Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Container Gardening Toplef10Container Gardening 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Container Gardening I22gcj10Container Gardening 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Container Gardening Toplef10Container Gardening 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Container Gardening I22gcj10Container Gardening 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» What do I do with tomato plants?
by sanderson Today at 12:00 am

» Senseless Banter...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:32 pm

» Compost not hot
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:31 pm

» Maybe a silly question but...
by sanderson Yesterday at 11:22 pm

» Seedling Identification
by markqz Yesterday at 11:14 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 9:50 am

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie Yesterday at 1:13 am

» Manure tea overwintered outside - is it safe to use?
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:49 am

» Hi from zone 10B--southern orange county, ca
by sanderson Yesterday at 12:25 am

» Asparagus
by OhioGardener 4/17/2024, 6:17 pm

» problems with SFG forum site
by OhioGardener 4/16/2024, 8:04 am

» Strawberries per square foot.
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:22 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by sanderson 4/16/2024, 4:15 am

» April is Kids Gardening Month!
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:37 pm

» Creating A Potager Garden
by sanderson 4/15/2024, 2:33 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 4/15/2024, 9:26 am

» Butter Beans????
by OhioGardener 4/13/2024, 5:50 pm

» Companion planting
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:24 pm

» First timer in Central Virginia (7b) - newly built beds 2024
by sanderson 4/13/2024, 4:16 pm

» California's Drought
by sanderson 4/10/2024, 1:43 pm

» Sacrificial Tomatoes
by Scorpio Rising 4/8/2024, 11:40 pm

» Anyone Using Agribon Row Cover To Extend The Growing Season?
by sanderson 4/8/2024, 10:28 pm

» Soil Blocks: Tutorial In Photos
by Turan 4/7/2024, 11:41 am

» Tomato Cages Redux
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 4/5/2024, 10:30 pm

» Testing Compost for Persistent Herbicide
by OhioGardener 4/5/2024, 4:08 pm

» SFG Journey: Table top garden bed.
by OhioGardener 4/4/2024, 2:58 pm

» Hey Y'all from 9B
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:24 pm

» Hi from San Diego's North County zone 10a
by sanderson 4/4/2024, 1:09 pm

» Long Time Square Foot Gardener
by Scorpio Rising 4/4/2024, 7:50 am

» Famous Gardening Quotes
by OhioGardener 4/1/2024, 6:05 pm

Google

Search SFG Forum

Container Gardening

+8
boffer
Lavender Debs
arla
squaredeal
sanderson
quiltbea
plantoid
jimmy cee
12 posters

Go down

Container Gardening Empty Container Gardening

Post  jimmy cee 5/17/2013, 8:01 am

I've looked through both past issues of SFG page by page and cannot find any info related to container planting.
Nothing listed in the index either.
I'd like to set up a bunch of containers around the house, flowers & veggies..
Anyone have any info on this???
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Container Gardening Empty Re: Container Gardening

Post  plantoid 5/17/2013, 9:46 am

one square foot six inches deep of MM Wink ,drill a 1/4 " hole on the side of the container about an inch up from the bottom to help drain the excess water and also to retain some water to keep the Mm consistantly at the same level of moisture .

You can easily grow the longer rooted grops in tall containers .
The smaller the quicker it will get hot dry out even if you water it twice a day in hot watehr .. this causes the plants stress .

So take care with choosing of the size of container you use & where you sight it in relation to direct or reflected sun . I cite the following as my experience .

I purchased an eight story strawberry tower a few years ago ,each story had five pans for a strawberry plant ,there was a central water reservior system that let water out by capillary action & occasional single drips down on to the plants below .

