Square Foot Gardening Forum
[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Can I Use this As My 5 Sources of Compost? - Page 2 Toplef10Can I Use this As My 5 Sources of Compost? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Can I Use this As My 5 Sources of Compost? - Page 2 I22gcj10Can I Use this As My 5 Sources of Compost? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

[table bgcolor=#000000 height=275][tr][td]
Can I Use this As My 5 Sources of Compost? - Page 2 Toplef10Can I Use this As My 5 Sources of Compost? - Page 2 1zd3ho10

Hello Guest!
Welcome to the official Square Foot Gardening Forum.
There's lots to learn here by reading as a guest. However, if you become a member (it's free, ad free and spam-free) you'll have access to our large vermiculite databases, our seed exchange spreadsheets, Mel's Mix calculator, and many more members' pictures in the Gallery. Enjoy.

Can I Use this As My 5 Sources of Compost? - Page 2 I22gcj10Can I Use this As My 5 Sources of Compost? - Page 2 14dhcg10

[/td][/tr][/table]
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Joann's fabric bankruptcy
by has55 Yesterday at 9:13 pm

» Senseless Banter...
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 12:11 pm

» Fire Ring / Round Raised Bed Planter
by donnainzone5 Yesterday at 11:47 am

» Galvanized Fire Ring for Rhubarb Raised Beds?
by OhioGardener Yesterday at 10:34 am

» Happy St. Patrick's Day
by Scorpio Rising 3/17/2024, 5:54 pm

» Kiwi's SFG Adventure
by KiwiSFGnewbie 3/17/2024, 4:58 pm

» N & C Midwest: March and April 2024
by Scorpio Rising 3/16/2024, 12:16 pm

» Prefab compost question
by sanderson 3/14/2024, 11:40 pm

» New gardener from Santa Fe NM
by Turan 3/14/2024, 2:06 pm

» Compost bins: Open vs. closed
by OhioGardener 3/13/2024, 5:48 pm

» Heat Mat Temperature Test
by sanderson 3/13/2024, 1:31 am

» Bokashi
by OhioGardener 3/12/2024, 5:37 pm

» Happy Birthday!!
by Scorpio Rising 3/11/2024, 10:28 am

» What are you eating from your garden today?
by Scorpio Rising 3/10/2024, 8:38 pm

» Why I love Oregano in the garden.
by OhioGardener 3/10/2024, 8:16 am

» Comfrey
by OhioGardener 3/9/2024, 6:07 pm

» Sealing Barrels Flowers Struggling-Need Ideas
by Turan 3/9/2024, 3:09 pm

» Hello again from a slightly different part of Central PA!
by sanderson 3/9/2024, 1:46 pm

» Chicken manure compost
by Oopsiedaisy 3/8/2024, 7:56 pm

» Chinese Broccoli
by sanderson 3/7/2024, 10:28 pm

» Heat Mat Lifespan
by Scorpio Rising 3/7/2024, 9:33 am

» Now is The Time To Take Seed Inventory
by OhioGardener 3/6/2024, 4:36 pm

» Mark's first SFG
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 10:55 pm

» Greetings from a haggard mom
by sanderson 3/5/2024, 2:32 am

» Drip Irrigation question
by HDNoviceGardener_CA 3/4/2024, 9:50 pm

» Recommended store bought compost - Photos of composts
by sanderson 3/2/2024, 8:20 pm

» raised bed quanders
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:32 pm

» N&C Midwest January & February 2024
by OhioGardener 3/1/2024, 7:15 am

» Seeds 'n Such Leap Year Sale
by sanderson 2/29/2024, 1:42 pm

» Horsey poop
by MrBooker 2/29/2024, 10:56 am

Google

Search SFG Forum

Can I Use this As My 5 Sources of Compost?

+8
jimmy cee
southern gardener
chjbr63
camprn
plantoid
bnoles
llama momma
Nine
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Can I Use this As My 5 Sources of Compost? - Page 2 Empty Re: Can I Use this As My 5 Sources of Compost?

