Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello from Northwest Florida! Toplef10Hello from Northwest Florida! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello from Northwest Florida! I22gcj10Hello from Northwest Florida! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Hello from Northwest Florida! Toplef10Hello from Northwest Florida! 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Hello from Northwest Florida! I22gcj10Hello from Northwest Florida! 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» N & C Midwest: October 2024
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 4:46 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by donnainzone5 10/2/2024, 6:09 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by OhioGardener 10/1/2024, 12:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: September 2024
by OhioGardener 9/30/2024, 4:13 pm

» The SFG Journey-Biowash
by OhioGardener 9/29/2024, 8:33 am

» Fall is For Garlic Planting
by Scorpio Rising 9/28/2024, 12:19 am

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 9/22/2024, 11:24 am

» source for chemical-free lanscape fabric
by Woodsong 9/19/2024, 10:51 am

» Hurricane
by sanderson 9/14/2024, 5:42 pm

» Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas
by sanderson 9/12/2024, 2:09 am

» Old Mulch and Closing Beds for Winter
by Scorpio Rising 9/11/2024, 8:23 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 9/11/2024, 8:20 pm

» Pest Damage
by WBIowa 9/8/2024, 2:48 pm

» cabbage moth?
by jemm 9/8/2024, 9:15 am

» adding compost yearly
by sanderson 9/5/2024, 2:16 am

» N & C Midwest: August 2024
by OhioGardener 8/31/2024, 8:13 pm

» Article - Create a Seed Library to Share the Extras
by OhioGardener 8/26/2024, 4:09 pm

» Best Tasting Parthenocarpic Cucumber?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 7:07 pm

» Winter Squash Arch
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 8:02 am

» Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries
by OhioGardener 8/19/2024, 10:09 am

» Looking for a local source for transplants.... Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:26 am

» Hi, y'all. I'm new to everything in Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:21 am

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 8/14/2024, 5:47 pm

» Hi from N. Georgia
by AtlantaMarie 8/13/2024, 8:57 am

» Hello from Atlanta, Georgia
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:09 am

» growing tomatoes from seed outside
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:05 am

» 15-Minute Garlic Sautéed Eggplant
by Scorpio Rising 8/12/2024, 7:25 pm

» Downsizing Gardens for the Autumn of our lives
by Hollysmac 8/6/2024, 10:37 pm

» Golden Beets
by Scorpio Rising 8/6/2024, 7:03 pm

» Hi all!
by sanderson 8/6/2024, 12:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Hello from Northwest Florida!

4 posters

Go down

Hello from Northwest Florida! Empty Hello from Northwest Florida!

Post  Gardenerd 7/30/2013, 1:16 pm

I have finally traded in my buckets and together with my husband built two beds that are 3'X8' - I have been using this site coupled with another companion planting site to draw up some plans for a Fall garden. I decided to join so that I can share my plans and get some input from more experienced gardeners on the square foot plan!

I used an Excel spreadsheet to (very roughly) plan out our garden - it doesn't have all the measurements laid out on it but the spacing between the beds, sidewalk, fence, and any other obstacle is 3'

I'm not going to post the plans here, in case there is a more appropriate thread for that. Just wanted to drop in and say hello. Looking forward to a fruitful relationship with this site AND my garden sunny
Gardenerd
Gardenerd

Female Posts : 10

Back to top Go down

Hello from Northwest Florida! Empty Re: Hello from Northwest Florida!

Post  sanderson 7/30/2013, 4:02 pm

Welcome from a California SFG Newbie. glad you\'re here 

Are you using the Square Foot Gardening method in your beds? Have you read the newest edition of All New Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew? There are a lot of experienced and new gardeners on this Forum, so you will have lots of support.