In the UK we are not well known for any temps above 90 oF save for blue moon days , yet many times I found my strawbs as dry as a camels foot despite me watering them morning and early evening as the sun declined over the hill , no wonder they didn't produce any decent strawbs.
plantoid
plantoid

Male Posts : 4096

Back to top Go down

Post  quiltbea 5/17/2013, 12:04 pm

Jimmy.....I plant in containers each year, mostly in large plant pots. I grow all my determinate tomatoes this way, with a tomato cage around a bamboo pole, pepper plants do well one per pot as do eggplant. Herbs are great in pots. I have basils, cilantro, thyme, oregano in pots as well as among the flower bed. I always put some lettuces in a couple pots outside my kitchen door for a quick add to salads.
I've seen many container plantings on utube. You should check those out; container gardening. You'll find lots of information. If you can fit it in a square you can fit it in a container.
This year I've added some plants specifically bred for containers so they don't take up much space like cukes and zucchini.
Make sure you water those pots once a day and when its really hot, you'll need to water them both morning and night.
You can even use 5-gal buckets from the hardware store or those used kitty litter buckets with holes drilled in the bottoms.
The best thing, if its cold sensitive, you can lift those pots and bring them indoors on a frosty nite.
Container Gardening 06-30-10
above: Eggplants transplanted to pots last year.
quiltbea
quiltbea

Female Posts : 4712

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 5/17/2013, 12:30 pm

I've been doing containers for many years, along with the garden.
Just this year I am using MM for planting, working good in the garden so it should go well it pots also.
Plantoid, That 1/4" hole on the side is interesting although I always have enough holes on the bottom to drain any excess.
Quiltbea, last year I had 4 red bell pepper plants in one large pot, I've heard peppers like to be close to one another..
They were the nicest peppers I ever had till the deer ate them, even at that I did get some decnt peppers..This year I am planting a gorgeous pepper plant Cayanetta, see how they will do.
I was only wondering if there is much change using containers with MM.. I suppose a little common sense goes a long way.
Thanks
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/17/2013, 1:49 pm

I only have 38 square feet suitable for SFG boxes due to sun restrictions. I have close to 30 pots that I have been moving as the sun moves to the north for summer. I used MM for both. Check out You Tube for "container gardening" and "vertical gardening." And have FUN!
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21531

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

Back to top Go down

Post  squaredeal 5/18/2013, 10:07 pm

Due to last year's drought and heat, my community garden shut down all our gardens, including my SFGs. The garden was on church property and the pastor thought it all looked too weedy so all of it was removed and an expansion to their parking lot is planned. I had to give away my boxes.

So this year, on the few feet of my driveway that gets 6 hours of sun, I am planting a container garden - mostly self-watering containers. I truly miss my beautiful SFGs, but I'm hopeful that I'll have at least some veggies this summer.

Container Gardening Contai14
squaredeal
squaredeal

Female Posts : 192

Back to top Go down

Post  arla 5/19/2013, 11:29 am

Squaredeal, it looks like you have broccoli in the back row, what's the black covering over it? Just curious since I've got some broccoli growing in my SFG and they seem to be doing well, but maybe could be doing better?
arla

Back to top Go down

Post  Lavender Debs 5/19/2013, 12:36 pm

jimmy cee wrote:I've looked through both past issues of SFG page by page and cannot find any info related to container planting.
What kind of information are you looking for?

Container Gardening 3rd_we15
Barrels, cut in half length-wise, filled with MM, used for potatoes.

A wooden cradle was made to set them in allowing the barrels to set on any grade (slope). Ate potatoes from 4 barrels for most of the summer. Works well with determinant potatoes. Indeterminants (old-fashioned types that vine instead of bush like Red Lasoda and most russets) still give more potatoes using a tower system.This season I am also growing short vine, early season peas in a barrel.

Container Gardening 3rd_we16
Bever Lodge Plum Tomatoes in a $5 plastic window box filled with MM from a "we got everything" store.

I've spent a few years trying different things. Sometimes good container gardening comes down to what type of seed you plant. Beverlodge are very small plants that compete with turnips for early season ripeness. I did not realize they were so early until I got a green house.

Container Gardening 3rd_we17
These Strawberries have been in this container longer then the Toy Box is old.

This is the 6th season for these Rainer Strawberries. I have harvested strawberries and MANY daughters to start other strawberry beds. This looks to be a good crop. Last year I held my breath and cut back the foliage right after harvesting the last berry. Usually I cut back strawberry plants in September after they turn red and plan to replace the plants every 3 years. Never be afraid to try something new with your container garden.