Post  walshevak 3/29/2013, 12:35 pm

Safe right out of the bag. I use Black Hen and others have used Chickity Doo Doo.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
Click for weather forecast
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Can I Use this As My 5 Sources of Compost? - Page 2 Empty Re: Can I Use this As My 5 Sources of Compost?

Post  jimmy cee 3/29/2013, 3:11 pm

llama momma wrote:ok Rooster! Can I Use this As My 5 Sources of Compost? - Page 2 3170584802

Jimmycee-
I was wondering if you have woods or a park nearby. If you were inclined to collect leaves, it would be a nice source of browns. Your mix is heavy on greens. I got permission from a park to collect pine straw from certain areas of the park. They were grateful I asked before hand and were extremely nice about it.

Oh my yes
Leaves all over this place, I have 3 bags of dry, a full bin of only leaves, and a whole mess I just raked from my wife's flower beds...and I can always get more
jimmy cee
jimmy cee

Certified SFG Instructor

Male Posts : 2215

Back to top Go down

Can I Use this As My 5 Sources of Compost? - Page 2 Empty Almost There!

Post  Nine 3/29/2013, 5:00 pm

Ok Guys,
I think I'm almost there. Does everything here look ok?
1) Mushroom compost
2) Chicky Doo-Doo
3) Quoddy Blend by Coast Of Maine
4) Wiscasset Blend Earthworm Castings (this is the one I really need the ok on. It says nothing about Peat on the bag but I'd appreciate if somebody can check it out and give the ok) Unfortunately I'm not allowed to post links yet.
5) Local compost from Rodale farms
Nine
Nine

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 3/29/2013, 5:38 pm

Looks good Nine! Love that lobstah compost!

43 years a gardener and going strong with SFG.
https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-weeks-until-frost

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t1306-other-gardening-books

Can I Use this As My 5 Sources of Compost? - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Forum Moderator Certified SFG Teacher

Female Posts : 14169

https://squarefoot.forumotion.com/t3574-the-end-of-july-7-week

Back to top Go down

Post  RoOsTeR 3/29/2013, 6:49 pm

camprn wrote:Looks good Nine! Love that lobstah compost!

We don't have much of that in Colorado Sad

Can I Use this As My 5 Sources of Compost? - Page 2 Logo-111
I am my gardens worst enemy.
RoOsTeR
RoOsTeR

Male Posts : 4316

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzycat 3/29/2013, 7:32 pm

Wait. So you can put leaves in your mix? Would that count as one compost item? thinking I have tons of leafy material here at my house, but it hasn't been composted. A lot of it has been breaking down over a long period of time though. What about disease/insect issues? (Probably why it needs to be composted.)

Another question. While driving today, I saw a "free mulch" sign and learned that the city gives away mulch (from the stuff they collect every week I'm guessing). I went to the city page and apparently it's from disease-free sources of trees and shrubs the city cuts and/or collects. Don't know how "green" or "brown" it is though. Would that be suitable to put underneath a bed, in order to "fix" the soil over time? (I'm assuming it wouldn't be suitable to use as compost, if it hasn't actually been composted) Or on top, as a mulch? (I've read the "Back to Eden" thread and watched the movie, and the whole idea of wood chips has me interested.)
jazzycat

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 3/29/2013, 7:52 pm

jazzycat wrote:Wait. So you can put leaves in your mix? Would that count as one compost item? thinking
No, leaves are not considered a part of the compost blend. If you had leaf mold, yes that would be considered one source. Leaf mold is composted leaves.
I think perhaps, LM was meaning to say including leaves from the woods into a compost bin... at least is the meaning I took. Perhaps I am wrong about that.

