Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Lazy, that I am Toplef10Lazy, that I am 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Lazy, that I am I22gcj10Lazy, that I am 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Lazy, that I am Toplef10Lazy, that I am 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Lazy, that I am I22gcj10Lazy, that I am 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Happy Birthday!!
by sanderson Today at 3:09 am

» N & C Midwest: October 2024
by OhioGardener 10/16/2024, 6:18 pm

» What Have You Picked From Your Garden Today
by OhioGardener 10/11/2024, 5:31 pm

» Confirm what this is
by sanderson 10/11/2024, 2:51 pm

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 10/10/2024, 5:47 pm

» Harlequin Beetles?
by sanderson 10/7/2024, 3:08 pm

» Preserving A Bumper Tomato Harvest with Freezing vs Canning
by sanderson 10/7/2024, 3:05 pm

» Ohio Gardener's Greenhouse
by OhioGardener 10/6/2024, 4:20 pm

» Greetings from Southeastern Wisconsin
by OhioGardener 10/6/2024, 12:05 pm

» N & C Midwest: September 2024
by OhioGardener 9/30/2024, 4:13 pm

» The SFG Journey-Biowash
by OhioGardener 9/29/2024, 8:33 am

» Fall is For Garlic Planting
by Scorpio Rising 9/28/2024, 12:19 am

» source for chemical-free lanscape fabric
by Woodsong 9/19/2024, 10:51 am

» Hurricane
by sanderson 9/14/2024, 5:42 pm

» Spinning Compost Bin-need some ideas
by sanderson 9/12/2024, 2:09 am

» Old Mulch and Closing Beds for Winter
by Scorpio Rising 9/11/2024, 8:23 pm

» Pest Damage
by WBIowa 9/8/2024, 2:48 pm

» cabbage moth?
by jemm 9/8/2024, 9:15 am

» adding compost yearly
by sanderson 9/5/2024, 2:16 am

» N & C Midwest: August 2024
by OhioGardener 8/31/2024, 8:13 pm

» Article - Create a Seed Library to Share the Extras
by OhioGardener 8/26/2024, 4:09 pm

» Best Tasting Parthenocarpic Cucumber?
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 7:07 pm

» Winter Squash Arch
by SMEDLEY BUTLER 8/21/2024, 8:02 am

» Master Gardeners: Growing Your Own Blueberries
by OhioGardener 8/19/2024, 10:09 am

» Looking for a local source for transplants.... Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:26 am

» Hi, y'all. I'm new to everything in Sarasota, FL
by sanderson 8/19/2024, 3:21 am

» Starbucks for coffee grounds!
by OhioGardener 8/14/2024, 5:47 pm

» Hi from N. Georgia
by AtlantaMarie 8/13/2024, 8:57 am

» Hello from Atlanta, Georgia
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:09 am

» growing tomatoes from seed outside
by sanderson 8/13/2024, 3:05 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Lazy, that I am

5 posters

Go down

Lazy, that I am Empty Lazy, that I am

Post  jercarol 4/10/2013, 11:19 am

I love SFG but it has made me lazy. You may say that I was lazy before when I was a row gardener. Yes, I was but I HAD to get out there everyday or I wouldn't have anything to eat.

Fast forward a few years into SFG and I am a sloth. It is so easy that I am almost too lazy to harvest my crops. Thank the Lord for my helpful little ones. I am a procrastinator by nature (my wife has yet to cure me) and SFG is great for people like me with the attention span of a grass carp.

That being said my coworker took the plunge into SFG this year. He said if I could have a great garden and be as lazy as I am, he should be able to feed Africa out of his two boxes.
jercarol

Male Posts : 39

Back to top Go down

Lazy, that I am Empty Re: Lazy, that I am

Post  littlesapphire 4/10/2013, 11:24 am

He said if I could have a great garden and be as lazy as I am, he should be able to feed Africa out of his two boxes.

LOL! I understand that sentiment. I could be very lazy with my garden (and I usually do get pretty lazy toward the end), but I'm usually so obsessed with checking it that I can't help getting out there every day. SFG just makes gardening so much easier that I can actually enjoy it now.
littlesapphire
littlesapphire

Female Posts : 825

http://www.sanorigardens.org

Back to top Go down

Post  jimmy cee 4/13/2013, 8:39 am

SFG has had the opposite effect on me,although I haven't planted anything yet.
I had the book for over a year sitting on my nightstand, one night not able to sleep I opened it, started reading and realized wow this is for me.
Having all my raised beds already made and being used, I figured I was more than 1/2 way there.
I'm not trying it, I am going to make it work.
I've been wearing myself out searching for everything, rekindled old acquaintances...(farmers, horse rearing friends, garden centers, etc)
Compost...that's another science that must learned. I've always realized it's importance, however never how much.
Maybe I look at things differently than others but for me it will be the same amount of work, only in other directions..and I certainly am not complaining.
I love it all, SFG has giving me back (well almost) the energies of past fishing expeditions.
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Post  Gunny 4/13/2013, 9:42 am

I wouldn't call it lazy although the SFG boxes don't require that much work after they are set up. But composting is another mater all together. I have done more physical work composting my horse manure than I had to do most of my life. In the last three months I have gone from a waist size of 35" down to where 32"s are too big. I stand 6'4". I was at 180# now down to about 150#. I am able to turn a two yard pile in about an hour or a little longer. Lazy? If you're composting I think not. I got tired of turning the ten bin compost station awhile back so turned it into a squash patch and then a couple of weeks ago decided to turn it into a three sisters patch 40' long by 4' wide. Just have to put grids across the top to make it a semi official SFG stand up garden, lol. I get a fresh dump of manure a couple of times a week and have to move it where I can deal with it. The wife is always in a hurry to unload the trailer so the stuff is in two long piles if I'm lucky, otherwise its scattered out a bit, so have to load it in the little wheelbarrow and move it out of the way. Am thinking about the 28 day method I saw on utube where it is made into one pile, wetted down and covered with plastic, then let sit for two weeks, turned once, wetted down again and let sit another two weeks then used. Might be a bit easier on my old bones, but I question the quality of the result, not having done it this way before. Any ideas?
Gunny
Gunny

Male Posts : 158

Back to top Go down

Post  jercarol 4/13/2013, 9:12 pm

I too could not wait to try it my first year. I worked hard and then came year two. All my work was done. I only have 5, 4x4 boxes and one 3x3. I can get different composts locally. I am too lazy to compost my neighbors horse manure and our chicken poop (I do have an excuse as to horses..I am extremely allergic to them). I the chicken poop has too many pine chips in it. It would take a while to break down.

I am impressed and convicted by the posts! LOL
jercarol

Male Posts : 39

Back to top Go down

Post  Triciasgarden 4/14/2013, 1:23 am

rofl You guys are too funny!
Triciasgarden
Triciasgarden

Female Posts : 1633

Back to top Go down

Post  Gunny 4/14/2013, 1:49 am

Triciasgarden wrote: rofl You guys are too funny!

Glad you are enjoying this. It is funny when you step back and look at it from a different angle. But sometime us old salts have a different idea of what fun is. If I didn't want to do this stuff I'd be fishing every day. But I also do solar cooking so am trying to grow something I can cook in my homemade solar cookers. I am just waiting for the harvest of whats growing while I plan my real garden for the fall, then I can grow all the good stuff you guys and gals are growing or trying to grow now. I just came here at the wrong time of year.
Gunny
Gunny

Male Posts : 158

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down