Container Gardening 3rd_we18
Raspberries (yellow and red), Blueberries and Comfrey

Some containers only give me a taste, like the raspberries. I still get most of this fruit from farmers markets. The raspberries are in a container because for the last 4 years we have not known for sure that we could stay in our home (we still don't, but God is Good!). The idea was to make it easy to take them with us if we did have to move. We also have pear trees (one multi, one Orcas, both on dwarf root stock), cherry trees (one sweet multi, one pie cherry), an old thyme plant, a bay laurel (dicey to keep alive in PNW winters).

Other containers give and give. The comfrey comes back year after year and as long as I do the minimum, like pile fresh compost on top of the spring sprouts, it comes back lush. We keep mason bees to make sure we have plenty of tree fruit (one box of mason bees (10 bees) and a muddy spot to keep them happy; keeps EVERYTHING pollinated. No honey, but they spend the winter in the crisper drawer of my refrigerator, no need to feed them when they are not active.

Container Gardening May_1510
Crowding is good.

I used to make flower baskets and herb containers. Something I learned is that they can grow a lot closer together in a container than in the ground. They need to be fed regularly (like once a week.... I keep a tank of goldfish that were supposed to be for aquaponics... and drain off water from the goldfish to water my containers. Lush!

Stick in some seeds, stick in some plants, collect containers, think outside of the box. YOU DO NOT NEED MIRICAL GROW!!! All of my containers are organic.

Debs..... who doesn't think this is a container forum but gets why you would think we talk about it.... sfg uses all kinds of container wisdom.
Lavender Debs
Lavender Debs

http://songs-of-coming-rain.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  boffer 5/19/2013, 1:01 pm

jimmy cee wrote:I was only wondering if there is much change using containers with MM.. I suppose a little common sense goes a long way.
Thanks
Each year I find myself using more and more containers because it gives me greater flexibility in my efforts to beat the weather.

I eyeball plant spacing based on the square foot method; if in doubt, I opt to crowd rather than spread.

The other consideration is container depth. Some of them can hold a lot of MM that isn't put to good use ie. deeper than 6 inches. If I have growing medium to spare, I'll fill the container full with it, and the container then does double duty as a storage place. If your MM supply is limited, look around for various ideas to fill the bottom of the containers such that you only need to use 6 inches of MM. Various items like foam and empty plastic bottles will fill space without adding significant weight.
boffer
boffer

Male Posts : 7392

http://boffer.us/

Back to top Go down

Post  Lillyz 5/19/2013, 6:16 pm

If you have facebook, search for "Container Gardening Alliance" they have alot of information for containers.

I up potted my tomatoes from hd into a larger container of MM and in I would say 2 weeks, they had grown new roots all the way to the bottom of the container. Ive had success with planting tomatoes, poblano peppers and eggplants in containers.

Lillyz
Lillyz

Female Posts : 128

Back to top Go down

Post  CapeCoddess 5/19/2013, 6:50 pm

Before SFG, I never thought to plant for the season in a container, other than the Earth Boxes my mother uses. This year I tried potatoes in a 5 gal bucket but they never grew beyond an inch or so, then died.

Today I planted a Roma tomato and some Rainbow Chard into these 3 pots with MM: Container Gardening 100_6712

We'll see how they do.

CC
CapeCoddess
CapeCoddess

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 5/19/2013, 10:55 pm

Lavender Debs wrote:
jimmy cee wrote:I've looked through both past issues of SFG page by page and cannot find any info related to container planting.
What kind of information are you looking for?
Just general info pertaining to SFG in containers...I want to do about 10 10 - 15 gal containers scattered around the house, flowers & veggies
, even going to throw in 5 hanging baskets, one will have a cayanetta pepper plant in it..
lots of testing going on this season

Container Gardening 3rd_we15
Barrels, cut in half length-wise, filled with MM, used for potatoes.

A wooden cradle was made to set them in allowing the barrels to set on any grade (slope). Ate potatoes from 4 barrels for most of the summer. Works well with determinant potatoes. Indeterminants (old-fashioned types that vine instead of bush like Red Lasoda and most russets) still give more potatoes using a tower system.This season I am also growing short vine, early season peas in a barrel.

Container Gardening 3rd_we16
Bever Lodge Plum Tomatoes in a $5 plastic window box filled with MM from a "we got everything" store.

I've spent a few years trying different things. Sometimes good container gardening comes down to what type of seed you plant. Beverlodge are very small plants that compete with turnips for early season ripeness. I did not realize they were so early until I got a green house.

Container Gardening 3rd_we17
These Strawberries have been in this container longer then the Toy Box is old.

This is the 6th season for these Rainer Strawberries. I have harvested strawberries and MANY daughters to start other strawberry beds. This looks to be a good crop. Last year I held my breath and cut back the foliage right after harvesting the last berry. Usually I cut back strawberry plants in September after they turn red and plan to replace the plants every 3 years. Never be afraid to try something new with your container garden.

Container Gardening 3rd_we18
Raspberries (yellow and red), Blueberries and Comfrey

Some containers only give me a taste, like the raspberries. I still get most of this fruit from farmers markets. The raspberries are in a container because for the last 4 years we have not known for sure that we could stay in our home (we still don't, but God is Good!). The idea was to make it easy to take them with us if we did have to move. We also have pear trees (one multi, one Orcas, both on dwarf root stock), cherry trees (one sweet multi, one pie cherry), an old thyme plant, a bay laurel (dicey to keep alive in PNW winters).

Other containers give and give. The comfrey comes back year after year and as long as I do the minimum, like pile fresh compost on top of the spring sprouts, it comes back lush. We keep mason bees to make sure we have plenty of tree fruit (one box of mason bees (10 bees) and a muddy spot to keep them happy; keeps EVERYTHING pollinated. No honey, but they spend the winter in the crisper drawer of my refrigerator, no need to feed them when they are not active.

Container Gardening May_1510
Crowding is good.

I used to make flower baskets and herb containers. Something I learned is that they can grow a lot closer together in a container than in the ground. They need to be fed regularly (like once a week.... I keep a tank of goldfish that were supposed to be for aquaponics... and drain off water from the goldfish to water my containers. Lush!

Stick in some seeds, stick in some plants, collect containers, think outside of the box. YOU DO NOT NEED MIRICAL GROW!!! All of my containers are organic.

Debs..... who doesn't think this is a container forum but gets why you would think we talk about it.... sfg uses all kinds of container wisdom.
[i]
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 5/20/2013, 1:57 am

You can also Google "container gardening and "vertical gardening."

Some of my 30-something containers:

Container Gardening 4-27-116
Container Gardening 4-27-117
Container Gardening 4-9-1310
Container Gardening 4-27-118

Before the "madness" began!
Container Gardening 2-19-113
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 12/5/2019, 10:06 am

Bump! reading
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Female Posts : 5704

http://countrynaturals.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan in Ct 12/8/2019, 5:49 am

Container gardening is all well and good until someone with OCD decides to get in on it. The hard part is finding a very good container garden dog. Here in southern New England we call it Bucketeering.

Container Gardening P5310010
Dan in Ct
Dan in Ct

Male Posts : 295

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 12/8/2019, 10:08 am

lol! I even craft wraps and knit cozies for some of mine.  Embarassed
countrynaturals
countrynaturals

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 12/18/2019, 5:42 pm

Dan, Now, that is a bucket brigade!!

I scrolled up and saw all the pots I used the first year (2013). This summer, I sold most of them as I have about 133 in sq ft beds, or equivalent of 200 sq ft in beds, an amended strip of dirt, and totes / containers.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
Click for weather forecast
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Dan in Ct 12/19/2019, 8:51 am

sanderson, from bucketeering is how I came to Square Foot Gardening. I fell in love with Mel's concept of seed spacing when I needed the information on vegetables I had never grown before and the spacing worked quite nicely with the buckets. I no longer space my buckets out like in the picture because although it looks like there is plenty of room at transplant time, come August you can't tell the buckets are in rows and extremely hard to harvest. Now, buckets touch in a zig-zag patterned rows and with tomatoes, peppers and eggplant their cages are connected together with nylon ties with 5' between buckets. I get almost as many buckets planted out overall but change in spacing makes everything else easier.
Dan in Ct
Dan in Ct

Male Posts : 295

Back to top Go down

Post  countrynaturals 4/30/2020, 9:49 am

I love you Bump! I love you

Can't get pics to load this morning. Grrrrr! Mad
countrynaturals
countrynaturals