Again, Welcome.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21612

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Gardenerd 7/31/2013, 10:04 am

Thank you, Sanderson! I have not read the newest edition of the book but I do own the first (have not read cover to cover though). I do intend to utilize SFG for these two beds Very Happy

I am going to post a screen shot of my plans as soon as I tweak them a bit after some advice I received on Reddit (specifically r/gardening).

I appreciate your welcome and words of encouragement! Hello from Northwest Florida! 3170584802
Gardenerd
Gardenerd

Back to top Go down

Post  grownsunshine 7/31/2013, 11:38 am

Welcome to the forum Gardenerd!

I was out in South Florida in the end of April/beginning of May. Loved the weather at that time of year, except when it rains...man! You wouldn't call what we get in So Cal rain...probably drizzle, ha, ha. If your avitar is your SFG, you might get a little flack for not having grids. People here are sticklers for following the book. I'm a new SFGer and have learned so much from everyone! Anyway, good luck with your garden and post pics when you can. We love pics Very Happy 
grownsunshine

Back to top Go down

Post  Gardenerd 7/31/2013, 12:20 pm

Thank you, grownsunshine!

That was my very first raised bed 3 years ago! We sure screwed that one up, LOL! Crammed everything in there waaaay too tight. We've come a long way from there - I just use that picture because it has our Halo bird in it Smile

Yeah... rain. It doesn't rain here, it monsoons... It's something we have to contend with every year and sometimes it completely drowns our garden. Over the 4 July holiday we got 17" of rain. Luckily, where we live now is much higher elevation than the surrounding area - we're on a bayou and the land slopes down to the water and our house is 'on the hill' but still, 17" was enough to burst all of the tomatoes that were on the vine. Truthfully, we have two tomato seasons: I start seeds in Dec. for Spring and again in July for Fall. I don't grow tomatoes during July-August because... deluge.

We were in SoCal in June of 2011 for a wedding. The weather is so perfect. Our bartender at the Yard House in downtown San Diego was from Ft. Lauderdale and said he missed thunderstorms - I could imagine that... but I could definitely get used to my skin not melting off in the summer heat and humidity we have here.

The beds are built and there's some soil in one of them but they aren't ready to plant yet. Once we get the soil in there, we'll grid them out Smile
Gardenerd
Gardenerd

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 7/31/2013, 9:02 pm

Went to east coast Florida with my husband on a business trip.  I drove out to see some giant mall [Sawgrass?] and on the highway drive back to the hotel, the rain cut loose!  I could NOT SEE the car in front of me!  I waded in 1 foot of water to get from the car to the hotel.  I think I would have pole barns over my boxes to garden there!Smile
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21612

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  Gardenerd 8/13/2013, 10:34 am

sanderson wrote:Went to east coast Florida with my husband on a business trip.  I drove out to see some giant mall [Sawgrass?] and on the highway drive back to the hotel, the rain cut loose!  I could NOT SEE the car in front of me!  I waded in 1 foot of water to get from the car to the hotel.  I think I would have pole barns over my boxes to garden there!Smile
I told my husband that I truly need a pair of Wellies. I have my deck shoes for the boat that I wade around the yard in,when necessary, but as it is - I don't usually go outside when it starts pouring.
Not to mention, I am so afraid of lightning. I was sitting in traffic a few years ago at an intersection waiting for the light and suddenly all the hair, everywhere, not tied down, stood at attention. I was looking out the windshield and a straight beam of light ignited the Walgreens sign about 30' to my left and it exploded, right before my eyes. I flipped! Turned right around and went back to the office that sent me out for an errand. "Never again!" I said "You'll have to fire me!"
You know how lightning forks through the sky? When it hits that close - it's just a beam of light, a brilliant blue. An awesome sight but a sobering one, as well.
Gardenerd
Gardenerd

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 8/14/2013, 2:05 pm

Welcome to the forum Gardnerd!  I used to use the older version of the SFG book and most of my beds were filled according to that way.  I did just this year fill a new bed with the 1/3 compost, 1/3 vermiculite and 1/3 peat moss.  Wow that is the greatest stuff to grow in and work with and it is beautiful!  My plants in that bed grew so much faster than my other beds and the tomatoes and cantaloupe I planted there came from the four pack pony packs and were spindly and barely alive from spending too much time cooped up because I didn't have that bed filled yet.  My older beds always need so much extra of everything.