There are certain pursuits which, if not wholly poetic and true, do at least suggest a nobler and finer relation to nature than we know. The keeping of bees, for instance. ~ Henry David Thoreau

Can I Use this As My 5 Sources of Compost? - Page 2 WxBanner?bannertype=wu_clean2day_cond&airportcode=KEEN&ForcedCity=Keene&ForcedState=NH&zipcode=03431&language=EN
camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzycat 3/29/2013, 8:23 pm

camprn wrote:
jazzycat wrote:Wait. So you can put leaves in your mix? Would that count as one compost item? thinking
No, leaves are not considered a part of the compost blend. If you had leaf mold, yes that would be considered one source. Leaf mold is composted leaves.
I think perhaps, LM was meaning to say including leaves from the woods into a compost bin... at least is the meaning I took. Perhaps I am wrong about that.

hmmmmm... I wonder if I could speed up the process with bokashi.
jazzycat

Back to top Go down

Post  camprn 3/29/2013, 8:28 pm

jazzycat wrote:
camprn wrote:

hmmmmm... I wonder if I could speed up the process with bokashi.
Let us know if that works for you. For me the dried blood sprinkle and water has always worked well at speeding decomposition of the leaves. The explanation of how is in this article.
http://www.homecompostingmadeeasy.com/carbonnitrogenratio.html

camprn
camprn

Back to top Go down

Post  llama momma 3/29/2013, 8:35 pm

Sorry to add confusion! Camp got my interpretation right. Composting as a verb: yes, composting your leaves in a bin over several months and more is great stuff. And it could consist of up to 20% of your composting ingredients. You Do Not add uncomposted leaves to your peat and vermiculite. Hope this helped.
llama momma
llama momma

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4921

Back to top Go down

Post  jazzycat 3/29/2013, 9:00 pm

Thanks llama mama. It did help.

camprn, I'm kinda on the fence about using blood and feathers and manure, etc., unless I know (for sure) the source. I'm extremely worried about exposure to gmo food and chemicals. I have a chronic illness, and all that nonsense in the food supply is why I decided to start growing some food in the first place. If I can find an organic source and it can be determined FOR SURE that it's from animals NOT being fed gmo corn or alfalfa and pumped full of chemicals and antibiotics and pesticides, then I might try using it. This is one reason why I'm going to try the azomite, to help supplement whatever I use as compost.

There are horse stables here, and the city has horses, so I'll probably see if they compost the manure and if I can get it from them. It would be easy enough to find out what they're being fed/exposed to. And there are several small organic farms that raise chickens, and a farm that raises grass fed beef nearby. I'll probably check into those as well. I imagine they do compost, but whether it's for sale to the public, I have no idea. If it is, then YAY!
jazzycat

Back to top Go down

Post  Nine 3/30/2013, 8:31 am

walshevak wrote:Safe right out of the bag. I use Black Hen and others have used Chickity Doo Doo.

Kay

Hi Walshevak,
I emailed Cicky Doo-Doo to find out what their bag sizes are and they emailed back that they think I'm looking more for a manure compost vs fertilizer. Any thoughts? If this is the case I'll continue my search for a 5th.
Nine
Nine

Back to top Go down

Post  walshevak 3/31/2013, 1:49 am

I have no personal experience with Chickity Doo Doo, but have seen it listed by others on the forum. Black Hen says fertilizer on the bag but is one of my work horse ingredients for MM. (along with black kow and mushroom compost) Others I find as I can.

Kay

A WEED IS A FLOWER GROWING IN THE WRONG PLACE
Elizabeth City, NC
Find more about Weather in Elizabeth City, NC
walshevak

Certified SFG Instructor

Female Posts : 4374

Back to top Go down

Post  sanderson 3/25/2023, 3:36 pm

This is an old thread.  Old threads should be suspect and compared against newer threads with update information.

Locking thread.

Find more about Weather in Fresno, CA
sanderson
sanderson

Forum Administrator

Female Posts : 21487

https://connect.xfinity.com/appsuite/#!!&app=io.ox/mail&

donnainzone5 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2