 ~ 60 com in breadth.
yslow
yslow

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/18/2015, 2:39 pm

This is just my thought, not a fact. I don't think they have been secondarily treated since it would cost extra $$ labor/ time, product and/or equipment. If they looked clean and didn't smell, they are probably okay to use for your garden. Just my thought.

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  yslow 10/20/2015, 11:21 am

My First attempt at SFG

https://i.servimg.com/u/f21/19/34/28/78/sfg1bo12.jpg
yslow
yslow

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 10/20/2015, 1:28 pm

Very Happy Square Foot Gardening In Singapore - Page 2 3170584802

sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Marc Iverson 10/20/2015, 1:51 pm

Nice. I'll be interested to see what you do with that frame.
Marc Iverson
Marc Iverson

Male Posts : 3638

Back to top Go down

Post  Scorpio Rising 10/20/2015, 8:12 pm

And so it begins... Lol! Yay!
Scorpio Rising
Scorpio Rising

Back to top Go down

Post  yslow 10/21/2015, 8:35 am

A question which i have in mind. What do you do after harvesting the first round? Do you still keep the plants or rotate into another crop?
yslow
yslow

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 10/21/2015, 8:43 am

In my case, when a plant has reached the end of it's career, I will plant another.
Weather of course in my climate being a factor.
For example, tomato's are done, pull them out...add compost....plant items that do well in cool / cold weather.
snow peas / chard / spinach / broccoli / lettuce / etc.   Some of these plants needed to have been started previously in small containers.
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next