I used my own compost that I made myself (pat on the back) and I made sure I gave that pile a big variety of ingredients.  The reason for the pat on the back was it finally got done and I finally used it, lol.

My goal which will be over time is to empty out all the beds, spread them out at least the three feet like yours and fill them with the better way of doing MM.  Most of my beds are currently spaced about two feet apart.  I would recommend that you at least read on this forum how to make the new Mel's mix.  If you have to buy compost, make sure you get it from five different sources.  Watch for noticeable wood and peat moss as a lot of bags will have both.  The uncomposted wood will rob nitrogen from your soil and plants.  The extra peat moss will throw your balance of it off if you are using your 1/3 of it already.  You can try to balance it out by using less peat moss but it is a guessing game on how much they put in the bag.

I couldn't imagine that much rain spread out for even a week!  That higher sign attracting the lighting sure was nice to have, but that lightning can still travel outward.  You were sure lucky that day!

Your halo bird sure is beautiful!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1633

Back to top Go down

Post  Gardenerd 8/14/2013, 4:40 pm

Triciasgarden wrote:Welcome to the forum Gardnerd!  I used to use the older version of the SFG book and most of my beds were filled according to that way.  I did just this year fill a new bed with the 1/3 compost, 1/3 vermiculite and 1/3 peat moss.  Wow that is the greatest stuff to grow in and work with and it is beautiful!  My plants in that bed grew so much faster than my other beds and the tomatoes and cantaloupe I planted there came from the four pack pony packs and were spindly and barely alive from spending too much time cooped up because I didn't have that bed filled yet.  My older beds always need so much extra of everything.

I used my own compost that I made myself (pat on the back) and I made sure I gave that pile a big variety of ingredients.  The reason for the pat on the back was it finally got done and I finally used it, lol.

My goal which will be over time is to empty out all the beds, spread them out at least the three feet like yours and fill them with the better way of doing MM.  Most of my beds are currently spaced about two feet apart.  I would recommend that you at least read on this forum how to make the new Mel's mix.  If you have to buy compost, make sure you get it from five different sources.  Watch for noticeable wood and peat moss as a lot of bags will have both.  The uncomposted wood will rob nitrogen from your soil and plants.  The extra peat moss will throw your balance of it off if you are using your 1/3 of it already.  You can try to balance it out by using less peat moss but it is a guessing game on how much they put in the bag.

I couldn't imagine that much rain spread out for even a week!  That higher sign attracting the lighting sure was nice to have, but that lightning can still travel outward.  You were sure lucky that day!

Your halo bird sure is beautiful!
(unless you're a dude) You go girl! On the compost area - that's awesome Smile
We just got our heap started back up so I doubt we'll have any of our own for a while. We're going to amend the soil as we plant. It isn't the best option but it's what we have to work with, for now. Each hole we dig will have different compost, peat, and vermiculite added in. I can say that the compost we bought in bulk this time is much better looking than what we got last year. It certainly doesn't pool water like the last stuff did! Very free draining from what I could see after the downpour we got yesterday.

Now-a-days, I don't even go outside during a storm; I considered myself lucky that day also. "If you're close enough to hear thunder, you're close enough to get hit by lightning" - I drink to that Hello from Northwest Florida! 3170584802
and stay inside! lol Smile

Thank you for complementing Halo - my vet told me if I kept her on her diet, she would live forever and I said, "isn't that the point?" She's spoiled rotten and loved dearly I love you

I appreciate your welcome and words of advice - doesn't fall on deaf ears.
Gardenerd
Gardenerd

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum