Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
My neighbor thinks I should move my garden! - Page 2 Toplef10My neighbor thinks I should move my garden! - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

My neighbor thinks I should move my garden! - Page 2 I22gcj10My neighbor thinks I should move my garden! - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
My neighbor thinks I should move my garden! - Page 2 Toplef10My neighbor thinks I should move my garden! - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

My neighbor thinks I should move my garden! - Page 2 I22gcj10My neighbor thinks I should move my garden! - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Birds of the Garden
by OhioGardener Today at 8:26 pm

» N & C Midwest—May 2024
by OhioGardener Today at 2:25 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 3:36 pm

» Greetings from Southport NC
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:36 am

» In the news: Biosolids in Texas.
by sanderson Yesterday at 4:19 am

» Rhubarb Rhubarb
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:57 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by Scorpio Rising 5/5/2024, 7:55 pm

» Complicated mixed up bunny poop!
by jemm 5/5/2024, 7:24 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by markqz 5/4/2024, 12:08 am

» question about the digital tools from the sfg site.
by OhioGardener 5/2/2024, 4:50 pm

» Assistance Needed: Sugar Snap Peas Yellowing and Wilting
by Scorpio Rising 5/1/2024, 8:24 pm

» OMG, GMO from an unexpected place.
by sanderson 5/1/2024, 1:57 am

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/29/2024, 1:30 pm

» Lovage, has anyone grown, or used
by OhioGardener 4/29/2024, 12:27 pm

» New to SFG in Arlington, Tx
by sanderson 4/26/2024, 3:13 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by OhioGardener 4/25/2024, 5:20 pm

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by Mhpoole 4/24/2024, 7:08 pm

» Advice on my blend
by donnainzone5 4/24/2024, 12:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener 4/24/2024, 8:16 am

» What do I do with tomato plants?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/23/2024, 1:36 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by sanderson 4/22/2024, 2:07 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/22/2024, 10:36 am

» From the Admin - 4th EDITION of All New Square Foot Gardening is in Progress
by sanderson 4/21/2024, 5:02 pm

» Seedling Identification
by AuntieBeth 4/21/2024, 8:00 am

» Happy Birthday!!
by AtlantaMarie 4/21/2024, 6:56 am

» Three Sisters Thursday
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 5:25 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 4/20/2024, 3:08 pm

» Compost not hot
by Guinevere 4/19/2024, 11:19 am

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 11:22 pm

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson 4/18/2024, 12:25 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

My neighbor thinks I should move my garden!

+14
gwennifer
No_Such_Reality
CapeCoddess
GWN
plantoid
sanderson
brainchasm
jazzycat
sceleste54
camprn
mollyhespra
llama momma
sfg4uKim
Triciasgarden
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

My neighbor thinks I should move my garden! - Page 2 Empty Re: My neighbor thinks I should move my garden!

Post  plantoid 6/17/2013, 5:00 pm

I solved the problem  of setting the fence forward of the recognised boundary line by putting down a once foot wide by six inches deep run of heavily re barred concrete with H section reinforced posts on my side then cast my 3 foot wide paths on my side of the new fence line .
The concrete is so finished that it slopes both ways like a capping stone from the centre of the new fence line ... a 1 " slope over one foot towards the next door and a 1 " slope over 36 inches drainage slope from the fence to the edge of my pathways .

I have slide in preservative treated larch hit and miss  panels that let most of the wind pass through but fully restrict the nosey neighbours from looking through . The fence panels are raised up at the edges and in the middle in impervious engineering brick blocks of 3 inches thickness to allow wind to blow under the fence panels to stop the bottoms rotting & the wind breaking the panels because of not having a relief route past the fence . Any creeping weeds/ plants  that came in from next door were given a dose of double strength round up from my side at the base of the fence .Laughing

They have tried to grow tomatoes etc.  in pots up against the fence on the sloped reinforced path but the wind just keeps blowing the plants over . Very Happy
The cold frame they tried to set up using the path blew apart when the wind blew hard from my side ( the east) .
They appear to have given up on their garden and now only cut the grass when their dogs muck on their scalped lawn area starts to smell or it makes it a game of hopscotch to go and peg out the washing.  .
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

My neighbor thinks I should move my garden! - Page 2 Empty Re: My neighbor thinks I should move my garden!

Post  sanderson 6/17/2013, 9:01 pm

Reality,  the Good Neighbor fence is 6' high with 6" (5 1/2") cedar boards.  Being on the corner, I can just see over as the lot grading is a foot higher than the side walk. But the spacing between the boards allows viewing of our back yard. Believe me, people are allows commenting on how nice the front yard is and how nice the star jasmine are. Then I see their outline as they tried to peak through the boards to see what we have done with the backyard. I don't mind showing people the back yard, when I am dressed and morphed into a human being, but I like my coffee and privacy in my jammies.

I just took some photos that I will try to post tonight.  We had to replace all 3 sides in the past 4 years.  The back neighbor split the cost and even though he lost his job, paid it in installments.  The side neighbor did not split the cost, and of course we had to pay for the sidewalk side ourselves.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21554

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzycat 6/17/2013, 11:08 pm

plantoid wrote:
sfg4uKim wrote:TREE & ROOT LAW

You have every right to trim any tree limbs or roots that come over onto your property so long as you don't kill the tree.

We have the same sort of law in the UK but we can do it without out the owners permission so long as we do not cut beyond the fence line  . What we must do is return all branches and leaves etc. back to the owner so as not to be accused of stealing .

Can you visualize a four foot pile of that rubbish on her front door step or drive way when she comes back from shopping ? rofl

*snicker* This gets my vote.
jazzycat

Back to top Go down

Post  WriterCPA 6/18/2013, 1:36 am

Sanderson -- back in the early '80s, CA wrote some laws to protect solar collectors -- you should check into your rights to prevent overshadowing.
WriterCPA
WriterCPA

Female Posts : 138

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/18/2013, 3:10 am

WriterCPA, Unfortunately, the laws restrict trees planted AFTER the solar system is installed. My neighbor planted her tree BEFORE we went solar. We re up a creek on this issue. We will offer to trim some of the thickness out of the top, maybe bring the height down 3-4 feet. But it's a delicate balance with this neighbor.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/18/2013, 3:27 am

Reality,  Here are the photos I took today showing the cedar good-neighbor fence and the "retaining wall/fence" my husband built.  The jasmine redwood lattices are attached to treated 4x4 posts on the privacy wall/fence.
My neighbor thinks I should move my garden! - Page 2 100_6129
My neighbor thinks I should move my garden! - Page 2 100_6130
My neighbor thinks I should move my garden! - Page 2 100_6131
My neighbor thinks I should move my garden! - Page 2 100_6132
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 6/18/2013, 11:43 am

Sanderson you sure have been through a lot and have worked so hard on what you have accomplished! Any Court dealings in California are grueling, let along a conservatorship! I hope you can work out the solar panel/tree situation!

Plantoid and Jazzycat a four foot pile of something! I wouldn't do branches or "something else" but it is fun to think of. I'm sure it would just escalate things, ah darn!

Plantoid you have a beautiful yard from the photos I have seen! I would love to see a photo of what you have done if you get a chance!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  No_Such_Reality 6/18/2013, 12:15 pm

Thanks Sanderson, that's not what I was visualizing. The angle on your original photos almost look like the lattice was on what no obviously the outside fence.

I'm surprised people are seeing through that fence. It looks really solid, with few if any gaps between the boards.

We have solar panels on our house, and as previously noted, the law is for tress after. Our neighbor also has a giant pine tree. It's easily 50 foot high. During winter, it casts a shadow starting barely past lunch.
No_Such_Reality

Male Posts : 666

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 6/18/2013, 3:42 pm

I can see through the fences into my neighbors' yards. Spaces between the boards contract and expand according to the weather. Walking along it's like an old fashion movie. I had specific incidences that made me uncomfortable and the star jasmine trellises my husband built eventually solved the problems. No more said.
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 6/19/2013, 1:45 pm

NoSuchReality no sun after noon just sounds terrible! I want to get more trees in my back yard so I can have a tranquil shady area but I also know the neighbors behind me have tiny yards and I don't want to shade them like what is happening to you.

Sanderson I can identify with your fence and spaces between the slats! It's awkward not feeling like you have the privacy you want to have.
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1634

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2